The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kudos to impulse, we love it! and don't let the tin foils put you off!

By on August 10, 2008 6:54:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am seeing thread after thread of people claiming to hate impulse, mostly via wild tin foil hat theories such as "impulse COULD be spyware even if it everyone insists it isn't" or "impulse COULD potenatially be DRM even though it isn't" with about as much logic and science as the radio brainwashing theories.

So. Here is a thread for people to give a shout out to our friends at SDC and remind them those are just some few weirdoes. Chime in and let stardock know you love impulse.

I love impulse!

+56 Karma | 109 Replies
August 12, 2008 10:37:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
So are you! Meh, I'm content with being second though

Plus I'm cheaper, and can double as an encyclopedia with appropriate module plug-ins. Currently, you get the Sins-opedia for free if you register
August 12, 2008 10:58:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
with appropriate module plug-ins.
Zubaz steps away from the gamer . . slowly so as not to alarm it.
August 12, 2008 11:00:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
????There can be only one eet, though
August 12, 2008 11:17:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
here can be only one eet, though
Thank the Maker.
August 12, 2008 11:22:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Zubaz steps away from the gamer . . slowly so as not to alarm it.

I've been running. But every time I pass a wifi hotspot, there it is! LMAOing at me!

There can be only one eet, though

The secrets the old threads hold...

What was that about being on topic?
August 12, 2008 11:28:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Thank the Maker.

The Maker is cruel. He exists only to make fun of us all.

The secrets the old threads hold...

What was that about being on topic?

Nowadays, you have to hang out in the #demigod IRC to know. But once the testing picks up its forums will probably help Eetmorsqrls is an old Sins beta tester, who basically fits the mold of a clown. If you think I'm goofy, he can put me to shame sometimes. A basic rule of thumb when talking to him: anything you say can and most likely will be turned into an enuendo Hence my reply to Zubaz' quote

As far as being on topic.. no comment
August 12, 2008 11:48:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Nowadays, you have to hang out in the #demigod IRC to know
Unfortunately, you can find him on #stardock too

[if you are using Impulse you can easily join us bu selecting the Community tab adn then the chat button]
August 12, 2008 11:55:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hey there's an idea, I never idled in #stardock.
August 12, 2008 2:36:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Unfortunately, you can find him on #stardock too

nah....eets finds me wherever I decide to hide! ????

There is no running from the force that is eets......hehe
August 12, 2008 2:39:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
He used to hide in the bushes and stalk me on the way home. I was scarred for a while, but then he made it all better.
August 12, 2008 3:00:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm not sure I want to know how...
August 12, 2008 3:04:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You are wise. It was a bit messy, but in the end successful.
August 12, 2008 4:24:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
i have been noticing its the same few users making all those hostile, senseless, paranoid accusations. I wonder if they all have the same IP as well. (I would rather think they are a paid sabotour by someone then that they are serious. My faith in humanity would suffer much less that way).
August 12, 2008 5:54:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Well, I have been noticing the same few fanboys making all those pro StarDock, no matter what, posts. I wonder if they all have the same (StarDock) IP as well ????

There might be one or two trolls out there, but most users will only access the forums if they encounter a problem. And yes, they may be annoyed, so expect your share of hostile posts. But they are not senseless and they are not paranoid. Not trusting a software company on its word is a very sane thing to do nowadays, I'm afraid. Hey, Brad himself has admitted he is just an evil capitalist
I will make an exception for those making personal attacks (never warranted), and for those which are so fed up with Stardock that they decided to ditch the company. I don't blame them, if you're fed up with a company you should leave. But unfortunately it is very natural reaction to give a few angry kicks to the company in question. For StarDock this translates to some angry, unsubstantiated postings in the forums. I see the same thing in the forums associated with online games I frequent. I agree those posts are almost never helpful in itself. The number of them is an indication though for the company on how it is doing in its customer relationship.

Oh, and to stay on topic, yes, I do prefer Impulse over Stardock Central, I think ????
??
August 12, 2008 6:03:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Well, I have been noticing the same few fanboys making all those pro StarDock, no matter what, posts. I wonder if they all have the same (StarDock) IP as well ????

"Fanboys"? ???? I think you mean Fanboi....and nope...nada....zippo..not me! ???? I'm not one of those...??????

hehe
August 12, 2008 7:32:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
My only remaining problem with Impulse is the initial load time. Which I've been told is mostly due to checking the servers on load. One solution would be a user-based advanced option to streamline what is checked, I'm sure the apps users wouldn't care about the games necessarily, or vice versa.

I still think SDC is more useful, but Impulse is less annoying now then Steam, and it has improved.

August 12, 2008 7:39:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
fanboys

Certainly not.
August 12, 2008 7:49:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
It's been my experience with such things that trying to refute "fanboyism" is only further proof in the accusers' eyes that you are one. In other words, it's pointless
August 12, 2008 8:10:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's been my experience with such things that trying to refute "fanboyism" is only further proof in the accusers' eyes that you are one. In other words, it's pointless

OK...I'm a 'fanboy' then.  I do absolutely nothing on this planet other than attempt to maintain the brown-ness of my nose....

Stardock's staff are typically indicated by the tag/icon/image thingie under their nick at left.

Even multiple accounts by anyone are 'verboten'...when located the 'duplicates' are removed.

Probably the only exceptions would be Frogboy/Draginol [SD's CEO] and me....and mine's kinda bleeding obvious [I have 4 ... intended for access testing]...Jafo/Jafo1/Jafo2/Jafo3 ...

Definition of fanboy/fanboi ....a person who holds a diametrically opposing opinion to the person claiming 'fanboyism' that thus supports that entity which the person dislikes/objects to.

Ultimately THAT is the definition of 'pointless'...

August 12, 2008 8:15:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, I have been noticing the same few fanboys making all those pro StarDock, no matter what, posts. I wonder if they all have the same (StarDock) IP as well

Have you noticed that it's also the same few whiners "no matter what" posting in the impulse threads as well?
August 12, 2008 8:15:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hey, Monk,

Do you have anything constructive to say?
In any thread?

???

Hey Red Cross,

Have you ever delivered any aid?
To any country?

August 12, 2008 8:19:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Fanboy... a fan, and a boy. Mmmm, (looks in pants). I guess I am one.

But:
Well, I have been noticing the same few fanboys making all those pro StarDock, no matter what, posts. I wonder if they all have the same (StarDock) IP as well

Hardly, its just that stardock treats its customers very well. Especially compared to other companies (it is one of the best, if not the best, at that regard).

I assure you if stardock started requiring me to have the CD in the drive to play and bundling a hidden driver to check if my CD is not mounted on an emulation program then my appreciation would turn to anger.

The claims against stardock are unwarranted because they are all "what ifs". what IF stardock decided to start bundling DRM, what IF stardock went udner, what if stardock added spyware.

In reality stardock DOESN'T do those things. And if it did happen, there would be enough pirated copies on the net for you to get access to your legally purchased software without their help.
August 12, 2008 10:08:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
theleif,

You made my day. ??
August 12, 2008 10:48:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm having no problems using it however just getting accustomed to the layout. Of course experiences vary and there will be those who just won't like it at all. All in all kudos to Stardock's forward thinking by upgrading their distribution system.

What I find quite amusing are some comments with pretty asinine complaints and some even go as far as comparing Stardock with Microsoft attempting to make some strange comparisons of the two and how they are both out to take away consumer rights.. (???)

August 13, 2008 4:55:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
...What I find quite amusing are some comments with pretty asinine complaints and some even go as far as comparing Stardock with Microsoft attempting to make some strange comparisons of the two and how they are both out to take away consumer rights.. (???)

HA! I didn't see that specific comment, however it doesn't surprise me. I am amazed at how much pissing and moaning go on... "First and last buy', 'IMPULSE SUCKS', 'Impulse is junk' are just a few of the thread titles I see in the forum. Like every consumer, fayboys and non-fanboys (what exactly is the term for the opposite of fanboy anyway) of all stripes have a certain inalienable right... They can vote with their feet. Everything else is just so much hot air...

Now... back on topic... I don't like Impulse in it's current incarnation. Mayhap it's because I'm old and just don't like change, but in truth it feels unfinished and unpolished. (That blue SD orb... shakes head) Some of it is the layout, some of it is the transport/communication methods and most definitely the backend is limping, some of that is the integration with other SD offerings like MyColors. (And I don't really like MyColors either) And I really, really dislike the removal of the download and archive functionality that was present in SDC.

All that being said I know the Phase 2 'stuff' is coming, if it's not already here so I am expecting things to improve. However, what was that option in the poll the other week.... Oh ya... They'll have to pry SDC out of my cold dead hands.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.