The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Okay, I'm starting to get excited

By on August 10, 2008 12:09:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

image If you've ever worked on a game, you know that for 80% of the process, the game is little different from any other development endeavor. It's not "fun". You aren't "playing" the game, you are simply working on it in the hopes that it will be fun at some point.

Galactic Civilizations, for instance, was incredibly boring until the final months. We were starting to sweat it but then, like the flick of a switch, it came together and was very fun. Sins of a Solar Empire was extremely tedious until the last few months of development. But then, as players saw, it came together and started being awesome.

And so it's starting to come together with Demigod.  We still have a lot of work to go. But even with lots of features not enabled yet, I find myself enjoying myself playing just against the computer players in a 3 on 3 game (all AI except me).  I just love the various powers that the Demigods have, the items are really fun to mix and match.  I'd say it's about 60 days away from being at that point where, like Sins and GalCiv before it, Demigod gets the critical mass of "fun stuff" in that it starts to become a problem internally (i.e. where we have to limit "testing" to non work hours).

-Brad Wardell = Draginol = Frogboy.

+83 Karma | 42 Replies
August 10, 2008 12:18:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Regulus!!!
August 10, 2008 12:21:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
"18:13:00 |Sevenix: we havnt seen Regulus on any screenshots yet though, he may still just be concept"

thats 12:13 for you...
August 10, 2008 12:25:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Regulus has the same health and reload bars and text as in Supcom ????
August 10, 2008 12:27:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Can we have one of the Plantgirly one next?
August 10, 2008 12:30:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
haha! it does
August 10, 2008 12:42:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
This journal seems pretty conveniently timed actually. One day they say the beta won't have many features and won't be fun, so the next day they release a journal saying how awesome it is when they add features - a way to tease/torture the fans. The "it is fun with AI's" part seems like it is meant to reassure those of us who are dissappointed at the lack of muliplayer at first. It also has a possible clue as to when the next stage of the beta will start (60 days from now) and conveniently links to two of Stardock's other games - games that we could play to keep busy while we wait. ????
August 10, 2008 12:43:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
First, sry for double posting that (in a similar thread). I am just gettign excited too (which isnt easy thing because, these days our new house will be finnished and will buy a dog, and in half an year will become daddy:)), and want to know more about that stuff:)
So...

About Demigod now. All the information mentioned in the press releases and interviews by developers and Stardock seems very promising , BUT one thing that concerns me pretty much. I am talking about that u will have only 2 types of heroes. That doesn't seem enough to me to offer the level of customization per hero, which would delight the regular DotA player. I know that the game has a variety of other aspects that will be much deeper integrated in Demigod, than they are in DotA, but anyway take a look at DotA. The funniest part is the wide variety of heroes u can choose between, and the many different way to build up each one of them with so many items available.
That i doubt will be that good implemented in Demigod, with only 2 types of heroes.
Please surprise me, and prove me wrong:)
August 10, 2008 12:56:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Argh! Stop torturing us! All these journals come and tempt us yet there is still such a long way until we can try it.. You guys certainly know what you are doing
August 10, 2008 1:05:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
About Demigod now. All the information mentioned in the press releases and interviews by developers and Stardock seems very promising , BUT one thing that concerns me pretty much. I am talking about that u will have only 2 types of heroes. That doesn't seem enough to me to offer the level of customization per hero, which would delight the regular DotA player. I know that the game has a variety of other aspects that will be much deeper integrated in Demigod, than they are in DotA, but anyway take a look at DotA. The funniest part is the wide variety of heroes u can choose between, and the many different way to build up each one of them with so many items available.That i doubt will be that good implemented in Demigod, with only 2 types of heroes.Please surprise me, and prove me wrong:)

There are only two types but there are a bunch of Demigods of each type, all of which play very differently. Dividing them into two groups makes it easier to understand what you are doing but really individual Demigods of each type will be types of their own.
August 10, 2008 1:35:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
For a heroe Regulus looks a bit small, i wonder how you can find him in a large clash of armies?
August 10, 2008 1:40:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I am not sure but that stuff in the upper right looks like the fog of war.
August 10, 2008 2:01:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About Demigod now. All the information mentioned in the press releases and interviews by developers and Stardock seems very promising , BUT one thing that concerns me pretty much. I am talking about that u will have only 2 types of heroes. That doesn't seem enough to me to offer the level of customization per hero, which would delight the regular DotA player. I know that the game has a variety of other aspects that will be much deeper integrated in Demigod, than they are in DotA, but anyway take a look at DotA. The funniest part is the wide variety of heroes u can choose between, and the many different way to build up each one of them with so many items available.
That i doubt will be that good implemented in Demigod, with only 2 types of heroes.
Please surprise me, and prove me wrong:)

Each hero is extremely unique. You're thinking of types as being akin to classes. That's not the case.  The types of heroes has to do with the way the game is played, not how different the heroes are.

August 10, 2008 2:39:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
man... each passing day makes it harder and harder to wait. not that i have a choice, but i can't stop thinking about how awesome this game is going to be. I can't wait for the beta so i can get just a little taste of what you have in store for us!
August 10, 2008 3:33:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
By the way an analogy for DotA players:

Every hero in DotA is an assassin type hero (some blur the lines a little), look at the diversity there.

Now add another type of hero: even more diversity.

DotA is less diverse than demigod (though it may take awhile to get there, but it has the potential)
August 10, 2008 3:56:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
the balance between Assasins and Generals will be hard to achive, but the concept is great. i like new concepts and i will add Demigod to my clan as one of the games we will play as an esport title
August 10, 2008 4:03:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Frogboy why do you have an alternate account?
August 10, 2008 4:09:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Regulus has the same health and reload bars and text as in Supcom   

Never change a winning team

the balance between Assasins and Generals will be hard to achive, but the concept is great. i like new concepts and i will add Demigod to my clan as one of the games we will play as an esport title

/sign
August 10, 2008 4:11:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It has been shown in other screenshots as well but the colour distinction between those minotaurs is very clear here. Nice to see the devs aren't limiting themselves to only coloured breast/shoulder plates and icons.
August 10, 2008 4:46:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Will the graphics engine be amazingly scaleable like Sins was? i.e it'll look fantastic on a higher end machine, but can still run decent on more plebian P.C's
August 10, 2008 5:16:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Thats what they hope to test with beta 1, the supcom engine was a beast (thats what demigod is based off of) it required 2 cpu's and a decently good video card to run well... Beta 1 is to see if they've successfully optimized and scaled the engine, as well as engine bug testing.
August 10, 2008 6:03:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Good to hear the AI is pretty fun to play against. I thought it said that the initial beta will have ability to play MP over LAN. If that is the case we could all play over hamachi. Hamachi is how I play my friends in DOTA all the time and it works great.
August 10, 2008 7:01:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Okay, I'm starting to get excited

Only now? You must be hard to excite.
August 10, 2008 7:57:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
As I have been pursuing these forums, reading and re-reading all information I can find on this soon to be epic new game, something strange and wonderful has occurred to me. It???s Sunday. No really, it???s Sunday August 10th. So what???s so ???strange??? about this you may be asking yourself? What could possibly be ???wonderful??? about the last day of the weekend?

In an oddity of humanity, developers of this wonderful game appear to actually be informing the soon to be consumers of how the game is progressing (on a Saturday and Sunday even!). As strange as many would find it, this new concept of building momentum and excitement, may in fact eventually translate in to higher profits. This seemingly alien concept appears to come naturally to Frogboy and the rest of the team in the Stardock forums; yet this same concept seems to have eluded many other companies which build momentum only to ignore the general populous to the point of angering many. Well done Stardock! Well done!

So aside from my name possibly scaring Frogboy, I simply wanted to relay my thanks to all of you guys. I???m beyond excited at the thought of getting to be in on the beta of this game, and I know the other people I have convinced to preorder are too. Keep those Journals coming guys they???re great fun to read and such pretty pictures! Hope to see y???all in game soon!

~Frogpills
August 10, 2008 10:51:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You must be hard to excite.

Win.
August 11, 2008 3:02:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
One thing i was wondering...does every demigod use the same basic units that make up his army? like:
1st tier : Minotaurs
2nd tier: Angels
3rd tier: Giants

All the demigods will use these same units and progression? Or do you guys plan on making different units for each demigod? or atleast skinning them differently for each demigod and not just a color swap?
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.