The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc #3

By on June 6, 2014 4:53:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

Update 5/5/2016 -Stream is back!

Well, I started a thread back in Dec 2011 that’s seen a lot of activity (some 922,000 views over the course of a few years apparently...).  That thread had a good deal of tips/strategies/discussions about League of Legends from new and old players alike.  You can find the previous thread (now archived) here:  http://forums.joeuser.com/413863.  I think its time to start fresh with a new thread.

What’s this thread all about?
For those that followed the previous thread, the type of content you see here will be fairly consistent to what you are used to.  Please consider this a place to discuss LoL related content as you like.  I'll do the same and treat the thread as a blog as well where I talk about what’s going on with me in LoL.  Feel free to jump in and join the discussion if you like.

Quick background on me
I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust. Back in August 2011, I started getting heavily involved in League of Legends, and folks from the community were kind enough to help me figure things out.  I play LoL most nights, stream, make videos and it’s my main gaming interest.

Some links 

2986 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 1, 2015 10:50:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

riven top lane appears for invictus vs shen... support shen

October 1, 2015 11:43:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bleh... Bit of a let down of a game.  Also plz... I need to see more azir vs vik.  Sigh

October 1, 2015 12:28:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Jesus, C9 just shat all over AHQ in their first game.  Veigar 2 strong.

October 1, 2015 12:42:47 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

yeah - c9 was amazing.  Seriously - f rito's garbage with mord.  Having to see bans wasted on mord = crap.  

October 1, 2015 4:29:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't know if you've seen it yet, but the client was updated and its very easy to check out the games on demand.  Looks like this:

October 1, 2015 6:57:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The crappening continues tonight at a theatre near you at 8pm est.  http://www.rifftrax.com/

October 2, 2015 8:55:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

mm... more games soon.

Last night I checked out the latest rifftrax (riff trax is the current iteration of mystery science theater 3000 - starring the same guys from MST3k.  They do a kickstarter yearly and the end result is you can see a live simulcast of a live riffing (eg watching a bad movie and hearing them do comedy commentary during it) in a movie theater... probably near you.  Anyway, I love that stuff.  It's having a replay in movie theatres next Thursday (10/8) at 7 or 8PM EST.  Worth checking out in my opinion.  Give it a try if you like.

Anyway, getting to watch some more worlds games today as well.  Loved that c9 game from yesterday though. Bunch of suckers rooting against them.  Also, Bangkok Titans are crap.

October 2, 2015 10:33:35 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

hey coral!

why don't you like using Elise?  Seems like she'd be up your ally.  

October 2, 2015 1:02:35 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

faker... mid lane olaf... 

October 2, 2015 2:13:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ugh.  Someone should get fired over the whole Morde thing.  Or transferred to the Northern Russia Server.  Feel it's pretty lame only having 6 bans anyway but having essentially only 5 bans in worlds because Riot wanted to force their garbage skill cap PvE melee bot carry champion for people who can't kite good and want to learn to do other things good too into the game.  He shoulda gotten Urgot nerfed until they could tune him properly or removed from Worlds.

I guess maybe the balance team at Riot never got to see him played much and possibly thought he was rather weak and figured he was banned because people found him more annoying than anything else?

October 2, 2015 2:45:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Thundercles,

I guess maybe the balance team at Riot never got to see him played much and possibly thought he was rather weak and figured he was banned because people found him more annoying than anything else?

Man I don't know... it still just seems like a really bad joke to me (like Bangkok titans... also looking like a joke day 2).  Let's update this champ, give him the ability to passively take dragon, give him 100% xp in a solo duo lane, all the other crap.  And honestly, its not really strong enough to even pick imo (unless you know some team that has perhaps worked out some godly comp or something... that we haven't ever seen).  I really think there are 2 camps still on him, though - 1 says he's OP, the other says he's annoying.  I'm in the he's not worth banning, he's annoying camp and believe he's only a threat when inexperienced folks feed his booty.

Also I think we are just grouchy, old men now.  :0

Anyway, I wonder how rough it would be if we did have a total of 8 bans (4 per team).  You probably always see bans in ranked on the new champs (you often do anyway, but now it would probably be more common - personally, I think it might be good to block new champs automatically until their IP cost is down to 6300.  That take care of anyone being a pisser and trying out a new champ in ranked anyway).   Extra bans mean you could force out more compositions and would likely result in more diversity in play.  I think rito is quite aware that if mord, for instance, is a ban, then now some other champ will see the light of day and mix things up.  How many freaking azir vs vik matchups did we need to see?  And how many would actually have happened with another ban...

Anyway, I'd certainly like to be able to at least try out the 8 ban system and see how it plays out.  

October 2, 2015 3:03:06 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Random update on my current gold rune support theory.  

• Still running on zero melees
  • Using on thresh/morg fairly exclusively now (exclusively = not running on other ranged supports)
  • I've been using for quite some time (but haven't talked about it) Phreaks AP safe rune support page that includes 2 gp/10 quints.  Weaves a decent balance, but the impact is obviously a little less - only using this on some ranged ap supports tho

Not like super excited about the gold stuff atm and preferring to play other supports.  Haven't been playing morg much lately, but I'm struggling with proper play when I look to rush zekes on her - My GDM setup with her lends itself very well to early zhonya's/engage power and I'm still playing like I would if I had a zhonyas when I have a zekes... obv... bad things happen.  And my leona play is a bit off atm - little rusty.  

Looking forward to some games tonight - still kinda hyped w/ all the worlds fun

October 2, 2015 4:19:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, grouchy old men.  Sounds about right.  Goddamned kids and their extra complicated champions.  Back in my day not every champion had a gap closer.  Now?  Each champ that comes out has like 2-3.  Sometimes in the same ability.

Re: Gold Digger Supports

Gold Digger Morg has lots of potential.  Kinda reminds me of when Cloud 9 came on the scene with Zyra/Ashe bot.  I think they'd feed some farm to Zyra so she'd hit a powerspike that would allow them to always get the first Dragon... I think?  Anyway, that early Zhonya's on Morg is really huge and could very much be worth the early game deficit.  Especially when she's up against the champs like Leona that she counters where just going even and not getting killed in lane is actually a win. 

Thresh.  Gold Runes on Thresh.  Yeah... just warn me when you're going to be playing Thresh and we might lane together.  After watching Flash Wolves use Varus I'm inspired to play him again and I think he'd be a great champ to pair with Lose Lane And Beg Karl To Gank Thresh.

October 2, 2015 9:20:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,

Anyway, that early Zhonya's on Morg is really huge and could very much be worth the early game deficit.  Especially when she's up against the champs like Leona that she counters where just going even and not getting killed in lane is actually a win. 

yeah, but I'm not sure if I would be better suited to go for that zhonya rush or force the zekes and be cautious.  I'm a lot more used to the zhonya playstyle but seriously, everything I've seen folks are usually prioritizing that on her.  

re; thresh - nah - i can just not play thresh w/ ya.  Not a big deal.

October 2, 2015 9:59:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

October 4, 2015 7:14:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

holy crap c9 vs fanatic...

October 6, 2015 10:49:30 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Going to bed more regularly at 11PM on weeknights.  Old pacov salutes you.  

October 6, 2015 3:49:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

oh - and I started toying around with a new support build.  You can see the specifics on my op gg page under support test slot for both runes/masteries if you care to.

I run 10% CDR for runes.  Then, I'm taking a weird setup in masteries to get 20% flat CDR out the gates.  That gives me the option to hit 30% or 35% very easily (via 1 cdr support item or boots of lucidity), which actually has a pretty nice impact on champs like thresh, etc.  And it doesn't hurt the cost effectiveness of your build.  Lower cools downs are swell though.  For masteries I'm gimping myself a little, but its not over the top considering support - I think its a 4/7/19 - the 4 in offense is for the 5% cdr - 7 in def for tankiness/sustain, and the 19 is required to get you into the additional 5% cdr.  So far I'm finding I have plenty of sustain and that there isn't much of a trade off.  Just something I'm toying around with anyway. eg el testo.  

I'm trying to think about what practical supports this would be good on.

1 impractical one is trundle - pillars up very often means more windows of opportunity.  Thresh is good for the added cool down on his q.  Blitz is good, but they still have such high mana costs, you could burn out pretty quick with the added cdr.  Actually blitz might have the most potential with the bonus cdr.  Ali's cooldowns are super high, but I'm not sure how much I like being less tanky with him early (eg the cdr tradeoff might be prohibitive on him).  It might be really good on him as well provided you adjust your playstyle.  Same sort of crap with shen, but I think its prob crap.  Works fine on mr braum (I think I ran that setup during our ranked the other day).  

Anyone else that would be good with low gold/high cdr early as a potential support?  

Random question - does anyone know if vayne can condemn onto trundle's pillar? It think that works now, but not sure. 

Hoping to get a game in with you folks sometime soon anyway.  

October 6, 2015 6:09:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The CDR was secondary for me, it's the 20% for actives that I was really after.  I typically end up with at least two as support, some times three, and zipping around the map with the extra movement, along with the active from talisman, is pretty nice.

October 6, 2015 6:59:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Its really great that the two of you agree on runes/masteries.

October 6, 2015 7:54:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

heh... +1 for being a condescending shite.  

October 6, 2015 8:42:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just tried it with brand - actually kind of doable with his passive + spell thief procs for laning damage.  avg Plat elo team builder tho.  still, 2nd stun on low cooldown + a 40 sec ult.  Same old downsides of mage supports tho - ouch if lanes are bad.  Trying it with vel koz now.  Prob crap.  

edit - vel'koz more leaning towards smeh  -prob fine if the adc with was a little stronger (I explained how shift clicking worked ).  Was able to spam his spells, but its less reliable than brand without as strong a passive - at least brand was the ability to go as a true support (eg support items only) as long you are decent with his stuns.  

October 6, 2015 10:30:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

we have met our match:

October 6, 2015 11:38:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Apparently a big release of Championify (downloads and loads recommended items by role using up-to-date stats.  Its kind of a fire and forget thing that i load every now and then.  Worth using imo and no real harm if you do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/3nqn81/championify_100_championgg_item_sets_in_game_the/

October 7, 2015 7:17:19 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

1 more day until games continue - I've got a pretty good feeling about the Bangkok Titans this time

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time: