The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

CHRIS ROBERTS--STAR CITIZEN UPDATES & INFO

Yes, awesome does exist.

By on September 19, 2012 3:15:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

Chris Roberts--the primary creator of Games such as Privater, Wing Commander and Freelancer is back in action!.

FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The link is here (and "42" is what will get you in if you get stuck).  Go enroll and let this guy know you are interested--this is the original scfi game maker who broke all the rules and did the things no one else would.

I would pay for this game in advance without even knowing what it was.

I believe the link gives you the chance to be an alpha-beta tester for the game during the next two years.  I'd highly recommend it.

I also think it would be fantastic if Stardock and Ironclad sent him a note of support (I'm just sayin'...) 

474 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 6, 2015 8:59:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey!  I don't have Star Citizen alts (I meant here).

I keep trying to get into the PTU and I can run around in the buildings and arena but when I try to actually go to the PTU missions I get about 6 minutes of load time and the client times out.

But the reality is I am working on strict deadlines right now and it's hard to get real game time (though I will sneak away into the playable PU when it is up).

Still, your death will come when it comes.  Be prepared even though preparation is futile!  Captain Stanley Crube captains the most powerful Constellation in two universes and is unstoppable.

Donal Trump himself will exclaim, "I've never seen so much pain!  How does he do it!?".

December 7, 2015 12:24:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

December 7, 2015 4:57:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm hanging out to play the current alpha... but I need a new graphics card lol

December 11, 2015 5:33:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 is going LIVE by the end of today." Chris Roberts, 12/11/15 on Reverse The Verse.

It is now live.

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15106-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Available

December 11, 2015 6:23:35 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Every time I decide to see how things are going I find I can't update and have to uninstall, re-install, and sit through all the updates. Yeah, no thanks. I'll wait a bit longer.

December 11, 2015 7:35:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You could do that, but of all of the updates, this isn't one to miss out on since this is the start of the baby PU.  Unlike the others that just built upon the modules, this puts all of the modules together, adds FPS and multicrew ships, and a lot of other things like 64bit large world maps...  Not twisting your arm or anything, but it is kind of worth the effort this time.

Hey, lets be honest here.  I get the issues thing, I've been through a bunch of them myself, in fact, the biggest one I'm most pissed at is I'm one of the 6-12% player base that got totally fucked by the new patcher and was forced to upgrade from Vista to windows 10 without being given any notice at all while the month or so went by while the new patcher was being built, oh and by the way, Vista users had to buy windows 10 instead of getting the free upgrade everyone else got.  So yeah, I had to fork over an additional $130 just to keep playing that the other 88% or so of players didn't have to do, and I had to sit down and back up a bunch of shit after going through everything and deciding what I needed to keep and what I wanted to keep and what I could do without because the upgrade from Vista to 10 isn't seamless at all, it's exactly like the old way where once you start, you lose everything you didn't save elsewhere.  So what little bit of time I did have available to me, was spent on OS things rather then fun things.  And because of all of that I missed out on the opportunity to win a Glaive...  So yeah, I've had some very aggravating experiences, one in particular that could have been easily avoided had one of 6 individuals (read that as assholes) working on the patcher even bother to say "Hey, we're dropping Vista." in one of their many update posts...  But I digress...

This update is THE update.  You finally get to be in the universe.  It only gets bigger from here.

December 11, 2015 7:54:18 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Let me clarify: I'm not a pissed-off kickstarter at all. I just have my own life and schedule and when I have time to go peek in I always have to wait to do the total uninstall, re-install, patch. I have a very good internet connection and speed. But I have time when I have time. So I've seen next-to-nothing with my own gameplay. Time'll come.

December 21, 2015 12:03:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed. Time'll come.

December 21, 2015 7:27:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,

Hey, lets be honest here.  I get the issues thing, I've been through a bunch of them myself, in fact, the biggest one I'm most pissed at is I'm one of the 6-12% player base that got totally fucked by the new patcher and was forced to upgrade from Vista to windows 10 without being given any notice at all while the month or so went by while the new patcher was being built, oh and by the way, Vista users had to buy windows 10 instead of getting the free upgrade everyone else got.  So yeah, I had to fork over an additional $130 just to keep playing that the other 88% or so of players didn't have to do, and I had to sit down and back up a bunch of shit after going through everything and deciding what I needed to keep and what I wanted to keep and what I could do without because the upgrade from Vista to 10 isn't seamless at all, it's exactly like the old way where once you start, you lose everything you didn't save elsewhere.  So what little bit of time I did have available to me, was spent on OS things rather then fun things.  And because of all of that I missed out on the opportunity to win a Glaive...  So yeah, I've had some very aggravating experiences, one in particular that could have been easily avoided had one of 6 individuals (read that as assholes) working on the patcher even bother to say "Hey, we're dropping Vista." in one of their many update posts...  But I digress...

