The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Five Privacy Issues With W10

By on August 2, 2015 8:02:49 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2221

The first and worst? From MS’s Privacy Policy Statement:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to […] protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.”

This (to me) says my computer now belongs to them. Sorry, this is completely unacceptable.

The second? Cortana:

“To enable Cortana to provide personalised experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lockscreen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”

Cortana will also collect your speech data, to “improve” speech recognition. Shades of the Barbie Doll. So, when does your own private MS spy stop “listening”? Does it ever?

Third: Your browser (sorry – their browser): When you sign in to W10 with an MS account, the OS will automatically sync

“some of your settings and data with Microsoft servers”. This includes “web browser history, favorites, and websites you have open” in addition to “saved app, website, mobile hotspot, and Wi-Fi network names and passwords”.

This you can change…there is a way to deactivate that in your MS account settings>”Sync your settings”. That should be set to a negative as the default, not the opposite as MS has done.

Fourth: Advertisers can use your data to send you targeted ads. To me, this is Superfish all over again. You can turn this off in Settings|Privacy and flick the first switch to “off”.

“The ads we select may be based on your current location, search query, or the content you are viewing. Other ads are targeted based on your likely interests or other information that we learn about you over time using demographic data, search queries, interests and favorites, usage data, and location data.”

Lastly (and perhaps worst of all): Your encryption key is automatically sent to your OneDrive account.

So, if OneDrive is ever breached, you’re screwed. Why? Because with device encryption turned on, Windows will automatically encrypt your drive and generate a BitLocker recovery key. This key is backed up, again automatically, onto your Microsoft OneDrive account. If someone changes your data are unrecoverable creating the ransomeware situation.

Don’t you think someone should be asking your permission to do these things? Also, I don’t know about you, but I’m not the property of some corporation, and neither is my computer.

No W10 for me, thanks very much.

Source:

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1001289/the-5-windows-10-privacy-issues-you-should-be-aware-of

110 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 4, 2015 5:24:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Helpful", indeed. "Let us help ourselves to your data, your files, your browsing data, etc., etc." 

If a 14 year old Russian hacker from Novosibersk or Chendou said that to people, they'd take a pickaxe to him, and rightly.

But, because MS hides and disguises it in an endless, legalese EULA, it's just fine. Lol. Right. You gave "consent"...without a Law School professor translating that bullshit into intelligible human speech. Tell Satya, "Thanks but no thanks." Parasites.

What the hell has computing come to when websites publish articles on how to prevent your own effing computer from spying on you, because a huge effing corporation designs its software to be obsolescent and insecure so they can sell you something "new", ugly and intrusive...just to make more money from you?

And that doesn't piss you off? They're evil!

August 4, 2015 9:11:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

butbutbutbut....Windows 10 is Skynet...

August 4, 2015 9:43:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*did Jafo just motorboat me?! 

August 4, 2015 10:34:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its evil.  But its big, and powerful, and ubiquitous. Oh, and richer than Donald.  Whats a small fry to do?

August 4, 2015 12:03:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

"Helpful", indeed. "Let us help ourselves to your data, your files, your browsing data, etc., etc."

"And while we're at it we'll use your webcam in reverse to see if you compute/surf the net in the nude"

And if you do, I can imagine you'll be targeted with ads for plastic surgery, diet pills, wrinkle creams and all sorts of other stuff... like penis enlargers for men, breast augmentation/reduction for women. 

Yeah, well as far as I'm concerned, if I can't see my penis [belly] then neither is Microsoft.  Yup, I'm putting tape over my webcam when I compute/surf the net in the nude.

I know, I shouldn't be making light of such a serious matter, but if I don't my extreme displeasure will have me effing and blinding and using expletives that could get me a rap over the knuckles... and I don't fechen want that to happen, do I.

Quoting DrJBHL,

What the hell has computing come to when websites publish articles on how to prevent your own effing computer from spying on you, because a huge effing corporation designs its software to be obsolescent and insecure so they can sell you something "new", ugly and intrusive...just to make more money from you?

Oh look at that, Doc's effing and blinding.   And rightly so!

Apart from a few other choice words, contemptuous comes to mind when judging MS' treatment of its customers.  It doesn't matter if the EULA makes mention of MS intentions, most people won't have a clue as to what's being done to them.  I mean, who's going to read 30-something pages of a convoluted EULA?  And even if they do, who is going to fully understand the implications... the consequences?  For mine, MS deliberately wrapped it up in 30-something pages of gobbledygook to put people off reading it, not to be open or transparent.

August 4, 2015 1:05:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

who's going to read 30-something pages of a convoluted EULA?

actually I heard 43 pages.

If they have access to your email data that may mean that they have the email addresses of everyone in your contact list.

August 4, 2015 1:43:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

.....all of this righteous indignation......lol 

If you are ever connected to the internet.......you are 'connected'.....to them (whomever) etc.   Even if you do 'custom' installs, sometime later something you are wanting to do is going to require a service dependency resulting in a 'service' (OS function) being turned on that enables yet a different back door. 

Websites that tell you which services to turn off and which to leave turned on?  So 90's..........I mean you do know all of that info is reliant on the fact that MS gave out the right and complete description of what said services are used for in the first place.  Would it be the first time MS didn't come out with EVERYTHING some services are 'needed' for?  lolz.....

Really what you guys are thinking amounts to trusting an 'evil' entity (which you haven't trusted in the past and don't trust now) to tell you the truth about critical OS functions so that you can trust you are disabling things you think you want/need to disable.......geez....

August 4, 2015 4:46:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will stay with Win 7. At least all software from WC works and I'm happy with that. I don't need to be spied on either.

August 4, 2015 5:31:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What about having one PC on Win10, networked with a win7 / 8 PC where your good stuff is.  Use the Win 10 PC for games and other programs where having all the cores play together is good, and for accessing the web.  When accessing the web, pull the cable connecting the other PC.  Only attach the win  7/8 when off line, tom transfer data, etc.  is a possible solution for privacy?

August 4, 2015 5:49:42 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

This is what devs need to do, support Steam OS (Linux) which means OpenGL and Vulkan support. I hope devs start doing this more in the future instead of sitting on DX12, because Vulkan works on both platforms.

August 4, 2015 7:33:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Apple does tons of data mining, not sure what getting a Mac is going to accomplish.  The Mactards were whining about this sort of stuff with Yosemite just last year, they hid lots of phone home crap that tracked what you were doing with it, and were even sending it to third parties.

August 4, 2015 8:37:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Spotlight settings if I recall.

August 4, 2015 9:31:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

*did Jafo just motorboat me?! 

Hahahaha ...........That made my giggle, Doc.......I actually think Jafo tried to knock you over on his moped........putputputputput!

Doc.....10 bucks says you'll be on Windows 10 before the years end. And I bet you won't go over to the 'dark side' with a Mac either. They are no better than MS when it comes to 'privacy' matters and I'm not sure that they actually put enough effort into the security of their software either.......Plus, you love to play with your customization software and you'll be bored with doing that on your current Windows setup when everyone is playing with 10. Come on, join the rest of us and migrate to 10 now or later and you'll be able to turn off most, if not all, the privacy concerns 

August 5, 2015 1:47:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

.....all of this righteous indignation......lol

My indignation is not just about MS watching what I do.  They've been doing that for years.  No, my biggest objection now is the unsolicited advertising that Win 10 will generate as a result of my viewing habits, etc.  This is something MS has not done before - sending unsolicited spam - and it's not something I'd willingly sign up for. 

I hate advertising at the best of times, it's forced upon us every which way we turn these days, and I do all in my power to avoid it, so why would I install an ad generating OS and invite something I hate with a passion into my life?  If I can disable this 'feature' 100% I'll consider Win 10.  If not I'll stick with what I have.

August 5, 2015 5:48:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WARNING:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

or for geman users:

http://www.golem.de/news/windows-10-microsoft-verteilt-updates-ueber-peer-to-peer-technik-1503-112974.html

Read it carefully. Windows 10 is  like a torrent REDISTRIBUTING itself USING YOUR NETWORK RESOURCES..

Thats new to me . I mean yes windows was on peer to peer networks some years already, but that microsoft does that is NEW.

