Well, just don’t act surprised. Where’d I put the tar and feathers?

By on January 26, 2012 12:13:03 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2257

They can’t get over the power they have over people. These examples of how we should conduct ourselves and our lives and via “sundry” laws shred the Constitution “for our benefit and security”.

Now some lawmakers in Hawaii want to pass a law that would force ISP’s to keep track of your visits:

Hawaii's legislature is weighing an unprecedented proposal to curb the privacy of Aloha State residents: requiring Internet providers to keep track of every Web site their customers visit.

John Mizuno, a Democratic state legislator in Hawaii, wants to require virtual dossiers to be compiled on state residents: two years' worth of their Internet browsing. Its House of Representatives has scheduled a hearing this morning on a new bill (link to PDF) requiring the creation of virtual dossiers on state residents. The measure, H.B. 2288, says "Internet destination history information" and "subscriber's information" such as name and address must be saved for two years.” - http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57366443-281/hawaii-may-keep-track-of-all-web-sites-visited/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver via http://www.neowin.net/news/proposed-hawaii-bill-would-keep-track-of-citizens-web-visits

To me, this is yet another effort to destroy the Fourth Amendment… another politician seeking fame.

Make your views known to your representatives… lest they become “inspired” as well.

Locked Post 31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2012 12:15:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What a nightmare to freedom and democracy.

January 26, 2012 3:20:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm starting to think these legislatures are incapable of dealing with any of the problems they need to deal with, so they're running about looking for a can to kick.

January 26, 2012 3:30:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And who's can is getting kicked ...... ours. How do Hawaiians feel about it? Think they'll rise up and do what was done concerning SOPA and PIPA?

January 26, 2012 3:41:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

just more BS politicians trying to re-wright the Constitution

January 26, 2012 3:45:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Get that tar good and hot.

We already know where to stick the rail.

January 26, 2012 3:58:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think if we brought home all the Iraq and Afghanistan vets and let them trade places with Congress for a year--then let the congressmen they replaced go to Afghanistan and fill their billets for that year--we could start to thin out some of the politics.  We could let the survivors run for re-election afterwards.

I have a dream.

January 26, 2012 5:59:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
What a nightmare to freedom and democracy.

What democracy?

The world went to war against Hitler to prevent totalitarianism.... are here we are, some 70 years later, entering another period of dictatorial powers, fueled by greedy and mega rich business concerns whose desire it is to have total control over the wealth of  the world.

For mine, any politician who cow-tows to big business is a spineless coward and as corrupt as a virus ravaged PC file.

Government by the people for the people.... hasn't existed in decades, and there isn't a single politician holding office these days worth a pinch of shit.

January 26, 2012 6:31:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@starkers--fortunately for us those other great democratic institutions like China , North Korea, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Iran still exist.  They're so much better.  Whew, I was really worried a bit there.

I'm concerned too but there is a big divide between a genuine dictatorship and oppressive regime and Western democracies.  Still a chance to change things.

January 26, 2012 6:32:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I thought you guys were in the land of the free? Is'nt freedom baked right into your rights? What gives these days with short sighted nobodies trying to rip that freedom away?

I guess, as Doc said, it's just a two bit obscure never amount to nothing politician trying to get his name attached to a viral campaign, but eventually one of these stupid laws will actually gain some traction and everything will go FUBAR.

January 26, 2012 6:44:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
@starkers--fortunately for us those other great democratic institutions like China , North Korea, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Iran still exist. They're so much better. Whew, I was really worried a bit there.

To be frank, I think you have reason to be worried.... what with this latest absurdity, SOPA, the MPIAA and MIAA all seeking power and control over the lives and incomes of US AND world citizens.... the fact that they've bought and paid for corrupt politicians to be their puppets.  Believe me, things are going to get a whole lot worse before they become entirely dictatorial and totally oppressive.

January 26, 2012 7:12:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Government by the people for the people.... hasn't existed in decades, and there isn't a single politician holding office these days worth a pinch of shit.

Longer, actually. Too right, old friend. From the telly in ancient Rome:

January 26, 2012 8:03:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Much of the ranting above exemplifies the classic mistake of conflating a set member with a full set. Idiots abound everywhere, and their presence in the ranks of elected officials is no excuse for wallowing in broad-brush bitching instead of directly engaging your elected representatives about specific policy issues that matter to you.

My rant aside, the news from EFF is that this particular tempest in a teapot probably never passed tropical depression status. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/hawaiian-data-retention-bill-would-force-internet-companies-spy-users’-browsing

(I give EFF money when I'm doing well. From the tone of the rants above, many of you probably should do the same.) 

January 27, 2012 7:17:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
Idiots abound everywhere, and their presence in the ranks of elected officials is no excuse for wallowing in broad-brush bitching instead of directly engaging your elected representatives about specific policy issues that matter to you.

Ah, but you don't live where I do, and my elected official has so much wax in his ears that no amount of direct bitching is gonna make a difference.

Oh, and the "wax" is purely this story teller's poetic license... what I meant to say is that the bastard just doesn't listen and goes about 'his' business regardless.

That's the trouble with the world... politicians with so-called 'safe' seats.... there's no incentive for them to give a shit about anyone but themselves.

January 27, 2012 10:52:16 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting starkers,
Ah, but you don't live where I do, and my elected official has so much wax in his ears that no amount of direct bitching is gonna make a difference.

Ah, but I seem to have fell into an unusual trap for a political scientist--I was concise to a fault. My notion of direct engagement doesn't require that any of my representatives be clearly interested in opinions from people like me.

My current member of the U.S. House has never answered any of my correspondence with anything other than form letters that amount to "We noticed that you wrote, but we don't have time or interest in responding thoughtfully. Here's a canned chunk of stuff that we hope makes you think we're doing a good job for you in Congress." 

When that's your situation, direct engagement means working to unseat the uppity incumbent. One of the things I did in that regard was to aggressively support efforts in Florida to limit gerrymandering. We won the state constitutional amendment fight, but it still isn't quite clear how that win will play out in the actual redistricting process. With luck, I'll be in a new district this year and have a chance of electing a member who might be at least marginally sympathetic to my policy preferences. 

January 28, 2012 12:31:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
With luck, I'll be in a new district this year and have a chance of electing a member who might be at least marginally sympathetic to my policy preferences.

Good luck with that.... trouble here is, no party or representative has the better interests of the electors at heart.  Once the seat is theirs, it's a case of: "My, how things have changed, we have a new MP", yet they stay pretty much the same with regard to us.

January 28, 2012 1:00:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think it has to do with the type of personality. People that excel in politics are backstabbing, dishonest, disloyal, power hungry assholes. Not a place for for the typical do-gooder to get a foothold in. From what I understand, if someone in politics doesn't play 'the game' they are pushed to the back benches and can't do anything.

January 28, 2012 1:25:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How true... and eventually they resign because no good can come of their ideals.

January 28, 2012 2:45:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
I think it has to do with the type of personality. People that excel in politics are backstabbing, dishonest, disloyal, power hungry assholes. Not a place for for the typical do-gooder to get a foothold in. From what I understand, if someone in politics doesn't play 'the game' they are pushed to the back benches and can't do anything.

I say bring back the good ol' days of hereditary rule...that should solve the problem...

In all honesty though, George Washington (and his Cabinet) are often considered the best of America's presidencies...and the key difference between him and his successors is that Washington didn't really want to be president...

January 28, 2012 3:24:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They wanted to build a robust nation back in the day, the cult of self over others would come later.

January 28, 2012 7:40:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting myfist0,
People that excel in politics are backstabbing, dishonest, disloyal, power hungry assholes.

So you've met our former Illinois Governor? He excelled in all that, but not in covering it up.

January 28, 2012 10:21:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Back in the day we did have our share of swindlers. They often got tarred and feathered. Then they got smart and stopped selling snake oil and started selling promises.

January 28, 2012 10:51:10 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
In all honesty though, George Washington (and his Cabinet) are often considered the best of America's presidencies...and the key difference between him and his successors is that Washington didn't really want to be president...

We still have clean elections in the U.S., so the real people to blame are the citizens who keep returning 'despicable' people to office. 

The truly vexing irony for many political scientists is that long-term opinion research shows a consistent cognitive dissonance between assessments of individual members of Congress and Congress as a whole. Currently, a vast majority hold Congress in extremely low regard, but a majority are also satisfied with the House and Senate members who represents them.

p.s. Even today, there are relatively honest 'do-gooders' in office at all levels, especially in local governments. At the federal level, they are few in number and don't get much press because they are not active in the rhetorical trench warfare that has replaced civility in both houses of Congress. Our media (of all sorts) should probably get the second biggest share of blame because chasing ratings/sales has trumped quality investigative reporting for decades now.

January 28, 2012 1:51:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I actually correspond regularly with my senators and until the housing crisis got regular, real replies back--now I get form responses.

Interestingly, the Republicans were always quick to respond and it wasn't uncommon not to hear back from the Democrats--now it's reversed.  I hear from the Democrats and not the Republicans.

If you want to have a real impact other than starting a public campaign, watch for the times your representative has set aside for local matters in your area.  Often they will have a small office and be open there for a day or two every month or so.

Call there office to make an appointment either way.  That really gets their attention.

January 28, 2012 2:10:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
If you want to have a real impact other than starting a public campaign, watch for the times your representative has set aside for local matters in your area. Often they will have a small office and be open there for a day or two every month or so.

Call there office to make an appointment either way. That really gets their attention.

1) Until they check your credit rating.

2) The Secret Service's too.

January 28, 2012 2:33:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

In all honesty though, George Washington (and his Cabinet) are often considered the best of America's presidencies...and the key difference between him and his successors is that Washington didn't really want to be president...

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Never employ those who seek power but those who do not wish it yet can handle the responsibility.

On a side-note, 

The world is run by puppets on strings, nothing is what it seems, shadows behind every corner, there is no escape, those who resist will be eliminated, those who know the truth will be silenced. 
The world is run by puppets on strings, the shadows who move them are in plain sight, but all do not see

People often do not heed warnings, instead disregard them as ravings of a mad-man. Seems pointless to speak year after year, yet still hope lingers.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.