The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Great new Demigod interview with Bert Bingham

By on November 20, 2013 11:27:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

For all you Demigod lovers out there, there's a great interview with Bert Bingham, the Associate Producer of Demigod at Gas Powered Games.

He talks about everything from the original concept, the networking and the future of Demigod.

Check it out here:

http://www.d22-zone.co.uk/2013/11/20/interview-demigod/

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 20, 2013 8:50:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for posting this!

November 20, 2013 9:07:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and the future of Demigod.

Nice interview but this part was...underdeveloped.

November 20, 2013 11:38:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just think about the timing and where it landed, though.  League of Legends had not picked up full steam.  F2P games were still emerging.  Stand alone games were still the norm.  And with mobas, there was no clear winner imo (a few testing the waters outside of the game expansions).  DG could have been a true beast if it was designed with a F2P model in mind.  I play LoL all the time now, but seriously, you cannot compare the visuals of DG to LoL.  It's just a beautiful game.  Wish things had been better with DG all said and done, but still - the devs provided a great game.  I'd still play it today if there was better net code. 

The real future of Demigod.  The IP was purchased by another company.  I have not seen anything out there indicating that it will be further developed as of yet.  But still - you buy an IP, I'd think you might do something with it...

November 21, 2013 2:10:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was just happy having someone from GPG explaining the initial networking issues when we launched.  Over the years, a mythology has grown that Demigod was ready to take the world by storm but Stardock somehow came in and "messed up" the networking in the game.

November 21, 2013 2:43:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

That's the big downside of sharing so much information with fans of the game while GPG remained silent for the most part.  Problem with the game?  SD responds.  Still, glad to hear GPG's take on things.  Certainly some vindication there, though.  Really cool to hear from someone else that worked on the game at GPG. 

November 21, 2013 6:08:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I was just happy having someone from GPG explaining the initial networking issues when we launched.  Over the years, a mythology has grown that Demigod was ready to take the world by storm but Stardock somehow came in and "messed up" the networking in the game.

I'm guilty of propagating that myth myself until recently when someone set me straight. I suppose it did not help that since Elemental was such a mess it was easy to assume incompetence on SD's part. Although for what its worth that's not what I would say now. 

Demigod is still my favourite game even though we wait 45 minutes to get a game going. Gal Civ was one of my favourite games and so I'm looking forward to the new one, and that Sins was not so bad either. So overall as a fan turned critic turned reserved fan again I wish you the very best of fortunes with the next batch of games.

oh, and if you want to do a kickstarter to acquire the rights to Demigod and make a number 2 I'll chip in. 

November 21, 2013 6:10:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From the article: "D22: Your first point is probably my biggest takeaway from Demigod’s launch as well – how many copies did you guys sell in the end? (I own two copies having bought Demigod recently on Steam)"

Since there are only about 12 of us that are still active players anyone want to come out as our resident games journo?

November 27, 2013 4:56:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So there ARE still people playing. That's great news for me. I tried to get into Demigod a while back, but had issues with playing online with my brother. ( He was in Florida, me on the other half of the U.S. ) The connectivity was definitely annoying, but the game in and of itself... Still my favorite MOBA. I need to start it back up...

Hopefully there will be new info about the company who bought this, I'd love to see it get "rebooted" in any way, shape, or form.

December 1, 2013 4:55:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello everyone!

I'm Max, the author of the article! (I really wish you guys had commented on the article itself, would have made it so much easier to keep track of your responses!)

Quoting Ekko_Tek,

and the future of Demigod.

Nice interview but this part was...underdeveloped.

This was my fault for not editing that - there was some stuff that Bert shared with me that, for legal reasons, I had to take out.

Quoting pacov,

It's just a beautiful game.  Wish things had been better with DG all said and done, but still - the devs provided a great game.  I'd still play it today if there was better net code. 

I agree - Bert sent me some early concept art (some of it I included in the piece) - such a beautiful game!

Quoting Frogboy,

It's something that Bert was keen to set right when we spoke - there certainly wasn't any blame on his part for Stardock's involvement.

Quoting pacov,

That's the big downside of sharing so much information with fans of the game while GPG remained silent for the most part.  Problem with the game?  SD responds.  Still, glad to hear GPG's take on things.  Certainly some vindication there, though.  Really cool to hear from someone else that worked on the game at GPG. 

Was honestly a privilege to have spoken with him. I love Demigod, and while I probably don't know half as much about it as you guys do it was still fascinating to hear about it in great detail!

I'll keep a passing eye on this thread for any questions/responses you guys have - the best way to ask is in the comments section though, that comes straight to my phone. 

December 16, 2013 12:55:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All good lessons for when StarDock makes a STAR CONTROL MOBA!

December 18, 2013 3:27:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A Star Control MOBA (using ships) in the melee style would be awesome. Ranged Carry Mycon Podship and Support Yehat Terminator take bottom lane. Stellar Impact tried to do a similar theme, but it didn't work out. But make it Star Control... the Juffo Wup would be pleased.

December 18, 2013 6:24:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting moobabe55,
This was my fault for not editing that - there was some stuff that Bert shared with me that, for legal reasons, I had to take out.

Ooh - the tease!

I will make a shameless plug (in the sense that I'm in the beta and would like to see more players involved) and say that Ironclad's Sins of a Dark Age is shaping up to be one of the few MOBAs other than Demigod that I really enjoy playing. Aesthetically Sins and Demigod just appeal to me much much more than any of the others. So I'd be doubly happy if a Demigod II ever surfaced as well...

January 14, 2014 2:17:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope, that will be Demigod 2.

Because it has better graphics, and more interesting, then the other MOBA type

games. Not too many characters, but all of them are good characters.

Demigod's has more maps, not only one.

The Citadel building is a good point too.

May 25, 2014 1:09:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice interview.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: