The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Online Contest Legal Advice =(?

By on April 7, 2012 6:30:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here is the link to the contest posthttp://meta.gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/4403/league-of-legends-contest-round-3-final-round/4410#4410 

and in the comments under it is pretty much what lauren the contest runner had to say about it

and here is the link to my posthttp://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/60031/what-is-the-best-way-to-land-skill-shots-at-short-range

which had 440 views when the contest was over and the winner only had 157.

Basically in the category of having GG classic on your profile. I won with the most views by 300 views. The contest runner said because i didn't have "ggClassic" without the space in my about me section. I am ineligible. Even thought I had it like that in my username, website, and about me section but with a space in it. 

I did not know that having quotes on something meant you need to have exactly that no exception. I advertised the fuck out of the website in order to win the tv but because of a space someone who registered and put in one post and never came back won because I guess they are better at not putting spaces between things!

Just really sad and I have no clue if there is even any law about contests online " src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/images/blank.gif" alt="" />. She offered me a 50$ giftcard but I really needed the monitor. Was just asking around to see if there was anything else I could do because I have already tried contacting others but do not really know where I stand.

Does " " always mean if you do not have this exactly you are ineligible? or do they have to type that out exactly.

0 Karma | 15 Replies
April 7, 2012 8:38:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If it's important to you, ask a lawyer.

But yes, quoting things means exactly what is quoted verbatim... that's the entire purpose of quotation marks (in general).

April 7, 2012 8:30:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally since it is such a small contest I think that you should be given the prize. However, I don't think its worth trying to get the person in trouble... you could get a temporary part time job instead... it would probably be more effective.

I say take the gift card... its better than nothing.

April 8, 2012 11:15:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had a feeling that when you posted a link to that website the other day, that there was a catch.  You even linked directly to your question in that "hey check out this great website" thread apparently in an attempt to drum up hits from folks. 

To top it off, the question you ask seems completely disingenuous.

"Is there a way for me to practice better skill shots at short range or should I always wait for them to distance themselves and mess up a dodge? I would like to go from 80% success rate to at least 97% in short range."

heh - Jona sits alone in a room saying to himself, hi - if only I could improve my short range skill shots from hitting 80% of the time to 97%.  Anyway, sorry you didn't win a contest by tricking folks to follow a link to your thread.  In the future, be more forthcoming.  Congrats on winning $50, though. 

April 9, 2012 3:12:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did win the contest.  I just had a space between gg and classic.  And no i dont need help landing skill shots.  That is not the point.  The point is to promote the website and have a clear and concise question that will help people how bout you stop being so high and mighty for a minute huh????  There are little things that players do different to help improve their game,  the suggestion of just trying to slow down the player before guessing at their next movement was a great one.

Don't you ever speculate on my ingenuousness because you are always trying to put yourself above others just like when you had all but your own powers revoked in ventrillo and just like you have to be the team captain of everything,  tournament, forum, and vent.  When even you never have the knowledge or skill set to help the best in those positions.  And use your powers to put yourself above others when you are so childish and manipulative.

April 9, 2012 4:02:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry man, but yea, if something is in quotes it means it must be exactly as its shown in the quotes.

You won by the spirit of the contest, but not by the rules.

April 9, 2012 4:03:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Myles,
Sorry man, but yea, if something is in quotes it means it must be exactly as its shown in the quotes.

You won by the spirit of the contest, but not by the rules.

Thank you for a relevant answer !!!!  Karma for not being pacov and actually answering the post!!!!

April 9, 2012 4:07:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, jona. 

edit - I'm editing another post now.  To clarify, I, pacov, deleted one of Jona's derogatory comments about myself and then restored it.  Hopefully that helps make sense of jona taking screenshots like a man possessed in the following posts.  My deepest apologies for deleting the completely necessary derogatory comment.  It has since been restored in all its glory.

April 9, 2012 4:09:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why did you just edit my post?  

April 9, 2012 4:16:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I feel really mature after reading this thread...

That's not easy.

April 9, 2012 4:49:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just demonstrating the fact that pacov uses his moderation powers to further his own ideology of himself.  By editing or deleting certain posts.  You should not have the power to edit other peoples words either delete the post or leave it alone editing an entire sentence out a post because it has your name in it is not what moderation is for.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5379/notpacov.png

We cant even view edits or see that you even edited something unless we screenshot it.   Stop abusing your power pacov!

April 9, 2012 5:00:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fight the power!

April 9, 2012 5:06:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow pacov and you just edited it back to the original state.  

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2958/pacovedit.png

April 9, 2012 5:17:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

jona -  try to calm down.  karma for not being pacov comment restored. 

Anyway, I'll put it this way.  The last 3 posts from you have been a referral link in the Demigod forums for LoL.  Then a referral link for stack exchange for what was apparently a contest (posted in the Demigod forums).  And then this lawsuit post (moved to the pc gaming forum).  Embittered by whatever happened with your contest, you changed your referral link OP from check out stack exchange or something to that effect to "Never visit Stack Exchange!  They are horrible."  I took a hostile tone with you for the 2nd referral post.  I called your question disingenuous and you confirmed that when you said

Quoting OMG_Jona,
And no i dont need help landing skill shots. That is not the point.

dis·in·gen·u·ous  (dsn-jny-s)

adj.
1. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, who ... exemplified ... the most disagreeable traits of his time" (David Cannadine).
2. Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf.
3. Usage Problem Unaware or uninformed; naive.

So, pretty much the definition of disingenuous.  Then you start bashing the website you were promoting ("never visit stack exchange...") because you felt ripped off in their contest.  Anyway, I called you out on that, albeit aggressively, and now your are instead fighting the tyranny that is pacov (and his maddening lust for power).  All that said, we can go back and forth on this for others viewing pleasure or just stop.  Take a screenshot in the meantime
April 9, 2012 5:19:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
jona -  try to calm down.  karma for not being pacov comment restored. 

Anyway, I'll put it this way.  The last 3 posts from you have been a referral link in the Demigod forums for LoL.  Then a referral link for stack exchange for what was apparently a contest (posted in the Demigod forums).  And then this lawsuit post (moved to the pc gaming forum).  Embittered by whatever happened with your contest, you changed your referral link OP from check out stack exchange or something to that effect to "Never visit Stack Exchange!  They are horrible."  I took a hostile tone with you for the 2nd referral post.  I called your question disingenuous and you confirmed that when you said

Quoting OMG_Jona, reply 4And no i dont need help landing skill shots. That is not the point.

dis·in·gen·u·ous  (dsn-jny-s)

adj.
1. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, who ... exemplified ... the most disagreeable traits of his time" (David Cannadine).
2. Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf.
3. Usage Problem Unaware or uninformed; naive.

So, pretty much the definition of disingenuous.  Then you start bashing the website you were promoting ("never visit stack exchange...") because you felt ripped off in their contest.  Anyway, I called you out on that, albeit aggressively, and now your are instead fighting the tyranny that is pacov (and his maddening lust for power).  All that said, we can go back and forth on this for others viewing pleasure or just stop.  Take a screenshot in the meantime

I never said I wasn't being disingenuous,  did I?  I was simply referring to the hypocrisy of YOU calling someone dis·in·gen·u·ous  (dsn-jny-s).  Pertaining to the fact that you edit and delete posts simply on your will without any explanation sometimes.  Unless specifically called out on it.  Which took me posting two screen shots of you editing my post then reediting it because I brought up the fact that you edited.

Which you have done to cow, mcshane, hedgie, zengod and probably countless other people.  Which totally discredits the validity of these forums.

And to the fact that I started bashing the website I was promoting was totally reasonable.  When someone does something to change your opinion of them does your opinion not change?  Why wouldn't I change my positive advertisement to a negative advertisement if my positive experience changed to a negative one?  Also  having nothing to do with the fact that I was asking a specific question about contest rules.

"I"  am also not a moderator and am editing my "Own" posts and am not held up to the higher standard that "You" should be as a "Moderator"  with so very many "Moderation Powers"  on a forum with thousands of members.

April 9, 2012 5:29:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As you like, jona.  Feel free to get back to the topic if you are still in need of legal advice.  My apologies.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.