Demigod a Simulation?

By Posted April 10, 2008 13:29:23
With Demigod using the same engine as supreme commander I cant stop to think whether or not the missiles in the game will be simulated or not.

Also one can look at the screenshots of Demigod and see the same flaws as in Supreme commander, one of them being that all effects are made to be seen from above so if you look at them from a lower angle you see that they are actually flat. It worked out in SupCom but perhaps they should put some effort into fixing it for Demigod which will be played as a FPS for some.
8 Replies 1 Referral
April 10, 2008 17:40:51
I was wondering this as well.

A lot of us liked how supcom was physics-balanced instead of balacned with armor and damage types.
A units dps and all might seem nice, but if it had a high arc and a slow projectile it'd miss alot. Then again, an arcing shot would make it fire over hills while something that fires straight could lose a ton of DPS.

And Demigod won't be played in first person i'm almost certain.. I dunno where you heard that. Screenshots are just taken in a way to be more cinematic.

"Dancing" Your troops or Demigod should be important to avoid arrows, for example, IMO.
As such, slower moving big units (like the Rook, I'd imagine, and those giants) would take more dps from arrows due to not being able to avoid them well, masses of troops would be more subsceptable in that dancing so many just moves one unit out of the way and in turn puts another in the way of the arrow. But something like Torchbearer(I think the name is), that Demigod is much smaller, and maybe it's faster, and could possibly be danced out of the arrows path. Thus, Arrows are better against that one scenario, worse in the other, without arrows having some arbitrary damage bonus/reduction.

That type of thing makes more since, intuitively. When you play a game you can instantly get why they're better in that case and suck in another, and you learn not to use too many archers against Torchbearers, but that they're deadly against the bigger slower thing and big masses of units that can't be moved fast enough.(if this was the case. I'm just making crap up for example.)
April 10, 2008 18:34:57
Hm yeah I didnt mean to say FPS but I have gotten the impression that the viewpoint for a General hero will be classic RTS while the viewpoint for an Assassin would be more WoW/Third Person.

And hopefully the arrows and such will be simulated but then that doesn't have to out rule skills such as "10% less damage from arrows" as Id like to see both things.
April 10, 2008 19:10:47
I wasn't referring to skills giving damage reductions.
To be more clear I meant armor and damage types.. Like this unit has "leather" armor, and this unit does "peircing" damage, and peircing damage does X% damage to 20 different armor types and to leather it may have a bonus.. Those kind of things are unintuitive as it just requires senseless memorization of what does what damage to what and what has what and does what.

But what would be cooler in that case is if the skill made the Demigod turn ethereal or phase out for a split second and the projectile or arrow pass through it, not just a plain boring damage reduction per hit.
April 10, 2008 21:24:53
Those kind of things are unintuitive

except in that they mimic real life. I agree with you that some games turn it into senseless memorization, but archers with bladed arrows should be more effective against lightly armored units and flat headed arrows should be more effective against knights with heavy armor, the same being true with light weapons against heavy armor, the ability of a unit to dodge is important, but certain armors are made to fight certain weapons and IMO that should be reflected INTUITIVELY so you dont have to sit there and memorize, but you can automatically know that your cavalry will be instaraped by a group of pikemen.

i'm new to these forums so tell me if i'm wrong about this though <3
April 10, 2008 22:56:07
You're actually right and I gave a bad example..

But it's like you say, some games take it to extremes.

I really think something like "light, medium, strong" and "light, medium, strong" armor and damage type is enough. It's enough to simulate arrows being great against lightly armored/unarmored looking weak targets, but the arrows basically bouncing off thick armor and buildings, among most other things. And the rest of the balance can be handled more intuitively.

Now some games get into having all kinds of elemental damages, and you have bludgeoning, slashing, peircing, etc kind of damages. And most of these damage and armor types will be exactly the same except one gets some extra bonus against one specific armor type.
April 10, 2008 23:49:14
I hope they do it like SupCom, where large and powerful units just were given a SH-- load of health. No special % or any of that crap it's just simplely give it more health. It's easier to remember and easier to find out exactly how long unit X takes to kill unit Y. (Just health Divided by incoming DPS, instead of finding each units armor and each units damage type, then finding out how much DPS is "wasted" vs the type of units your working with and then doing the math.)

Plus the "HOLY CRAP" moment when you see a certain units health is 6 digits long. (Remembers the first time I saw a Galactic Colossus in Vannila SupCom)
April 11, 2008 00:35:44
Demigod is an action game, so simulation is definitely the way to go. It's debatable in an RTS, but not having simulation wouldn't make any sense in Demigod.
April 13, 2008 17:24:07
Demigods need to be able to get over 9000 health at least, and some be able to do over 9000 damage.

But not in all cases, or else it's nothing special.
Stardock Forums v1.5.3019.23903
© 1995-2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.
All times are EST. The time is now 12:32:47
Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:
?? 2008 Stardock Corporation. All rights reserved.