The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Mass Effect 3 - is it any good?

By on March 6, 2012 9:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried to play ME 2 and i got bored in a middle of it, particularly by mining stupid planets. 

I was not really impressed by the story, but to say the truth i find almost all stories boring after playing so many years - for good stories i read good books  

Thus, is ME 3 in any way different? Better? Great? 

(interested mostly in opinions of experienced players)

+2 Karma | 53 Replies
March 6, 2012 12:08:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How could you say the story's not that good if you didn't finish the game?

I admit, Mass Effect has always has those stupid annoying things to it (mining in 2, driving on planets in the 1st one). But I actually think the story is pretty damn good, for a video game. 

March 6, 2012 12:16:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I admit the Mining is ME2 was super boring and its a big reason I didn't replay it.  I loved the story though.  

March 6, 2012 1:28:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, story bored me along, perhaps it got better right at the end. 

I have to admit that i am picky and i do not judge story in category 'for a video game'. Either it is good, or not. But again, it is my personal taste - I found as well almost all Hollywood movies to be bore, so perhaps i ask for too much. Usually game-play is my main focus, or at times atmosphere - the last game i enjoyed this way was 'Metro'.  

March 6, 2012 1:38:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome game so far. Loving it.

Also I played the multiplayer and my old ass didnt explode from having multiplayer in my single player rpg! Imagine that!

As a matter of fact it was very fun! I also like how its completely optional!

March 6, 2012 2:49:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also enjoying it. Music is great, loving the store and characters (yes I agree books usually have better story but its good for a game and the story is better than ME2). Insanity is fun with my infiltrator.

Mining is gone you basically shot a probe into a system and see if you find something. If the system is reaper occupied you have to watch how many probes you shot out otherwise they come in system to case you down. You only need to collect war assets for the final battle.

Combat is better than ME2. Ya its has a few rough edges but its solid (ie running to revive a buddy near a wall your character wants to take cover and not revive.) Glad they brought back upgrades and lots more guns. Also I am glad you can't just wait for your health to come back. If you get hurt enough you only get a bar of health. Medpacks only restore parts of your health. 

Ok I need to get back to ME3.

March 6, 2012 3:06:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bpalczewski,
Well, story bored me along

ME 1 bored me a bit with the story.  I got into the story in 2 much more.  Think I'm going to wait a bit to pick up ME 3 though.  I'm debating picking it up on the 360 for the silly voice controls (actually seem implemented ok), but I'll prob pick it up on PC during a sale.

March 6, 2012 6:03:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It pretty badly bashed on Metacritics as of now ...

LOL, 4.7 that's really, really bad, means lots of fans disappointed  

March 6, 2012 6:24:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bpalczewski,
It pretty badly bashed on Metacritics as of now ...

LOL, 4.7 that's really, really bad, means lots of fans disappointed  

Or many people with personal vendettas going on. Nothing new on the irrelevant/pointless Metacritic. Not that I couldn't go to Metacritic and give it a 0 just because it doesn't have a button to skip combat entirely. Or because they didn't design the game to my specifications. I don't deny that the game may have issues (I don't know as the game doesn't release for my yet, but I suppose that as BioWare game, it'll have issues).

Also, "fans" are overrated.

March 6, 2012 6:43:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I never pay attention to player's reviews.  People bitch and moan about critics, but the Metacritic score is usually pretty solid.  The user scores are all over the map.  

March 6, 2012 9:45:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I usually do contrary - i do not pay too much attention to final score, which is average, but i seek the reasons. I like b/c of this, i can't stand b/c of this, then i make my judgment. I ignore stupid ones like: 'game is sooooo baaaaad !!! 'After couple of decent solid reviews I have a general feeling whether particular game will fit my preferences and often I have found fans' reviews more adequate, at least for me. And objectivity of critics is sometimes questionable - you live out of this business .... How come critics don't rave about dwarfs' fortress? Or dominions? Only major title make the cut, for most of the time, and if you are critic and you played, I guess, non-stop your taste should be a little bit more refined ... 

March 6, 2012 9:50:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dominons 3 has a Metacritic of 82.  Although Dwarf Fortress has no critic reviews, so I give you that.

March 6, 2012 10:13:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I go by the critic reviews generally.  Typically the overall consensus there fits with how I like games.  The user stuff can just be trolls being trolls.

March 6, 2012 10:56:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah "reviews" are a tough nut to crack. I'm way more forgiving in my games. Things that someone might dock a game for like a couple points might not bother me. At the end of the day not matter how professional or not its usually just an opinion.

Your enjoyment of Mass Effect 3 depends largely on whether or not you enjoyed the first two as all. Or more if you enjoyed 2 more than 1 as its closer to 2. 

March 6, 2012 11:46:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StormbringerGT,
Or more if you enjoyed 2 more than 1 as its closer to 2.

that's what I figured it would be like.  Thanks!

March 8, 2012 2:04:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gonna pick up ME 3 later this week. Agree i liked ME 2 better than 1. ME 2 i can replay it and still enjoy the game (minus the mining of course all agree that sucks). ME 1 was "OK" considering it was the first of the series, and introducing us to the characters, and universe. It was also plagued with the problems of being 1st of the series. Despite that i enjoyed it anyway. People called ME 1 a "beta" of ME 2. ME 2 was one of the very few games i thought was much better than the original. So I am glad to hear ME 3 is more like ME 2 as well.

March 8, 2012 2:39:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't have it, but it is probably a good game. I think trolls are trolling because of Dragon Age 2, still. Yet that would be their right. I've never played DA2 but the evidence is enough to claim that Bioware went too far with that one and deserves the fallout, at least as far as consumers' trust goes.

March 8, 2012 10:24:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do own and play through DA2, and yes it was a disappointment considering I played through Origins 11 times, but after beating DA2 once, I can't even will myself to play it again.

March 8, 2012 11:11:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Metacritic user score is the only score worth checking. Just add +2.0 to whatever it says to equal -2.0 they get from people that give 1 while emotional.

ME3 is pretty bad when compared to ME2 and especially ME1. If comparing ME series to Dragon Age series I would put DAO = ME1, ME2 somewhere in between DAO and DA2, and ME3 = DA2.

Every pixel is where it should be, all sounds are good, voice acting is as it should be. What ME3 lacks is engaging story, better conversations, better quests, less linearity and a decision to make its combat a RPG or FPS as now it neither is it sucks big time.

March 8, 2012 5:08:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm, I'm reading some more user reviews and it does seem like they rushed this one too. Less characters, less dialogue, less options, less polish. I trust users more than the obligatory string of 90+ of paid reviewers. They don't even bother to pretend anymore. If you want to know about a game's flaws, you have to ask the users (a decent number of them is enough to form a fair idea). 

I don't know what kind of high level strategy Bioware is attempting. What I can say is, as far as I'm concerned, it ain't working.

March 8, 2012 6:28:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Remember, Bioware is very diluted these days.

March 8, 2012 6:46:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I stopped trusting players when they flooded the internet with anti-Fallout 3 garbage.  It seems like they find a few things they hate about a game, probably through reading about it, not playing and then go on some kind of Asperger hyperbolic tirade on every forum, and then the lemming basement dwelling troglodytes who find it hip to hate shit join in.

March 9, 2012 2:53:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well F3 is garbage (when compared to F1 & 2). I tried it for 1h and uninstalled.

March 9, 2012 3:34:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
Well F3 is garbage (when compared to F1 & 2). I tried it for 1h and uninstalled.

So you didnt even finish the tutorial part?

Your opinion on this is worthless.

March 9, 2012 5:15:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like ME3 but the graphics are disappointing.

It's not that it's ugly, it's just not up to par with other current gen titles.  Dragon Age 2 looked better post DX11 patch...hope they'll do that here too.

I'm basically taking it one mission at a time so it's going to be a long time before I finish, methinks.  Lots of other games on my plate.  Munch munch.

Some of the plot bits are hilariously corny.  The interactions with random people on the Citadel are a little strange, but it's cool.

Overall?  It's not the most entertaining game I'm in the middle of, but it is still quite good.

March 9, 2012 7:10:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So glad they brought the Faunts back! I am just listening to the music in my bonus content and looking at the art work. Gonna have lots of time later this summer to make case studies.   I seriously need to stop listening to the music and play the damn game GRR!!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.