This update is THE update.  You finally get to be in the universe.  It only gets bigger from here.

Ow on the Vista thing (and "lol" that you used Vista).  ; )

I'm with Clint, the constant jiggering to update and tweak is annoying and I don't have th time to do it everytime--but I did do this update.

It's looking good for the oft-proclaimed "vaporware" so many naysayers liked to chant.

December 28, 2015 8:22:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,

Ow on the Vista thing (and "lol" that you used Vista). ; )

Well, like I said a long time ago, I had intended to upgrade my gaming rig a couple of years ago, but then Star Citizen got announced right before I was ready to start the process of pricing out parts and getting a build list together, so I held (am holding) off until something is released in a non alpha or beta state so that I have more concrete specs to work with (blow past).  I got this rig sometime around late 2007 / early 2008 and only expected to keep it 4 or 5 years, here we are nearly 8 years later and I'm just postponing until I have numbers to work with.  Had I just stuck with my original plan, I'd actually be getting pretty close to getting another new one at this point, and the money I would have spent on that got sunk into SC, plus a bunch...  So really, everybody wins with my Vista sacrifice.

January 1, 2016 10:30:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So Stant, are you playing any of it??? PTU or Live??

January 6, 2016 3:53:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Both, but I prefer the PTU because of the little bits of extras, and I like breaking shit and finding places to get where you shouldn't be able to go like the back rooms of Area 18, and getting the people who claim to be girls to dance on the bar and tables [will look so much better when its female characters doing it], and then telling a bunch of other people how to do it until we bring the virtual servers to its knees. 

My older processor means I had to use a debugger to change one stinking value in the code of the exe to allow me to play without immediately crashing when a multicrew ship is loaded (blocking access to the hangar and PU but not the social or arena commander modules), but it wasn't a big deal to do (only took seconds, and only had to do it once) and I seem to have better stability then a lot of other people, hours of gameplay with only moderate slowdowns when someone is nearby with a freelancer, affectionately being referred to as a Laglancer presently, so I'll take it.  And I have it on good authority that one of the QA guys in the UK went home during their break and got his older PC to take to work and run tests with so this annoying little issue won't happen again.

Just a little bit ago, I crashed my hornet ghost on a moon because I was skirting its gravity radius too closely trying to use the moon and the nearby asteroids as cover while another ship hunted me.  We were playing hide and seek.  I spawned a bunch of ghosts on the landing pads and people jumped in and flew away and someone else spawned an avenger and went on the hunt.  Sometimes you get into a server that has a good group of people like that.

January 7, 2016 11:13:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Whenever I can, I watch Twitch streamers play the game. My favorites include Kazu, wtfsaurus, BurkeBlack, Captain Richard and sgt gamble!!! Time is dwindling because at the end of the month, they going to split Squadron 42 and PU in separate packages!!! Still saving to get a great rig!!!

January 7, 2016 8:55:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,

Still saving to get a great rig!!!

You better be.  I got an extra FACTION-9 Baton to pass your way.

January 16, 2016 12:40:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Shameless bump, but with a purpose.

Quoting Stant123,

My older processor means I had to use a debugger to change one stinking value in the code of the exe to allow me to play without immediately crashing when a multicrew ship is loaded (blocking access to the hangar and PU but not the social or arena commander modules), but it wasn't a big deal to do (only took seconds, and only had to do it once) and I seem to have better stability then a lot of other people, hours of gameplay with only moderate slowdowns when someone is nearby with a freelancer, affectionately being referred to as a Laglancer presently, so I'll take it.  And I have it on good authority that one of the QA guys in the UK went home during their break and got his older PC to take to work and run tests with so this annoying little issue won't happen again.

As has been posted on the RSI forums:

Chris Danks, Jan 12, 06:00

Hi         ,

Thanks for making sure we are aware of this issue, we've been aware of it since it appeared for users with the Retaliator in their hangars in 1.3.0. It's since escalated into the bug you're seeing now where all ships with internal physics grids cause the crash, and the bug was updated as it happened to reflect its now game breaking nature.

The instruction causing the problem is called POPCNT, and is a secondary component of SSE4.2. It was added to Intel CPUs around 2008 and AMD CPUs in late 2007. Any processors from before that implementation would suffer from this crash.

The fixed executables are being queued for QA testing as we speak. They probably will not make it into 2.1.0 as the development stream has been separated from the main branch for some time, but they will be pushed to live ASAP.

Thanks again for making sure we're aware, sometimes these specific problems can slip through the gaps and so getting them reported to us like this does help.

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Cheers,
Chris Danks
Game Support
Cloud Imperium Games
So progress on that front, in other news 2.1 is on the LIVE Servers.  EMP fun for everyone.
February 1, 2016 1:50:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just read this in the Bluesnews discussions:

- Is it true that Star Citizen could be the Donald Trump of game development?

- It's way worse. It could be Marilyn Manson - cult-like and batshit insane.

February 2, 2016 9:16:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Space is not really my thing ( medieval fantasy ) but I wish Chris all the best, SC fate is crucial for the future of crowdfunding and gaming in general.

February 2, 2016 9:01:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,

Just read this in the Bluesnews discussions:

- Is it true that Star Citizen could be the Donald Trump of game development?

- It's way worse. It could be Marilyn Manson - cult-like and batshit insane.

Question asked of whom, and answered by whom? And more importantly, what was the tone of the question and the answer?  As read as presented it reads as all negative doom and gloom, and even a bit insulting, but if it were just musings between Sinperium and myself, for example, it could be quite the opposite.  We don't hate each other at all, we get along quite well and will likely work together often in Star Citizen, but if you take our text and just post cherry picked lines, the good natured ribbing and competitive challenges we throw at each other could be made to seem like we hate each other and have permanent kill on sight orders.

I ask because there's a very large portion of the gaming industry that wants to see the game fail, or at the very least fall very short of expectations.  Publishers, for example, would love to see it fail to protect their business model and source of income.  If developers all switch to crowd funding, then there's no need for publishers.  Publishers study the market and decide what kind of game is viable to make.  Publishers push advertising.  Publishers push deadlines which inevitably force an unfinished or buggy product to be released.  Publishers want the most they can charge for a product compared to spending the least to maximize profit.  Publishers also create an ecosystem where clones of successful games are created over and over again and new types of games or a resurgence of an older genre are suppressed.  With crowd funding, the gamer becomes the publisher.  The gamer is footing the initial cost of development.  The gamer advertises the game.  The gamers themselves prove how much the market wants something.  The gamer decides how much risk to take and is interested in the product, not the profit.  Publishers, by rule of survival, cannot allow games like Star Citizen to be made, because Star Citizen proves not only are publishers wrong with their market studies and insistence that PC gamers aren't a good market and that certain genres are dead, but also completely unnecessary.

Then there are the game developers themselves.  I'm not saying developers don't care about the product they create, but imagine the 8th Call Of Duty clone being made.  If taken to crowd funding, the gamer says, why the hell would I want that?  It's exactly the same as what I've already got...  Not enough is spent and the game isn't made, but if it appears in the store one day, the gamer says, eh, why not.  I'll take it.  Some developers keep their studios open specifically because the publisher is paying them to make more of the same because they know the gamer will buy it.  So to these developers, crows funding is a scary realization that gamers could decide the fate of their studio based on first impressions, rather then just careless spending out of boredom.

Then there are the players that feel threatened by Star Citizen.  We will break them down into two groups.  The first is the console player who enjoys the lion's share of the game development resources, because they believe the rhetoric by the publishers that all PC games are pirated to the point that they make less then 10% of their possible sales, so those of us that play on PC's are all criminals and are killing the industry, an industry that makes more money then most others combined, mind you.  Star Citizen making the money it already has, and the support it gets, proves their beliefs are bullshit, like us PC gamers have been saying for over a decade, and lets face it, no one wants to be proven wrong in such spectacular fashion.  The second is the player that perceive themselves as rivals based on the product they support.  This isn't their game and as long as this one is doing better then theirs, it's up to them to troll until this one isn't as good or both outright fail.  Is EVE a rival of Star Citizen?  Of course not, but if you listen to the vocal few of either player base, like the highlanders, "There can be only one."  Do be aware that I said players and not gamers for either of these, because real gamers, people like me, if we like a game, or are at least interested in it enough to get it, we will play it regardless if it's another clone or what system it's on.

