The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Question about gameplay :)

Comparing to DotA :O Oh No!!

By Posted August 17, 2008 17:52:02
Now i am a frequent DotA player (amateur league and pub games as well) And i heard this game was based off DotA. Now i am quite aware that it wont be a DotA clone so dont make any assumptions.

Anyways i was wondering if Demigod will consist of quick small games with fast progression (See: DotA) or slower progression with One Demi god leveling up and buying items over MULTIPLE games?

The easiest way to describe the first one is DotA. You start a game, pick a new hero from scratch try to level and buy items to ultimately win that game, then you make a new game, start a new hero, buy new items etc.

The second way is kind of like Rakion, or Gunz. You make a hero and join a game to hopefully win that games objectives. in the process you level and gain money. But when you "win" you can use your money to upgrade your hero and then join a new game as a stronger hero (instead of starting over like in dota)

If these are unclear, i will gladly try to re explain mroe clearly. If you understand what i mean and have a better or different way to explain it then that could help new readers. If the answer to my question is unknown to public or neither of these (Something new maybe?) then let me know Thanks

0 Karma 44 Replies 1 Referral
August 19, 2008 18:31:17
NO I DIDN'T.

No we actually have no idea how the persistence will work.You're assuming things..

Last I heard, a month ago, was that you would be able to carry CASTLE UPGRADES with you from game to game on non-ranked.

Sigh.

First, you said that there was fast progression in one game with no mention of persistance.

Then you said it wouldn't work anyway.

Then you said we had no idea how persistance would work, and that the last you had heard, castle upgrades were the only persistant part.

Then you said that there was no confirmation that you level up slowly and keep your levels.

That really really sounds like you are saying there is no persistant mode except for castle upgrades

Also, did you consider that maybe there will be a single-game leveling system AND a between-game leveling system that you use at once, with two different level-up speeds?
August 19, 2008 18:43:44
No I didn't. The posts are right there on page one in clear view.

It's easy to see what I did and did not say.

Also, did you consider that maybe there will be a single-game leveling system AND a between-game leveling system that you use at once, with two different level-up speeds?

No because the damn LEAD DESIGNER just confirmed there wasn't, just as I thought.
August 19, 2008 19:28:46
The point is that he could have been saying that you don't keep your in-game, 1 to 25 levels, and that there might be a different leveling system for persistant mode.

Either you are really thick-headed or there is some misunderstanding between us that I can't find. I'll be nice and assume it is the latter and just drop it.
August 19, 2008 19:43:14
.. so you're basically trying to say you said something different because you're afraid to be wrong?
August 19, 2008 22:55:17
There is a breakdown in communication between you two.

Innociv, what you've been reading as -- whatever you intended to say, you came across as something else -- is that there isn't a persistent mode. Additionally, simply because you don't keep "character levels" (for lack of a better term), Gnats point is that you may still keep some form of character power. Not in the sense of abilities, but as in possessing power in some form.
August 20, 2008 02:39:32
And to answer the guy the crazies missed,

Demigod was originally made for multilayer, but with Stardock's influence, there is supposedly a very cool/deep/interesting single player in the making.
August 20, 2008 09:16:17
.. so you're basically trying to say you said something different because you're afraid to be wrong?

No, I'm saying that you are still wrong but there is no point arguing over the internet when neither of us will change our opinions. I even went so far as to say that it was probably just a misunderstanding, since the only other possibility I could think of was that you simply have the intelligence of a doorknob.

I agree with Ron Lugge. Are we done now?
August 20, 2008 09:47:19
since the only other possibility I could think of was that you simply have the intelligence of a doorknob.

Now now, don't hold back, tell him what you really think of him.
August 20, 2008 09:56:04
This is where it all started:

from Archpong
Personally, and im sure you all care so much But I would love to see that career mode. Working hard to make your character truely unique over time is something i really feel the satisfaction in

Response by Innociv

why when there is only a few items and skills?..
Doesn't fit. Doesn't mesh. Isn't compatable. etc etc etc. People keep saying that but I don't see how it'd work with skills and such designed for fast progression

This reads very much like Innociv is telling Archpong that there is no career mode, that there is no way of making you character unique over time. Gnats and others are simply stating that this was incorrect, that there is a confirmed persistent mode (career) that has some effect on the gameplay.

Then there were other posts particularly from this thread:
https://forums.demigodthegame.com/318945 "So you want to be a god"

Innociv's response:
Looks like Tyo confirmed how I interpreted it was right then.

Brad is the President or CEO, or something(or both?) of Stardock.
I'm sure he has tons of influence as the head of the company Publishing, and he's a real cool guy, but he isn't the designer of the game..
Brad thought some things would be cool to have in Sins of a Solar Empire, but it didn't have them. Him thinking something would be cool doesn't mean they'll happen necessarily, whether it's a good idea or not, AFAIK.
Balancing 1 higher level demigod to fight 3-4 other ones is hard to balance and will pretty much no matter how you do it make the loser(s) feel cheater. It's been tried in lots of games. Doesn't it sound cool? YEAH! How about we have the mod tools to add that in ourselves?! Better solution! Just give us solid arena gameplay to attract a high amount of players to the core game to play our mods!

I think Scathis had a pretty perfect vision of how the game should be. I don't know Tyo as much since he just took Scathis place, but I'm very confident in him too..

Yes, Frogboy/Draginol has stated he would like to see a persistent mode with a higher ranked/tier demigod taking on lower. Yes he may not be the lead designer, but he does have alot of sway. To disregard what he would like to see in the game simply because he is not the developer is a bit of a stretch. Honestly, it simply looks like Innociv disagreed with what he said, so thus threw his input out. I believe his experience with the game and his involvement far outweighs any of ours.

Yes, Tyo has said
You don't keep your levels. Our persistent model is ... something else!

which means...? The above statement is meant to be unclear. My interpretation is that if you are playing in the persistent mode and you end the game at character level 16, then you don't start the next match at level 16. However, we have no specifics on what does carry over. Items, stats, castle upgrades, etc etc. You can argue one way or the other, but there just any information there to base your arguments on. We can all speculate but thats about it.
August 20, 2008 11:25:56
Huh?.. No because that response was WAY far down. It was a reply that was to other replies.

Seriously.. wtf.

I don't understand this. These posts are all saved, they are in clear view of what happened, and what order, on the first page.

And your reply to my big block of text is basically the same exact thing I said but reworded.
August 21, 2008 03:32:37
And now to answer the crazies:

innociv, they way you worded the first post kinda made it sound like the persistent mode was a rumor, Then others pointed out that it was actually a confirmed thing. You in response said that the link didn't confirm the existence of a persistent mode:

the Demigod will rise in level as he (or she) gains experience allowing for increasingly powerful abilities.

What is also cool is that outside these individual skirmishes these Demigods grow in power. This has some very important ramifications. Besides making the single player experience much more interesting, it introduces a much better on-line experience.

By frogboy (well... draginol, but whatever)

Quote from the link which implies the persistent mode does indeed exist! And uses levels!

Then when Tyo posted:

You don't keep your levels. Our persistent model is ... something else!

It turned out your thinking was indeed correct you don't keep your levels, BUT, all the evidence before that pointed to levels which gnats so kindly pointed out(a little after the fact though), so you we're indeed arguing against the current evidence until Tyo posted, and it still dosn't mean there isn't a second leveling system, all Tyo confirmed in my mind is you don't keep your levels from match to match, there could still be a "persistent level" or "godhood level".

Then there's your argument about Frogboy not developing it so he doesn't know what he's talking about in the link, yes true he may not be the developer, but he's the one paying the money, and to get more money, he has to know where it's going, and he has to be happy with the product. Therefore he knows whats going on much more than you.

Then gnats pointed out the above. In which you responded with a post by yourself which said something against the evidence that there are levels involved which at the time of you posting it was blatantly against all current evidence so good job posting a response, quoting yourself with an out dated argument in response to something which referred to your original statement and not the one you reposted.

So yes they are in clear view, like you have been doing for awhile you are: contradicting yourself, posting quotes (tyo/scathis/frogboy said blah) with out evidence (i.e. links), and worst of all being a hypocrite in saying they are in plain view and not looking at what is actually in plain view.

What started as a simple miscommunication, you have turned into a large argument about useless stuff, constantly contradicting yourself with out evidence except your own posts taken out of context, like you have many times before. I'm sorry but stop trolling! (I say this cause I'm starting to get annoyed with you)
August 21, 2008 09:15:06
Hmmm....well, to take this out of hostile waters. This seems to confirm the "galactic wars" variant for demigod. For those who never got to play galactic wars for Total Annihilation, what it was was a metagame with X number of planets which represented a map. These planets were split between the arm and the core (the two sides) and each planet represented a map. So then players could play on contested planets (planets adjacent to the opposing side's planets), and through winning a certain number for victories for your faction, take control of the planet (or maintain control as the case may be).

So for Demigod, it seems like you'll fight battles to gain "points" for your chosen demigod, and will likely have a way to sabotage the points of other demigods. Get enough points and you attain godhood.

Ideas?
August 21, 2008 10:55:26
Unstoppable opinion meets immovable opinion, forum-splosion!

...but on the other hand they've also promised (as in we get both) a "career" mode where you keep your progression from game to game.

Upto the highlighted bit is confirmed, the highlighted is conjecture about how the progression works (I.E. your demigod is carried forward from previous games, items/levels/everything). This is what seems to have riled up Inociv, people can get abit passionate about rumours presented as fact.

Although some players starting at a higher level was implied in Draginol's post, Scathis, still the lead designer at that point, said this 4 days later :

3. Will there be some form of persistence (e.g. permanent skills) that players can carry from game to game?

"There will! Demigod has teamed up with the guys from Stardock to use the Impulse system as our back end. This gives us the ability to have achievements in the game. Unlike other games, Demigod???s achievements will actually be upgrades to your castle. So you???ll be able to get into a game and see how advanced other players are depending on how decked out their castle is. This isn???t just visual flair either, some achievements will actually make your castle stronger."

Which does seem to contradict Draginol's previous thread, being the most recent source this seems most reliable and certainly a step away from persistant demigod levels as you see in a match.

Everyone got alittle crazy now, Inociv saw people endorsing persistant levels when they weren't and people took his arguements to be against all forms of persistance.

FYI Tyo is lead designer now, if he says levels aren't part of persistance you should believe him. If think the most likely system is you don't keep your exact level but instead progressed in a slower system that still let you start with a higher demigod level then you're assuming his response is poorly worded, outright denying something very similar without clarifying the difference. Trying to crowbar levels as a possibility in persistance now seems like stuborness.

I endorse this comparison to galactic wars though, where outcome of everyone's previous matches affects a demigod's progress towards godhood. Perhaps with a demigod's overall sucess confering benifits on his supporters.
August 21, 2008 12:07:59
Does Gas Powered Games ever answer in these threads?

I have to admit I'm confused after reading all of this.

So is there a persistent mode or not?

If there is one, is it just a ranking of your Demi God, or does he actually grow in power like the home cities in Age of Empires III?

August 21, 2008 12:52:12
Does Gas Powered Games ever answer in these threads?I have to admit I'm confused after reading all of this.So is there a persistent mode or not?If there is one, is it just a ranking of your Demi God, or does he actually grow in power like the home cities in Age of Empires III?

There is a persistant mode, that's confirmed pretty firmly now. See Tyo-Ark's response to know if GPG ever answers these threads, he is gpg when it comes to demigod.

It's the details of it haven't been set in stone yet and seem to have gone through quite a few changes already. Though and they're not keen to share any more detail yet.

The premise of the persistance is to help a demi-god actually achieve their godhood. Even how you do that's pretty vague though; it could be that every single player is competing for ultimate godhood individually.

There was talk a while back of being pledged to another demigod and helping them advance to godhood. If that's still true it might just mean you pick a side in an ongoing red team vs blue team conflict where match results go towards a team's tally, or it could be some kind of playable demigod leaderboard where everyone who plays as say, the rook, contributes to some kind of long term meta-rook score or even a player alliance/clan system. Given the number of things left open to interpretation it's a pretty nebulous concept atm.

The only other thing that's solidly confirmed is that progress in this persistant mode has a real affect on gameplay.

What that effect is isn't 100% confirmed as anything yet. There have been examples (higher levels, castle upgrades) given by devs before, but these examples have been abandoned before (higher levels -> castle upgrades) and the last example I saw was back in July so they're not a great indication of whatever they're working on atm.
August 21, 2008 13:12:45
Frogboy might of meant "levels" as in "rank" like Halo has on Xbox Live.

And I didn't say Frogboy doesn't know what he was talking about.
And You just reworded what I said myself for the rest of that, so.. dunno what you're telling me. :/

And I NEVER contradicted myself.
And i'm sorry.. look for the evidence yourself. They're all in that "news thread". I have access to the same information you all have.
August 21, 2008 13:21:11
"Is there a persistent mode?" Yes.

"Do we know the details?" No.

"Can we speculate and argue about the details (which we don't know)?" Apparently so.

August 21, 2008 13:30:39
Does Gas Powered Games ever answer in these threads?I have to admit I'm confused after reading all of this.So is there a persistent mode or not?If there is one, is it just a ranking of your Demi God, or does he actually grow in power like the home cities in Age of Empires III?There is a persistant mode, that's confirmed pretty firmly now. See Tyo-Ark's response to know if GPG ever answers these threads, he is gpg when it comes to demigod.It's the details of it haven't been set in stone yet and seem to have gone through quite a few changes already. Though and they're not keen to share any more detail yet. The premise of the persistance is to help a demi-god actually achieve their godhood. Even how you do that's pretty vague though; it could be that every single player is competing for ultimate godhood individually. There was talk a while back of being pledged to another demigod and helping them advance to godhood. If that's still true it might just mean you pick a side in an ongoing red team vs blue team conflict where match results go towards a team's tally, or it could be some kind of playable demigod leaderboard where everyone who plays as say, the rook, contributes to some kind of long term meta-rook score or even a player alliance/clan system. Given the number of things left open to interpretation it's a pretty nebulous concept atm.The only other thing that's solidly confirmed is that progress in this persistant mode has a real affect on gameplay.What that effect is isn't 100% confirmed as anything yet. There have been examples (higher levels, castle upgrades) given by devs before, but these examples have been abandoned before (higher levels -> castle upgrades) and the last example I saw was back in July so they're not a great indication of whatever they're working on atm.

Thank You
August 21, 2008 14:25:08
"Is there a persistent mode?" Yes."Do we know the details?" No."Can we speculate and argue about the details (which we don't know)?" Apparently so.

Right. We don't know what it is, but we do know what it isn't.

All I've been saying is what I know it isn't and people keep telling me it's wrong when it's what the devs have said..

Often what the devs say is subject to change, but they are very smart and know what is good and bad. Keeping your characters levels in any sort of game mode i pretty bad for how the game is "structured" like I explained before with my D2 analogy.
Stardock Forums v1.5.3141.15280
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 17:33:16
Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000015   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.

Gas Powered Games and Demigod are trademarks of Gas Powered Games Corp. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Stardock and the Stardock logo are registered trademarks of Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.