The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Wikipedia being charged for use of banned Nazi Symbols

By on December 7, 2007 10:23:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
This is almost so bad its funny... except its to bad to be funny:

WWW Link

Someone is filing charges against wikipedia over the use of "banned Nazi symbols" in its articles on the Nazis. The lady in question appears to want to set guidelines, rather than actually pull people up on charges, but still!
+61 Karma | 92 Replies
December 7, 2007 10:27:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Historical facts enrage me!

I demand they all be altered as to fit my own distorted world view immediately!

Thats how this case comes across to me anyways.

December 7, 2007 10:31:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thats how this case comes across to me anyways.

At first blush, same here, but read the article a little -- basically, the lady in question feels they went too far, with more images than they needed.

Still ridiculous, but not stupidly so.
December 7, 2007 10:37:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sounds like someone with waaaaaay too much time on their hands.
December 7, 2007 11:02:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Actually, part of this is reasonable: In Germany you cannot display those images. In fact, your website will be forcefully closed and the viewer, even if surprised or ignorant (the latter is unlikely), could potentially get into trouble. Assuming either the host or viewer were in Germany. Don't forget Germany is a police state, and you are guilty unless proven innocent.

In a way it is justifiable for them to take offense, just look at what Nazism and WWII did to them! But, taking it out on an encyclopedic website based, as far as I know, outside Germany (where their jurisdiction is weak) is going too far. As the lady said, "The extent and frequency of the symbols on it goes beyond what is needed for documentation and political education, in my view. This isn't about restricting freedom of opinion, it's about examining what the limits are." And this isn't even about the English side of the site, but the German side having too many Nazi symbols and material. In this page I see only two, but that is only one page and I don't understand German--neo-Nazism is a huge concern of theirs.

In some ways it might be going too far, and in others it is quite the valid concern. Just look at the recent Finnish school shooting, you won't find much different between the killer's belief's and Hitler's. I have a feeling this debate won't be ending quite so soon.

Historical facts enrage me!

I demand they all be altered as to fit my own distorted world view immediately!
I don't see it that way, but more of a "damage control" some German politicians want to enact against potential neo-nazis. (Note that I don't agree with the methods, but I'm trying to understand what she's at least thinking.) The recent past is a large amount of censorship and banned products. While Germany might not be able to censor wikipedia, all they have to do is, like some countries blocking YouTube and Facebook, block the site. She seems bothered only by the frequency of the symbols, rather than their actual presence or documentation; the future will show if it is lobby for utter removal, rather than restriction of number.
December 7, 2007 11:05:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
unfortunately germany isnt acting all that mature against its neonazis, in effect its politically softened hypocrisy.
December 7, 2007 11:10:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Almost as worse as Pepsi removing the "Long Term Health Effects" from their Wiki Article.
December 7, 2007 11:13:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yes but how does limiting the number of images advance that cause? What power does a picture have that the rest of the information in the article doesn't? I don't look at a swastika and have a sudden urge to kill Jews or conquer Europe or bleach my hair and goose step around the block.

Would you rather have someone come across this kind of content on a site like wikipedia which is going to give some fairly objective analysis of the subject or stumble across it for the first time on some neo-nazi site?

Edit: just for clarification this post was in response to Wicked Flea... couple others posted while I was typing.
December 7, 2007 11:15:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Don't forget Germany is a police state, and you are guilty unless proven innocent.

You're a bit behind on the times buddy. East Germany may have been, but ever since the Berlin Wall fell, it uses a more judicial system. They can't just run around arresting whoever they want.

And Germany has always been touchy on Nazi subjects, for obvious reasons. So this really doesn't surprise me.
December 7, 2007 11:18:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
you know what sucks? the swastika shape is inherently (not explicitly) cool, I find its design attractive. its radially symmetric, it can be curvy or angular, it has almost a motion like feel to it.

I DESPISE the fact that the swastika has been tied down to genocide and despotism. I feel like I'm promoting racism whenever a swastika appears in a small doodle. its so REDICULOUS that people can attatch so much disgusting meaning to a shape!

frankly the world of history has been ruled by idiots, and will continue to do so for ages. I guess my point is: stay away from cool shapes, you political dickwads.
December 7, 2007 11:19:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You're a bit behind on the times buddy. East Germany may have been, but ever since the Berlin Wall fell, it uses a more judicial system. They can't just run around arresting whoever they want.

On that you are wrong. THey have even more powerful legislation then the Patriot Act, and its even more vague on what the government may define as a 'threat'.
December 8, 2007 12:48:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
you know what sucks? the swastika shape is inherently (not explicitly) cool, I find its design attractive. its radially symmetric, it can be curvy or angular, it has almost a motion like feel to it.

I DESPISE the fact that the swastika has been tied down to genocide and despotism. I feel like I'm promoting racism whenever a swastika appears in a small doodle. its so REDICULOUS that people can attatch so much disgusting meaning to a shape!

frankly the world of history has been ruled by idiots, and will continue to do so for ages. I guess my point is: stay away from cool shapes, you political dickwads.

It does suck, but evil despots always take cool looking symbols to be theirs mainly because they hope the coolness of their symbol will get people to associate that with the regime.

Ironically, the swastika used to be an ancient religious symbol for life (and is still used as such). Yet, now the swastika is associated with one of the most murderous governments in history.

As for the German politician's complaint, I have a few problems with it.

First of all, its been 60 years, most of those who lived through that period are dead and the few remaining won't be lasting to much longer. Germany, if it continues to teach the real history of the Third Reich in its schools, is no more likely to turn into a neo-Nazi nation than the US (which, contrary to TGE's views, isn't all that likely ????).

Another issue is that this is incredibly subjective. This one lady thinks there is too much, but even other members of her party were basically calling her nuts (in a more polite form of course).

Furthermore, Wikipedia tends to end up with most well-known issues and items with a fairly balanced perspective. This is because if radical conservatives, like neo-Nazis, can put up stuff, so can radical leftists, like communists. Thus, as a net effect a moderate, centrist position emerges.

Finally, government imposed "guidelines" on Wikipedia would destroy all that makes Wikipedia great. It is a way for the average person to share their knowledge and ideas in a manner so that they can reach a wide audience. The internet, and Wikipedia, are a free-speech advocate's dream. Restricting or putting limits on views that can be expressed (so long as those views aren't outright lieing about stuff) would be horrible in my opinion.
December 8, 2007 6:54:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22151640/

I wouldnt say that germany is unlikely to be a bigotist regime just yet...
December 8, 2007 10:19:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Yes but how does limiting the number of images advance that cause? What power does a picture have that the rest of the information in the article doesn't? I don't look at a swastika and have a sudden urge to kill Jews or conquer Europe or bleach my hair and goose step around the block.

Would you rather have someone come across this kind of content on a site like wikipedia which is going to give some fairly objective analysis of the subject or stumble across it for the first time on some neo-Nazi site?
I've absolutely no idea Wedge. That's her argument, and I confess I don't understand it either. I would understand the concern if they were plastered all over every wikipedia page related to Nazism with propaganda screaming from the page.

However, I don't see it. Seems like a paper tiger to me that "justifies" a more totalitarian censorship of the public of what does appear to be a decent encyclopedic resource. If they can hit one article, or series of articles, that they don't approve of then there's nothing to stop them from further censorship. I'm just waiting for it to be passed and that snare found.

Schod, the swastika is a neat shape, but the taint from Hitler has erased any interest I would've had in it. But I don't think everyone who doodles swastikas are Nazis either.

And banning Scientology is just taking a step back to Nazism, in a way, since Hitler banned all Christianity but his own church, which fully supported anything he wanted, of course. This time it is just one kind of church they've banned--the question is where they will stop banning churches and other ideologies.

TGE is right about the German variant of the "Patriot Act"--while ours is pretty overpowered, it doesn't hold much of a candle to what I've heard of the German's. I've not heard much on it, but it all makes me frown.

Scourge, that's the right versus left mentality right there... of course they say she's nuts! They just wish they thought of it first is all. (I'm joking, not to offend any Germans who sympathize with either side. I just hate the egocentric view that an individual considers their own leaning to be the only reasonable one.) I don't agree that there is a moderate centrist view to wikipedia, as even the middle has opinions of its own--you'll always have dispute even over the "moderate" center. Whatever moderate that might be in the subject or time.

Free-speech in a self-regulated site is democracy, the USA is a democratic republic when it all boils down, and the only thing that results without every wikipedian taking personal responsibility to maintain what they wrote is exactly what Aristotle defined democracy as: rule of the mob. All you need is enough people to sway the system. For those risks/reasons alone I am leery of trusting wikipedia beyond mathematics and programming.
December 8, 2007 10:41:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Don't forget Germany is a police state, and you are guilty unless proven innocent.

Try to use Google Maps or Goggle Earh.
Germany is in the middle Europe.
I dont know exactly which country you mean, but that isnt germany at all.
Ah and how it is going in Guantanamo? ('guilty unless proven' ha!)

while ours is pretty overpowered, it doesn't hold much of a candle to what I've heard of the German's

I dont need more to know, do I?
What Ive heard... Ive heard that cats can bark, pigs can fly, americans are dumb and that the world is a disc...
Many people hear things, some hear voices when noones there...

If you dont know it, dont make any suggestions because you hear things.

In fact, there is no charge any more. It was withdrawn on thursday or friday.

THey have even more powerful legislation then the Patriot Act, and its even more vague on what the government may define as a 'threat'.

You dont know mutch about germany... and it makes me sad that people really think that this is true.
The goverment cant define anything as a threat, there are several instances which must allow the goverment to do such a thing and if even one thinks/mentions that there is no threat, nothing will be changed.
December 8, 2007 10:57:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
But I don't think everyone who doodles swastikas are Nazis either.

Good... I've seen people who did something, then looked back and realized that it could be taken for a swastika. It wasn't meant that way, but the radial symmetry of the Swastika makes it easy to stumble across by accident.

Good, I didn't hear about that.
December 8, 2007 10:58:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
December 8, 2007 11:56:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sorry to step on toes Aldarian, it wasn't my intent.

Try to use Google Maps or Goggle Earh.
Germany is in the middle Europe.
I dont know exactly which country you mean, but that isnt germany at all.
I'm sorry, I don't seem to see what this has to do outside an inaccuracy or bug in those software packages. I'm not referring to old Germany, in case that's what you infer.

Ah and how it is going in Guantanamo? ('guilty unless proven' ha!)
I'll set aside my ethnocentrism if you will, Aldarian. You assume that because I'm American that I applaud, or approve, of Guantanamo. It started as suspected terrorists during a time of war, this was back when we were retaliating against Afghanistan--even though war wasn't declared. When it didn't stop there I think everyone I knew became wary and suspicious of Guantanamo. The point was to temporarily hold the possible terrorists until the Taliban was overthrown, bureaucracy again overstepped its bounds.

The military and intelligence "wings" of the government don't report to me. I'm just a civilian. But so far as I know things are much better than they were. In my own personal opinion those individuals involved in the torture and those responsible for the orders should have been quickly court marshaled and shot--but we're too "humane" for that aren't we?

That's not the point. In the last fifty years the United States has been a totalitarian state represented by only professional politicians who lobby for fringe interest, usually on behalf of huge corporations like Monsanto. That's why I support men and women like Ron Paul.

If you dont know it, dont make any suggestions because you hear things.
You dont know mutch about germany... and it makes me sad that people really think that this is true.
If you think rumors or opinions don't sway opinion please think again. It is hard to tell what is smoke and what is real anymore. Would you enlighten me to what the current state of Germany is? Whether it is police state or otherwise, and how the ban against swastika's and Nazi symbols apply to that? I am curious, and yet you make no attempt to even set the record straight. That does disappoint me since you give me nothing to correct in my knowledge save that it could be inaccurate for unstated reasons. Kinda hard to assimilate in that manner.

That's good news. I wondered how the legal advise the woman had helped her decide to put that forward, it seemed kinda silly to me.

The goverment cant define anything as a threat, there are several instances which must allow the goverment to do such a thing and if even one thinks/mentions that there is no threat, nothing will be changed.
Excellent point! The government is there to protect the populace and enforce law, at its basest definition. But one cannot help but wonder at certain proposed threats you know. There was a law here in a state some time ago, I no longer remember which state, where a woman could not drive a car without her husband sitting on the hood with a shotgun to warn off anyone in the way. Pfeh, politicians!
December 8, 2007 12:37:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm just waiting patiently for when the worlds governments start using tracking technology to make sure of our 'safety'

Then I won't be the cynic skeptic anymore.

Germany is Germany, it is not going to leave its stability in the hands of the populace. You must remember that even now the European scene is still a fragile thing, and that every country in Europe will do whatever they can to make sure no wars break out on their continent ever again. Sure this isn't a serious incident, but then what is a serious incident in our world of woe?
December 8, 2007 1:01:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I'm just waiting patiently for when the worlds governments start using tracking technology to make sure of our 'safety'
Mmmmm... start using? As in they aren't? Almost every single modern phone, bar none, contains a GPS unit. You don't think they can't and don't track you? And don't forget about OnStar, the helpfully intrusive trackers. (Whether the national government or global tracks you I don't think it matters which, just that either does.)

You aren't the only cynic skeptic when it comes to governmental bureaucracy you know.
December 8, 2007 1:12:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Mmmmm... start using? As in they aren't? Almost every single modern phone, bar none, contains a GPS unit. You don't think they can't and don't track you? And don't forget about OnStar, the helpfully intrusive trackers.

Oh thats not too bad, what I'm talking is actually putting trackers in people, its on the governments agenda. However they are telling the public that this will help keep track of the health status of every individual allowing them to have quick response when something bad happens. Also to track diseases and stuff like that.

December 8, 2007 1:43:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Its only a short overview

Mmmmm... start using? As in they aren't? Almost every single modern phone, bar none, contains a GPS unit. You don't think they can't and don't track you? And don't forget about OnStar, the helpfully intrusive trackers. (Whether the national government or global tracks you I don't think it matters which, just that either does.)

You aren't the only cynic skeptic when it comes to governmental bureaucracy you know.

Sounds like "persecution mania"
December 8, 2007 2:13:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
On an unrelated note, I read through the education section on Germany, and college there costs only 50-500 euros per semester! That would be about 75-750 dollars (given the current weakness of the dollar)! Very few families in the US would have a hard time with $1,500 a year college costs. Why can't the US have that? Oh yea, I forgot, we have to spend our money blowing crap up in Iraq and giving out pork barrel crap so we can't afford to do that. Silly me.
December 8, 2007 2:37:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sounds like "persecution mania"
Not really. More like concern over GPS equipped, open source phones such as the gPhone. There is already opt-in technology that uses IM clients to share positional locations to a buddy group. Doubtless with the opensource initiative getting started in phones, the GPS powered "bye, 'buddy'" IED will appear. No proof whom did it either, just transfer the software to a new phone with the same virtual identity. No offense meant, but I am hardly the first to think of this.

The Patriot Act did authorize big brother to eavesdrop on anyone through their phone, and wiretap the phone, without any notice, warrant, or suspicion. No mania, just a lot of dislike.

The link was somewhat helpful, Aldarian, but I still see no direct translation of things like personal rights and how people are prosecuted. The clinical nature of wikipedia's writing makes skimming difficult. I will admit one thing, our rights as persons in the USA are given by amendment ... which means they are no more than liberties that can be legally taken away. I envy your personal rights entrenchment, though I don't even know what rights those are considered.

Scourge, we aren't shipping pork to Iraq--that'd just tick the Muslims off more. I think the government is a little smarter than that. However, I do be we ship our excess genetically modified grain and plants over there...
December 8, 2007 3:04:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
On an unrelated note, I read through the education section on Germany, and college there costs only 50-500 euros per semester! That would be about 75-750 dollars (given the current weakness of the dollar)! Very few families in the US would have a hard time with $1,500 a year college costs. Why can't the US have that? Oh yea, I forgot, we have to spend our money blowing crap up in Iraq and giving out pork barrel crap so we can't afford to do that. Silly me.

The governments interest in funding higher education has been falling for decades. The one thing Bush got right was that our education system had to revamped, however because of the war in Iraq that is not likely to happen. The first president to decrease state college funds was Reagen I think, and they have been going down since then.
December 8, 2007 3:08:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Back to the subject! (sort of)
Why aren't they banning the use of the Red Communist star in the eastern europe?
I mean, I live in Croatia where you can still see consequenses of the bombing and ethnic clensing that Yugoslav National Army did in Croatian War of Independence.
And no one is banning the communist star!!! But, i might know the reason. They do not bann it because it woud invoke curiosity! I think that if they woud loosen the grip on it in Germany first there woud be some riots, but then things will settle down, like they did in Croatia.

To find out more about the Croatian War of Independence go to:
WWW Link

BTW The Serbs (in the YNA) did the first ethnic cleaning sience the WW2.????
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.