The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Connecting 802.11b Palm TX to a 802.11g access point

How best to do it?

By on February 21, 2006 8:41:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I have a friend that is picking up the Wi-Fi signal from a neighbor from her 802.11g laptop.
There is no security on the neighbor's signal.

Her husband just bought her a Palm TX which has 802.11b and she wants to but can't connect.

Could she pick up a 802.11g (that also supports access point and connect from there.

I have advised her that they could (and should) turn on some kind of encryption and the party is over. I have further advised her that the legality of what she is doing is questionable; that if I were her and had a good relationship with the neighbor I would ask to piggy-back. I also told her that a good neighbor might tell them that they need some security.

We'll see how THAT part plays out.
+735 Karma | 3 Replies
February 22, 2006 1:01:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If she is looking to piggy back on her neighbors connection she's out of luck when it comes to the TX. If the neighbors router only supports G then she will not be able to connect with her TX that only supports B. If she is looking to buy her own wireless router and get a highspeed connection then there are routers out there that support B and G or ever A, B and G.

I agree with you there Zubaz, if I had a neighbor that I knew who had an open access point I would definitely let them know.Here's hoping your friend decides to do what's right.
February 22, 2006 1:14:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree with you there Zubaz, if I had a neighbor that I knew who had an open access point I would definitely let them know.Here's hoping your friend decides to do what's right.

Question: If you help her accomplish what it is that no one seems to agree with, wouldnt that be almost as bad as doing the same?

I would say just let her fend for herself, *Or inform the person yourself whos access is being used they need to encrypt the signal..
February 22, 2006 1:28:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
It's a thin line I tread. Esy enough to say . . "Buy a G/B router and use the default settings."

But it's not something I would do myself.

-=sigh=-
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000079   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.