The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Iterating further on Elemental

By on October 21, 2013 1:58:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1312

I was playing Galactic Civilizations II last night. I hadn’t played it in a very long time and was stunned by just how much…awesome it has in it.  That awesomeness didn’t come from the original design. It came from years and years of iteration and frankly, labors of love.

The problem I see with Legendary Heroes is that it’s really hard to do iteration like that.  After all, it’s technically Elemental: Fallen Enchantress – Legendary Heroes. It’s a mouth full.  No one calls GalCiv II “Twilight of the Arnor”. It’s just called GalCiv.

But Elemental got off to such a rocky start that for good or bad, we don’t really call it Elemental anymore.  If the quality and fandom that supports Legendary Heroes could somehow be applied to Elemental that would be great.  But it’s not. It’s barely applied to Fallen Enchantress.

Frankly, from a purely a branding perspective – i.e. the THING that people remember playing, we basically call it Legendary Heroes.  It’s just really hosed up.

Then you have the DLC situation.  The DLC for Legendary Heroes doesn’t just sell well. It sells insanely well. There’s a huge demand for it because the installed base of the game we call Legendary Heroes (but is really Elemental: Fallen Enchantress – Legendary Heroes) keeps growing.

I know some people don’t care about the name.  But the reality is, the single biggest thing holding LH back is the brand confusion.  I’ve seen people on various forums say that LH is probably the best fantasy 4X that is currently available (though Age of Wonders 3 is looking pretty awesome). 

So we have this great fantasy game that we have the budget to keep iterating on that is artificially held down because no one really knows what to call it.

123 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 28, 2013 1:26:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sareth01,

Hmm ya I like that take on the elemental name formula.

Elemental: Fallen _______

Good stuff!

+1

This will always come to mind with "fallen"

October 28, 2013 1:34:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But I thought we would be getting Standalone Episode

Like Fallen Enchantress: Expansion 2 :/

October 28, 2013 4:36:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elemental : Fall of the Fallen

October 28, 2013 6:35:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dadou,

But I thought we would be getting Standalone Episode

Like Fallen Enchantress: Expansion 2 :/

We're likely to stick with the Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes line for quite awhile.  The current system is a bit of a win-win.  We get paid to make new DLC and players get interesting updates.

I'm working on a pretty significant diplomacy update for v1.5 and that's been justified by the strong sales of DLC.

The consensus at Stardock is to think of Elemental as a world and that we've had, so far, TWO games in that world:

War of Magic

and

Fallen Enchantress

I don't think Fallen Enchantress will get a second big expansion pack but instead will simply get updates via free updates paid for by DLC.

There will be a third game in the Elemental world but that won't be related to Fallen Enchantress any more than Fallen Enchantress was related to War of Magic.

October 28, 2013 7:43:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
There will be a third game in the Elemental world but that won't be related to Fallen Enchantress any more than Fallen Enchantress was related to War of Magic.

Damn you Frog!

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

October 28, 2013 10:12:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Nice!

I put on E:FE:LH last night and noticed some "fixed" bits. Girlfriend wasn't as impressed/happy as I was, though.

I may have to let her go.

October 29, 2013 4:03:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elemental: Fall of the Magic War Enchantress (who fell)

October 29, 2013 6:13:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I personally don't think there is a problem with calling the next iteration Elemental: whatever.

Heck, call it "the Enchantress strikes back" if you like!

Seriously, the original Elemental fiasco is so old that of the target market, 50% will have no idea what Elemental was, 25% will own Legendary Heroes and think it's awesome anyway, and 25% will think "Elemental? Wasn't that a really bad game a few years ago? How on earth did that get a sequel?" Even in the case of the latter, they will probably be intrigued to see how it was turned around. If they read the games press they will know that the current versions get good reviews. That is surely what matters, that the current iteration gets excellent reviews and word of mouth, not what happened in the first version. I thought Shogun: Total War was a good game, I thought Rome: Total War was an excellent game. When Rome: Total War 2 came out though, I didn't care about the original Rome, I didn't care about Shogun 2, what I cared about was whether Rome 2 was any good (which currently seems to be no).

If or when you release Elemental: Netherworlds then what I'll want to know is that you've kept the good bits of Legendary Heroes and improved some of the less good bits, not what did or didn't happen a few years ago.

October 30, 2013 5:49:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, Legendary Heroes was so friggin well done, thats the only name that stays in their minds, even me. LH felt like a totally new game and it was so much better than FE, even if it was pretty much a well polished FE with extra goodies....

October 30, 2013 7:14:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why not drop it all and just call the franchise Legendary Heroes?

October 31, 2013 6:55:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Your servers are really evil and I had just spent half an hour on a post. Let's make this quick.

Best thing to do is some basic research. Content analysis on the brand name of elemental, the more modern the better. Understanding that forums tend to self select a bit and so take that analysis with a grain of salt if you do it.

From there you decide whether the brand name of elemental is worth keeping or not. As a note, the bias is towards keeping a brand name and not dumping it unless the brand name is really badly stigmatized. From what I gather, beyond people really upset at the first launch, no one really remembers the name elemental.

if the brand name is kept, all fine and good, all subsequent games in the setting come with Elemental on them, like CoD comes on all CoD games and TES comes on all TES games, regardless of the prominence of the subsequent title.

If you drop it, you'll have to come up with something else. If you had a larger studio and marketing budget you could then connect new brand to the good titles of the old brand, especially since the old brand is rather weak in those titles. As it stands, you'd just have to do the best you can with what you got and word of mouth. that said, seeing how weak elemental is in FE and LH, you'd have to do a bit of this anyways.

Bad products tend to get forgotten unless they are spectacular and noteworthy bad, which War of Magic was not (really). On the other hand good products are more persistent. So ultimately whatever you do with the brand name, put out a good title under it and then stick with that. FE and LH are too muddled, though Fallen Enchantress might be able to get pulled out if you want to use that as the brand. It honestly sounds wrong to my ears while elemental doesn't, and sometimes you have to go with gut. Legendary heroes is out as it would possibly lead to lawsuits and hero is used in about 30 different games of a roughly similar genre to your game, so yeah don't use that one.

October 31, 2013 8:12:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

From earlier in this thread:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/449294/page/1/#18

November 16, 2013 3:08:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

November 16, 2013 6:02:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

What does that mean??????????

That could mean anything from a RPG, to a reboot, to a stand-alone expansion!

December 20, 2013 5:31:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Argh! if you're goign to lose my post at least leave it on my computer!!

Elemental is a fine brand (FH only a subtitle)

Really miss the dual build queues from EWOM (dynasties also nice)

Heroes with their own mana is good too. (got dropped in EWOM can't remember FE from my brief play)

Initiative was already too important in FE imo. Logarithmic system (if 20=2x10 then 100=2x90) seems the way to go (there's a computer to do the maths).

Tell everyone all the formulae for the games mechanics.

December 20, 2013 9:45:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think you have a problem embracing "Elemental: x " as a game franchise.  X-Com has had numerous iterations and knockoffs, many of which were real turkeys.  Consumers are more likely to try a brand that they recognize, even if there were some problems with earlier releases.

As long as the quality of the franchise keeps improving, good reviews and word of mouth should keep the player base growing.  Elemental also has an advantage in that there really isn't or hasn't been much decent competition in the Master of Magic 4x category.  The ones I have tried that sounded promising are either super buggy (Eador) or completely unbalanced.

In my mind, the releases have been;

Elemental: WoM
Elemental: FE
Elemental: LH

You are correct in that the branding needs to be tightened up, and as a few others have said, I think you just need to embrace "Elemental" the franchise and leave WoM in the past. 

December 20, 2013 2:34:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Re-brand it "War of Magic" and drop elemental.  No one calls the first game Elemental-War of Magic, most say EWOM.  So just call the entire thing War of Magic (WOM).  When you make your new game call it WOM II.  Hey if BP can do it so can this game.   Or, realistically leave the series name totally behind and if the new game is similar just call it something totally different, the fans will know but new people will have no clue, solved.   Hudson Soft did it with the Military madness series,  it started as Nectaris and then went to Military Madness... it was the same game, and people remeber military madness over the Nectaris title. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectaris_series

January 1, 2014 8:43:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Next expansion or major down loadable content:

Elemental: Legendary Heroes: (Ascension, or some other sub-subtitle)

(Have "Elemental" included in all artwork, advertisements, etcetera.)

Sequel:

Elemental 3: (Subtitle)

February 7, 2014 12:13:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Social networking is really really important now, maybe even more than the actual name.  (DOTA anyone?!)   You've got to post on YouTube and Twitter these days, and there isn't much out there for Elemental... 

February 12, 2014 3:37:22 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Oh yeah, DOTA is very social... Much networking. So polite.

May 9, 2014 2:12:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm going to go off on a rant again...

(rant on)

The thing that continues to bother me r.e. Elemental is that it is becoming more like the other 4x games out there, as the things that make it unique and interesting are removed, one by one.  Examples:

The GalCiv series (up to GC2:TOA) allowed planets to build ships and infrastructure at the same time.  Most other 4x space games do not do this.  This makes GalCiv unique, and ALSO allows the AI to be more robust.  If the AI doesn't have to 'decide' between guns and butter, then the AI coders can focus more on other, more important things (tech trees, which buildings to build, combat strategy, diplomacy, etc.), and if the AI gets that decision 'wrong' (guns vs butter), well that's an area that players can exploit.  By removing that decision step, the AI benefits as a whole. Plus, it just makes sense that something as large as a PLANET can do two things at once.  Same for cities.  I may pass on GalCiv III for this very reason (it appears that 'one thing at a time' is the new mantra).

Simplification of unit design.  While Derek may not understand exactly what encumberance brought to the table r.e. giving players tough design decisions, this is one thing that a few others recently brouht up in the 'things I like least about E:LH'.  Intricate nuanced decisions in unit design are things that a lot of the more seasoned 4x players like.  Oversimplification I expect from other franchises, but with the bar that GalCiv2 set, I expect more nuanced decisions in Elemental.

A good example of this is the 'focus sliders'.  GC2 allows you to concentrate on research, buildings, or military, via the 'domestic' interface, as well as 1%  increments for overall production (ties into happiness).  Elemental missed the boat on this, and although it does have tax and 'production' increments, these are not as 'fine tuned' as they were in GC2.  Focus sliders are a great way to simulate a planet or city's 'focus' on one aspect over another, and I'd LOVE to see them in Elemental.  I.E. all cities produce research, infrastructure production, and military units simultaneously, but the RATIO of resources allocated to each is tweakable.  You can still 'zero out' military in favor of infrastructure, etc., but with sliders the 'diminishing returns' concept of such focusing can be handled under the dashboard/in the background.

The latest trend seems to be going to hexes, 'cuz they are the latest cool thing' (that many of us older gamers were gaming on decades ago btw).  Hexes have NO PLACE in Elemental, especially in city design.  When is the last time you saw a city laid out in a hexagonal pattern?  Cities have blocks for a reason!

Also, city design in Elemental continues to be simplified.  Call me a crazy micromanager, but I LIKED having to build housing for my population.  One more thing to worry about.  Not much to worry about these days in city design...

I don't mind squares on the strategic map either.  There are other ways to handle 'kitty corner' diagonal movement than hex grids, if you feel that is something that is being abused, via move costs and such.

Recently, Brad posted to the effect that 'powerful magic is hard to balance for in a 4x game'.  I guess I see this differently.  If powerful spellcasters can obliterate a number of units at a single stroke, that is fine, as long as the other side can do the same.  Sure, this shifts the focus to spell users, but I don't see that as a bad thing.  HOW you balance that is by restricting how much mana a spellcaster has at his disposal for such things.  Individual mana pools (properly balanced) do this nicely.  Sure you can cast that mega fireball that affects 25 squares in tactical combat, but if it costs ALL of your mana, and said mana pool takes tens of turns to replenish, well you won't be able to do that that each battle, especially if you are in the middle of a multi-turn war.

The thing about global mana is that it overly simplifies spellcasting, and makes the most powerful spells that much easier to cast, and decreases the intervals between said castings.  Hence why I've opposed global mana from day one.  It seems 'lazy' to me, and shifts the focus away from Sovs/individual powerful champions in the process.

On that note, powerful spellcasters that are limited in number work best when 'regular' units and such can be produced in larger numbers.  I.E. more 'cannon fodder' for the fireball spells.  Players will need to become 'less attached' to individual units in this environment, but if they can produce 10 'royal guard archer units' instead of say just 2, well then they can see those units perform on a larger scale/in a more epic environment.  This also applies to cities.  Summoning a volcano in the middle of an empire with only 3 cities will be devastating.  If that empire has 10 cities, well it won't be as crippling (9 other cities to fall back on).  As long as said volcano can only be invoked once over a larger span of turns (i.e. only your most powerful spellcasters can do it, and it eats up most/all of his mana in the process, hence you have to wait tens or even hundreds of turns between volcano spells), this can be balanced for.

Apparently multiple cities annoy some people.  They never annoyed me.  More cities equals more units being produced, hence larger armies, hence more involved multi-front wars.  It'd be nice if a toggle was in place so that players could choose between a 'few cities' and 'many cities' environment in the game setup, so that both types of players could have thier cake and eat it too.  Warlords does exactly that (you have a slider that picks the number of cities on a random map).  In Elemental, this can be handled easily via the 'minimum distance between cities' mechanic.  More cities?  Cities can be closer together.  Less cities?  Cities have to be further apart.

Yeah, and on that 'toggles' thing.  Several of us have suggested multiple times to allow finer customization in Elemental.  Do you prefer Global or Individual Mana pools?  We shoud have a toggle for that.  Encumberance?  Another great place for a toggle.  Simlified or more involved city design? Another toggle.

More individual customization allows players to tailor their own gaming experience to their own tastes.  Some prefer more roleplaying aspects versus straight up empire management, and toggles are a great way to allow both types of players to 'have their way'.

I've already beaten Dynasties and Ships to death.  It'd be nice to have them back, and done properly, 'nuff said.

One other note.  While I will admit that having '12 individual' units is something that I initially didn't like seeing removed, upon careful consideration, I think that unit groupings as a whole is oversimplified, and is part of the 'problem' of balance issues in Elemental.  This is something that can be addressed in the next iteration, but to explain this in a nutshell, individuals in a unit should be handled as independent entities, not lumped into one combat value. 

Anyone that has done miniature gaming can appreciate other ways of handling this.  The most 'simple' way it is handled is giving a number of 'attack dice' equal to the number of individuals in the unit, with the total number of 'hits' scored after rolling that bunch of dice determining casualties.  In this environment, most units only have one hit.  Also, units with multiple ranks may only get attack dice for the 'first rank' of units, with perhaps the second rank getting a reduced strength attack die in the case of spears and such.

Elemental combat could do something along these lines.  I.E. each individual in a unit will attack the unit directly in front of him, with combat handled individually between those combatants, instead of lumping together total damage and total hit points to determine who lives or dies. This would mean that you'd have individuals in units with varying amounts of damage, instead of one damaged individual (the next guy on the 'kill me next list') while his buddies are all undamaged.  GalCiv II actually does this, where individual ships have their own combat damage, but of course in that game ships aren't 'lumped together' into units, only stacks.

To view this, essentially clicking on a unit would bring up a 'unit roster' menu, showing each individual in the unit and their current state.  Healing spells would be targetted at individuals, not units (i.e. casting a healing spell on a unit heals the damage of one individual in the unit, with 'mass healing' affecting more individuals).

Between rounds, units with multiple ranks could 'cycle out' the damaged individuals into the second ranks, with fresh individuals taking their place in the front ranks as the opportunity presents itself (of course, doing so while engaged is a little more difficult, as 'opening' your ranks to swap out individuals could end up splitting your unit).

Also, along these lines, units with more than say 2 individuals (i.e. stacked 2 or more deep) would only have individuals in the front ranks doing melee attacks in any given round, with perhaps a mechanic for 2nd rank attackers getting attacks in, particularly in the case of spears.  Units could have a 'formation chooser', i.e. box, line abreast, etc., which determines whom is available to fight against an adjacent unit.  Between combat rounds, units would automatically 'fill' their front ranks to replace casualties.

I'd also limit the number of individuals in any given square, with more individuals 'flanking' into adjacent squares based on the size of the unit. In THIS environment, unit sizes of 12 make more sense, as you won't simply be multiplying damage by 12...  This also allows for larger sized individuals occupying multiple squares (Giants occupy 4 'mini' squares, Dragons 12 or more 'mini' squares, etc.), hence 'exposing' the flanks of the larger units to a larger number of smaller individuals.  In this instance, 4 'mini' squares composes a regular square, and units of 4 individuals or less normally occupying one square, 5-8 in 2 adjacent squares, and 9-12 in 3 adjacent squares  Unless 'line abreast', in which case they all spread out in a single row of 'mini squares' equal to the size of the unit.  Of course, line abreast will often have the 'downside' of the 'flank units' not being in contact with an opposing foe, if the foe is using a tighter formation.

Really, I'd LOVE to see the Elemental tactical model tackled in earnest.  While the above concepts SOUND like they would overcomplicate things, if done right the amount of 'workload' for the player really won't be that much more.  I.E. 'click on a unit, pick a formation on turn one, unit stays in that formation until you decide to change it.  Otherwise, move towards opposing units as normal, click to attack, and the game 'handles' whom is attacking whom in the opposing unit in the background).  Sure, this would require more work on the coding end by the Stardock guys, but in the end I think it would really make the next iteration of Elemental shine.  The groundwork is 75% there already, no sense tossing out the baby with the bathwater, when in reality it is so close...

And, of course, LOS, range modifiers for bows, more involved terrain effects, etc. should be added too.  A Combat DLC or full expansion could handle most/all of this!

I bring this up because I've read murmorings of removing tactical combat from the next Elemental iteration.  That'd be a shame, because I do enjoy tactical battles a lot (being a 'former' miniature wargamer type), and I see SO much potential here!

I've been on the record multiple times about how I feel that Elemental keeps 'retreating' from good concepts.  I honestly do feel that a number of good ideas have been left untapped, tossed, or dumbed down, and I expect better of the Stardock guys.  To be honest, I think they don't have enough faith in their original ideas to spend the time necessary to make them shine, hence the 'retreat after retreat'.  It's not that the concept sucked, it is just that the execution wasn't fully fleshed out in some cases. 

So I'd simply ask that they take their time on the next iteration of Elemental, and just keep feeding us cool DLC content in the meantime.  Some of these concepts could be implemented in the current version, and are great expansion/DLC material.  Elemental is 75% of the way there for me, if it wasn't I wouldn't still be interested in this game.  The rest of a lot of what I'd like to see can be added on to the current game without requiring a full redesign, and I think that Brad and the team can profit handsomely from such an approach.

(rant off)

Now back to your regularly scheduled saga, As The Shard Turns...

October 23, 2014 11:43:01 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Elemental or bust please. Whenever I think of SD's 4X fantasy series that's the name that springs to mind. Not War of Magic or Fallen Enchantress or Legendary Heroes. 

Don't worry about the bumpy start with WoM. Years of support to the fantasy 4X series has burnished the brand Elemental into one of the modern gold standards for fantasy 4X gameplay.

Go forth and Elemental-ply, FrogBoy & Co! 

October 23, 2014 11:46:18 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

I think that title is uncomfortably close to Heroes of Might and Magic. I think SD should do everything they can to differentiate as much as possible between their 4X fantasy series and HoMM. 

Besides, the Elemental shards have been central to this 4X series gameplay throughout, it makes sense both from a branding and game design perspective to continue to brand the series under the Elemental title. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001140   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.