The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Meeting trolls in real life

They're pathetic

By on September 28, 2012 11:44:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Great article by someone who got seriously harassed by a so-called Internet troll.

http://www.traynorseye.com/2012/09/meeting-troll.html?m=1

I've had to deal with a lot of crap over the years due to idiots on the net. The most recent due to gullible people buying into things they read on the net without critical thinking. Every comments section is filled these losers who regurgitate crap they read somewhere with no inkling of the reality of the topic. People like that do that not just because they're idiots (and they are) but also because they're pathetic. They think of people in the abstract as if we are just characters in some meta game.

You can't reason with them. I've made that mistake in the past, even recently. The best thing to do is ignore them (or alternatively, ridicule them). But in real life, every one I've met in person was driven not by envy but out of a total lack of sense. They're just sad creatures. But I don't pity them. They choose to be malicious. 

i liked how the author dealt with the situation. every time I see some commenter on some site regurgitate some hateful thing about me or my friends I picture some snotty kid like in the article. 

Locked Post 33 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 5, 2012 1:28:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Watch it dudes or I'll stop taking the meds...

October 5, 2012 3:45:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And you'll give 'em to me?  I like blue ones, green ones, red ones... any colour at all if'n they make me feel good.

October 21, 2012 9:50:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My Opinion is people who constantly criticize are incapable of critically thinking but believe they are experts.  If you're incapable of backing up your criticism with concrete evidence that supports your viewpoint then you have no business critiquing anyone.  Twitter is a classic example of a place where you find trolls or people who criticize out of jealousy.  If you attack Serena Williams on Twitter about the clothes she wears or the restaurants she frequents it's nothing more than jealousy and an outlet to make yourself feel bigger.  If I attack people who skin and I don't do it myself it's because I'm jealous of someone elses ability.  And that's no way to lead ones life.  I appreciate others efforts even more so if it's something I can't or won't do myself.  We should lead our lives in appreciation of what others accomplish.  Not to diminish them but support them in accomplishing even bigger and better things down the road.  I love watching people start skinning here and their development.  I think it's quite cool when they do things even they didn't think was possible.

My Response to people who constantly attack others is one of sorrow and pity.  Nothing I can say or do,no facts or evidence is ever going to change that persons core.  It's a waste of my time and only opens myself up for their attacks.  So I leave them alone unless they are unduly rude and it's over the line...uncalled for.

October 21, 2012 10:11:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,
And you'll give 'em to me?  I like blue ones, green ones, red ones... any colour at all if'n they make me feel good.

"Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

October 22, 2012 12:14:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

Quoting starkers, reply 27And you'll give 'em to me?  I like blue ones, green ones, red ones... any colour at all if'n they make me feel good.

"Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

Yeah, and doctor shopping [visiting several per day] to see how many free samples you can get really helps with that endeavour.

December 11, 2012 2:00:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

somebody made a guide, an underground book like the anarchist cookbook, about Demagogy.

This person, lets call him "Trollface".  What he does, is carefully plan an abstract argument with as many logical and rhetorical fallacies possible. There are some mandates:

Red Herring

(Oh, education? In order to fix education, we need to create jobs, which NAFTA will achieve)

Straw Man

(Oh, so you believe in climate change. I suppose your a liberal al gore supporter.)

False Vision

(But i saw it!  Of course i can't prove i saw it, but i did!)

Ad Hominem

(The water/ideas from this persons well/mind is poisoned; and so is unfit to drink/listen)

Then, they felt guilty and attended  church when they noticed...

Emotional Appeal

(The guy who raped my wife 8 years ago voted for Obama in this election.) (This is often used to either incite rage against bad liberals, or to make an issue undiscussable.  I know someone in RL who falsely claims this every time someone mentions obamacare outside the context of "its evil")

Circular Reasoning

(My proof? My word. The reason to trust my word? I wouldn't lie. How do you know?  I gave my word.)

Slippery Slope

(Legalization of alcohol will destroy our nation and turn everyone into worthless drunks with herpaids!)

False Accountant

(I was at an event last week when Barrack Obama admitted being a muslim; and is hiding Osama, his cousin, in the white house! --Hey, i was also there bro, Did you see me with the red shirt?  --Yeah, i was the one with the blonde chick!) 

False Accountant is my own "invented" term, meaning:

A fallacy in which one person assumes 2 identities. The first identity makes an outrageous claim. Then, the second person enters, the "False Accountant" who pretends "Ahh, i saw this too!"  This creates the illusion that multiple people support this line of thinking.

Midas Tongue

A fallacy in which a person assumes the identity of a despised figure (adolph hitler/ku klux klan) then pretends to support the idea that the real person behind the identity actually opposes.  This is often used up front to invoke godwin's law later.

You could also say "the touch of golden shit" that "people who touch this issue are full of shit".  You can see this type of fallacy used by the religious right to deny climate change and evolution.

Now that trollface has learned how to "Write in fallacies", he does the unthinkable and clones himself!  He is no longer a person, but an archetype in the collective unconsciousness, latent within us all. (Jungian, not Freudian)

The only way to stop this madness is to call out every single fallacy you see, and no matter how petty it makes you look, you are doing the world a service. Reporting fallacies is not actually making a claim or saying anything, and it can make one look like a douchebag.

However, once a fallacy has been inserted, the issue is no longer about refuting the fallacy to the person making the claims - (often the person writes in a way to NOT make claims but rather to oppose claims, ala the skeptic on every issue) - the issue is now about making sure other readers are aware of:

What fallacy was used; why it is a fallacy. What makes it a fallacy.

Then, the acts of the mind:

remind the readers that you must first define operational terms - second is to support your argument with logic, using these terms. Third is to demonstrate or rationalize relevance; that your operational term, and materials are relevant to the issue.

I believe that with the right critical thinking being emphasized that trolls will become ignored. You can not prevent their behavior, but you can attempt to impact how the behavior is received by an audience.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time: