The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Windows 10 is good. Start10 makes it great!

By on February 24, 2015 2:41:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

I have seen the future and it is good.  I like Windows 10. A lot.

I’m not loving their Start menu and while there is hope it will improve, it is good to know that Start10 is available.

Here is the current Windows 10 build with their Start menu:

I have a lot of problems with this.  First off, most desktop users are using the start menu to get to their stuff.  Stuff is more than just apps.  The Windows 10 menu is a “Modern” app which means no context menus. No jump lists.  It also tries to jam in the old Start screen’s tiles.  The tiles are fine for a touch mobile device.  But in a menu? They serve no purpose other than for clutter. YMMV.

Here is my Windows 10 desktop with Stardock Start10 beta 1 installed:

Starting from left to right:

What I choose to pin onto my start menu is my business. I don’t need Microsoft or anyone else to tell me that this should be reserved for “places” (whatever that means).  I’d prefer MS to set it to “Pinned” and let users pin and unpin whatever they’d like there.  I am hoping that is their goal.  Right now, it’s not very configurable.

Going down, you will notice the arrows next to the apps. That’s the jump lists. I have no idea why Microsoft would remove such a useful feature. 

Jump lists are one of the best Microsoft innovations in UI.  They’re MIA in the current Windows 10 start menu. Maybe they’ll bring them back. I hope so.  But if they don’t, there’s Start10.

A picture is worth…

Just look at the two screenshots.  Honestly, which one would you prefer to use on your desktop? That’s really the ultimate answer.

You can get Start10 right now via Object Desktop. It’ll be available stand-alone this Spring for $4.99.

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 26, 2015 9:07:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,

Pre Win8.1 I absolutely LOVED Decor8. Sliced bread had nothing on it at all!!!

Unless you're hungry.

I know what you're saying about the "smooth transition", though.... with the start menu and desktop all having the same background.  If only MS had made more features skinnable... like the lockscreen, tile colours, etc.  Making the tiles resizable with 8.1 didn't go far enough for me.  Thankfully there is Oblytiles, but it should be available natively IMHO.

February 27, 2015 7:03:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Thankfully there is Oblytiles,

THAT is something that SD could have jumped on for those that actually use the native start menu. 

February 27, 2015 10:22:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,

Quoting starkers,

Thankfully there is Oblytiles,

THAT is something that SD could have jumped on for those that actually use the native start menu. 

I was really hoping Stardock would come up with an equivelant, but alas no... so I keep using Oblytiles for the lack of something better.

A Stardock version of Sysmetrix or Rainmeter would be a much welcomed addition to the Stardock stable of apps as well... cos I don't mind getting all my eggs from one basket if they come from a trustworthy and reliable hen.

February 27, 2015 2:16:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

once installed can one still make use of the live tiles if he/she uses start10 ?
Will it be able to use windowblinds skins?
And will it also be able to display skin defined startmenu animations. 

?  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000047   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.