The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Object Desktop 2012 Preview

By on April 19, 2012 4:05:53 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Object Desktop has evolved greatly over the past two decades.

In its original OS/2 incarnation, it was designed to be a subtle, but important, upgrade to the OS. 

When it migrated to Windows, it helped spark the “skinning” revolution where users used it to radically alter the look and feel of Windows.

Here in 2012, Object Desktop has again begun returning to its roots of providing important but often subtle improvements. Let’s look at the above screenshot:

• WindowFX 5 will provide, amongst many many other features, the ability to hide icon text for those who want to get rid of “screen dirt”
  • Fences 2 will let users have folders displayed as Fences on the desktop
  • DeskScapes continues to let users have visually more interesting wallpapers that animated, change based on time, or are enhanced visually in other ways
  • Tiles takes the concept of “virtual desktops” and merges it with the better design concepts of Metro to allow users to create “pages” of tasks.
  • and of course WindowBlinds allows users to change the look and feel of the Windows GUI. You can still make radical changes if you’d like (make Windows look like a Mac, for example) but most users these days use it to simply make Aero a bit more usable and personalized.

Visit www.objectdesktop.com to learn more. When you buy Object Desktop, you get everything that’s in it now plus all the things we make new for it or update for the forthcoming year.

+86 Karma | 12 Replies
April 19, 2012 4:36:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was hoping to read some good news about an old legacy application having been picked up again....

I have to say that WFX5 is the most positive addition/update, so far.
It's got more cool options than you can poke a stick at....

April 19, 2012 5:38:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As with all updates I wait patiently to see just what you and your folks have in store for the community with Object Desktop 2012.

I do hope it will get released prior to December 21st so we all have sufficent time with it before that whole Mayan Calender thing kicks in.  

April 19, 2012 5:46:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm anxious to get Object Desktop. I'll be upgrading an old PC soon. I've determined that Object Desktop is required software.

April 19, 2012 5:56:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WhiteElk,
I'm anxious to get Object Desktop. I'll be upgrading an old PC soon. I've determined that Object Desktop is required software.

Object Desktop also saves you money versus buying the individual programs, always good to save a few $. 

April 19, 2012 10:21:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Object Desktop also saves you money versus buying the individual programs, always good to save a few $
Quite right. I've added the cost of Object Desktop to the upgrade build. Right alongside the cost of the OS. A few of those programs, I view as being essential interface optimization's. But by buying the OD bundle, I get them cheaper, and I get as bonus, those programs which beautify and personalize the windows environment. Optimize and customize baby!!

April 20, 2012 1:02:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just the core apps included would cost well over $120 if purchased separately.  That's also not counting additional apps that come with ODNT - DesktopX, etc.

April 20, 2012 1:32:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The more BANG! The better.

April 25, 2012 9:35:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I purchased Object Desktop yesterday but I'm unable to download anything due to some sort of software/account issue. If I don't get a helpful response tomorrow I'm going to ask for a refund.

April 25, 2012 9:39:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting nbafan99,
I purchased Object Desktop yesterday but I'm unable to download anything due to some sort of software/account issue. If I don't get a helpful response tomorrow I'm going to ask for a refund.

If you are having issues with your account it's best to contact [email protected] and they will get you sorted.

April 25, 2012 9:43:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting nbafan99,
Should be fixed now.  Sorry about that.  Database fart.

April 26, 2012 8:32:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Database fart.

There's a NetBeans joke in there somewhere...

May 12, 2012 7:51:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I, for one, love to use radical Windowblinds     I use ObjectDock+ 2 so haven't found a need for Fences or Tiles.  Maybe at some future date I will.  My desktop stays clear of icons altogether.  Metro is very ugly, not sure which design elements are not.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.