The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc

By on November 29, 2011 1:07:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

OP updated 6/7/2012

Well, I started a thread  back in August (http://forums.joeuser.com/411269/) that's seen a lot of activity and actually had quite a few good bits of information for new and old players alike.  I figure it's time to start a new thread and perhaps keep the OP up-to-date with useful information, etc.  Feel free to use this post for any LoL discussion, etc.

Super fast background:  I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust.  Back in August 2011 or so, I started getting heavily involved in LoL and folks have been kind enough to chime in with tips and links to various sites that have been quite useful to me.  In addition, I've been able to keep up with folks that I've played Demigod with in the past and meet some new folks that play LoL and frequent these message boards. 

Here's some of the things I've learned in the previous thread:

• Added 12/5/2011:  For anyone that is level 30 with an account in good standing, you can participate in the tribunal.  This is a system that was setup by riot to allow the community to police their own.  In short, you get to review cases where players have been reported and recommend that a player is forgiven or punished for their behavior.  Check it out here:  http://na.leagueoflegends.com/Tribunal
  • You can view players stats here:  http://www.lolstatistics.com/ (thanks darkliath!) - this is a useful way to get info on your previous matches and to look up players if you like
  • You can often find some great live streams here:  http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/stream/ .  Watching good players as they pug or play with teammates helps me learn the best.  I highly recommended firing up some of these streams and watching some of the top players go at it.  Great learning tool.  
  • You can save your replays and view them whenever you like or upload them. Go here to get the necessary software:  http://www.leaguereplays.com/download/ and then go here for more info on how it works:  http://leagueofreplays.com/faq.php .  Took me about 3 minutes to figure out and setup.  Very simple and then you always have a small replay file (2-5 megs) including all the details from your game (items/kills, etc - and you even see all of the in game chat).  This also makes it MUCH easier to go back and watch how another person plays if they did a great job or figure out where you messed up and then improve.
  • Sites that are great for player build guides, etc: www.solomid.net and www.mobafire.com
  • An excellent site with guides and up-to-date info on one of the better competative teams, CLG:  www.clgaming.net
  • Folks from DG that play LoL - pacov, zex, zen_god, jona, thundercles, hedgie, trouser, orcun, mith, misterhankey, morpheas, mcshane, darkliath - probably quite a few more that I can't think of at the moment
  • Added 12/5/2011:  You can get a free unchained alistar skin - this also gives you the character for free as well.  See here:  http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45610/t1685348-free-unchained-alistar-skin/
  • Added 06/7/2012:  You can get the riot girl Tristana skin for free by following Riot's youtube channel.  This also unlocks the character for you.

New Player tips

• Play the tutorial.  Seriously.  Play the tutorial.
  • Riot gives you some RP after you play your first game or so.  It's enough to buy some skins, a boost, or a cheap character.  You'll typically notice this a little after you play your first game.
  • Learn to last hit!  Last hitting is simply landing the last hit on creeps.  If you last hit, you get gold for that kill.  You will need to learn when you should push a lane and when you should just last hit (this means DO NOT attack the creep wave, just let the creeps fight each other and then snag a last hit whenever possible) - the number of creeps you have killed is tracked in a value called CS.  You can see that number at any time by pressing tab
  • Added 06/07/2012 - Sometimes its good to do some damage on a tower.  Sometimes not so much.  Understanding the difference is huge.  For instance, if you manage to kill one or two of the enemies and there is no one in the lane, consider pushing your creep wave to the tower and retreating.  Any creep that dies to the tower is experience and gold that you have denied the enemy.  Doing this right gives you an advantage and ensures the creeps are in a good spot when you come back from the shop.
  • Read some guides on any character you want to try out.  The recommended builds (what you see when you go to a shop) are not optimal.  The guides include item suggestions and skill orders.  These are very useful in learning decent ways to build characters
  • Added 12/5/2011:  So, you know you can't get level 3 runes until you hit level 20?  Well, guess what - that's not entirely true.  Hedgie came up with a way to get level 3 runes at any point.  The bad news, its random.  Here's what you do.  You will need 375 IP.  Buy any tier 1 rune that costs 15 IP.  You need to purchase 25 of these.  Click on your rune page.  In the bottom right hand corner there is a button called the Rune Combiner.  If you place 5 runes in there, you can get a random rune that is 1 tier higher (eg if you have 5 tier 1 runes, you will get 1 random tier 2 rune.  Anyway, the math works out such that you spend 375 IP ( buy 25 tier 1 15 IP runes) and you get 1 completely random tier 3 rune.  Some of the quintessences are 2k IP, so if you luck out and get one of those, you just won the lottery.  Anyway, its not the best system as its completely random, but it does work and does give you a chance to get tier 3 runes at any time.  Another thing to consider, you can always keep the random tier 2 rune if it happens you ended up with a good deal or got something you need.  Going that route, you spend 375 IP and would have 5 random tier 2 runes.  That's fairly cost effective for 375 IP.
  • Added 12/5/2011:  Consider saving IP for when you hit level 30.  Having tier 3 runes is a reasonable advantage.  If you don't save now, I guarantee you are going to be a little sorry when you hit level 30 and spend all your time slowly unlocking runes.
  • 8/8/2012 - Vlad posted a really good vid (also pretty short) that provides some advanced tactics for mid lane.  Worth a watch.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjIXj0OKwhE&feature=plcp

If you can think of anything else that would be good to add to the OP, let me know.  Thanks!

Great site I visit every day for LoL related news - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends

+173 Karma | 2023 Replies
September 28, 2012 1:23:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

dreams of a world where riot gets some licensed skins from marvel:

September 28, 2012 2:39:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's an udyr jungle guide from a former demigod player - wallstop.

http://www.lolpro.com/guides/udyr/365-udyr-build-guide-jungle-tiger-stance-by-wallstop

September 28, 2012 3:28:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would totally buy a Spidermumu skin and I have yet to buy any skins!

September 29, 2012 12:39:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

time well spent imo - give it a watch

September 29, 2012 6:15:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

clever

September 29, 2012 1:43:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Here's an udyr jungle guide from a former demigod player - wallstop.

http://www.lolpro.com/guides/udyr/365-udyr-build-guide-jungle-tiger-stance-by-wallstop

Yeah, thats the counter jungling Udyr build.  I don't really like counter jungle Udyr is solo queue.  It would be good in premades though if you had a good mid.

September 30, 2012 12:32:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

mayhaps, karl - I suck at jungle, so I'll leave that to you, but the early kill potential is higher anyway with tiger (that said, I'd play jungle udyr with phoenix as well for the fast clears).

Anywho... draven.  I heart draven.  I used to think he was rot, but now I love him as an adc.  He has higher dmg potential than any adc early and he's the only adc that can peel for himself.  Now, that won't save you from a good jungle gank, but it can give you a GIGANTIC advantage (above and beyond ANY other adc) late game. Here's why.  And again, if you think I'm crazy, fine, but think about the following.  The current holy trinity of adc's is ez, graves and corki.  Why?  #1 reason is an evade (dash/flash).  After that, its any char that has a steroid (as/ad, etc).  Corki doesn't have that like graves or ez.  So, what does draven have?  He has a steroid ability that can be cast every 2 seconds or so if he catches an axe.  More importantly, he has an ability that displaces anyone attacking him (acting as a temp stun).  This means if 2 characters dive for the back row, you can knock them away and keep attacking them.  The main thing is that his ability typically keeps those enemies in range for him to hit (while ez/corki/graves as often out of position a little and cannot continue to attack).  This means that with draven, you can continue to do more damage than other adc even after you would normally have had to flash away.  So, ez/graves/corki are superior in that they can escape more easily, but draven is even better.  He can escape easily because of his displace/steroid.  he can also engage or stay in a fight more easily because of his displace/steroid.  And he does more dmg than other adcs.  So, I honestly think his potential is > than any other adc.  It gets even better.  No one bans him.  Super.  This means I can have ez banned out and reduce the champs that can go against me to graves/corki.  Draven can out damage them as well.  And last, riot will likely give a quality of life buff (this only matters for early game) to him in the form of the enemy not seeing that icon that shows where his axe will land.

Anyway - I draven.  I'm not amazing with him yet, but I believe I'm slowly getting better and better.  I feel more confident with him than any other adc currently at any rate. 

September 30, 2012 8:28:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Peter likes trash talking in the chat box (I think?).  Maybe you can try some of that and see how he responds?  One game he went eve jungle and was doing only ok, and getting raged on a lot, but he was getting lots of kills and was doing lots of good damage and trashing the mid/top and the team went ahead and won it.

September 30, 2012 12:15:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bryff,
Peter likes trash talking in the chat box (I think?).  Maybe you can try some of that and see how he responds?  One game he went eve jungle and was doing only ok, and getting raged on a lot, but he was getting lots of kills and was doing lots of good damage and trashing the mid/top and the team went ahead and won it.

apparently pete thinks karl/vlad are trolling him.  As I typically play with those fellows, mr pete can't often play with me.  Anyway, I assume we'll just go through a no pete period for a bit and then eventually start playing w/ him again. 

September 30, 2012 11:18:08 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

it was nice to be back into the mix of things... hopefully see you guys on more now!

October 1, 2012 10:36:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCXma0v-fY

for your cat video viewing pleasure. 

October 2, 2012 2:15:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Holy crap was last night a huge arse whoopin.  over and over.  It was like every champion vlad laned against was op.  Weirdest thing.  Seriously, though.  It was a pretty bad night for all of our team games.  Literally nothing came together in like any lane.  And in the game before we started all our 5 man team madness, I was trolled by a taric   T'was a glorious evening.  Ah well, I'm a glutton for punishment as I'm looking forward to it again. 

I'm continuing to think through the banning process with more of a focus on the bottom lane.  Along those lines, I'm thinking about what support would give you the biggest advantage to have if you could remove other supports from the mix.  The best part is that they enemy team will typically remove ALI and/or blitz by banning them.  That leaves 2 supports with easy to land hard cc (leona/taric).  I'm wondering if banning out either taric or leona and then picking the remaining character as a 1st pick would be a decent strategy.  With the threat of stun + an adc taking adv of that, I'd think it would be easy to get an advantage early.  I know when I'm playing adc, the only really concern I typically have in early laning is in the threat of a stun.  Could be my brain is just continuing to gravitate towards the kill lane strategy, though.  eg - who cares if you stun me, we are now going to kill you.  bah.

Anyway, been nice to play more with thunder lately. 

Karl - why don't you ever buy an early oracles when you play a non-counter jungle udyr? 

October 2, 2012 5:56:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lower quality vid, but fing hilarious.  I had to watch it like 1.5 times to get what had happened.  DELIGHTFUL.

October 2, 2012 6:25:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good playing with you guys too... but only invite me in the future if Karl is playing!  He seems to make the best mid and late game decisions and our jungling situation just falls apart without him... though it was kind of funny when Jona took over the role from me.

(When I was jungling with Lee Sin)

Forgot Who: "You don't need to ban Morganna, she's not all that."

Jona: "I need a gank mid!" (on Morganna)

Jona: "Why didn't you help me kill Morganna!?" (After I died from a Mundo AND Tris countergank)

Jona: "I'll jungle, I'm the only one in the group who can do it.  Make sure to ban Morganna for me cause I'm playing Lee Sin and he can't gank her."

Me: "Is Karl done eating yet?"

About support banning, I'm all for it as long as someone is set to play a permaban champ that would normally not be in the game... otherwise you know how badly you'll be bitched at when the other team gets to play one.

October 2, 2012 7:43:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hmm... silent patch went live recently.

edit - ah - looks like some updated graphics on the client - nothing special. 

October 2, 2012 8:01:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Karl - why don't you ever buy an early oracles when you play a non-counter jungle udyr? 

Because I am an extremely aggressive tower diver with Udyr in the mid game.  If I took oracles, I'd have to play a lot more passively and we would probably lose out on kills.

If everybody is warding me out I'll get oracles or pink wards, but that rarely happens in all lanes.  In the worst case scenario I can usually just camp mid.

October 2, 2012 11:40:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

October 3, 2012 9:44:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow 5 man revive teams on dominion are stupid. It is like playing a 10v5.

October 3, 2012 10:30:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

winners don't play dominion vs dem people.

thx for the games tonight, bryff - fun times.  cya!

October 4, 2012 10:42:42 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

world champ madness begins today! 

October 4, 2012 12:57:46 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

1st game about to start

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

October 4, 2012 7:43:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can check out vids on demand of the best teams in the league here.  It appears as if links for the all the games will go up here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LoLeventVoDs/comments/10xwxu/season_2_world_championships_ongoing/

October 5, 2012 12:34:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thx for bringing in a couple of your pals tonight thunder.  And thanks for everyone being nice to my very inexperienced pal.  It was quite a bit of fun and I really enjoyed myself at least.  Hopefully the feeling was mutual.  Night all!

October 5, 2012 4:59:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really recommend watching the m5 vs iG game.  Good stuff.

Really looking forward to azubu frost vs tsm

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.