Stardock Future Gaming (from 2013 perspective) [UPDATE 4]

By on September 26, 2013 7:32:28 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1496

In the good old days of gaming, the game studios weren’t public and so they could give little sneak peeks and teasers of things they’re working on. 

Unfortunately, the number of indie studios is dwindled and so there’s very little spontaneity in what companies share (which the Xbox One unveil showed us can be quite a bummer).

Below is just some artwork from a few of the things that are in development.

Vayne_Export

NEW 7/11/2013

ADDED 8/9/2013

ADDED 9/7/2013

September 19 Update!

Locked Post 136 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 4, 2013 8:24:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sinperium,

One of those images has a mouseover title attached to it still.  I notice the others have been generically sanitized.

I won't spoil it further but, "Hehehe".

Vayne? I don't get the reference...

Edit: Wait, Vayne Helsing?

June 4, 2013 8:55:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

Quoting Sinperium, reply 50
One of those images has a mouseover title attached to it still.  I notice the others have been generically sanitized.

I won't spoil it further but, "Hehehe".

Vayne? I don't get the reference...

Edit: Wait, Vayne Helsing?

Vayne's World, Party Time!, Excellent!

June 4, 2013 9:03:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I see the one with the Vayne name too, but it doesnt ring any bells for me.

June 4, 2013 9:43:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

then there is the BAD one, which hints to me than it perhaps might be somehow be connected with or inspired by DK.

harpo

June 5, 2013 8:18:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can you give us two broad based hints?

Are these games multiplayer?

Are they RTS?

As a TBS loner, I'm hoping the answewr is "No" to both questions...

June 6, 2013 6:39:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv must forever be TBS. Hopefully they still have same system for battles as well. GalCiv3 have the potential to be one of my top 3 multiplayer games as well, togther With EU3/4 and Civ5.

June 6, 2013 3:28:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wouldn't mind some more detail in battles in a GalCiv 3, but I don't want actual control during fights outside of setting targets.

June 6, 2013 3:57:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am certain that GC3 will have tactical combat and I think it needs too.

June 6, 2013 5:43:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ashbery76,

I am certain that GC3 will have tactical combat and I think it needs too.

The problem is that, historically, the strategic and tactical levels both contribute to the same binary state: You either win the battle or you lose it. If you can get +1000% to your empire's build rate then it doesn't really matter how inept you are at ordering your units around, and if you can maneuver around any obstacle then it doesn't really matter how badly you're outnumbered. It's doesn't result in an added dimension to the gameplay; it's more like having two volume knobs for the same pair of speakers. Just another slider to keep track of.

If GC3 really wants to do tactical battles, then I think it's time to do away with this binary win/lose state and explore some other possibilities. Here's an easy first step: The strategic situation will usually determine the outcome of a battle, but the tactical outcome can determine some secondary outcome. Maybe if the defender can remain at 50% of the attacking fleet's size by the end of the battle, it will give -50% to the attacker's movement points next turn. Or maybe if all attacking ships get damaged past 30% they have to immediately return to the nearest planet to repair. Maybe you can soften up a planet's defenses with a kamikaze attack on the defending fleet, when you would otherwise have no hope of victory. This is a dimension that, as far as I know, has gone completely unexplored in tactical/strategy hybrids so far.

June 6, 2013 8:07:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Eilarais,
It's doesn't result in an added dimension to the gameplay; it's more like having two volume knobs for the same pair of speakers. Just another slider to keep track of.

The Total War series says otherwise, but that's another matter...

The greater issue with tactical battles honestly is the AI...historically, it has always been an AI weak point and tackling that would be a huge deal for a small company....

The card system of Endless Space wouldn't be a bad alternative...it's quick, it can be easily taught to the AI, and it can be implemented easily....the upcoming expansion for ES looks promising in that these battles will provide the player with lots of strategic options and will have varied outcomes beyond just win/lose....

June 7, 2013 8:44:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TW-series is a good example. Tactical combat might add something but it comes at an expense, and the expense is less importance on macro-strategy. Compare Total War with Europa Universalis and there is no doubt that the one without tactical battles (EU) is the one with the most strategical depth.

I don't want GalCiv to be about exploiting the AI in tactical battles. I want it to be a great strategy game with lot's of emphasis on the macro level. We have tons of tactical combat space games allready, and none of them apeal to me the way GalCiv2 does. In war the focus should be unit design, technology, production capacity, positioning, defences, logistics, fleet composition, strategical planning in general etc, not who can click fastest in combat or who has built that single unit (horses in Fallen Enchantress anyone?) that always crush everything easely if controlled by a human in tactical battles.

Hopefully GalCiv will stay true to it's core concepts.

Another great thing is that the way GalCiv2 combat works will be perfect for multiplayer games.

June 7, 2013 8:01:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,

There are at least 4 games represented there. 

Hmm, at least 4, so there could be more than 4. *puts on detective hat*

## Game 1 ## No worthwhile guess

## Game 2 ## Cthulhu/lovecraft/horror game

## Game 3 ## Possibly Gal Civ 3

## Game 4 ## Societies

## Game 5 ## No guess, could be Gal Civ 3 related

June 8, 2013 5:03:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

The Total War series says otherwise, but that's another matter...

Hmm, intriguing. I've actually never played Total War, so let's fix that right now..

June 13, 2013 5:51:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I may no longer care enough to discuss things with y'all since I disagree with 90% of it and it's not worth my time/energy, but I'm still watchin for future games that interest me.  Thanks for the freebies and see ya within a few years I'm sure.

(Though I am moving most of my gaming to the X1, I'll still have the 920.)

June 28, 2013 12:32:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I see a lot of space related pics in there~!

Even if it is not GalCiv 3 or Sins 2, I am always up for space games, they are so scarce. D: (Kind of wish we could get a 'genre fever' of them once the FPS one dies out )

June 28, 2013 12:44:10 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

GalCiv 3 I hope would have nothing hard coded, and thus all modifiable.

July 7, 2013 11:46:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can you please just announce Galactic Civilizations 3 now?

Endless Space, even with its new expansion, has a great UI, but lacks any personality whatsoever. 

Stardrive has plenty of personality, but its UI blows goats and it seems as if its sole developer has taken a hiatus. 

Horizon rips directly from MOO, only it doesn't do it better and lacks features that MOO had. 

The only game that has any quality to it, Distant Worlds, is too automated and too complicated for me. Plus, it's a little too easy. 

Bottom line: we need GalCiv 3 to fix the state of things. The only game other than the MOO's to get me going were the GalCiv's. So, let's just make it official and invite me to the beta, okay?

July 8, 2013 7:32:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv3 with tactical combat and FE style ground combat 

July 9, 2013 12:19:08 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It's good to see that Demigod II is in development. Thanks you.

July 11, 2013 1:06:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LORD-ORION,

It's good to see that Demigod II is in development. Thanks you.

We've been waiting on the the screenshots for dg2 - Thanks froggy!

July 11, 2013 1:26:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Then 5th picture the one of the demon is hyborem from ffh.

The 9th picture of the evil woman with a chalise is also from ffh. My guess is she is Alexis the vampire faction calabim female leader..

July 11, 2013 12:18:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated.

July 11, 2013 12:25:23 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I don't know how you are going to work all those spaceships into Demigod 2, but I am impressed.  I'm guessing if you win a match, a spaceship picks you up.  But the enemy team somehow still has a chance to shoot you down in certain circumstances.  Oh to be a fly on the wall during those design discussions. 

Really digging a lot of the artwork - any chance you are ok with disclosing who did the art for the smiling joker/jester fellow?  Really like the style.

July 11, 2013 12:56:30 PM from Brad Wardell's Little Tiny Frogs Brad Wardell's Little Tiny Frogs

Quoting pacov,

I don't know how you are going to work all those spaceships into Demigod 2, but I am impressed.  I'm guessing if you win a match, a spaceship picks you up.  But the enemy team somehow still has a chance to shoot you down in certain circumstances.  Oh to be a fly on the wall during those design discussions. 

Really digging a lot of the artwork - any chance you are ok with disclosing who did the art for the smiling joker/jester fellow?  Really like the style.

Heh. Well, Demigod is owned now by Wargamer.net. So it's future is in its hands.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.