The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Games that should be on TGN !

By on January 20, 2007 2:45:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
TGN and Steam are really the only two viable, legitimate, higher profile game download stores (D2D is a pain factory), with TGN catering more towards obscure, niche games and indie/small developers. Space Rangers 2 was a great pickup, but the TGN selection is aging and needs some fresh blood(er, bytes?)

What are some obscure games or bargain bin jewels that could actually really benefit from expousure in TGN, and fit in with the feel of the selection...but also be really good for TGN, providing attractive targets for tokens?

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

One of the best Tactical Space combat sims in years, and dialogue reminiscent of Starcraft... but unfortunately shipped with a number of gamebreaking bugs...bugs that can be eliminated if you figure out the confusing patch situation and manage to install the correct patch for the version you have. A Patched version on TGN could remedy that, and Nexus deserves a little more attention before it fades into oblivion.

http://www.nexusthegame.com

Dominions 3

A great deep, low budget, turn based fanatsy strategy game that could really benefit from expousure on TGN. I think it can be purchased online, but from a really obscure venue. I think I recall Frogboy saying something about being a fan of the series...I would think this would be a no-brainer for TGN

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm

Starshatter: the Gathering Storm

A sharp looking Space combat sim, recently released, that seems to be benefiting from approximately "zero" publicity:

http://www.starshatter.com/game1.htm

Freedom Force, and Freedom force vs The Third Reich

Not sure about this one...I dont know if Irrational is really a "indie" developer, or just small...but some of their games get much more attention than others. The FF games are just sort of quietly released and quickly off the radar, despite being a couple of the best and most entertaining Tactical combat games you could buy in the last 7 years. You could tell me that theres a something more fun than battling through totally destructible environments ,throwing cars, and hitting enemies upside the head with uprooted lamposts, all with your own fully custom-made squad of silver age superheroes...but I wouldnt believe you.

FFvTTR also suffered from some Starforce taint depending on the region you were in, the same as Space Rangers, and could benefit from a no-DRM version.

I admit to Bias here...the FF games complete me, I want to see more of them, and want sales to continue anywhere they can.

http://www.freedomfans.com/

Anyways, please add to the list as you think of some other good fits!
+7 Karma | 13 Replies
January 20, 2007 3:01:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd like to add Perimeter and it's expansion. Great innovative rts. Has some recognition, but not sure how widely known it is.

btw: great pick on Nexus. I have the demo, but haven't found it in a store yet. I am kind of in BFE though. I may have to order it online.
January 20, 2007 4:39:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
btw: great pick on Nexus. I have the demo, but haven't found it in a store yet. I am kind of in BFE though. I may have to order it online.

Oh yeah...you wont find it in a store. Youll have to check amazon, overstock or newegg. Wouldnt it be great if it were a click away on TGN though!

January 20, 2007 11:17:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Wouldnt it be great if it were a click away on TGN though!

Yes, I'd have to agree.

January 21, 2007 2:40:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd like to point out that Starshatter is sold by Matrixgames.com, which also is a very "viable, legitimate, higher profile game download store" with lots of high quality games, mostly wargaming strategy (no, I'm not affiliated with them ), so you can just get it from them. Plus, it means that it probably will never show up on TGN even if Stardock wanted it to.
While I'm at it, GamersGate.com is also a reliable download store with lots of games you might want to check out (I think it belongs to Paradox Games, the guys who made/make Europa Universalis). They sell the Perimeter Expansion, for example.

Other than that I agree that I'd like TGN to get more games and new ones more frequently (and less of those casual games that you can buy at a dozen other places anyway), even though I'm not interested in or already own those you mentioned.
January 22, 2007 11:02:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi guys,

We've been working on getting additional games on TGN, though it's admittedly been slow going of late. I will re-inquire about the titles mentioned above but there are a couple that I can pretty much guarantee won't show up: Dominions 3 and the Freedom Force series (Irrational is now owned by Electronic Arts, which runs their own digital distribution system).

January 22, 2007 11:11:11 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
We've been working on getting additional games on TGN, though it's admittedly been slow going of late. I will re-inquire about the titles mentioned above but there are a couple that I can pretty much guarantee won't show up: Dominions 3 and the Freedom Force series (Irrational is now owned by Electronic Arts, which runs their own digital distribution system).

Well, thats good to hear! But I was just listing examples, and hoping other people would do the same. It wasnt really all about those games specifically. Sorry to hear that Irrational has been assimilated by the Borg,..er, EA. (We will add your distinctiveness to our own...).

January 22, 2007 3:09:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Some older games that are real fun that some might not have gotten to play and I think would compliment TGN's lineup are:

1602 A.D.
Dungeon Keeper 2
Total Annihiltation 1 and 2
Imperium galactica II (has been mentioned around here quite abit)
That's all off the top of my head.
January 23, 2007 9:07:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Well, Dungeon Keeper 2 is an EA game so that's not going to happen (see above). Total Annihilation, 1602 A.D. and Imperium Galactica I would love to have, but talks with Atari have broken down (they bought GT Interactive which owned them all).    
January 24, 2007 3:39:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
An awesome game to get would be DEFCON, developed by Introversion. I've been hooked since it launched this last fall!

The webstie is found here: WWW Link
January 24, 2007 8:45:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I worked hard to get TA on there, but no luck.
January 24, 2007 9:35:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Wow...learn something new every day. Just by way of trivia, Wikipedia says that Nexus:The Jupiter Incident actually IS Imperium Galactica 3...or what The project that was IG3 eventually morphed into. Im sure most of you already knew that, but I had no idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperium_Galactica_III:_Genesis
January 25, 2007 9:21:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
DEFCON is an exclusive of another network.
January 25, 2007 3:28:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
DEFCON is an exclusive of another network.

Well darn, never mind then.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.