NOW YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE LTE OR 4G.

regards bluedxca93

August 5, 2015 6:04:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,

Doc.....10 bucks says you'll be on Windows 10 before the years end.

Please contact 1-800-BUX -4DOC with your payment (i.e. credit card) info.

Hey, if you give it and other stuff to MS for free w/o any sort of security to be shared with their cronies "Associates", why not join my "pre-pay" (i.e. gimme all your stuff for free) plan?  

Quoting bluedxca93,

Read it carefully. Windows 10 is  like a torrent REDISTRIBUTING itself USING YOUR NETWORK RESOURCES..

That was in my prior post about W10, bluedxca93.

August 5, 2015 6:20:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was just over at majorgeeks and found this proggie that claims to disable many, if not most of these privacy concerns. 

If so then good... especially if the damned advertising is disabled/negated. 

August 5, 2015 8:32:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

I was just over at majorgeeks and found this proggie that claims to disable many, if not most of these privacy concerns.
If so then good... especially if the damned advertising is disabled/negated.

Meanwhile...the site pops up an attempt or two to hijack you...and the proggy wants to install another 'spyware' unless you remember to opt out...

Anything "free" comes with hooks and sinkers.... not just fishbait and Windows 10.

August 5, 2015 11:52:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Meanwhile...the site pops up an attempt or two to hijack you...and the proggy wants to install another 'spyware' unless you remember to opt out...

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the program is bundled with opt out extras.  However, I did not experience pop ups while on majorgeeks... nor have I ever.

Thing is, the program is most likely safe to use without the bundleware [majorgeeks does test all proggies it posts], so if one opts to opt out all should be well.

August 5, 2015 1:26:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting starkers,

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the program is bundled with opt out extras. However, I did not experience pop ups while on majorgeeks... nor have I ever.
Thing is, the program is most likely safe to use without the bundleware [majorgeeks does test all proggies it posts], so if one opts to opt out all should be well.

So you would rather trust that a program bundled with opt-out 'extras' from a website that has often disseminated adware works as advertised turning off phone-home/advertising functions in your OS which you could just as easily do yourself and not need to worry about the website or what else the program might do to your PC that isn't covered by opt-out.

I guess the rabbit hole goes pretty deep....

August 5, 2015 1:43:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Good thing the_Monk has weapons at the ready. 

August 5, 2015 2:31:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

I guess the rabbit hole goes pretty deep....

Guess that's why some folks prefer 'em over sheep.

Anyhow, it's not that I trust one more than the other.  The simple fact is that many folks aren't going to know how to manually switch off items of concern in Win 10, given there are 13 panes to deal with... with another item's controls being on the net.... hence the program that has it all in one place and a simple mouse click to turn those functions off.

And another thing!  At least the proggie's creator notifies users of the bundled extras and the opt out ability, which is a darned sight more than MS does for its users.  No, MS enabled OS included 'spyware' by default and it was 3rd parties who informed the public of what MS had done and how to disable it.  Moreover, MS is a for-profit company and is spying on users for gain, whereas the program is freeware and the developer likely helps fund its development by bundling extras. 

For mine, it's the lesser of two evils... and considerably more transparent than 40-something pages of clear-as-mud legalese.

August 5, 2015 6:46:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

fooshniken...I fixed your link.

Stardock's sites require a carriage space after a pasted link to enable it...

August 6, 2015 1:18:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting fooshniken,

Check it out___

http://www.myce.com/news/developer-creates-open-source-tool-to-prevent-microsoft-from-spying-on-you-in-windows-10-76896/

Without addon-ware, this might be the better tool than the one I posted, but either way it simply should not be necessary for users to disable functions that pry into their personal files.  No, users should be able to feel safe that their OS is just that and not a means for MS to peer even closer into their lives to target them with advertising... or worse still, share information with other entities with even less scrupulous intent.

Another aspect that has not been raised here [as yet] and is of concern to me, is the potential for hackers to intercept information being transmitted to Microsoft, or for MS' data banks to be sourced by less than scrupulous individuals/groups... and not just hackers.  Government and it's agencies haven't exactly earned the trust or respect we once held for it/them.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.