The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

CHRIS ROBERTS--STAR CITIZEN UPDATES & INFO

Yes, awesome does exist.

By on September 19, 2012 3:15:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

Chris Roberts--the primary creator of Games such as Privater, Wing Commander and Freelancer is back in action!.

FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The link is here (and "42" is what will get you in if you get stuck).  Go enroll and let this guy know you are interested--this is the original scfi game maker who broke all the rules and did the things no one else would.

I would pay for this game in advance without even knowing what it was.

I believe the link gives you the chance to be an alpha-beta tester for the game during the next two years.  I'd highly recommend it.

I also think it would be fantastic if Stardock and Ironclad sent him a note of support (I'm just sayin'...) 

474 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2012 10:18:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pre-ordering the game at full price. I've been waiting for a good space sim like this for a long time, and I'll be damned if this doesn't look amazing.

October 14, 2012 12:59:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Been a while since i played anything to do with WC. I do like the direction Chris is taking with this. Ether the military campaign, or open world freelancer style. If it is set during the WC1 timeline i like the re-imagining of the ships. Especially the Bengal class carrier (same class as the tigers claw) though it is a different carrier. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

The only thing i didnt like about WC (all of them) was the rinse n repeat of almost every mission. However the storys in the SP campaigns were always good. Freelancer turned me off because of the relentless "what are you new?" dialog. Though an open world eve online/X series open world sandbox universe will work very well here.

Yup chris roberts had me at "hello"

October 15, 2012 1:35:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
Yup chris roberts had me at "hello"

Me too.  Love wing commander.  Play Prophecy/Secret Ops start to finish with the high-res pack at least once every three months to keep my piloting skills up.

October 18, 2012 4:23:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This looks to be really interesting.  I put in $30 just to see it happen.  Fingers crossed.

October 18, 2012 10:47:49 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'm happy that it won't be subscription based, so much like Guild Wars.  Hopefully, it'll also be the same way in that it doesn't waste your time.  Space is vast and flying through emptiness is not fun.

October 18, 2012 4:51:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You can now get the game via Kickstarter, just started a couple hours ago:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

October 21, 2012 8:45:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You can pledge for the game at Kickstarter.  In theory you get a copy--if they successfully release.

A lot of players wanted a Kickstarter release so they did it and have gotten 355k of 500k in pledges there.

On their own website they began taking donations and have raised an additional 1.25mil of a target 2 million goal.  

It's looking pretty good at present since Kickstart was not part of their original projection--I believe it's "extra money" so to speak.

So they had a goal of two million in individual donations originally by the middle of next month and combined they have already gotten  $1.6 million.

On top of this, they already had up front backers before they began that supposedly fully covered initial set-up and development costs.

So looking good.  I shipped in $30 and you have the option on their own website to get your money back if they don't meet their target.  I didn't take that option.  It's a vote of confidence for me.  I don't know if my comp will be able to handle the game. Lol.

All the crowdsourcing support may also help them get future investors as well.

October 24, 2012 11:06:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I registered before the game was offically announced.  You'll see me flying a shiny gold ship.  hehe.

I wants my shiny ship.

October 25, 2012 5:59:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Shiny!

October 25, 2012 7:28:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looks like as of today they have reached their financial goals.

October 25, 2012 7:56:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting news - particularly that he is self-publishing on this venture. 

I hope that is the wave of the future for A-list titles. 

I'm sick to death of the likes of Ubisoft, EA, etc. 

Oh, and I've signed on to be a Star Citizen.  And I recommend you do too! 

November 6, 2012 10:21:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Woooohoooo Sign me up for some of that sweet sweet Action!!

November 10, 2012 3:48:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

EEEK, I love this. I never noticed this thread before, thanks so much, I freaking love Wing Commander and Privateer.

November 11, 2012 6:50:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome.  Thanks for this thread.  Thanks for the game links also.

November 11, 2012 6:35:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am very impressed with what i am seeing so far. I hope the game play equals or is better than the appearance so far.

November 12, 2012 10:59:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've since bumped up my pledge to Wingnut; the Hornet looks delicious.

November 13, 2012 12:41:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I donated $100,000....now you will all bow before me.

November 13, 2012 1:01:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pictures or it didn't happen. 

November 13, 2012 11:40:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Proof or STFU 

November 15, 2012 10:54:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I lost my receipt--but I SWEAR!

Did I mention that I am also a stunning young female supermodel too?

November 15, 2012 11:18:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good god Free lancer was my childhood, I still consider finding the Hispania to be the best adventure I've ever undertaken , I wasn't even sure it existed for the entire time, in fact right up until I saw it with my own eyes I thought it had to of been a plot line line that never became reality for money reasons or whatever during development of the game, when in reality after you finish the story your only a third of the way to it. When I found it I ran round the house shouting I FOUND IT! god, free lancer was the best game I've ever played.

November 15, 2012 11:59:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
I lost my receipt--but I SWEAR!

Did I mention that I am also a stunning young female supermodel too?

We have no doubt.

November 17, 2012 12:01:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's all true...I said it on the internet.  There's no way then it could be a lie.

November 17, 2012 12:24:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow...I went on last night around midnight and they were up to $4,000,000 pledged. I go on this morning about ten hours later and they are up another $200,000.

The goal is to reach $5,00,000 and they will add a boatload of new features.  Every pledge gotten during the crowd sourcing will be seed matched by corporate investors who will chip in "the big bucks".  So the game already has a start budget of $4 million--not counting the big boys money which will be a multiple of that.

On a related note, you can pledge through my * shameless self plug* referral link here and join--plus I get a kudo for recruiting you.  It helps my crippled self esteem so much.

One of the things to be added at the $% million lkevel will be celebrity voice actors and a promise of at least one from the orginal Freelancer.  Woot!

The actual reason I posted though was just to encourage everyone to go look at this game if you haven't already.  incredible from the creator of Starlancer, Wing Commander, Privateer, Freelancer and the lot.

Video here: http://vimeo.com/51135962

November 17, 2012 6:22:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
One of the things to be added at the $% million lkevel will be celebrity voice actors and a promise of at least one from the orginal Freelancer. Woot!

As long as they're minor celebrities who will work for (relatively) cheap.  Otherwise all the VA budget gets spent on them and there's no money left for competent actors for the other roles (take your average Bethesda game for example).  Mark Hamill is a must-have VA though since this is a successor to Wing Commander after all.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: