The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

WC mobile web version

By on December 13, 2011 5:16:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

More and more people are using their android device or iphone to access online content. Perhaps it would be in wincustomize's interest to consider developing a mobile web version of the site.

Apparently irrelevant.

+609 Karma | 37 Replies
December 13, 2011 6:37:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

December 13, 2011 6:47:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Definitely would be a nice thing to have available.

December 13, 2011 6:55:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

id skin it. wikked idea tim.

December 13, 2011 7:45:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it could be done easily and cheaply I'd be all for it, but since all the apps and skins are for Windows PCs, spending resources on mobile does not make as much sense.

December 13, 2011 8:06:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
but since all the apps and skins are for Windows PCs

Time to expand.

Wallpapers are easy. (Why isn't there a gallery for mobile wallpapers?) How similar are the Live Wallpapers to Dreamscapes?

Someone must be looking into or working on apps and/or widgets.

It's not just the skins though. I think folks would be interested in a mobile version of the forums.

December 13, 2011 8:15:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd like to have a mobile-friendly site, but it's hard to justify when the amount of people who actually visit the site is such a very, very small number.  

December 13, 2011 8:22:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Might be viewed as an investment in growing that number a good deal... especially if Sound Packager could be expanded to have ring tones as well?

December 13, 2011 10:35:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like a mobile version of the (elemental) forums. The background takes quite a while to load when I don't have wifi, and I haven't been able to post a reply using my smartphone at all..

December 13, 2011 11:00:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
I think folks would be interested in a mobile version of the forums.

That's actually what I was thinking about for now.

Quoting PoSmedley,
Time to expand.

Wallpapers are easy. (Why isn't there a gallery for mobile wallpapers?) How similar are the Live Wallpapers to Dreamscapes?

Someone must be looking into or working on apps and/or widgets.

December 13, 2011 11:01:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DA has a mobile friendly version already.

December 13, 2011 11:05:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WC does okay on my iPad, but I can imagine it does not do well on smart phones. Some features are limited when I try to access the forums on my iPad, like emotes; and relplying can be a bit clunky too.

I sometimes like to view skins and updates on my iPad, even though I wait to DL them until I'm at my PC.

December 13, 2011 11:13:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,
Quoting PoSmedley,
reply 5
I think folks would be interested in a mobile version of the forums.

That's actually what I was thinking about for now.

Harley might have been working on something like that for WCNews, or skin notifications... he and I talked about it several months ago.

December 13, 2011 11:13:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My 2-cents...

Like Zubaz said, it makes no sense doing that since WC is a Windows Customization Site.

As for the forums... well, with all of the existing ranting and complaining about the forums why would you want to further muddy the waters and have more to complain about? Plus, I find typing on a smart phone to be ok for txt messaging by I certainly wouldn't want to use it for more in depth things. I don't think there is a forum on the planet that I NEED to use my phone to access. That's why I have a PC and laptops.

December 13, 2011 11:14:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Mirsguy,
can imagine it does not do well on smart phones. Some features are limited when I try to access the forums on my iPad, like emotes; and relplying can be a bit clunky too

I am unable to use the reply box on my HTC android device. Plus.....zooming in every time the page changes is a pain.

December 13, 2011 11:17:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
Plus, I find typing on a smart phone to be ok for txt messaging by I certainly wouldn't want to use it for more in depth things. I don't think there is a forum on the planet that I NEED to use my phone to access. That's why I have a PC and laptops.

I'm sure this will change for many in the not too distant future....it's only a matter of time.

December 13, 2011 11:33:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

I am unable to use the reply box on my HTC android device. Plus.....zooming in every time the page changes is a pain.

Same here, on my Samsung Galaxy.

December 13, 2011 11:51:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,
DA has a mobile friendly version already.
Do you mean malware infested version? There is a difference ya know...that version doesn't worry the mobile users so much...lol.   

December 13, 2011 11:57:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can post here from my Toshiba Thrive tablet.

December 13, 2011 8:54:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was surprised that WinCustomize didn't have a mobile version.  I tried running WC on my new Android Smartphone today to check on my new screenshot, and I had to zoom in a few times before typing in the search box.  WC does indeed need a mobile version of the site.

Like migrating from Windows XP to Seven, this site needs to get with the times and develop a mobile version (even if it's limited).  That's just my two cents.

December 13, 2011 9:21:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting VistArtXPosed,
get with the times and develop a mobile version

ditto

I understand that current traffic to the site may be deemed 'too low' to justify such a move...but in as far as encouraging more people to come to the site, not doing it seems like more of a step back

December 13, 2011 9:34:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Start uplozding mobile-sized wallpapers.  Drive traffic and see what happens.

December 14, 2011 8:40:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Start uplozding mobile-sized wallpapers.

I can't find the 'uplozding' link.

December 14, 2011 8:58:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
I understand that current traffic to the site may be deemed 'too low' to justify such a move...but in as far as encouraging more people to come to the site, not doing it seems like more of a step back

Most people are coming to the site to download WB skins, CFX skins, etc.  That really doesn't have much use on a mobile device considering many can't handle file downloads and transfers. 

I have encouraged people to start uploading mobile sized wallpapers, but very few have actually done it.  

December 14, 2011 12:52:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well never mind then. Sorry I brought it up......

December 14, 2011 7:52:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a few ideas.  First off, the mobile site will mostly be used when traveling anyway, so why not just download the files to a MicroSD card or wirelessly sync your mobile device with your PC? Or WC/Stardock could have a cloud-based service so you'll have all your downloaded files with you, no matter what platform you're on. (It'll save the trouble of re-downloading again on the PC)

Or why doesn't Android or iOS create/support a Windows emulator so that way WindowBlinds, IconPackager, DesktopX, and Deskscapes could still be used on a mobile devices (mainly tablets rather than smartphones)?  A 10 inch tablet screen is large enough to run Windows.   I would love to have Customizable, Vista-Sized (128 or 256px) vector icons on a moblie device.  Default icons on mobile devices are pretty lame with no diversification.  They all use the same graphic-style.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.