The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Manual

By on August 8, 2008 3:09:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I have got a question regarding the manual. In the beta test we will find bugs/suggest new ideas and the balance of course. What I was wondering is if we also 'test' the manual in all the languages, because in the manual of Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance there was a small mistake. There were two identical pictures on page 17. Note: I have the german version of it.
I  also would like to receive it in all of the different languages, because there also may be some language specific problems.
What is very important: The Supreme Commander manuals had no mass/energy data for the units list.
+2 Karma | 3 Replies
August 8, 2008 4:18:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I think the issue with Supcom not displaying Cost values of units was because the game was largely based off the numbers. And with frequent balance changes there no guarantee the the released unit costs would be the same as patched unit costs. As far as errors go, Yes errors happen, but they are not always on the devs end. Sometimes it's a printers error in the transfer process. Things like that happen.

As a child i always thought a good manual defined a game. Just look at the manual for the original Red Alert, or the game in the Warcraft series, those are like novels!(not saying GPG needs to make a novel) but a level of detail above everything else really goes a long way... especially when your manual is a tech tree...(looking at you Forged Alliance) Of course it could be argued Print and production costs of detailed manuals eat into the profit figures of a release, and as an avid lover of money myself I couldn't fault anyone for that. -unless it were just a tech tree
August 8, 2008 6:43:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Most manuals are .pdf only today. So I don't think you can blame the printer's errors.
I wish there would be more lovely made manuals like in X3. It had even colors. Today the manuals when they are printed are just Quick Starts or they are being printed on toilet paper (Lego Mindstorms NXT, you know what I mean).
August 8, 2008 9:52:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
The manuals aren't finalized until very late in the beta anyway, once everything stops fluctuating. As a sometimes unwanted side effect, that also means the game itself becomes locked down because the manual needs to match the release.

And today, publishers try to save costs.. printing those "book" manuals isn't cheap. Even the game boxes themselves are something like half the size of what they used to be. C'est la vie.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.