The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Wasteland 2 (For real! I kid you not!)

By on March 16, 2012 12:45:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brian Fargo has "got the band back together".

He got the licence to Wasteland 2 from EA.

The project has hit the minimum funding point of 900 grand... after 42 hours out of 30some days.

In short - it's a go.

There will be a Wasteland 2, about 25 years after the release of the original!
Additional funds never hurt, though, and all of it is going towards more content, more platforms, more... Wasteland.

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project.

The reward slots have very recently been increased so if you pledge enough, you can again have a statue of yourself or a shrine erected in Wasteland 2.
Immortality can be yours!

Oh, and even without giving them your lunch money, the project video alone is worth watching. =P

+32 Karma | 23 Replies
March 16, 2012 7:56:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Being only 2 years old when this game was released, I'm afraid I missed out on it

What do you think this game will be like? I heard it was a major inspiration for the original Fallout games (which I really liked), would/should it be similar gameplay wise, or is there room to improve?

March 17, 2012 4:17:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It has the same core people so I expect it to be engaging, deep, and flexible.

Details like how the interface will look aren't set in stone. With the budget they are going to be rolling, it can have a lot of content and be pretty.

Won't have cutscenes, though. These cost a lot of money to make and they present a serious roadblock when situations have many possible solutions.
When you are sent to save the princess in the average CRPG, your only option to advance the game is to slay the dragon and save the princess. Period. In ol' Wasteland you might have had the option to bargain with the dragon for the princess and then turn aroudn and sell her to a slaver if he pays more than the king.

Games like Wasteland (and Fallout 1/2) largely don't dictate your character's morality. It's your choice. That's the role-playing bit taken seriously.
So I expect a new game world to... call home. Messed up as it will be.

March 18, 2012 2:04:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've got to say I'm really impressed with the success of some of the kick starter projects.  Here's hoping we see some quality games out of them!

March 19, 2012 7:43:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had never heard about Wasteland but I am a big fan of Fallout 1 & 2 (not tactics nor 3+) so since this is basically the same everything from Fallout, I'm in.

March 22, 2012 6:31:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know about Wasteland's influence on games like Fallout and would love to see a modern adaptation of something like Wasteland.

March 23, 2012 7:49:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heh. It's not just an "influence".

The Wasteland team made Fallout 1 + 2 because the company didn't happen to have the rights to "Wasteland" at the time. =P

March 24, 2012 11:21:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They hit their goal on kick starter of 900k and have currently raised 1.5 mil.  Looks like this is going to happen. 

March 24, 2012 6:22:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

now that it is 1.5 million it will be cross platform to linux and mac, also.

March 25, 2012 2:09:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, wasteland on C64 has and always will be the best game I ever played! Along with Civ.

March 30, 2012 1:21:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

this was just posted on the forums:

inXile to collaborate with Obsidian on the design of Wasteland 2! 

Newport Beach, CA - March 30, 2012 - inXile entertainment confirmed today that they have reached an agreement with award-winning RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment to collaborate on the game design and writing for their Wasteland 2 project if the funding level reaches $2,100,000. Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer Chris Avellone will be working directly with the design team at inXile to help bring the world of Wasteland together. Avellone stated, "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor." Brian Fargo added, “I have a history with the guys at Obsidian that dates back to the days of Interplay’s Black Isle studios. Together we created some of the greatest RPG’s of all time, from Fallout 1 & 2 to titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is great that we now have a chance to reunite on a project like Wasteland 2.” 

In addition to Chris Avellone's help, Obsidian will be lending the experience they have in the development of RPG games and tools to inXile. Fargo believes this collaboration will allow him to focus more energy on the game, “Obsidian has an incredible library of story, dialog and design tools that they have used to create hits like Neverwinter Nights 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, and of course, Fallout: New Vegas. Regardless of the tech we use to develop the game, experience with these tools will help us efficiently design the game without wasting time and resources on the tools needed for development.” 

Wasteland still has 17 days remaining until the Kickstarter funding ends. At this time the project has around 33,000 backers and has raised more than $1,650,000. In addition to the PC version, inXile has officially announced Mac OS X and Linux versions of Wasteland 2. 

InXile is also announcing a solution for everyone who wants to back the project, but who live in a country where backing it on Kickstarter is just not possible. Fargo reports, “We want to let everyone know that we are now accepting PayPal pledges directly though the Wasteland web portal. Some of our biggest fans come from Germany and Eastern Europe, yet they have been unable to support us through the Kickstarter/Amazon pay system. We now have an alternative PayPal site set up for such gamers at Wasteland.inXile-entertainment.com.”

April 9, 2012 12:39:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Backing this game too, there are some cool things being done with Kickstarter - hope this turns out great!

April 9, 2012 2:02:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have, thus far, backed for $100 Wasteland 2, for $50 The Banner Saga, and for $30 Shadowrun Returns.

By the way, Wasteland 2 hit over $2.1m which means they get the tools from Obsidian and Chris Avellone.

Wasteland 2

Banner Saga

Shadowrun Returns
April 9, 2012 2:25:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I so wish that I had any money to spare whatsoever, so I could support the creation of Wasteland 2; if only enough to get the pre-order deal.

I am really, really looking forward to this. I still have high hopes that they'll manage to break 3mil before the end of the Kickstarter campaign.

April 10, 2012 7:57:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I gave them 15$ for this. Hope the game is on time and fun

April 10, 2012 12:12:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
I gave them 15$ for this. Hope the game is on time and fun
If Wasteland 2 is on time, I will sacrifice my firstborn for Wasteland 3.

Games are never on time.
Not the good ones, anyway.

April 10, 2012 2:58:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

18 months out, they have already started pre-production and now they have dev tools from Obsidian. I think it's a realistic time table.

April 11, 2012 3:35:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New video up, pretty solid stuff:

April 13, 2012 5:19:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
April 18, 2012 4:24:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter raised $3.04 million in the end. That means inXile will release mod tools for Wasteland 2 at some stage. If you didn't want to do the Kickstarter thing, but you would like a copy of the game, you can pre-order a DRM-free digital copy of Wasteland 2 here for $20 USD, for Windows, Mac or Linux:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

April 18, 2012 5:16:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I´ve invested 30$. First time i did something like that. Never heard of kickstarter before.

After WoM i´m a little bit concerned about the among of fan input they wanna use. (Frogboy, could you make a call to Brain Fargo and tell him about your exp. with WoM? )

April 18, 2012 11:17:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They already said they won't leave "details" to fan input, just broad strokes. Besides, i would argue FE is better than WoM precisely because of more fan input, not less. I would also rather have fan input as opposed to a production studio deciding what gets put into a game.

April 18, 2012 8:41:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd have to say I don't necessarily agree with what others have asked for in games,  including elemental.  So it's probably a good thing to not leave all the details up to fan input.  

April 18, 2012 8:49:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Supreme Shogun,
I'd have to say I don't necessarily agree with what others have asked for in games,  including elemental.  So it's probably a good thing to not leave all the details up to fan input.  

At the same time, I detest 90% of what production company games have become today, a harmonic balance between fan and creator is necessary.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000687   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.