The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Tactics

And environments

By on July 1, 2008 7:12:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
First of all, goodluck with the game G.P.G.! As an avid DOTA-gamer and Gas Powered-fan, I look forward to this first retailgame entry in the young strategy/rpg genre.

Here's my two cents. When looking at the screenshots, I notice the playing fields are very open. There's no fog of war. There are no places to hide. There are no alternative paths to take. This means you are either going for a hack 'n slash direct confrontation or you are still developing the arena concept. I really hope it's the latter. I know this isn't the same game as DOTA (just inspired by), but one of the things that makes that game so fun and challenging for (pro) teamplayers, is the tactics the environment offers. Hiding for a moment out of the line-of-sight to surprise lone Demigods. Using smart pathing through the trees to escape an ambush by a group of enemies. Or simply retreating into the fog-of-war to unexpectedly switch sides with a more effective teammate. These are all tactics that greatly enhanced the concept of multi-player team-rpg's. If you take that out, all that remains is pure combat (the biggest guy always wins) and no interesting team tactic. It's also one of that factors that prevented the imbalance that plagued related games as Footmen Frenzy/Wars. (btw, I read a reaction on this forum that Footmen was more balanced that Dota. I strongly disagree. With good teamwork and tactics a losing team can always make a comeback in Dota, while with Footmen some people get overpowered too quickly and the game is lost). Demigod balancing, item balancing, level balancing, structure balancing, footsoldier balancing, etc are all very important. But what makes a game a teamgame is the tactics they can use. So I really would like to hear what Gas Powered Games has to say about their environments and how they expect teams to play.

0 Karma | 5 Replies
July 2, 2008 4:30:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Fog of war will be definitely in, Scathis already said that we will be very pleased with the fow implementation in demigod - nothing is known about line of sight so far though. Putting obstacles on maps shouldnt be a problem either.
One of the main advantage over Dota is that Demigod will have different maps so we most likely get alot of diversity and even if the stock maps aren't that awesome, there can always be community build custom maps - they haven't confirmed yet if the game ships initally with a map editor, but even if not it will be most likely added later or someone will build an unofficial map editor like it was done in supcom before the official was released.
If there is no line of sight there is still the possibilty of stealth/cloak using abilities/items or as area effect around some regions/objects/buildings. latter could be build into custom maps without problems and I am pretty sure some heroes have something to cloak (nothing officially said about it yet though)
July 2, 2008 11:23:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Yeah, I don't think there's much to worry about here, re Scathis's earlier comments about FoW.
July 2, 2008 7:41:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Ok thanks, good to hear.
July 28, 2008 4:58:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
I could just see the lowly soldier or smaller class demigod suddenly look up, and see a towering Rook (huge behemoth power assassin) just come charging out of a cloud of fog and say...... awwwww man here comes the hurt.(while my hidden assassins pop up right behind him to deal with the charging foe).

Not an actual I can't see you dark part of the world Fog of War liek in most games mind you, but an actual real life white cloudy fog.

I could definitely picture something like that in a jungle or marsh type map, enemy's jumping out from cover in the mist to flank an unexpecting foe.....
July 31, 2008 7:18:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Well, i think its gonna be a setting, like heavy,(dunno...) light or no fog of war.

I like fog of war, it gives more strategy bases attackts instead of "he can see what units i have, and where i have them. I might as well just send them over to hes base in 1 big formation and see what happens"
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.