The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Windows 10 Windows Update Issue

It just doesn't work!

By on August 9, 2015 2:52:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Major Stress

Join Date 05/2006
+159

Yes i made the jump to Windows 10, because it actually IS better for gamers. As a Gaming OS it is outstanding. Games that i had problems with running in XP, 7, or 8 run smoothly in 10. However gaming, and surfing the web is about all that W-10 is good for IMO. I havent figured out all the power user functions yet (if they havent been locked out).

Now i have run into the Windows Update issue. What WU does is absolutely nothing at all! Just blue dots just go across app like a wannabe cylon centurian (see image).

I Let it run for 4 hours, and absolutely nothing happens. No access to settings, No control. No nothing. Cant find anything on MS, or the web about this (though i found a ton of other W-10 windows update issues) I don't know what the settings are, because i cant even access them! I am very close to nuking this thing from orbit (Just to be sure).

I upgraded from W-8.1. Instead of doing a clean install. I probably should have done a clean install. Though i have the media, and cd key to do a clean install. I just didn't want to be arsed with it at the time. Everything seemed to have went smooth during the upgrade. except for this. There is supposedly a 300+ meg update out there that i cant seem to access now. I cant access the installed updates screen.

Any suggestions? (Other than to "Kill it with FIRE"!)

41 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 3, 2015 10:58:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lightning_bug_x,

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

Quoting lightning_bug_x,

As far as I have understand the upgrade process from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, you don't get a key, nor is your key invalidated.  You need to log into your Microsoft account that you made for Windows 8 or make one if upgrading from Windows 7. 

Hope that's not exactly the case. I never created a microsoft account for my one Windows 8 install. I simply made a local account so that it behaves like any other windows install over the years.

Hopefully just activating Windows 10 after the upgrade is good enough for registering the system on Microsoft's servers, then.  People with the free Win10 upgrade will not receive a key.  Windows 10 pulls the key from MS's server based on the hardware signature that was recorded to their servers.  You just skip the step asking for a CD key during the clean install.  All that is required is that you ran the Win10 upgrade first and it was activated.

I'm getting mildly worried. Thought I had read confirmation that all Win10 upgraders would end up with a key which they could use to create a fresh install. (on the computer which requested the upgrade, not any old computer)

I'm not going to sweat that too much though, yet. Probably not going to install on any of my PCs for at least another 6 months or so.

September 3, 2015 11:50:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

I'm getting mildly worried. Thought I had read confirmation that all Win10 upgraders would end up with a key which they could use to create a fresh install. (on the computer which requested the upgrade, not any old computer)

As I understand it, if you install over Win 7/Win 8.1, the Win 10 upgrade relies on the resident OS' product key to be authenticated.  Once installed a new product ID [found in Control Panel>System... scroll to bottom of page] is generated and can be used for future installations on the same machine. 

To clean install Win 10 from a DVD or USB stick, you need a legitimate Win 7 or Win 8.1 product key, which is requested before the installation process begins.  Again, once installed a new product ID is generated and is used for updates and upgrades during the lifetime of that machine. 

Alternatively, you can download the Media Creation Tool  and upgrade directly from the desktop of your current OS.  When the download completes an ISO image is created and appears as an icon on the desktop... clicking on this opens a dialog box from which you can choose to install immediately on that machine or to create a DVD or USB.

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

I'm not going to sweat that too much though, yet. Probably not going to install on any of my PCs for at least another 6 months or so.

I don't plan to upgrade on any of my primary machines, but I have prepared a standalone machine for the purpose of installing and evaluating Win 10.  If I like it enough and I'm satisfied the 'phone home' features can be adequately disabled, well maybe then I'll consider installing it on other machines. 

For now, though, I am more than happy with Win 8.1 and have it set up to my preferences, so I don't know that I want to mess those machines before I'm convinced that Win 10 is a better proposition.... and for now I'm not.  Given that many commenters [like Martin Brinkman] reckon it is still 'half-baked, and that many users are unhappy about various aspects, I think it will be some time before I'm ready to upgrade over what works well for me.

September 4, 2015 2:23:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So, out of curiosity as to why I haven't been offered the Win 10 upgrade from the systray icon on my HP laptop, not that I want it on here, but I did a bit of looking around to see if I could find the reason... and I have, sort of.  When looking in Installed Updates in Windows Update I can see that the upgrade has failed pretty much every day since July 29, though not as to the actual reason it failed.  

I thought there would be an error code attached to each event but unfortunately not, and nothing obvious came up in Event Viewer, either.  I did a check on the MS site and found a list of reasons and corresponding error codes, but without the actual code I'd be flying blind if I were to attempt to fix it.   One likely cause is that the System Reserve partition is too small and the upgrade process needs more room to write the new files.  If so, I suppose that's easily fixed, though I'm not planning to upgrade on here for some time yet.

September 4, 2015 11:55:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

Don't be concerned. You can do a fresh install on the upgraded machine. Choose skip, when asked for a key, the install will self activate. I have done this twice.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT input any key, doing so will cause an error and the install will not activate.

Again, this is AFTER you have upgraded the same machine.

September 4, 2015 12:54:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

Don't be concerned. You can do a fresh install on the upgraded machine. Choose skip, when asked for a key, the install will self activate. I have done this twice.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT input any key, doing so will cause an error and the install will not activate.

Again, this is AFTER you have upgraded the same machine.

So you are saying go through and do an actual upgrade at least once. After doing that, same machine will be good to do a clean install at some later point?

September 4, 2015 1:05:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes. Exactly.

September 4, 2015 1:34:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I may have found the reason the Win 10 upgrade kept failing.  I thought I'd try a direct install from USB to see if I could find a cause/reason that way, and the installer say it does not recognise my product key.  The OS came pre-installed on the machine so I don't know what's happening there. 

I used Belarc Adviser, Magical Jellybean KeyFinder and Produkey to check and all 3 produced the same product key, so something's amiss.  The OS has been activated and authenticated by MS, so it is legit.

Yeah, I think perhaps this one's for Support.

September 4, 2015 3:34:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Yes. Exactly.

Great, thanks! Now just back to playing the waiting game.

September 4, 2015 6:02:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mark, in order to upgrade my laptop, a brand new Dell, from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 took several failed attempts by me, and 2 failed attempts made by Microsoft via remote control of my laptop.

Originally I thought it was due to my 8.1 key being embedded into the bios, but apparently it was some program on my laptop causing the fails.

I finally had to factory reset my laptop, then the upgrade went smooth as silk.

I never was asked for a key.

September 4, 2015 6:03:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have since completed a fresh install of Win10 on that laptop and it activated. I was asked for a key twice, chose skip both times. It is running a fresh install of 10 and it self activated. All is well.

September 5, 2015 1:51:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Mark, in order to upgrade my laptop, a brand new Dell, from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 took several failed attempts by me, and 2 failed attempts made by Microsoft via remote control of my laptop.

Originally I thought it was due to my 8.1 key being embedded into the bios, but apparently it was some program on my laptop causing the fails.

I finally had to factory reset my laptop, then the upgrade went smooth as silk.

I never was asked for a key.

I may have to try that... when I'm satisfied that Win 10 is a viable replacement   It would mean that I would lose all my programs and the way I've set things up, and I quite like my current set-up, so it may be a while 'til I'm ready to do so.... and hopefully Stardock has WB and IP compatible with Win 10 by the time I'm ready.  Yeah, I get nauseated enough with vertigo, and I have no need to exacerbate it with 10's butt ugly UI and icons.

I do have a machine prepared for Win 10, but at present I'm dealing with a lot of pain and would rather not have to be moving machines around to set that installation up, and I'm in no hurry so it can wait until I'm feeling up to moving and lifting damned heavy PCs... my newest build weighs 96.4kg fully loaded.

September 5, 2015 2:03:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm still not satisfied that Win 10 is a viable replacement. I am considering a factory restore back to 8.1. I do have recovery discs. Muahahaha,.

September 5, 2015 2:49:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I got recovery disks for my laptop as well, but i chose to create an 8.1 installation flash drive. This is to avoid installing all of the damn useless HP bloatware the recovery disks wants to install. Since the cd key is embedded into the bios no issues in pure 8.1 clean install.

September 5, 2015 4:28:33 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

The only update failure I had going from Win7 to Win10 was that I use junction links to move my primary User folder from the SSD C drive to the larger HDD D drive.  Win10 has a feature to disable such method.  So, I had to find a different method to get the Users folder off of the SSD for Win10.

September 6, 2015 2:46:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

I'm still not satisfied that Win 10 is a viable replacement. I am considering a factory restore back to 8.1. I do have recovery discs. Muahahaha,.

Well if you're not satisfied after having some hands-on experience with Win 10, then I would likely remain with Win 8.1 on my primary machines and just evaluate 10 on the rig I rebuilt especially for it.  Quite a few commentators have said 10 is under-cooked and needs more fine tuning before it is ready for mainstream use, so my decision to hold off appears to be well justified.

I've always been an early adopter, having jumped in boots n' all with the betas of Vista, 7 and Win 8/8.1, but I'm so glad I held of with Win 10... given all the 'pry and phone home' crap MS felt appropriate to include in the OS.  In fact, I may even make Robolinux, Mint or Ubuntu the default OS on the prepared machine and dual boot with Win 10;   Hmmmm?

September 7, 2015 3:07:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Kinda off topic

I was having issues installing windows 7 to a USB hard drive. Pretty much found out the hard way that windows 7 doesn't like USB 3.0. My laptop has no way of switching to USB 2.0 in the bios. The stupid question i have is if i burn my installation to dvd will i still get that "Install Drivers" window that you cant skip to install windows 7. I am hoping that i can do a clean install of windows 7 then upgrade the usb drivers after installation.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.