The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

IN1's 3v3 Sedna build

By on April 3, 2012 4:52:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMGIN1

Join Date 12/2011
+5

1. General notes.

- This is a 3v3 Sedna build. Probably, the 3v3 Sedna build, but still, that means it's not optimal for 2v2 (though it will work adequately), and that it's quite bad for 1v1.

- The main idea is to build a Sedna that hits the hp:speed ratio golden spot, becoming a mobile tank of sorts. In a nutshell, it means that this Sedna will be faster than the opponents at any given stage (except very early levels), and will have enough hp to be able to tank during ganks/counter-ganks.

- This is a mobile build. Thus, correct maneuvering is of utmost importance. Correct maneuvering, besides the obvious being-there-on-time-to-heal includes the following advanced concepts: half-caps (AKA yellowing); flag contesting; luring. The former should be familiar to any player that wishes to be condsidered competent - just let me note that being a mobile tank, this Sedna is ideal as a half-cap initiator, yet I would like to dwell on the latter two at some length.

A. Flag contesting:
In short, it's not what the vast majority of players thinks it is, i. e. you don't just trade AAs with your opponent in the immediate vicinity of the flag. Due to her HW aura, Sedna is extremely strong while contesting a flag correctly in a creepwave. The main principle is to take advantage of your creeps configuration by positioning yourself in such a way the opposing DG would be dpsed by creeps. Their damage might seem negligible, but trust me - it's not. Of course, this tactic, in conjunction with NR chain lightning, works wonders mainly against non-AoE guys (another Sed, Erb, practically also DA). It will be efficient against any DG as long as he doesn't spend his mana on AoE to clear creepwaves consistently.

B. Luring:
This build has two great assets for an initator/focus man/luremaster: speed (you are safe if you don't get completely chain-stunned) and deceptive fragility (it guarantees the opponents will follow you to get a kill). The second quality also ensures you will almost always get focused in team skirmishes, which is great -- let them waste their mana. Just make a mental switch, and get used to run->heal up->come back tactics. Luring proper is, obviously, a bit more tricky, and involves familiarizing oneself closely with monks' healing timer. I think it's better to show an example of what a competent Sedna can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLjbU97_yA

2. An analytical phase-by-phase description of a typical Sedna match (Cataract 3v3):

A. Debut:
Buy monks, attach them to the proper DG(s). Wait till mark 00:44 (400 g), buy Scalemail, run to your lane as quickly as possible. If you are fast enough and your teammate is not a greedy egotistic asshole, you should get there just in the nick of time for the first creepwave. The so-called "monk block" tactic works great if there is an enemy DG at the flag, but your teammates are still absent from the lane for whatever reason. What should happen is this: an enemy DG will clear an allied creepwave, enemy creeps will advance towards the tower. Now you should block them for several crucial seconds with your monk at such a distance that the allied tower won't hit them. Sounds complicated, but easy to do as a matter of fact.

IMPORTANT: You'll have plenty of spare time waiting at crystal. Please do tell your teammates you are not AFK! Some players have a tendency to call you names, or, even worse, exit the game, if they don't see you rushing to fight for an exp flag like an idiot.

Favor:
BotF - yup, that universal nooby favor. There is no alternative for this build. You will need those 800 hp badly, since you will only have 2 hp items almost for all match long.

Skill:

(1) Heal 1 - your main active support skill, even though you won't have to use it much with this build if you are a competent Sedna player.

B. Early game (lvls 2-6):

With Scalemail, you are freakish strong, especially with Normal towers setting. While holding a hp flag, you can often 1v2 successfully. The moment the opponents are gone for some reason, don't be afraid to attack the tower. It won't do that much damage if the tower setting is Normal and you have a Scalemail. With Normal towers, your goal is to bring your tower down before your first base trip. Not only for a sense of accomplishment, mind you, but also for a +300 g. I strongly suggest waiting until you hit (6) before going back to the base. Of course, that involves a Cur 1 timing considerations, but more often than not, it will be suitable in this respect.

Skills:
(2) IG 1 - I vote for this as the best "afk Sed"'s second level skill pick. +10 hps boost is nice, but having +5% speed at is essential, as it enables disengaging at will. 

(3) HW 1 - besides the obvious +12 hps benefit, that aura works wonders on allied creeps (see 'Flag contesting' sub-section above).

(4) Heal 2 - getting a strong heal early on is hardly essential, but still very nice. More importantly, +900 hp is enough to counter most alpha strikes, so it will stay at this level until (10). Yes, that means you won't be able to dispel negative effects until then. Get used to it. 

(5) HW 2 - +24 hps is amazing, enhanced monk heals are critical.

(6) IG 2 - yes, IG 2 it is. Not Silence 1. Two reasons: as a rule, you won't need to use Sil 1 at (6) in 3v3 -- the serious skirmishes do not begin before you hit (7); IG 2 means +10% speed = no need to invest in BoS early = getting Bishops ASAP.

Matchups: 

You are stronger than any other DG, with the possible exception of a heavily tower-oriented Rook and a minion QoT, early game.

C. First base trip:
Cur 1 (self-explanatory), NR (see below), Totem of Revelation (optional, but valuable for a +5 passive vision radius). Yes, no TP yet. If you are that much into ganking, ask one of your teammates to buy one for you.
Reasons to get NR as your first non-debut item: half-a-helm as far as passive mana reserve is considered; compensates for Sedna's cardinal weakness - lack of AoE -> inability to creep efficiently -> poor leveling and gold gain - here's an example for sceptics: http://i42.tinypic.com/149plkw.jpg; Sedna's AA animation is why NR is so efficient on her - you will notice a lot of double and triple NR procs you won't be able to score with any other DG - since that's a huge amount of surprise damage, NR is indispensable: while contesting flags, it will also clear the enemy creepwave, making it easier to get the opposing DG creep-dpsed; always procs double on structures.

D. Mid game (lvls 7-11):
You are still very strong. You have a good speed and a decent AoE capability. Once you get Counter Healing, you will have no trouble holding the flag. You will have to make an additional trip to the base somewhere mid (7-11) range to get Bishops, BoS, and probably Banded/Unbreakables.
Skills:
(7) Sil 1 - the ultimate skill-blocker. You should use it wisely: mainly for defense (Rook trying to slam the whole team) and for securing kills (preventing a sigil/a pot/a port). Remember, during the chain-stunning you should be the last man casting. In any case, timing is crucial, just spamming it won't do you much good.
(8) CH - usually an essential skill. However, if that's a no-general (or 1 general not laning against you directly) matchup, you should forego it.
(9) IG 3 - +15% speed and another hps boost. Self-explanatory for a speed/regen build.
(10) Heal 3 - +1200 hp and dispels negative effects. Critical.
(11) Silence 2 - 4 sec duration does make a difference. Also, allows you to Silence -> TP out if absolutely necessary. Usually, it's safer to Silence->run away with a speed build due to the ever-present lag.
Essential gear (trip 2):
TP scroll, Bishops, BoS, Banded/Unbreakables.
Essential gear (trip 3):
Sigil, Scalemail->Hauberk/Nimoth, Vlemish.
Matchups:
Good UBs become dangerous, but you should outrun them; fire TBs can occasionally get annoying, but you should outlast them. Minion builds (QoT and Oak) and Rooks are still the worst of the bunch.

E. Post-mid game (lvls 12-15+):
You are considerably weaker now. However, you have lots of speed and hp, a strong heal, and a great skill-blocker. All these make you a valuable team member and a very safe DG.
Skills:
Pick whatever is most needed ATM. Heal 4 is usually a good idea due to AoE (200 dmg might not seem much, but it helps a lot, especially with NR). Pounce also becomes valuable at this stage, mainly as an additional interrupt for portal-contesting. Silence 3 at 15 is a natural choice.
Gear:
J-Treads, whenever you have enough gold. In a very long run, NR->Girdle of Giants is a nice possibility, but hardly crucial.
Matchups:
Fire TBs cease to pose a serious threat; UBs just get stronger, stay alert. Minion builds and Rooks' power gradually decreases due to your armor+hp accumulation. Watch out for chain stuns: a well-timed Silence will get you out.

3. Summary:

Pros:

- High mobility.

- Good tankability.

- Adequate support capability.

- Extremely good for initiating/luring.

- Super-strong while contesting a hp lane, second only to a tower Rook.

Cons:

- A tricky build relying on advanced tactics and heavy maneuvering. Not easy to play.

- Cannot really kill, except early game. However, can secure kills wonderfully.

Locked Post 33 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 3, 2012 4:56:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is a revision/compilation due to some requests. Pacov, lock the previous thread and update the link in the compendium, please.

April 3, 2012 5:51:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for the write-up ill read it as soon as i got some spare time^^

April 3, 2012 7:05:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

done

April 3, 2012 7:13:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you (:

April 10, 2012 9:37:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks IN1, your guides have kept me above the curve as a noob thus far and I like that you explain your reasoning and tactics in such great detail and don't just tell noobs what to build and expect them to follow blindly.  It personally helps me make better decisions on the fly if I understand why you made one decision and I'm not just following a guide blindly.  I can make educated decisions to do something differently instead of blindly guessing which is very nice.

Just tried this build out and I noticed a measurable improvement in my understanding of Sedna in spite of personally performing poorly.  Thanks again.

April 11, 2012 3:00:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You are welcome (: I'm pleased some people still refer to the strategy guides section here.

April 11, 2012 1:42:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tried this and wun alot! Thanks man!

April 11, 2012 3:35:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and wun alot!

I suppose that was "won a lot". It's actually a huge compliment. I mean, if you can win with this build, it's surely superb.

April 11, 2012 3:51:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

heh in1.  At any rate, kuddos on getting some positive feedback and thanks for taking the time for the write up!

April 11, 2012 5:18:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

CAnt you take a compliment. Its good. It helped me.

April 12, 2012 1:25:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

CAnt you take a compliment. 

>It's actually a huge compliment.

Can't you read?

April 12, 2012 1:50:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I guess in your way you see it as a compiment. Just like Sheldon Cooper

April 12, 2012 7:45:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMGIN1,
CAnt you take a compliment. 

>It's actually a huge compliment.

Can't you read?
lmao can't you even be nice to someone that compliments you?

April 12, 2012 8:51:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think his complimenting my build somehow makes him a likeable figure. Do you disagree?

April 12, 2012 10:02:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its ok. I respect IN1 for his skill and knowlage about this game. He doesnt need to like me.

April 12, 2012 12:52:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMGIN1,

I don't think his complimenting my build somehow makes him a likeable figure. Do you disagree?

wow wow I have no idea what you're talking about right now, you are in a world of your own.

All I'm saying is if someone compliments you on the forum, why do you have to say "Can't you read?" when it's obvious he can and you are further trying to imply incompetence on him?

There is really no need for that. Just as simple as that.

April 12, 2012 12:57:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Zen, really, go back to your infantile "like"-collecting project, unless you have something to say about this particular Sedna build. This thread is not for your semi-literate verbal diarrhoea.

April 12, 2012 2:18:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMGIN1,
Zen, really, go back to your infantile "like"-collecting project, unless you have something to say about this particular Sedna build. This thread is not for your semi-literate verbal diarrhoea.
you know there are forum rules? And how to treat others right?

April 12, 2012 3:29:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And how to treat others right?

I'm going to treat you like a piece of overblown crap you are. You deserve every bit of my comments, and much more. Yes, I know pacov will get me banned, but at least I'm going to say what I really think about you, annoying shit.

April 12, 2012 5:58:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You deserve every bit of my comments

No, he doesn't. Treating other users abusively is not acceptable, period.

April 13, 2012 11:21:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Maulkin,
Its ok. I respect IN1 for his skill and knowlage about this game. He doesnt need to like me.
what skill??? this guy hasnt got any better since I`ve seen him the first time..

April 13, 2012 11:30:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The community can breath easy with IN1 banned for consistent abuse.

It will be like that week he was temp banned and the  community actually started to shine through again. Without someone poping up every thread to be utterly vile to somebody for no reason.

Good riddance I say.

April 13, 2012 2:08:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,
Quoting Maulkin, reply 15Its ok. I respect IN1 for his skill and knowlage about this game. He doesnt need to like me. what skill??? this guy hasnt got any better since I`ve seen him the first time..

Maybe, but I was TERRIBLE in the start. And even after 400 games I only consider myself "mid".

My main problem is speed. I am simply not as clicky clicky fast as the "elite".

However, doing the "right" builds and find my own good DGs have helped me alot.

April 13, 2012 3:01:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Maulkin,
However, doing the "right" builds and find my own good DGs have helped me alot.
that's the way to go, just keep practicing

June 18, 2012 9:40:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[removed]

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: