The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc

By on November 29, 2011 1:07:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

I've locked/archived this thread/blog and have started a new discussion over here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/454943/

Please join me if you like.

Am I streaming

Well, I started a thread  back in August (http://forums.joeuser.com/411269/) that's seen a lot of activity and actually had quite a few good bits of information for new and old players alike.  I figure it's time to start a new thread and perhaps keep the OP up-to-date with useful information, etc.  Feel free to use this post for any LoL discussion, etc.

Super fast background:  I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust.  Back in August 2011 or so, I started getting heavily involved in LoL and folks have been kind enough to chime in with tips and links to various sites that have been quite useful to me.  In addition, I've been able to keep up with folks that I've played Demigod with in the past and meet some new folks that play LoL and frequent these message boards. 

Here's some of the things I've learned in the previous thread:

New Player tips

• Play the tutorial.
  • Consider picking up the starter bundle.  It's 530 RP (that's about $4).  You get 8 champs unlocked, a 4 win IP boost and a 10 win XP boost.  It's a pretty good deal (used it recently on an alt account).  You can find it in the game store under bundles.
  • Riot gives you 400 RP as soon as you hit level 5.  It's enough to buy some skins, a boost, or a cheap character. 
  • Learn to last hit!  Last hitting is simply landing the last hit on creeps.  If you last hit, you get gold for that kill.  The number of creeps you have killed is tracked in a value called CS.  You can see this number in the top right hand corner of the ui or by pressing tab.  Here's a really simple tutorial re: last hitting if you are brand new - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheiRB76x5g
  • Read some guides on any character you want to try out.  The recommended builds (what you see when you go to a shop) are not optimal.  The guides include item suggestions and skill orders.  These are very useful in learning decent ways to build characters
  • Use the rune combiner to get level 3 runes prior to level 20 if you like.  You will need 375 IP.  Buy any tier 1 rune that costs 15 IP.  You need to purchase 25 of these.  Click on your rune page.  In the bottom right hand corner there is a button called the Rune Combiner.  If you place 5 runes in there, you can get a random rune that is 1 tier higher (eg if you have 5 tier 1 runes, you will get 1 random tier 2 rune.  Anyway, the math works out such that you spend 375 IP ( buy 25 tier 1 15 IP runes) and you get 1 completely random tier 3 rune.  Some of the quintessences are 2k IP, so if you luck out and get one of those, you just won the lottery.  You can always keep the random tier 2 rune if you end up with something good and don't want to trade it out yet.
  • Consider setting aside IP for tier 3 runes (available at level 20 and above).  You can't purchase them with real money - only IP.  Keep that in mind.

Great site I visit every day for LoL related news - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends

pacov's misc info

Here's a guide I made

pacov's Guide to Improving at League of Legends and Moving Up in Elo

k - so I'm just going to put down some of my thoughts.  I'm not amazing at this game, but I do certain things that improve my odds of winning in ranked and so far its panning out just fine (bronze 5 to gold 5 in about a month or so).  We all have varied skill levels, so some of this might be useful and some not.  Caveat complete.

Prerequisite- you need to know how to play every single role.  You don't have to be a god at every single role (more power to you if you are - I'm certainly not).  You need to be able to play at a serviceable level in every single role and excel at least at 1 role (preferably 2).  In my case, I'm good at support and adc.  I'm not great, but have serviceable mids and jungles and so so tops.  Knowing what you are good at and bad at is very important.  If you don't know, I can probably tell you - but you really should know...  Anyway, you need to have enough champs to make solid picks in any role and you need to be able to cover any role if it comes down to it.  I'll talk about how to get better at specific roles in a bit.

Champ select advice - Don't be the "fill" guy unless you really feel like you are awesome in all roles.  Call your preferred role immediately when you hit the lobby.  Say "adc pref."  Do this as soon as you hit the lobby.  Some people believe that if you call a role you magically get it.  This is stupid, but if you call something out, folks will often accomodate your request.  If you are feeling wishy washy for whatever reason, call out multiple roles in order of what you want to play - "adc/mid pref."  In my experience, you generally do not want to call support.  It's a very important role, but you want to be in a position to carry every single game if possible.  If you aren't calling out a role, you are hoping that other players can carry you.  If you are hoping that folks will carry you, you don't deserve to win.  You need to know your best roles and you absolutely should request them.

Solo or duo in ranked? - Well, my 1st thought here is that you should solo.  If you solo, you have to rely on yourself.  IMO - its a much bigger test of skill to play solo and win than to duo.  Do you want someone to carry you or do you really want to know that you are actually good?  That said, provided you have the right duo partner, you can increase your odds of winning quite a bit.  The simple math is that instead of having 4 teammates as unknown quantities, you only have 3.  If you have a good duo teammate, you know what you can expect.  When you duo, you get the most bang for your buck by having complimentary roles.  Support/adc is good; jungle/mid also works.  Even if you don't have direct symmetry in roles, if you are an amazing mid and I'm an amazing adc, our odds go up quite a bit if we both get those roles.  Our odds go way down if we can't get those roles and are forced to play out of positions that we are weaker.  For example, Bryff is a good mid.  If he duo's up with me, the only way he will get to play that role is for me to call mid, take it myself, and then put myself into a position like support where I can't carry out of (I'm always 1st pick, Bryff is always last pick when we duo)... that and I have to show the mid I'm picking at the start which means Bryff gets hard countered.  In short, we can expect that we will be a disadvantage when duo queuing.  Now, if Bryff queued up with someone at a lower elo than himself that was solid, he'd likely be 1st pick and be able to get mid and have a better chance of carrying the game.  Anyway, you need to keep in mind where you end up in pick order when duoing if you aren't looking to go adc/support.  If you want that, you can usually get it. 

How do you get better in roles that you are not good at? - Well, here's what I do.  And this is really what I do on a regular basis.  I think about what I'm good at and what I'm not good at.  For instance, I realized that I don't play any hyper carry ads.  So, I read up on hyper carries like vayne and kog maw.  I look for guides on how to build them (most adcs are the same btw ), I look for vids on how people play them (eg how do I all in with a specific champ - is there a combo - when do I all in - what's the best way for me to burst - how should I behave in lane with this champ).  Then, I fire up a custom game and try out the mechanics of whatever champ vs AI.  Usually I learn a few tricks during that custom on how to position myself, etc.  Then, I'm off to normal games where I'll request the role or character I'm trying out.  Now, people still report your for being awful in normals, but it really is where you need to try out characters to see if you are any good or not as the bots are useless for proving your skill level to yourself.  So, fire up that normal and ask to play a role (again - after you've tried out the champ against bots).  If you don't know anyone you are with and you are quite awful, I suggest muting everyone at the start of the game.  Then, do your best.  Continue with this until you feel like you have a serviceable skill level in whatever role.  And keep in mind what you need to work on.  For me, I noticed I didn't really have alot of mids for ranked, so I started practicing some with gragas against and karth.  That way, I'll be able to get the job done if I need to play mid.  The next thing I need to do is put more time into being better top lane. Again, because while I prefer adc/support, I might need to play top for the team.  So, best to be ready for it.  Put your time in and practice roles. 

One last thought - there are certain things you can generally expect in ranked.  1 - if you are 1st pick, you generally can call whatever you want.  Common knowledge, I'm sure - but I'll add - CALL WHATEVER YOU WANT.  2 - if you duo queue, you generally can lock down both adc and support.  It works best if your adc is 1st pick, ofc.  I've bumped into like 10 random dedicated supports in all of my games of LoL.  People generally aren't going to call support. So, if you are 1st pick and duo'd, just call adc and then your duo partner can almost always get support.

Lol King profiles for ranked tracking

I'm not going to update this regularly, so just consider it a snapshot (I'll add a date when I update them).  Anyway, I enjoy seeing folks progress through ranked and keeping tabs on that sort of thing from time to time. 

Snapshot updated 05/28/2014

Character guides

Mid Ziggs by cow - http://www.lolking.net/guides/7906
Locked Post 5007 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 8, 2013 3:22:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

HEDGIE - are you seeing any major differences in the level of competition where you are in plat now compared to other levels?  Just curious if you have any feedback you might provide.  What's diff?  Is it just more of the same?  Thanks!

atm my MMR is Diamond IV / Diamond V / Plat I (i was first pick once as Plat III on a team of Plat I+).

Right now i can't lane and i get demolished. i can't really offer any feedback until my MMR drops a little so i stop feeding.  

August 8, 2013 4:11:52 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
Right now i can't lane and i get demolished. i can't really offer any feedback until my MMR drops a little so i stop feeding.

What in particular is causing you to get wrecked so much?  Are you typically mid laning and you just get outplayed by the enemy mid?  Better jungle ganks for the other team?  Are you feeling like you are certainly the weakest one of your team or are most things going to crap early/mid game?  Just curious if anything in particular sticks out.

August 8, 2013 7:54:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just a short clip from me vs nunu/udyr double jungle setup.

http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2717362

and here's my last game of the night yesterday where I do great a counter jungling as shy and then blow with baron - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2717381

August 8, 2013 8:01:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also, I think it's time you met my mentor

August 8, 2013 11:09:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Like i said, it's a problem with laning. At 1:56 i lose control of the lane (wherever i am). Despite sometimes getting huge jungle camp i'm not able to convert that into a winning lane just because the technical skill gap atm is enormous (people keep having their "mains" in their Summoner name - shit's getting serious). 

Additionally since i'm playing with Plat Is you have the "hell-hole" of dealing with a I-division where everyone hates everything.

That said, if i come out of the laning phase at least somewhat intact i don't have any problem teamfighting or transitioning.

August 8, 2013 11:53:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

PLAT BITCH. Guess what I did it with pacov???!?!??!? MID GANGPLANK LOLOLOLOL

August 9, 2013 12:03:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha... other team must have been afk.

anyway, grats man!  Really happy you got it!  Think you will take a little break or keep pushin?

August 9, 2013 12:04:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

karl is about to start his promo's to gold!  Great job man!

August 9, 2013 12:46:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so... I have several different topics to go on about including posting some vids.  Debating taking the day off tomorrow, so I might be up a bit.  Anyway, stay tuned. And note - all of the topics are of the NON-dramatic nature (mostly), but might be entertaining.  I might just make a few posts as I flesh out ideas.  Anyway, check back in the next 15-40 minutes if interested or check it out in the AM.

August 9, 2013 12:51:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

make sure Schyster builds a Sightstone:

he purchased 31 green wards that last game (though maybe some of those were trolling at the end)

August 9, 2013 1:02:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, game 1 of the night.  Pretty funny.  Now, 1st I want to talk about how I do things... and I do things in a certain way often to minimize how much of a shit I am.  Some don't have that problem.  Anyway, some time back, I read about ap corki as a mid laner.  I gave it a go and saw that it had some potential, but was not for me.  How do I know its not for me? Well, every time I see a flavor of the month build, I try it out against bots using the recommended setup.  Now, bots are crap, but it gives you and idea how you will cs with the build, how you will engage, etc.  It gives you the lowest level of experience you need to try a build and is MUCH better than throwing that shit at your pals or no one you know in a normal.  Normals aren't ranked, ofc, but I'm not going to try ANY character for the 1st time in a normal to see how I will do.  That's just me.  It's a dick move imo.

Anyway, I try that build out then a few times and decide - nope, not going to do that to my pals or even enemies.  Anyway, reddit has a post the past 2 days from a guy that claims he hit diamond using ap corki. Now, if you watched the vid, you were likely surprised by the damage he put out on a near full hp yi chasing him.  There was also a clip where he had a solid move on an ahri that got caught by a gank.  Anyway, he barely gets out and yi chases him and he ends up killing yi.  A dumb as shit yi I might add.  Anyway, the thing I noticed was the burst from his red rocket.  People certainly aren't used to an ap corks and to some degree even an ad corks.  So, expecting a red rocket to wreck you isn't common.  This dumb ass yi walked in a straight line over and over and took multiple rockets to the face.  And some weaker (imo) players think yi is OP now.  So, yi gets killed by ap corki and the mindset is OH SHIT - this is strong.  It's not.  After trying it out a few times again, its weak as shit early and starts packing some punch at level 3-4.  At level 6, your wave clear is very nice and helps a ton at farming - BUT - you can't play him like normal corki.  Going in deep for any sort of auto attack is often what you do IF the enemy is very low.  You really don't even aa an enemy that has full hp.  In short, its a completely different play style than that of AD corks.  

Anyway, I play with zen/midget tonight.  I'm actually thinking of giving ap corks a try after my experience.  I'll add I think a huge drawback to the dumb ass build posted is that he goes stupid deep in magic pen and corks has zero sustain.  The build actually would be half way decent with spell vamp. Anywho, zen is ahead of me as pick and he goes ap corks mid.  against a brand that locked brand ahead of him (horrible idea from the get go).  zen also runs ignite as his 1st game as AP corks. Brand oddly runs barrier.... this is even worse for corks.  Anyway, zen gets his ass kicked pretty terribly having no experience with the play style involved.  We actually end up doing ok, but zen goes afk for the last 5-9 minutes of the game (or so I think).  Anyway, result was predictable at the start of the game, but when we actually had hope, my shit of a pal goes afk for whatever reason.  I absolutely hate anyone that goes afk intentionally.  You have a real reason to do so, you tell your teammates and apologize.  Otherwise, go fuck yourself is pacov's motto.  Not a fan and I don't think any of us that play together are keen on folks afking in the fountain... its an even bigger fuck you when you go a champ that you don't know how to play using a flavor of the month build, feed, then take a nap.  I didn't invite him to the following game and was happier for it. 

other topics on my mind

• guy that knew me from my stream?
  • Brad's leblanc
  • Hedgie's feedback
August 9, 2013 1:05:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

guy that knew me from my stream?

I keep all chat muted in games.  It's a temptation for me to talk shit and being set on tilt by the enemy team talking shit... so I just keep that off. Anyway, Brad mentioned that the enemy jungler was addressing me as 1pacov1 for some reason.  Now, I play as pacov.  My twitch stream is 1pacov1.  That's the only association on earth that I'm aware to 1pacov1.  This guy apparently called me out as 1pacov1.  Even if he was ghosting, he couldn't stop me in that particular game jungling as shy.  That said, the guy, after the game, added me as a pal.  I have no idea whatsoever.  Those of you that watch the stream, know I don't advertise it really.  I just stream for those that like watching and I enjoy being able to go back to replays and see what I said/did, etc.  I don't have a large viewer base and it seemed like this guy might have known about the stream (otherwise 1pacov1 = me have no idea).  Anyway, pretty peculiar...

August 9, 2013 1:12:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
  • Brad's leblanc
  • Hedgie's feedback

I cover these 2 quickly - brad had a really solid leblanc support.  He did some batshit crazy things imo, but had a really impressive game supporting. 

I'm not going to isolate the vid atm as I'm off to bed soon, but here's the VOD.  It was the 2nd to last game of the night: 

http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/b/442902938

THIS - however, I'm going to isolate.  We had a decent last game of the night.  Our team did well for the most part, but hedgie lagged a little behind (had an amazing triple kill at the end that convince the enemy team to quit, though).  Anyway, I looked over the end game stats and asked hedgie about his thoughts.  This sort of thing I really enjoy.  I love hearing how folks think things could have gone better and listen to stuff like that for ways to improve.  Hedgie had a good idea of what he needed to have a better performance and expounded upon that when asked.  So, the vid I'm hosting is exactly that.  Post game chat with hedgie.  I'd think it goes without saying, but I'll toss it in - none of the vid is meant in the slightest as picking on hedgie.  We fairly easily won the game and worked well as a team.  It was an opportunity to hear (at least for me) how to better help the mid lane even thought I had a decent showing.  Anyway, if you want to see the full game, click the link above and find the last game.

Here's a clip with just the post game discussion - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2718702

August 9, 2013 1:12:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,

make sure Schyster builds a Sightstone:

he purchased 31 green wards that last game (though maybe some of those were trolling at the end)

no.. i don't think it was trolling... have to work on him a bit... I have some thoughts, though.... I cover later.

Off to bed - night!

August 9, 2013 4:49:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

guy that knew me from my stream?

I keep all chat muted in games.  It's a temptation for me to talk shit and being set on tilt by the enemy team talking shit... so I just keep that off. Anyway, Brad mentioned that the enemy jungler was addressing me as 1pacov1 for some reason.  Now, I play as pacov.  My twitch stream is 1pacov1.  That's the only association on earth that I'm aware to 1pacov1.  This guy apparently called me out as 1pacov1.  Even if he was ghosting, he couldn't stop me in that particular game jungling as shy.  That said, the guy, after the game, added me as a pal.  I have no idea whatsoever.  Those of you that watch the stream, know I don't advertise it really.  I just stream for those that like watching and I enjoy being able to go back to replays and see what I said/did, etc.  I don't have a large viewer base and it seemed like this guy might have known about the stream (otherwise 1pacov1 = me have no idea).  Anyway, pretty peculiar...

PACOV YOU ARE FAMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

August 9, 2013 5:05:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my ziggs guide is done now on LoLking if you want to check it out: http://www.lolking.net/guides/7906. I think I should write one for Brand now haha. It would be cool if you could put a link to it in the original post Pacov! 

August 9, 2013 12:59:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I suppose now that you are platinum, I will have to indulge you.    Anyway, I'm adding a guide section to the OP.  If anyone else has a guide they think is current and decent, feel free to submit and I'll add it.

August 9, 2013 2:40:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, I'm off today and enjoying my afternoon by being a nerd and theory crafting/testing.  1st - ap corki - spell vamp is the way to go with your quints after several tests.  MP quints are dumb imo.  The guy that posted his diamond 1 build has zero sustain.  While you aren't supposed to be mixing it up in team fights, any time you are grouping or pushing after a battle, or even in lane for a bit, you need some sort of health regeneration source.  You could run pots, but consider your low cooldowns, healing off q's is the best bet.  I tried it once with life steal quints, but its not worth it.  You either decide you are going to keep carrying pots and then you have alot of flexiblity on your quints or you skip that you go with spell vamp.

Other thoughts - his passive is pretty much wasted on this build, which blows.  Got me thinking about the passive a bit.  So 10% of your ad from basic attacks does true damage.  Now, consider that if you did 400 dmg, you'd be doing 40 true dmg a pop.  Not incredibly great unless you are going true adc and are pumping out the AS or crit (I assume the true dmg gets a bump if you crit, but not sure). 

So, thinking about true damage - at level 18, spirit of the elder lizard gives you 40 true dmg over 3 seconds. So, corks could switch it up and get that item.  I thought for a moment that blade of the ruined king would be better (5% dmg based on max health), BUT SotEL gives procs on his q,e, and r.  In the case of rockets, that's an additional 40 true damage on potentially grouped targets from a safe distance.  I don't believe the dot stacks, though, so you can continue to restack it, but not multipicatively (which would be quite strong imo). Also note that this item would also help the team quite a bit with baron/drake. 

Moving on, still sticking with AP corki, Liandri's with SoTEL gives you some ridiculous DoT.  

I tossed the setup I'm working with into a guide format.  Just going to update that a bit as I test

http://www.lolking.net/guides/177866

August 9, 2013 3:15:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it doesn't get boosted by Sheen or Crits anymore (it used to but they removed it because it was hella OP).

August 9, 2013 3:31:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What is the point of AP Corki anyway?  I mean, what does he do that makes up for all the weaknesses that the build has?

If you just want poke and some escape, why don't you just play Ahri or Kass or something?  You get some CC that way too.

I suppose you have more split push power, but locking yourself into a very specific meta at champion select is not too smart in most situations.  Plus, people try and split push WAY too much anyway.

August 9, 2013 3:59:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LoL has way to many stats. I can't bother, I just want to bash peoples heads in and get bloodlust.

August 9, 2013 4:35:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I played versus an AP corki mid that was diamond V in my series. He did fine in terms of farming and cleaning up a few kills but I don't see what all the rage is about. Our Orianna out preformed him in team fights because she has a game changing ult. Does corki have anything game breaking in his kit? No.

August 9, 2013 5:13:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Re Cow's Corki Experience:

Yeah, the Orianna completely outlaned him even though she died once 1v1 due to underestimating him.  He got three kills from the team fight cleanup... but that IMO was because your team didn't realize how dangerous his R was...

1. Not sure your team would have won the team fight that Corki got a triple on so handily if they had been facing a different mid... one that had something the kids are referring to as "CC".

2. Don't think they would have stayed and played around with an AP Corki if they realized the danger.

It just seems... gimmicky.  As soon as people know it's "A thing" I think they'll adapt to it better.  Does seem like it might have potential though... maybe I'm just choosing to believe it's not OP because that means they might nerf my favorite ADC.

August 9, 2013 5:17:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Krazikarl,
What is the point of AP Corki anyway? I mean, what does he do that makes up for all the weaknesses that the build has?

If you just want poke and some escape, why don't you just play Ahri or Kass or something? You get some CC that way too.

well - here's the strengths.  The super long range poke on his rockets can cast dots.  And the dps that come off his occasional big rocket is a little surprising.  He has decent wave clear as well (though expensive at early levels).  He can also kite really well.  His ult can store 7 rockets (2 big ones included).  And you can cast them mid/late every 1 second or less.  So, you can long range spam dmg like artillery. 

The biggest problem I have with him atm is still trying to mix things up a little too often.  You really need to be disciplined to be standoffish.  His level 6 wave clear is really good and would enable roaming or at least quick basing (you can q and then rocket the ranged casters and they die instantly even with no items). 

Anyway, its just some trendy crap.  You start to see the strength when you get a liandri's though.  Being able to chunk folks at such sick range is good.

August 9, 2013 5:26:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

Anyway, its just some trendy crap.  You start to see the strength when you get a liandri's though.  Being able to heal folks at such sick range is good.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: