The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My second Necron battle....

How it was fought

By on August 29, 2008 10:57:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It was the day after my Debs. I had several glasses of vodka, not mixed, and I spent the whole day in Dublin in Games Workshop. I was also very annoyed, because I built and painted my Necron Monolith, a huge model which took me 5 hours to build and paint. One of the hours I said, "That's it, I've had! I'm walking away from this and coming back in a few minutes!" I came back though, a few minutes later. After a lot of silent cussing and venting I got it done.

Then my future opponent entered the shop while I was building and painting my Monolith. He collected the Blood Ravens. During the time I was busying away he fought and tied against an Imperial Army, massive troops were used and allot of infantry died in the battle. In the end, a tie was agreed.

A half hour before the shop closed we decided to play a match of 850 points, while I used my Monolith for the first time. Undead machine warrior Necrons versus Blood crazed, meele frenzy Blood Ravens.

The area was a wasteland after the Necrons scoured it, destroying all living things. Blasted, dead trees and sickly green/yellow grass was all that was left, and a rock hill in the distance. Suddenly the Blood Ravens appeared! Led by their heroic Chaplain and his few body guards, the meele frenzy Blood Angels appeared on the scene, reclaiming lost territory from the Tyranids. The Necrons, knowing that the ensuing battle will be tough, called down a Monolith. The Monolith silently flew down in the battlefield, slightly ahead of the soldiers, screening them from incoming fire. The crystal at the top pusling green with laser mounts all pointing at the advancing Marines. A Marine carrier quickly drove behing the Monolith and unloaded its soldiers, quickly shooting the unit of Necrons ahead. Only a few fell from the massive volley...only to stand back up again. Space Marines quickly jump packed into the fight with another unit of Necrons using their chainsaw like swords to cut them down, while Necron Destroyers were desperately, and failing, to destroy the unit behind the Monolith. The Chaplain, depserate to even the odds, ordered the Marine transport vehicle to ram into the Destroyers, only to hit nothing as the Destroyers quickly moved away. Lasers locked, the Monolith pumped death into those around it. The green crystal above feeding it power glowing menacingly. Suddenly, the air screaming and becoming hot, a drop pod almost as big as the Monolith hits the ground, spewing rubble in it's wake. Smoke covered the area. Suddenly a giant Dreadnought smashed out of the pod's doors and pounded it's way to the Monolith. By this time more Necrons were falling, the Marines hitting them with flame throwers and plasma shots, with chainswords slicing through them and the Chaplains sword cutting through them with ease, and fewer Necrons were coming back. Suddenly the Necrons in close combat disappeared, only to re-appear at the Monolith Portal, with more Necrons standing back up in that unit. Destroyers tried, but failed, to destroy the Dreadnought before it came close to the Monolith. Suddenly the Dreadnought opened fire at the Monolith! Guns blazing, rockets firing, it gave everything it had! But the Monolith still stood, with the eery green crystal glowing sick green colours. The Dreadnought then charged at the Monolith, pounding the crap out of it and destroyed it! The explosion killed several Marines and Necrons alike. With their most feared weapon out of the way, victory was in sight for the Marines. More Marines fired, more Marines charged and few died. One died from having his plasma gun backfire in his face! More and more Necrons fell, few standing back up. The Necron Lord, seeing his unit wiped out, decided to rethink it's strategy at a distance and ran, only to have the Marines catch up to it and cut the Lord down into spare parts. Suddenly, every Necron flashed green for an instant! They then started to fade away slowly, the Marines locked in close combat hitting nothing. Then, in a blink of an eye, they faded away! Not just the surviving Necrons, few there were, but even the rubble of the Monolith and every other Necron as well, as if they never were! Bloody though the battle was, it was a victory for the Marines as the Necrons faded away to their tomb for repairs. The Marines gathered what remains could be found fo their dead and headed back to their base for a proper buriel and to prepare for another assault to reclaim land.

It was an incredible match, and even the challenger agreed I did pretty well and that it could've gone either way. Even though I lost, It was a lot of fun and a match worth playing! Hopefully, in the near future, I'll have a chance of evening out the score.

0 Karma | 11 Replies
August 30, 2008 11:53:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Remember that the backbone of the Necron army is a crapload of troops. Also, you have to remember the guass weaponry rule on all of the necrons weapons (unless otherwise noted). If you didn't remember to take that into account, the Dreadnaught could have been destroyed for all you know. Overall, sounds like you fared better than I did when I used to play. You should focus more on infantry and only use the monolith on the high-point matches. Another thing to remember is that the necron lord has equipment available to him that functions in a similar manner to the monoliths portal to make up for the lack of said monolith.

Either way, nice job, I never did that well when I played.

August 31, 2008 12:25:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dorks...what are you talking about....!?!?!?!?

August 31, 2008 8:41:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, I should've used more troops, I realise that now. We took into account of the Gauss Weaponry, but the new rules for the 40K universe has made them weaker. Instead of being capable of destroying any vehicle, the most you can hope for now with them is to destroy the weapons on the vehicle. Although I heard a new Codex for the Necrons may be in production. Either way, their still cool!

August 31, 2008 8:41:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Phalnax811
Dorks...what are you talking about....!?!?!?!?
The greatest game of all time, Warhammer 40K!

August 31, 2008 12:59:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lets hope so. I also pray they maker more classes. I do remember playing against an Imperial Guard army, and he was fielding about 3 walkers and 2 tanks. You can probably imagine what happened to them against 3 destroyers and a Heavy.

August 31, 2008 1:33:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

sounds like good fun and did you enjoy writeing the story of it??? hope you do just as good in your other games.

September 4, 2008 9:58:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I do enjoy writing the story of them. I know I'm bad to a bit below average in writing them, but I aim to improve in my later battles in writing stories, and not lose again! Thanks for the support! More coming in, eventually. Just finished work this week and I start college shortly. Hopefully there'll be like minded people in college!

September 5, 2008 7:49:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow some dude actually make the blood raven army? How lame..... anyways its all about the Imperial Guard Armor Company and Tau.

September 6, 2008 8:26:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No it's not! It's about the Necrons and the Tyranids, whom I've kicked their alien ass!

September 6, 2008 4:44:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

no black templars and the inquesitors the only safe pshyers

September 6, 2008 8:00:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Maybe. But Pariahs scare the crap out of psychers, thank god. Psychers can cause so much trouble. I just love the Necrons, they suit my playing style perfectly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.