The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

And Another Reason Why Apple IS Despicable

damned walled garden

By on December 5, 2014 2:55:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

starkers

Join Date 05/2004
+983

I really wanted to take a shot at Google today but couldn't find anything newsworthy or damning.

However, I found the next best thing...  a damning indictment on Apple... something it oughta be fechin' ashamed of but instead is defending.

Yup, the mother-whats-its [insert expletive here] created software to delete competitors music purchased by users from their iPods and other fechen i devices.

Despicable ain't the word for it!  Try downright fechen criminal... and Apple is trying to justify it by saying it was for customers own good.

For security reasons my arse! 

Worse still, there was no explanation... nothing.  Nope, the head of Apple security treated customers like dumbarses [and probably some are/were] by saying an explantion would have been confusing... and therefore their purchases were just wiped away.

Bastards, that's all I gotta say, dirty rotten criminal bastards.

So what say you, peoples of Stardock, etc?

Locked Post 74 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 5, 2014 5:12:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well...they only deleted the competition's music "for your own good". I'd post a picture, but I'm too tired to shop a transparent apple, mate.

As Al-Qaida/Boko Haram/Shish Kabob/etc. would say, "We only kidnapped and murdered your family for your own good."

What a wonderful world, with so many folks caring about your good, isn't it?

Some non-Apple music:

December 5, 2014 5:40:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

if i remember correctly this happened when people used third-party software to add DRM protected music from elsewhere and that messed up the iPod's database and then the repair routine kicked in.

it was a non-issue back then. now it's just lawyers looking for money. might work.

December 5, 2014 1:01:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have currently about 7GB of music on my iphone and i dont recall just a single mp3 ever being deleted from there against my will for whatever reason. And you can bet utter majority of those mp3s were not bought from iTunes. So this is basically non-issue - unlike other things, like for example iphone going all hot and draining battery like crazy while using wifi on iOS 8.1. Thats a thing that needs attention of media, so it gets fixed.

December 5, 2014 4:35:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Better yet, never but another Apple product, ever! 

December 5, 2014 7:16:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Only 'Apple' thing I own is a 2C ...paid $5 for the whole thing...and I still think it was overpriced as a bookend....

December 6, 2014 12:10:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Only 'Apple' thing I own is a 2C ...paid $5 for the whole thing...and I still think it was overpriced as a bookend...

h

Hehe, still got that thing, eh?

Woulda thought you'd have used it for a speed bump in the driveway by now.

December 6, 2014 8:44:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's a simple 'curiosity' [dust collector].... just like the mantel piece valve radio my old man got going again.... great if you want to listen to AM. [I don't].

I once threw out a genuine IBM XT and since rued the day...as an exact copy resides in our Museum beside CSIRAC [the world's only surviving 1st gen computer].

December 6, 2014 9:30:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

It's a simple 'curiosity' [dust collector]

I have a few dust collectors of my own that I likely will never throw out... like an old fob watch of my grandfather's.  It no longer works, but it is the only thing I have of his, and when I look at it I am reminded of what a great man he was.... brings back many fond memories.

As for keeping 'something' Apple as a curiosity/dust collector, I'd personally use it as a speed bump somewhere.

December 6, 2014 10:22:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

It's a simple 'curiosity' [dust collector].... just like the mantel piece valve radio my old man got going again.... great if you want to listen to AM. [I don't].

I once threw out a genuine IBM XT and since rued the day...as an exact copy resides in our Museum beside CSIRAC [the world's only surviving 1st gen computer].

Wow! I'm feeling old,I used to work with IBM XT's. I even worked on Zenith computers before they shut down in the US. Ahhhh, the old 8086, 80286, 80386 and 80486's.....  I remember them well. 

December 6, 2014 6:44:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Wow! I'm feeling old,I used to work with IBM XT's. I even worked on Zenith computers before they shut down in the US. Ahhhh, the old 8086, 80286, 80386 and 80486's..... I remember them well.

Yes...I've had and used XTs...ATs.. 286/386/486/P1/P2/P4/P4/i5/i7.....and started on a Fortran mainframe in the late 60's ...

At least I can say the CSIRAC was almost 'old' when I was born...

December 6, 2014 7:37:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had an IBM machine in my PC infancy [was the 2nd machine I ever owned... and I've had a couple dozen since]

Dunno if it was an XT or not, but it was a P2 1.8ghz and had 512mb RAM... like wow, it was a flyer.

Not really, which is why I invested in a build of my own when the opportunity arose.

I sold the IBM in working order with monitor, keyboard and mouse for $150 to help finance the new build.... a P4 with 2gb RAM

December 6, 2014 10:10:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Dunno if it was an XT or not, but it was a P2 1.8ghz and had 512mb RAM... like wow, it was a flyer.

It wasn't an XT.

If you were lucky you had one of those with an expansion card about 18" long that gave you ONE MEG of ram.

They typically were green-screens with a 20meg harddrive.

Some time before then a certain person said you'd never need any more than the 640k ram.....

December 6, 2014 11:48:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting starkers,
reply 11

It wasn't an XT.

Like I said, I don't recall what model it was, just that it was an IBM and had a nice bootscreen [compared to the Windows equielant]

In fact, it was quite a decent PC in its day... Apple could have learn't quite alot if it had taken the time to care [read: give a shit].

Anyway, this thread isn't about how good IBM was/is, but about how bad Apple is and always will be.

So people, please feel free to diss Apple... whenever you can; wherever you can; for whatever reason you can.

The more the merrier.

Doesn't have to be legitimate... or even real, just diss because you can... because you fechen want to.

No excuses needed... just do it because it feels good.

Oh, and ID, I know that you have alot of Apple products on your desk, so please don't feel obliged to join in... unless you want to, that is.

So there, owners of Apple tech are more than welcome to say their piece about the things that piss them off about Apple's walled garden and other quirks/peculiarities the company has regarding users want, needs, rights, etc.

December 15, 2014 8:32:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

iTunes and my son's and wife's experience with it is the reason I do not go near Apple products.  My wife has some home movies that itunes tries to delete.  So instead of an iPad, I got her a Kindle Fire HD.  It actually is better for what she wants to use it for.

Apple has some good things.  iTunes is not one of them.

December 15, 2014 8:36:33 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,

If you were lucky you had one of those with an expansion card about 18" long that gave you ONE MEG of ram.

I do not think the XT did 1mb.  The AT did.  It was a 286 that started at 8mhz and went up from there.  We used a 16mhz AT for our first file server (it also had 4mb of RAM and ran Novell Netware).  It had a 33mb external HD that sounded like a jet taxiing , and was the size of a small pig.  It died after 1 year.

Ah, the fun of early PCs.

December 15, 2014 9:31:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,

I do not think the XT did 1mb.

Yes it did...via a monster of an expansion card....like one of those old full-size VGA cards only twice as long.

It had a 20meg drive and a green screen.

Prior to that one I'd been given an XT 'clone' that had a 40meg drive and a Monochrome monitor.

The IBM XT looked like this one...

December 15, 2014 10:10:03 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Yea, that is the XT!  And you are correct.  It was the plane jane PC that did not do the 1mb cards.  Time dulls memories.

But I had one customer in 1991 who wanted me to upgrade one of those suckers to accept a 3.5" floppy!  Because the damn thing would not die!

December 16, 2014 5:37:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,

It had a 33mb external HD that sounded like a jet taxiing

That reminded me of something that I had completely forgotten about and actually made me chuckle a little bit-

Somewhere around the XT/AT era I had a parallel port tape drive backup.  That sucker would whir furiously, then slow down some, then whir furiously, the stop, clunk around a little, whir some more, and on and on.

To follow your analogy, it sounded like a partying pilot was relentlessly trying to park a 747 into a horse stall.

I'll give the thing credit though, it did actually work pretty well.

December 16, 2014 7:07:35 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting DaveRI,

it sounded like a partying pilot was relentlessly trying to park a 747 into a horse stall.

I like that even more!

December 16, 2014 7:19:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

I really wanted to take a shot at Google today but couldn't find anything newsworthy or damning.

However, I found the next best thing...  a damning indictment on Apple... something it oughta be fechin' ashamed of but instead is defending.

Yup, the mother-whats-its [insert expletive here] created software to delete competitors music purchased by users from their iPods and other fechen i devices.

Despicable ain't the word for it!  Try downright fechen criminal... and Apple is trying to justify it by saying it was for customers own good.

Worse still, there was no explanation... nothing.  Nope, the head of Apple security treated customers like dumbarses [and probably some are/were] by saying an explantion would have been confusing... and therefore their purchases were just wiped away.

Please do not bash apple in the forums without a warrant. Downright fechen criminal.

December 17, 2014 12:50:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RiddleKing,

Quoting ,

Please do not bash apple in the forums without a warrant. Downright fechen criminal.

This is NOT Apple bashing... we're taking pot shots.  Besides, Apple's reputation is already bruised... was long before this thread came to mind... will be long after the thread is forgotten... and not because of it.... because Apple is its own worst enemy, what with dubious litigations and 'inventing' everything from the wheel to toilet seats

December 17, 2014 5:03:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting starkers,

This is NOT Apple bashing... we're taking pot shots.  Besides, Apple's reputation is already bruised... was long before this thread came to mind... will be long after the thread is forgotten... and not because of it.... because Apple is its own worst enemy, what with dubious litigations and 'inventing' everything from the wheel to toilet seats

Steve Jobs is gone and beating someone whose down is wrong.

They spend millions in filtering all the content in their devices to create a sometimes more than secure but unfair yet legally competitive strategy.

Music purchased on iTunes can only be played on apple devices.. so what? Its almost  one dallar per song so pay extra to get it on android devices than trying to justify your dollar should also play on android. Stop being cheap. 

I really don't see what this fuss is about because content purchased on apple devices for that cheap needs extra security not to be distributed elsewhere. Jesus christ-its a bargain and consumers are not paying for the security, apple is. So who is apple securing you may ask--well artist, musicians etc so that they can fund creativity. 

"Do not take pot shots at apple without a Warrant"

December 17, 2014 6:28:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RiddleKing,

Steve Jobs is gone and beating someone whose down is wrong.
They spend millions in filtering all the content in their devices to create a sometimes more than secure but unfair yet legally competitive strategy.
Music purchased on iTunes can only be played on apple devices.. so what? Its almost one dallar per song so pay extra to get it on android devices than trying to justify your dollar should also play on android. Stop being cheap.
I really don't see what this fuss is about because content purchased on apple devices for that cheap needs extra security not to be distributed elsewhere. Jesus christ-its a bargain and consumers are not paying for the security, apple is. So who is apple securing you may ask--well artist, musicians etc so that they can fund creativity.
"Do not take pot shots at apple without a Warrant"

Because Steve Jobs even 'stole' the Beatles Recording Label....then when taken to task over it AGREED NOT to enter into the music industry and thus cause Trade Name confusion - adding insult to existing injury....

....and promptly released this iTunes junk...thus violating the agreement yet again.

Saddest part is....he admitted TAKING the name....cos he liked the Beatles.

Here's the trick, you arse...don't dilute their IP by copying the 'Apple' name.

I suppose he stopped short of a double sided logo...you know....an apple on one side...and the cut side on the other....[young people may need to ask their parents].

Not bashing him, but he 'could' have shown an inventive spark and come up with his own name.

December 17, 2014 6:51:56 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting RiddleKing,

Its almost one dallar per song so pay extra to get it on android devices than trying to justify your dollar should also play on android. Stop being cheap.

It is not extra.  Apple basically set the bar at $1, so you can get the same songs from many sources for the same price.  And they do play anywhere.

itunes was a great concept!  The implementation is the reason that the competitors caught up, and are now passing them.

December 17, 2014 6:53:25 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Because Steve Jobs even 'stole' the Beatles Recording Label....then when taken to task over it AGREED NOT to enter into the music industry and thus cause Trade Name confusion - adding insult to existing injury....

He even flaunted it - that is where the sound "sosumi" comes from.  If you sound it out, you get the message he gave the Beatles.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: