The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Windows 10 is good. Start10 makes it great!

By on February 24, 2015 2:41:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

I have seen the future and it is good.  I like Windows 10. A lot.

I’m not loving their Start menu and while there is hope it will improve, it is good to know that Start10 is available.

Here is the current Windows 10 build with their Start menu:

I have a lot of problems with this.  First off, most desktop users are using the start menu to get to their stuff.  Stuff is more than just apps.  The Windows 10 menu is a “Modern” app which means no context menus. No jump lists.  It also tries to jam in the old Start screen’s tiles.  The tiles are fine for a touch mobile device.  But in a menu? They serve no purpose other than for clutter. YMMV.

Here is my Windows 10 desktop with Stardock Start10 beta 1 installed:

Starting from left to right:

What I choose to pin onto my start menu is my business. I don’t need Microsoft or anyone else to tell me that this should be reserved for “places” (whatever that means).  I’d prefer MS to set it to “Pinned” and let users pin and unpin whatever they’d like there.  I am hoping that is their goal.  Right now, it’s not very configurable.

Going down, you will notice the arrows next to the apps. That’s the jump lists. I have no idea why Microsoft would remove such a useful feature. 

Jump lists are one of the best Microsoft innovations in UI.  They’re MIA in the current Windows 10 start menu. Maybe they’ll bring them back. I hope so.  But if they don’t, there’s Start10.

A picture is worth…

Just look at the two screenshots.  Honestly, which one would you prefer to use on your desktop? That’s really the ultimate answer.

You can get Start10 right now via Object Desktop. It’ll be available stand-alone this Spring for $4.99.

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 24, 2015 3:20:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Start10   .... your screenshot says it all !!

February 24, 2015 3:55:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Start10 looks good to me.

I guess MS didn't fully listen to its customers...

Really they should have a mobile mode and a desktop mode that users can choose from.

February 24, 2015 4:19:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Much better with Start 8. Good work everyone. I skipped win 8 but will be getting win 10 when it's final.

Hope we will be able to skin win 10 like we can with win 7 and 8. If so I would guess a modified version of SKS will be needed. 

February 24, 2015 4:40:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just noticed that they removed or buried the control panel. Do they really think people don't manage their computer at all?

I'm scared to see what Windows explorer has turned into. I'm guessing My docs and my pics are the only visible folders.

February 24, 2015 5:39:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cool however, Im sticking with SIB. I prefer it since its customize-able with skins in msstyle format. There are thousands of styles to choose from. With Stardocks start menu, you have to apply a Windowblinds skin to the system in order to skin the menu. I do not like that. Blinds does not work out well with Photoshop and many other programs I use. Excluding them just gives them an ugly classic style. From my experiences with start 8, there were also no animations for the jumplist section. It just pops out which looks odd. I feel like This app needs more cleaning up before I ever consider using it again. SIB supports 10 as well so until then. Sorry stardock. This is one app I wont be coming back to. 8(

February 24, 2015 5:42:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

appreciate the effort, but frankly, I would rather see stardock try to customize the native UI like they used to instead of this. Sorry..

Am I also correct in assuming that Windowblinds will only customize this start menu instead of the native one?

February 24, 2015 5:53:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A minor question...is it possible to eliminate the user pic in the start menu?

February 24, 2015 7:19:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

once installed can one still make use of the live tiles if he/she uses start10 ?
Will it be able to use windowblinds skins?
And will it also be able to display skin defined startmenu animations. 

February 24, 2015 9:16:22 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

I believe so. I think it depends on the skin.

February 24, 2015 10:30:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can't use Win 10 on my current rig because I'm unable to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS [keeps reverting back to default].  However, I am getting a machine together for the Win 10 Preview and I look forward to trying out Start10.  Like you, I'm not keen on the Tiled addition [the bright colours would clash with whatever skin I'm using] and generally I prefer something more traditional.

However, I am pleased with your general comments on Win 10.  Not that I dislike Win 8 [whereas many do] I am quite looking forward to Win 10 because I believe it will make marked improvements in speed, stability and generally under the hood. 

As for any UI issues, well I have Stardock apps to remedy those and it'll be positively great.

February 24, 2015 11:08:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looking forward to Win10 and Start10.

February 25, 2015 5:23:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Ryat,

Looking forward to Win10 and Start10.

At least I'm not alone... but banned for stalking me.

Seriously, though,  while the UI leaves much to be desired [the icons are bloody awful], Win 10 is going to be a great OS regardless.  Despite the theory that every other MS OS is great, I just knew that Win 10 would build upon its predecessor and take thingsc to a whole new level.... not that Win 8 is bad or anything, but Win 10 will be 'smokin' when the final release is due.  Hopefully by then. MS will have reconsidered its UI decisions and offer something better for users who do not customise their desktops... cos frankly, the icons on offer at present are well below par.

February 25, 2015 6:52:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Honestly, which one would you prefer to use on your desktop?

Easy choice - Start10.  I find that default start menu to actually be visually annoying, and if I were stuck with it I'd work around it as much as I could with shortcuts etc.  You politely used the term "clutter" to refer to the tiles next to the text, I'd use a slightly stronger term involving "cluster".

February 25, 2015 7:28:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting DrJBHL,

I believe so. I think it depends on the skin.

Probably through SKS...the way I do it now. Thanks, Brad.

February 25, 2015 8:22:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A good reason to stick with W7 but when I'am forced to move up, I'll use start 10 or 11 or 12, whichever is the case at the time.

February 25, 2015 10:20:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,

appreciate the effort, but frankly, I would rather see stardock try to customize the native UI like they used to instead of this.

Hear, hear.

February 25, 2015 8:20:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

First you have to FIX "the native UI' ...

February 25, 2015 8:54:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

First you have to FIX "the native UI' .

My points are getting muddied.

Start8/10 are UTILITIES, and as such they provide a nice function. The necessity of this function is only in the eyes of the end user.

For ME, I don't use it. It's nice, but if I had relied on this then I would not be as familiar as I am with the natural state of the OS. I get paid to know how to support the native OS. I'm a firm believer that one should be well versed in the natural functions before they make such a drastic change. 

I'm not interested in another whine ass debate about how borked the metro start MENU is. The lazy reviewers damned it early based on a 2 minute look and spread their drivel like wild fire. So much pre-conceived hate was mainstream before it even hit the shelf, and I'm not at all shocked that Start8 was a cash cow.
It's much too late in the game now to change this nonsensical opinion, so I'm sure Start10 will be just as big.

Brad has some valid points concerning the missing functions of Win10 menu. I'm that putting us back to what is essentially a Win7 menu is the absolute best solution to those problems. 

Now, that part out of the way, I'll go on.

CUSTOMIZATION is what brought me to WC/Stardock some 14+ years ago.

I didn't have to bastardize the basic OS to customize it. If I wanted to change it ( DesktopX, LiteStep, etc.. ) I had that choice. I often did.
Now... not so much.
Windowblinds is pretty much useless unless you first put on Start8/10.

I want to see my customization apps, customize my interface without resorting to something that changes the shell to a point that keeps me in the stone ages.

February 25, 2015 9:24:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

I just noticed that they removed or buried the control panel
It is now called PC Settings. (Control Panel)

February 25, 2015 9:25:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why is WindowBlinds pretty much useless without Start8?

On Windows 8 the only OS start menu is the fullscreen one and the colours and background of that are catered for by Decor8.

WindowBlinds skins the taskbar, the frames, the app controls etc.  The only thing Start8 brings is a Windows 7 style menu which of course then gets skinned by WindowBlinds.

February 25, 2015 10:08:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,

I want to see my customization apps, customize my interface without resorting to something that changes the shell to a point that keeps me in the stone ages.

And yet you mentioned 'Litestep' as customization.  There's nothing that changes the shell more than actually replacing it entirely.  Avid LS Users also made a point of not using Explore.exe as a file manager just to be certain it did not try to re-establish itself as the shell too.  We had Powerdesk et al loaded instead [and many still do even though not still using LS].

By anyone's definition, Start8/10 is a GUI customizer just as any other...only more focussed in its target, Whereas Windowblinds is more generalized even enhancing alternate Shells if/when they were used.

If, for example, Win 10 was 'burple' and plug ugly the FIRST urge for customizing would be changing graphics [like WB] but instead it is interface functionality that is the first-need for custom solution...ie Start10 and similar apps.  Once they're applied secondary concerns like appearance can be added.

Microsoft's recent forays into GUI graphics have been [to put it politely] bland.  Killing much of the 'bling' associated with 7 has rekindled the need amongst he-who-customizes to find solutions to the mediocrity that is flavour of the month.

I guess what I need to do is load up a VM of XP with one of my old Litestep shells on it and reminisce about 'the good old days'...

February 26, 2015 7:43:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Why is it that with every iteration of Windows, MS tries to hide/obscure more and more of the OS functionality from the end user?

February 26, 2015 7:47:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

On Windows 8 the only OS start menu is the fullscreen one and the colours and background of that are catered for by Decor8.

Neil, Decor8 has been FAR less useful since 8.1 came out. You can natively use your desktop background as your start menu background. Decor8 does NOT do a thing for the tile colors with 8.1 either.

February 26, 2015 8:36:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Phoon,

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Neil, Decor8 has been FAR less useful since 8.1 came out. You can natively use your desktop background as your start menu background. Decor8 does NOT do a thing for the tile colors with 8.1 either.

The tile colours is a Microsoft thing, you would need to complain to them about that.

As for the background, yes they do let you use your wallpaper, but that is very limiting and it does not automatically create a suitable colour scheme.

February 26, 2015 8:47:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

The tile colours is a Microsoft thing, you would need to complain to them about that.

As for the background, yes they do let you use your wallpaper, but that is very limiting and it does not automatically create a suitable colour scheme.

Indeed. I knew about the tile color part and understand fully.

As for the background, well, I like my start menu background to match my desktop. It makes for a very smooth and seamless transition.
I had always used Decor8 to do just exactly that. So to me, MS just added what I was already doing 100% of the time. 

Pre Win8.1 I absolutely LOVED Decor8. Sliced bread had nothing on it at all!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.