The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Restore Maximum Power State to Surface Pro 4

By on January 14, 2016 1:22:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

My Microsoft Surface is a constant companion.  It is absolutely central to my workflow.

One of the challenges I’ve had with it is battery life.  There’s a lot of things you can do to help with your battery life but one simple thing I’ve done, for now, is to set the max CPU when on battery to 99%. 

Setting the max CPU to 99% prevents the CPU from going into Turbo mode.  For me, this accomplishes two things:

(1) I get roughly an extra hour of battery out of the system

(2) I don’t get the annoying fan when I watch videos

Set your maximum CPU while on battery to 99%

Here’s how it works:

Step 1: Download and run http://draginol.stardock.net/files/SP4_Max_Processor_State.zip 

Step 2:  Go to advanced power settings and go to the new option: Processor Power management

Set the on battery to 99%.

There is no step 3. 

You should notice the behavior difference fairly quickly on battery.  For one thing, when you have Edge running on an ad intensive site or are watching a video your CPU speed will not go nearly as high (on the other hand, it won’t get power throttled to 0.5Ghz either which is a big benefit).

Hope this helps.  Feel free to comment if you have questions. 

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 14, 2016 8:27:34 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Great tweak!  Do you think this would apply to the Surface Pro 3?

January 14, 2016 9:35:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wow, I was just wondering the same thing... Would this work on my Surface Pro 3???

January 14, 2016 11:13:43 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Absolutely.

January 14, 2016 11:25:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Adding an hour with such a simple tweak is pretty damn clever, Brad.  May I ask what the pre-tweak baseline SP4 battery life was day-to-day?

Thanks!

January 15, 2016 6:18:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

Adding an hour with such a simple tweak is pretty damn clever, Brad. May I ask what the pre-tweak baseline SP4 battery life was day-to-day?
Thanks!

An hour less ....  [But I'm just guessing]...

January 16, 2016 12:24:33 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

You sure you're just guessing?

January 17, 2016 4:14:38 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

it was about 5.5 hours. mow its 6.5 hours.

if i set it tp 33% i can get 10 hours but i notice the perf hit.

January 17, 2016 4:57:54 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Thanks!  That's about 3.5 hours more than my current laptop, so SP4 likely to happen soon.

January 23, 2016 9:18:57 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Well after trying this tweak for my SP3, I can definitely see the improvement in battery life, but more importantly, the fan barely turns on now when doing light tasks.  It really is a night/day difference.

January 23, 2016 9:34:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Works great on my SP4. I like the fact that it keeps the fans off during video runs.

January 27, 2016 10:39:53 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Hi, If this is addressed in a future Microsoft update is it possible to remove this tweak?

Thanks  

February 4, 2016 4:47:09 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Hi, Works Great in my SP4. but I want to know, how to disable it(In particular SP4 MAX_Processor_State )
actually if microsoft  solve this problem by update, These settings are problematic to update?

Thanks a lot

February 11, 2016 5:22:36 AM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

If you don't want to loose 1% of your CPU capacity you can use Real Temp and disable the Turbo mode

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

BTW is the Surface Pro 4 reliable? I read too many awful comments about the unresponsiveness of the screen. I'm hesitating between the SP4 and a VAIO X Canvas for for my artistic work. I need a modular system that can replace a graphic tablet.

February 11, 2016 6:26:36 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quick question: Why does this need a tweak? I thought you could set the power settings like that anyway in Windows . Is it disabled in the SP4?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time: