The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New battle arena Modded Demigod Generation.

By on February 8, 2012 11:55:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/ edit - idea scrapped.

+16 Karma | 18 Replies
February 9, 2012 12:08:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My standard eventually became the enhanced AI mod, enhanced ui, and uberfix.  And I always welcomed having an AI teammate (how great is it knowing that, if nothing else, you can 100% of the time count on your teammate to buy upgrades?  Its like a brand new game and you can change your strategies accordingly.

Anyway, I love modded games.  All you really need is one halfway decent opponent and you can have a great time by adding in some ai's, etc.  Those were my fav's back when I was active.

February 9, 2012 12:11:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh  - I'd totally come back and play a game with you and your bro like this.  You and him + 1 AI vs me + 2 AIs.  I think that would be a blast.  If you want to set something up, let me know.  I'm EST, but I'd gladly get a game going with you and your bro sometime soon.  I don't know that I'd win, ofc, but I'm sure it would be fun for all of us.

February 9, 2012 3:38:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sounds like fun

ill definitely join those kind of matches since im pretty much bored of normal ones^^

February 9, 2012 4:07:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lukas, I suspect you understand very well why the only maps considered pro are Cata for 2v2/3v3, and Levi for 4v4. Hint: that's not because pro players shit themselves just thinking of your and your brother's mad skillz (:

Every other map is inherently flawed to a degree of being totally unbalanced. Now, if we are aiming for pure fun/"sick of Cata" games, I'm ready to play even on Exile. But I wouldn't present it as a viable alternative to the balanced maps.

February 9, 2012 4:17:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMGIN1,

Every other map is inherently flawed to a degree of being totally unbalanced.

Why is that ? What makes other maps imba? 

February 9, 2012 4:37:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/edit idea scrapped

February 9, 2012 5:57:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Both hedgie and LO were quite ver... eloquent on the subject over the years (; Use the search function.

I still think Levi, not Cata, is the best designed map. Unfortunately, it's too big for 3v3s.

February 9, 2012 9:37:14 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Yeah, I def couldn't do the 5AM EST stuff, but I'm down for doing something on a sat between 4PM EST and 10PM EST.  That's quite doable. 

February 9, 2012 12:11:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I've been away for a bit, but I'll gladly try and play bal mod online when I can.

February 9, 2012 2:47:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nt

February 9, 2012 3:06:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. The "pro" players are too scared to lower their win% so will not take the chance they could lose a game with ai on their team.

No no no. The AI is too good, so it is always better to take an AI instead of any 'pro' player.

2. you can't rage at AI.

Yes, you can, but doing it often is not good for your health.

3. you can't tell ai what to do.

Again, I can tell, but will it do? Maybe. I need some command to AI, like writing "/help", so it would stop doing whatever it did and came to my help as fast, as possible.

Rule #1 in games with AI. Never target AI as it is in all ways better/stronger/more intelligent/faster than you (or than me at least, when I play 1v1). That's what I've learned from playing with and against the AI.

Also, I love games with at least uberfix as there is no better feeling, than drinking a potion AND not getting myself maimed. Of course many other similar reasons also.

We should play some Mandala with sedna, which has magnificent presence, some assassins with staff of renewal and lots of portals/locks/speed items. Those minions there are such a huge power, which cannot be seen in any other map.

Quoting Annon_,

All others are just not to people likes, so they say that they are unbalanced. Like some people don't like the gap in Crucible. Or too few portals in Exile. Or too many in Mandala or... list goes on to the end of time.

Quoting Running_Lukas_79,
This sunday(for me) I'll jump on at about 4pm SATURDAY EST time and see if anything is going on, but will only have time for a game or two.

I might play, if I won't forget.

February 9, 2012 3:22:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Random comment on the ai - you actually can (SOMETIMES) direct the AI.  Selecting the AI and then pining in a direction will occasionally guide the AI.  It's not consistent, but it does work to a degree.  Pretty sure it only works depending on the AI's current "desires" though.  I think this was some code that was only partially developed while they were building the game.

February 9, 2012 4:23:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Random comment on the ai - you actually can (SOMETIMES) direct the AI. Selecting the AI and then pining in a direction will occasionally guide the AI. It's not consistent, but it does work to a degree. Pretty sure it only works depending on the AI's current "desires" though. I think this was some code that was only partially developed while they were building the game.

I remember we were trying this out to some degree with some hilarious results 1v1 + an AI each. Did you ever nail down why the behavior was so erratic?

February 9, 2012 4:48:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting doggu,
Did you ever nail down why the behavior was so erratic?

No - I do love shouting at the AI when it won't respond to the pings.  I'm pretty sure its just the way the ai's were coded.  The ai is more of less told what's important to it.  We force some hard overrides in there so that it shops when we want it to, etc.  But outside of that, the AI has baked in desires.  I just think that the respond to ping desire isn't as strong as some others... and I don't think the code was ever fully implemented.  I think someone, during dev, really wanted to be able to control the AI's decision's on the fly (and override the AI logic).  I think they put a little time into developing the code but never got around to perfecting it (as the ai logic obviously took a back door at some point).  Just hypothetically, ofc.

February 9, 2012 5:27:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've always wanted to play a game with you pacov.  This sounds like a good opportunity, but my schedule that day is unknown.  And I don't mind playing with ai and stuff.

February 10, 2012 7:20:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had another AI mod idea if you genius modders know how.... What about a "Gifting AI" mod, where AI drops items near the base instead of selling them to swap out.  This would kerb the AI escalation with artifacts and such and put some more gold in the pool for the humans...maybe breaking but sounds like fun.

And I noticed AI doesn't seem to pick up items I drop on the ground.

February 10, 2012 7:44:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No no no. The AI is too good, so it is always better to take an AI instead of any 'pro' player.

Actually, I've played a game where marchidanu dropped on loading screen in such a way no sound was heard. Then, for 20 minutes, no one noticed it's an AI playing UB.

February 10, 2012 9:12:42 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Running_Lukas_79,
What about a "Gifting AI" mod

This should be possible (methinks anyway).  That said, I have no intention of doing any more development on the AI mod at this point (or another stand along mod).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000468   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.