There's also a group of people that take every bit of information and dissect it and hold it as gospel truth despite being said as tongue in cheek commentary and then plaster it everywhere if it takes longer or isn't exactly as said and use it to badmouth the game.

There's even a group of fans that just don't understand the development process and are only used to finished playable products on their machine ready to go and can't grasp the reality that these things take time to make and usually are 3 or 4 years into development before you ever hear a single word about the game.  They see the setbacks and claim doom for the project despite every single game ever made went through this exact same development process, except that they didn't know about them because they're not public knowledge.

Basically, what I'm getting at is posting something like that and not providing anything else to allow me to figure out the tone of the comments forces me to judge the commentators based on only what is presented.  The question asked could be a positive or negative based on how you view a person whom no doubt has a very polarizing effect on people and then getting a negatively framed response about something else not asked in the question (I interpret the response to be about the fans and not actual game development), but again using a frame of reference that could either be positive or negative depending on your personal views of that frame of reference.  I'm a fan of both Donald Trump and Marilyn Manson, so I'm actually insulted that both are being used in a negative manner.  I'm not a cultist or bat shit crazy, nor do I want Trump for president, but the man knows how to generate money for himself and being in charge of policy and generating money for this broke ass country is a good thing.  So I'm really only left with one position in all of this.  Fuck the person whom asked the question and double fuck the person whom answered, as neither demonstrates they know the subjects they are discussing and could be from one of the many previous groups of people I outlined that have no problems bashing something that benefits us all if and when it succeeds, based on that little cherry picked plain text posting.

Quoting JamesGoblin,

Space is not really my thing ( medieval fantasy ) but I wish Chris all the best, SC fate is crucial for the future of crowdfunding and gaming in general.

If you don't already know, Shroud Of The Avatar (aka Ultima) and Bard's Tale 4 are in development.  I'm not a part of Shroud (yet, since I'm waiting to see how much of my time is absorbed by SC and Descent: Underground), but I am a part of Bard's Tale since it's single player and I can go at my own pace.  And thank you for your support.

If you join Star Citizen sometime in the future, make sure to look me up, I could always use more bodies on my ships that don't have to be pilots...  I need turret gunners, damage control officers, mining laser specialists, doctors, farmers, telescope operators, component overclockers, and a whole bunch of other stuff...  Just because the setting is different doesn't mean we can't lure you in with something fun to do. 

February 7, 2016 4:56:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Stant123,

Quoting JamesGoblin,

If you don't already know, Shroud Of The Avatar (aka Ultima) and Bard's Tale 4 are in development.  I'm not a part of Shroud (yet, since I'm waiting to see how much of my time is absorbed by SC and Descent: Underground), but I am a part of Bard's Tale since it's single player and I can go at my own pace.  And thank you for your support.

If you join Star Citizen sometime in the future, make sure to look me up, I could always use more bodies on my ships that don't have to be pilots...  I need turret gunners, damage control officers, mining laser specialists, doctors, farmers, telescope operators, component overclockers, and a whole bunch of other stuff...  Just because the setting is different doesn't mean we can't lure you in with something fun to do. 

Thanks for the offer, maybe someday

At the moment, I have games such as Crowfall or Camelot Unchained on my "schedule", and it's likely that these (Crowfall at least) will cause the reversed "exodus" from space (Eve) to dark ages

March 21, 2016 4:18:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Been watching over on Twitch. 4 decks of Ship Porn love called the Starfarer!!! Just Damn!!!

June 11, 2016 2:44:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sooooooooo, 2.4 is now live.  As they say:

Alpha 2.4 introduces the first iteration of in-game persistence and shopping, as well as major changes to the controls, updates to the ship roster (including making the massive Starfarer flyable in-game), bug fixes, balance updates and more! In short, this is our biggest and most important update since Star Citizen Alpha 2.0.

Mmmmmoooooooorrrrrrrrreeeeeeee.

June 17, 2016 9:25:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dragonfly on sale.

I bought 2 2-packs...  'Cause I wanna start a space motorcycle gang.    Bison, Major Stress, Sinperium?  Anyone else wanna 'ride' in the PU?

June 18, 2016 12:16:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I may have to pull that trigger and get the black one. Those things are awesome!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: