The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Java deletion - 3 years later

By on January 5, 2016 10:56:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BlackSmokeDMax

Join Date 03/2006
+49

So, it's been almost 3 years to the day since I started the thread that I was deleting Java from all my computers. I have just *finally* run into something that requires Java to run. The soundsense plugin for Dwarf Fortress requires you to have Java running

Kind of a bummer, but not enough to get me to install Java at this point. Been playing the game for a month or two without it anyway, and was interested to start using that as well. Not for the music so much (I'd have turned that portion off) as the Dwarves yelling something about events and the sound effects. Ah well, hopefully one day there will be a non Java soundsense, or at least something that uses a standalone Java similar to how I believe Minecraft now does.

Was gonna post this in the old thread, but that was locked. Is Stardock now locking old threads that haven't been posted to in a while to prevent necro posts?

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 5, 2016 12:40:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

play df in a virtual machine?

January 5, 2016 4:14:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What's wrong with having Java on your system ?

January 5, 2016 8:31:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Just this.

And this.

And others.  I realize these are 2.5-3 years old, but nothing has really changed in the interim (as I understand).  Very few, mainly specialized, sites require Java (a claims submission provider's website we use requires it, natch) so it's unlikely to be missed if absent, except for specific business needs.

January 5, 2016 10:24:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

January 6, 2016 11:09:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

As of the Great Lock (Oct. 15, 2015?), all threads are now automatically locked a year after the last post.

I think I saw some YouTube videos of moderators doing the Dance of Joy.

lol, sounds like a real "event", sorry I missed that!

January 9, 2016 6:56:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Was gonna post this in the old thread, but that was locked. Is Stardock now locking old threads that haven't been posted to in a while to prevent necro posts?

Typically most threads that were dormant for 12 months are never now relevant, and almost all are only resurrected by spammers.

January 9, 2016 9:05:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Typically most threads that were dormant for 12 months are never now relevant, and almost all are only resurrected by spammers.

Yeah, I had definitely noticed that at one time. There would be a string of very old threads near the top of the recent post list. But none of them would have any new comments. Presumably, you guys had already found and deleted the spam.

You'd think by now spammers would know this forum isn't their target audience. Meaning, no one here is going to fall for their crap. Or do they have bots that come and place all those threads?

January 9, 2016 11:19:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I never got rid of Java, and lo and behold, 3 years later, everything is fine.

I never did care for tin foil.......

January 9, 2016 12:39:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

I never got rid of Java, and lo and behold, 3 years later, everything is fine.

I never did care for tin foil.......

I wasn't really all that worried that something was going to happen. I was sick of the many, many security updates for something I wasn't using at all. It has taken me 3 years to find something I actually wanted to use that required it. Note, that is not finding something that requires Java and then needing to find another route, that was 3 solid years of not even thinking about Java, it just never popped up in that time. That is 3 years of not messing with security updates on multiple computers that I never had to worry about staying on top of, or being annoyed with.

And that will continue.

SoundSense is certainly something I can live without, I'd been playing without it for 2 months before I even bothered to look into it. And while it seems pretty cool, and I wouldn't have minded testing it out for myself, it was still something that I may not have even ended up leaving enabled at the end of the day.

January 9, 2016 8:08:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

You'd think by now spammers would know this forum isn't their target audience. Meaning, no one here is going to fall for their crap.

If they bothered to check how long it took for the admins/mods to find/delete the spam [and them] they would definitely NOT bother in the first place.

For them it's a total waste of effort...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time: