The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Its that time again for Upgrades

By on March 2, 2013 6:22:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hawawaa

Join Date 09/2006
+30

Well my 12gbs ram has to go. Animation hungers for moar! 2 of these suckers brings me to 32gbs- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231628 

Ops I took the last ones. 

Modular power supply and this sucker will most likely last well into my next pc which should be in 4 years and my wiring job will be better...   [e digicons]'[/e]

I hope so- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139043

I will be selling my old GTX 580 to a classmate for $200+ and I will be getting a nice GTX 680 which is less thirsty for power and runs a little cooler than my current card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125422

And 2 little fans.

Also thanks for last time helping me out with getting parts and what not. I'm loving my little Cool Master Centurion 5. 

Can't wait to get it all next week.  

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 2, 2013 6:35:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thu GPU requirements only talk about a minimum PSU requirement...not it's actual consumption....but I would have gone for something bigger than a 750 watt.  Just as you've wanted more 'headroom' with 32gig of ram...so should you factor in the headroom for that which powers the machine...

March 2, 2013 9:21:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
I would have gone for something bigger than a 750 watt.

Yes, same here.  I got a Silverstone 1200w 80PLUS Gold for not a lot more than the $209 Newegg is asking for that 750w... $253.00 AUD to be precise.  Dunno about the US price, but considering the power that GTX680, your CPU and RAM alone would draw, not to mention HDD's and other peripherals, it would be worth investing in something higher rated to avoid potential component damage from underpowering.

March 2, 2013 9:49:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just to add... I built this thing 3.5 years ago....at the time it had a XFX GTX285 which sucked a fair bit of juice...

Now it's running a ASUS GTX590 which sucks a 'tad' more..... but it was not going to be an issue [for me] as I'd opted for an Antec  TruePower Quattro of 1000w.

Since then I also went from 6g to 12g ram....soon to be 24g [max for the mobo] and drives have increased in both number and capacity.

All things being equal this box should kep me happy for anothr 3 years at least...

OK, so 3.5 years of almost continuous use and the CPU cooler fan died...but since replaced with a better quality ver ...

March 2, 2013 10:54:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Price comes from modular power supply and platinum rating for energy efficientcy.

March 3, 2013 3:35:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,
Price comes from modular power supply and platinum rating for energy efficientcy.

Yeah, the Silverstone 1200w is modular and has a gold efficiency rating... runs AMD FX8350 x8; 32gb Corsair RAM; GTX560OC; Corsair SSD SATA3 x2; WD 2Tb x2; WD 1Tb x1; Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro; 5 x 22mm case fans and 1 20mm case fan and never misses a beat.

March 3, 2013 7:37:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Another thing to consider with PSU's is that they degrade over time, reducing the available wattage. If you plan on using it for several years, it is best to "overbuy" and get one with more output than you think you will need.

I've had to replace both fans on my Centurion 5 after 3 years of almost constant running and sucking up cat hair. Other than that, I am more than happy with it.

March 9, 2013 3:59:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I actually had plenty of head room before the upgrade. So no worries there and I'm still with 1 graphics card. I won't be getting a new pc for 5-6 years. (maybe a 2TB SSD upgrade when they are cheap)

I have everything in except the ram (it left Texas 2 days ago?). The only problem with the powersupply is the Corsairlink 2 program that comes with it crashes. I can run it in xp comparability mode which i can see my temps and cpu usage. But the second I click something else say my power tab to get my actual reading it crashes out. I hear they are slow to patch and it also looks like I missed a nasty storm of previous problems with drivers.   Hopefully this is solved soon.

Oh I almost forgot, omg I love modular PS. It cuts down on wires and was so easy to hook stuff in.   Its no longer a mess. 

I also have a cat, but I am usually good at cleaning my pc out every 2 months.

March 9, 2013 8:11:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All so a way to look at a  PSU get one that puts out more than you need and it puts less stress on it. That means less heat. That means it last longer. That means you save money in the long run. That means a happy happy builder . All kidding aside you should all ways get a PSU that has the capacity to put out more than you need.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: