The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

War of Magic, should it be brought back?

By on December 7, 2013 7:23:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Greetings!

For those of you not familiar with our Elemental game universe here it is in brief:

Elemental is a fantasy world made up of many different civilizations vying for control the world. There is a great deal of history and lore to tap into and we decided to begin making games in this world back with 2010s release of War of Magic.  Unfortunately, when it came out, it was pretty buggy and got some negative reviews. We fixed the bugs but the game itself was still pretty meh.

So in 2012, we released the second game in the Elemental universe called Fallen Enchantress which was good and we're pretty proud of that game.  We followed it up with an expansion pack called Legendary Heroes that further refined the Fallen Enchantress game mechanics.

We do intend to follow Fallen Enchantress with a third strategy game in the Elemental universe but it'll be very different from either War of Magic or Fallen Enchantress as it focuses largely on, well I can't really go into that yet. 

When Fallen Enchantress was released, we discontinued War of Magic. I don't think it's available for sale anywhere anymore.  My question is, would anyone be interested in us revisiting War of Magic in the future to release a kind of "War of Magic: Director's Cut" or something where we refined the WOM game design, updated the visuals.

WOM had some interesting game mechanics such as a pretty big emphasis on a dynasty system and a number of other distinctive mechanics that could be refined further.

Let us know what you think. Would we be opening up "old wounds" or would be restoring faith to those who believed in the original "not-MOM" concept?

183 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 8, 2013 9:55:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, please. No more teases, though!

December 8, 2013 10:18:15 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

To be honest I tried the game at a friend's but wasn't impressed, so I let the whole series slip. Didn't even have a look at fallen enchantress, although after reading more about it it sounds more interesting.

I need more info.

December 8, 2013 11:57:04 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

If you like 4x games you'd probably like Fe:legendary heroes.

whst we would do with a wom remake is start it after the third elemental game is done and creste wom as a branch in that tree. It wouldn't be a major game project. More like a stand alone DLC level thing for players who wanted to see what awOM was supposed to be like.m what shipped, and even 1.4 is not even close to what was originally designed.

December 8, 2013 12:00:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No. As much as I have enjoyed FE and LH, I won't buy WoM (again). And it certainly doesn't make sense (or cents) to give it away.

I'd rather see resources used elsewhere.

EDIT: Frogboy posted as I was writing the above. So, while my "No" response is softened a bit by what he said, I'm still not excited by the prospect of a WoM update.

December 8, 2013 12:22:42 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I think the only thing that would seriously make me look at EWOM again would be using memory in a different way. I remember you (or Derek) posting awhile ago that we could have either really cool looking units with particle effects or land that changes based on faction. You chose cool looking units. I would love the idea of a land that changes instead based on faction and season. I remember HF's mod would spawn Arctic for the Ice Golems and stuff. I imagined trees for Elves, that sort of thing. That I would really really dig, especially if it changed based on season (like Lord of the Realms II did back in the day).

December 8, 2013 12:45:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I played both WoM and Fallen Enchantress,and I don't really see the need to revisit the old game with an upgrade.  I think it makes more sense to sit on the WoM brand name for a couple years and when you are ready to do a completely new iteration of the series, you break out the WoM name again, which I think is a stronger product name than Fallen Enchantress. 

December 8, 2013 12:56:53 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Nekromanta,

For Ewom owners new version for free ?

Although a remastered edition is technically buying the same game twice. I personally would let that slide because I, like many ewom owners, got FE and/or LH for free because of the problems with E:WOM.  Also, if you buy it now it's only 4.49 on Amazon. Considering Stardock kept their promise they could ask me to pay for a remake and it would not bother me in the slightest. 

December 8, 2013 1:30:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I vote yes.  I enjoyed the Dynasty aspect of the game.

December 8, 2013 1:39:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tend to side with Heavenfall on this.  WoM opened the door to the franchise, but isn't really worth going back to.  While the Dynasty system was interesting, it also had a lot of major flaws (IMHO) that I'm not sure could be resolved with a remake or touchups.

December 8, 2013 1:51:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I vote no. There are lots of good games on the market nowadays. I just wouldn't have time or interest in another game with only human-looking races. That really is the deciding factor for me. I like mythical, fantasy races in my games.

December 8, 2013 2:17:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I miss the dynasty aspect. However, to be honest, I have difficulty differentiating the three games. I see them all as one game that has gone though some upgrades. The facts that visually they are hard to distinguish doesn't help and many of the differences in game play are reasonable subtle or at least not glaring. 

I would love to see more games like that but then I would expect them to be significantly different from what has come before. So I vote yes I would like to see director cut for WOM but I would like to see it come back as obviously different game as they others.

December 8, 2013 2:20:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

If you like 4x games you'd probably like Fe:legendary heroes.

whst we would do with a wom remake is start it after the third elemental game is done and creste wom as a branch in that tree. It wouldn't be a major game project. More like a stand alone DLC level thing for players who wanted to see what awOM was supposed to be like.m what shipped, and even 1.4 is not even close to what was originally designed.

I think it might be too late now, and most people seem to prefer something different and new rather than a rehash. I suppose the question to ask is why do you want to do this? Is it a vanity project to prove what could be done with more time and resources or would it honestly add something to the current line-up? Perhaps it could be a secret chapter or a lost race or a flashback (I don't know, I'm just rumbling now) reintroduced to explain some things in the original game

December 8, 2013 2:30:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It sounds interesting, I guess if it's based off the latest releases I'd buy it. I also trust Derek to do good with it.

December 8, 2013 3:38:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

how anyone could say no to this^ is beyond me.  yes, please!

December 8, 2013 3:41:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi,

My opinion is that I would like a new stardock 4X game in a medfan setting, with dinasty like you said.

But I also want to have something fresh and new. While I like Fallen Enchantress, I think I want a new lore, world.

I think also for Stardock the company, it would be better to come with something branded new and not something that press would consider as a next iteration of Elemental.

Anyway, I'll give an eye to anything new from Stardock.

December 8, 2013 3:52:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,
how anyone could say no to this^ is beyond me. yes, please!

Because we remember what E:wom was like, and it was horrible compared to even FE.

- Factions were almost identical

- Heroes were extremely generic with no unique traits or such, and of course no level-up traits

- Content was lacking - few special items, few monsters in the world

- Combat balance was silly

- Spell system was poorly implemented and in particular scaling to mid/endgame was extremely bad

- Crashes (remember those?)

- 90 minute single player campaign

What else has been drastically improved to FE:LH?

- AI, strategic and tactical, including diplomacy

- Graphics

- Memory, cpu usage (E:wom vs FE:LH is less "game" for essentially the same resources)

- Map generation (and let's not forget my favourite feature of FE: Wildlands!)

- Modding

- UI

So let's say they want to go back and fix all that, take it down another path so to speak. That's at least a year of active development by a full team to bring it up to a standard that might be considered average.

So I am saying "no thanks" because I'd rather Stardock do something more productive with their time. A Fall from heaven game. A MoM2 game. An Elemental RPG. And so on.

December 8, 2013 4:13:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

E:WoM had some cool systems in it. I was particularly fond of dynasties and the concept of researching spells. I would say if everyone (who would be working on it anyways) is passionate about it, go for it. However, it would probably be a lot of grueling work to sift through all the gameplay and distill out what needed to be in it.

My dream game doesn't exist yet. So if instead you want to make a game where you exist as an individual in an extremely low magic world where nations are already established and you must vie for control or immortality in an environment where magic is frowned upon or even feared while magic has a much broader range from subtle to fantastic but is difficult to find and difficult to learn and master but gives you much greater control over how you cast your spells in order to manage the risk involved, be my guest! /RunOnSentence

December 8, 2013 4:27:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Honestly I spent the night really thinking about this, while I would buy it if they remade it, since I feel they have well repayed their promise to fix the franchise.

However after thinking, I would much rather prefer a 10.00-15.00 DLC that totally reworked and brought the dynasty system into Legendary Heroes instead. And further made diplomacy more complex than it is. (I would hope more complex than civ V.)

December 8, 2013 5:15:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

*snip

The only possible explanation for your post is that you missed the part where Frog said "It wouldn't be a major game project. More like a stand alone DLC level thing for players who wanted to see what awOM was supposed to be like.m what shipped".

Again, how anyone could say no to this^ is beyond my comprehension.

December 8, 2013 5:55:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My opinion is that it should only be brought back as a new game, not using the current engine, and even then, you probably would be better off with a new IP instead, or doing a Fall From Heaven 3.

December 8, 2013 6:01:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe it's my old memory or just wishful thinking, but I think most are thinking mostly of the problems and dynasty part of WoM, and not the most intriguing part -- essence.  LH is a great game but it's pretty much the standard 4X Civ4-but-with-magic game.  WoM had the potential to be very different.  Consider the typical 4x game -- eXpansion is a big part.  Settle cities, grow huge, win.  WoM had another possible strategy -- grow powerful while staying small.

Essence could be used to:

-found cities

-imbue champions with spellcasting

-power spells

So, one game could be a typical 4X game -- expand by making lots of cities and having cities create units, collect resources, etc.  Another game could be gathering a number of powerful spell-casting champions.  Another game could be hoarding essence and having a very powerful Sov casting very powerful spells across the board from her/his capital.

What games offer that sort of choice?

In LH essence is pretty blah, comparably.  It's a function of city site.  There are choices -- which city spell to cast -- but that choice would exist in a WoM game (as described above) too, plus much greater choices.

If WoM2 is just going to be a patched up WoM with dynasty slapped on (or rather turned on as parts of the dynasty code are still in LH) then it'd be better to just do a DLC dynasty for LH.

Plus there's the 'revitalize the land' thing.  Why is there 'green' and 'dark' land in LH?  It's merely cosmetic, and has no effect on the game.  It's a holdover.  It's pretty graphics that was kept because it's pretty and it took a lot of skill/effort and removing it was too much work (IMO), but it's just eye candy that makes no in-game sense.  It's a lost opportunity to differentiate Empires and Kingdoms.  It deserves better.

December 8, 2013 6:20:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just make more FE expansions. 

And waiting for that RPG still. 

December 8, 2013 7:01:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't say I would be particularly excited to see a WoM remake, even with new bells and whistles.  I'd much rather see E:FE:LH: etc. continue to evolve on its own trajectory.

December 8, 2013 7:41:45 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,

Can't say I would be particularly excited to see a WoM remake, even with new bells and whistles.  I'd much rather see E:FE:LH: etc. continue to evolve on its own trajectory.

Starting a pool: How many expansions will it take to fit the entire alphabet into the acronym?

December 8, 2013 8:01:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yes! Please! I liked the having kids/marrying them off aspect. Done now, with the improved AI/relations from LH, that would be awesome. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: