The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kickstarter: LIMIT THEORY

By on November 25, 2012 11:34:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+210

I don't have time to play a lot of different games but I saw this one and thought I would mention it as it might have some appeal here.

Kickstarter

Author's Site

This is a procedurally produced universe space sim with missions, planetary interactions, research and npcs.  The current work will be a single player game though down the road he hopes to have networking for MP.

His Kickstarter goal is $50k and he has already raised $47k of it.  You can get a DRM free digital game copy on release starting at a $15 donation.

This game particularly looks like it might appeal to Sins and Galactic Civilizations players.

What's impressive about it is it is using a custom engine to handle the physics of ship flight, planets, etc. as well as handle universe generation ..and it's all been devised and coded by the project creator in under three months with no one working on it but himself.

Sins and GalCiv players will definitely at least want to look over this project and I hope some of you might help the guy get where he's going--looks really worthwhile.

In brief, Limit Theory is:

• An open-world space simulator / RPG
  • A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
  • Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
  • Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
  • Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
  • Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
  • Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
  • Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
  • Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
  • Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
  • Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
  • Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.
122 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 25, 2012 11:42:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm, I thought this was a thread about an article claiming that kickstarter had already worn itself out. I'm pleasantly surprised.

November 26, 2012 12:12:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi there!

I will say that--potentially--Kickstarter could be the savior of game diversity.

It would be great if they would incorporate some sort of "partner matching" service there where someone could post what services they feel they can provide and what sort of terms they would like to work under and project starters could parse through them to look for developers.

You could barter services with other developers and the like and a lot of great start ups could conceivably happen--especially if they had feedback on their work and services, etc.

They guy on this project is young but seems skilled, focused and sincere and already has the majority of what he needs to go.  Love the idea he has for the basic game.

I also just spotted this--he must be doing something right:

...and I LOVE the great attitude on Chris's part.

November 26, 2012 12:48:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've been keeping an eye on this as the creator of 'Limit Theory' has been active over at the Infinity: Quest for Earth forums quite a bit (another freelancer/elite-ish game that is based on procedural generation. They're going to be starting a kickstarter of their own around February).

Not sure if I'm entirely interested in a single player style game as I currently have X3: Terran Conflict I'm still running through. Though it looks like it WILL get funded which is very exciting. Especially since Chris has given him an endorsement, that's awesome.

November 26, 2012 2:13:03 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Sounds amazing.  Too good to be true.  So it probably is.   Hope I'm wrong on that.  Also, posting here now puts this on my replies so I won't lose it.

November 26, 2012 8:41:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Glad you found it--needed a bump.  The guy has already hit his goals.  

November 26, 2012 9:25:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hehe

I backed LT on day one

November 26, 2012 10:05:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You were ahead of your time.  I love the Sui-Generis game too but I can't support or play all these games.

November 27, 2012 6:54:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

His game engine alone could be worth millions. Can you imagine fleets from the Sins universe fighting in that gorgeous glorious detail...Awesome.... 

November 27, 2012 9:57:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep--he is onto something.

I'd also say the physics in the Sui Generis game are beathtakingly exciting.  It's not my genre but I'd consider playing it for that along--also a one-man conceived and coded engine.

November 28, 2012 2:21:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have no clue why you people think this engine is better then Star Citizen one, actually by the Star Citizen trailers that one looks way better. 

November 28, 2012 1:00:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
I have no clue why you people think this engine is better then Star Citizen one, actually by the Star Citizen trailers that one looks way better. 

November 28, 2012 5:02:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,

Didn't say it was better or not, what I said was his engine could be worth millions, mind you it's just him, no team, no publisher  just him. Chris Roberts has a whole team and over a dozen years producing games and films. It's astonishing that a young guy such as himself created this, mind you if he had a team behind him, he could be the next Chris Roberts...

December 1, 2012 11:54:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This guy has done something inexpensively and originally that has broader applications than just his actual game.  Licensing is good money.

February 26, 2013 4:50:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sup everyone, it's been awhile since we heard anything about Limit Theory. Again to bring you up to speed, Josh Parnell is the programmer/creator of this game which successfully met and exceeded his Kickstarter goal. Whether or not will he license his engine is not known but imagine a game Like Sins being created using his engine.

Anyway, check out his progress he has done so far and just imagine this is the Sins universe. Enjoy...

February 26, 2013 9:41:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks amazing!

February 26, 2013 10:59:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will say that--potentially--Kickstarter could be the savior of game diversity.

I pre-ordered an Ouya console that was successfully funded via Kickstarter.  The Ouya has already
confirmed that it will be carried by big box retailers.  With a purchase price of $100 is very appealing
to people on a budget, unlike the new XBOX/PS4 costing in excess of $400+.

Also attractive to independent studios/persons as there's no up front Dev costs like the other consoles
have.  In their recent build a game in 10-days competition there were quite a few games that either looked
really sharp or actually innovated.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/29/3927864/ouya-game-jam-results-in-166-prototypes-over-10-day-period

Link to the finalists
http://killscreendaily.com/create/index.php

February 28, 2013 9:34:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alright guys, this is update #2 for February. In this vid, Josh shows off new effects including Missiles and their trail effects, omg, when he gets a Comp graphic artist and a UI guy in there, it's gonna be awesome. Enjoy...

February 28, 2013 10:43:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

His shaders are beautiful...

His effects might not be massively complex, but they really fit quite well.

If I could, I'd teach him about different kinds of explosions... sigh... Particle effects are such an obscure art.

March 1, 2013 1:58:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting CPPFZKrdaxDrkrun,
If I could, I'd teach him about different kinds of explosions... sigh... Particle effects are such an obscure art.

In the immortal words from the Picard, "Make It So." Follow @proceduralguy Follow @LimitTheory  Limit Theory Forums  

March 2, 2013 9:48:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I backed him on Kickstarter too. I've got big hopes for his game and his future. 

March 2, 2013 11:21:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Looks very promising and I will be following this game closely. However, when it comes to space combat and trade sims, I've heard all of this before. It seems like a very, very difficult genre to design with depth, freedom, and granularity, while also providing intuitiveness and accessibility. I've played things like the X series, and all the Elite and Freelancer clones. I've even played Battlecruiser, one of the most opaque, insane learning curve games ever made for my money.

One thing they all have in common is that they get bogged down in options and almost provide players with too much freedom for their own good. In my opinion good game design has rules and limits, but lets the player feel completely empowered and free within those limits and rules, while allowing the player to exercise that freedom and power through an intuitive, elegant interface. That's something almost no game in this particular genre has quite gotten right in my opinion.

Dark Star One got the elegant interface right, but because of its simplicity, it became extremely repetitive and ultimately boring. It's a baffling line to walk that I haven't seen anyone get right yet. But I think this gentleman seems to have the right philosophy and intent to achieve it with enough time and support. So, cautiously optimistic.

April 1, 2013 1:33:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alright gang, it's that time again. Josh in his 3rd update video for March, (he releases video once a month).

He's actually playing the game, albeit very early. Anyway, watch for yourself and as usual, chime in on what you think...

April 1, 2013 3:24:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We should buy out stardock, and then give Josh the rights to sins

April 1, 2013 11:44:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't understand what's so good or cool about it. Good graphics where his ship slowly moves through space.

Have he done everything himself?   The gameengine, the graphicsengine, the physics?    He hasn't used a free engine of some sort or gotten permission from Nvidia about using PhysX?

April 1, 2013 4:19:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

He's a one man band, created the engine himself in his dorm room at night.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.