The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Sorcerer King FAQ

By on October 2, 2014 2:12:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1312

Q: What's the deal? There's a ton of awesome 4X fantasy strategy games to play. How is your game different?
A: This game assumes you’ve already played those games. And lost.

Q: Wait, what? I already lost? I haven’t even loaded up your game.
A: Yea, sorry about that.

Q: What the hell happened?
A: So to recap, in games like Fallen Enchantress, Age of Wonders, Worlds of Magic, Master of Magic, Warlock, Endless Legends, etc. you are trying to build an empire from the ground up. You compete against multiple kingdoms trying to do the same thing and win through a variety of means. Right?

Q: Right. And you’re saying Sorcerer King isn’t about that?
A: Exactly. All those things happened *before* Sorcerer King. And I have some bad news. The Sorcerer King won.

Q: So I don’t play as the Sorcerer King?
A: No. The Sorcerer King was the guy who won the previous game. He already conquered everyone.

Q: So what’s the object of your game then?
A: Well, having already built his empire and defeated everyone, the Sorcerer King wants outright Godhood and to do that, he must destroy the handful of remaining magical shards to capture their essence so that he can cast the Spell of Making.

Q: I’m familiar with that fantasy trope. So he’s capturing—
A: No, he’s destroying the shards. He’s not playing the same game you’re playing. We call that Asymmetrical 4X.

Q: Asymmetrical 4X? Is that even a thing? Sounds like a marketing thing.
A: Yea, probably. But it means that the player’s goals are very different than that of the other players.

Q: So in this game it’s not about a bunch of players building empires?
A: Right. Everyone already had their shot to build their empire. This game is what happens after the bad guy won.

Q: So what are you, the player, supposed to do?
A: Keep the Sorcerer King from destroying the shards and becoming a god.

Q: How do you do that?
A: First, you must build up and fortify your last remaining city.

Second, train new units to go out and protect the shards.

Third, you need to build up new cities to ensure you have the logistical capability of even taking on the Sorcerer King.

Fourth, find the remnants of the empires that were already defeated by the Sorcerer King and see if they can help you or at least keep them from totally surrendering to the Sorcerer King.

Fifth, go on quests, kill monsters to gather ingredients and items to use for crafting.

Q: Well that sounds like a 4X to me.
A: It is a 4X. It’s an asymmetrical one. The other players aren’t building up empires, going up some tech tree, negotiating treaties. They are all doing different things. Some are just trying to survive. Others want revenge. Some are just jerks. Seriously. Hate those guys. And the Sorcerer King himself wants to be a god. He’s already got an empire. Your job is to stop him by trying to convince the remnant empires that there’s still hope, building new cities, going on quests, finding ingredients for crafting, etc.

Q: Ah, so this game has crafting?
A: Sure does. You possess the Forge of the Overlord and can use recipes and ingredients to craft powerful equipment to give to your units.

Q: So what are the victory conditions?
A: Kill the Sorcerer King.

Q: And…?
A: That’s it. The fun is in how you go about doing that. Your means and strategy will differ from game to game based on map size, which quests come up, which minor factions are in there, what environments are available, which of the 6 different sovereigns you choose, which heroes you find, what resources are available, what spells the Sorcerer King learns, etc.

Q: What about Diplomacy? Can’t you ally with the other players and win that way?
A: Allying is indeed a victory condition – for the Sorcerer King. He will try to get you to ally with him.

Q: Wait? You can ally with the Sorcerer King?
A: Sure! Remember, he’s the one playing the traditional 4X game. He’s the one sending out settlers and building cities and conquering and trying to cast the spell of making or allying with the other races to win.

Q: What happens if you do ally with him?
A: You die.

Q: So why would I do that?
A: I don’t know. People like victory conditions.

Q: But it’s a victory condition for the Sorcerer King!
A: Well yea, it’s his game. I mean, it’s his name on the box. It’s not like the game is called Bob’s game.

Q: My name isn’t Bob.
A: And it never will be with that attitude.

Locked Post 37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 3, 2014 2:25:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting davrovana,

I love this game. But if Tattyhat decides he doesn't approve of it, I will burn the computer I played it on.

Thank you for your support, but I would rather you gave me your computer for spare and repairs.  Seems such a waste to just incinerate it.  

I like the let's Play's by Das.  He is good at picking out the bad as well as the good points, and giving you a overall impression of how the game feels, as in, can it keep your attention.  He has saved me a few bob has Das.

October 3, 2014 3:14:53 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I personally don't really care about multiplayer and i really like the idea of playing the underdog.

I know of course that many games enable you to compete against greater empires (like Distant Worlds) but they're not specifically designed to be played this way.

And i'm extremely interested in this new feature "given the right attitude, you can rename yourself Bob, then rename the game to be Bob's Game, then ally with yourself to win the game".  

October 3, 2014 8:06:34 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Wow the trolls are dicks here. This game is definitely interesting. Will keep an eye out for some more demo footage before pulling the trigger.

October 3, 2014 2:04:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow. In reading Brad's FAQ, I really question the choice of artwork for SK. After watching the let's play releases so far, I was definitely not given the impression of a dark struggle of rebels and last stands. I felt I was in hobbit-town or something.

October 4, 2014 9:21:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Found it on Steam a few days ago and it looks like a cool game.

My main question is if it will be balanced/competetive in that there shouldn't be obvious choices like mage is better than other classes or archers are overpowered etc.

October 5, 2014 10:41:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So basically, the Empire has formed and is trying to gather more power to itself. You are trying to avoid annihilation and form a rebel alliance among disparate, often adversarial groups with all the headaches that entails. Interesting.

In fantasy terms, this is like the end of the First Age of middle earth, where all the great kingdoms have been destroyed and corrupted by Morgoth and all that's left are small communities of refugees on the coast and the island of Balar. Both Morgoth and the sons of Feanor are trying to get the third silmaril which is in the keeping of one of the refugee communities.

Which begs the question: is there a chance of a deus ex machina where powerful outside forces come to your aid to destroy the sorceror king?

October 6, 2014 5:56:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This does sound interesting.

It also sort of sounds like a comparison to Star Wars: A New Hope.

The viewer finds themselves introduced to a universe where an Evil Galactic Empire has won the day and is building the Deathstar to quell any further threat of revolution and dissent. 

We meet the rebellion that has to stop the evil emperor by any and all means.

So instead of the Emperor we have the sorcerer king

Instead of the Force we have magic

Instead of the rebel alliance we have surviving warring kingdoms from FE:LH

October 7, 2014 1:42:35 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Redaxe,

This does sound interesting.

It also sort of sounds like a comparison to Star Wars: A New Hope.

The viewer finds themselves introduced to a universe where an Evil Galactic Empire has won the day and is building the Deathstar to quell any further threat of revolution and dissent. 

We meet the rebellion that has to stop the evil emperor by any and all means.

So instead of the Emperor we have the sorcerer king

Instead of the Force we have magic

Instead of the rebel alliance we have surviving warring kingdoms from FE:LH

Well, shit. Now that you put it that way, it sure does. And I love it!

October 7, 2014 3:27:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, please look at:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/458223

Especially Point 2, as I think it's too late to change the art style.   But definitely have a lot more ruins and stuff around the place.

October 9, 2014 1:22:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just learned that sorceror King is shown today.

My first impression was that I thought I was watching Care Bears cartoon again after such a long time from the cartoony map/pictures. And I didn't like care bears. >.>

Edit: Now I understand why, the units look fine but, its the buildings,, its the buildings/cities that look like they're straight out of care bears.

Anyways, why do you have to die when you ally with sorceror king, that's quite.. boring. Unoriginal, and been done to death in games. How about, ya know, after you become sorceror king's ally you follow his orders to help him reach godhood. Now that's more fun. Because the game isn't over yet unless you're the last guy he made an alliance treaty with.

Another point about becoming sorceror king's ally.. you see in AOW3. I was playing with my friends, but then I got overpowered by one of my friends by alot of manticores. I was like ok I lose after losing a decisive battle. I work for you now. And so we made an alliance treaty together and attempted to eradicate all other remaining players together. I like this kind of fun. And more importantly, losers get to keep on playing longer and attempt to grief the opposing surviving players. Is far more entertaining from roleplaying point. And you get to address grievances onto players who failed to deliver you aid from manticore swarm forcing them to better sharp up their game for next time. (OR DID THEY JUST WANTED TO SEE YOU BURN?!)

So back to sorceror king, if he wants me to go explore something or scout something or kill something or simply smash a mana shard. I do it for him. Although spoils from exploring will need to be divided up, soldiers don't pay themselves! Because if I'm gonna lose, well, might as well have fun on my way out being a loyal minion.

Edit: And join the sorceror king in it's wars too!

October 9, 2014 9:44:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not having posted here for a long time, it's interesting how many of these topics we covered in the podcast last night.  Convergence if ever there was an example of it.

October 9, 2014 3:19:03 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I think a preamble referencing why you must not join the SK would be nice.

Let's say a wise old sage informs you that the SK, upon destroying all the shards, will cast the spell that allows him to obtain godhood but this will mean all life on the planet Elemental will be utterly destroyed. So working with him will just mean certain death.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.