The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc

By on November 29, 2011 1:07:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

I've locked/archived this thread/blog and have started a new discussion over here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/454943/

Please join me if you like.

Am I streaming

Well, I started a thread  back in August (http://forums.joeuser.com/411269/) that's seen a lot of activity and actually had quite a few good bits of information for new and old players alike.  I figure it's time to start a new thread and perhaps keep the OP up-to-date with useful information, etc.  Feel free to use this post for any LoL discussion, etc.

Super fast background:  I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust.  Back in August 2011 or so, I started getting heavily involved in LoL and folks have been kind enough to chime in with tips and links to various sites that have been quite useful to me.  In addition, I've been able to keep up with folks that I've played Demigod with in the past and meet some new folks that play LoL and frequent these message boards. 

Here's some of the things I've learned in the previous thread:

New Player tips

• Play the tutorial.
  • Consider picking up the starter bundle.  It's 530 RP (that's about $4).  You get 8 champs unlocked, a 4 win IP boost and a 10 win XP boost.  It's a pretty good deal (used it recently on an alt account).  You can find it in the game store under bundles.
  • Riot gives you 400 RP as soon as you hit level 5.  It's enough to buy some skins, a boost, or a cheap character. 
  • Learn to last hit!  Last hitting is simply landing the last hit on creeps.  If you last hit, you get gold for that kill.  The number of creeps you have killed is tracked in a value called CS.  You can see this number in the top right hand corner of the ui or by pressing tab.  Here's a really simple tutorial re: last hitting if you are brand new - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheiRB76x5g
  • Read some guides on any character you want to try out.  The recommended builds (what you see when you go to a shop) are not optimal.  The guides include item suggestions and skill orders.  These are very useful in learning decent ways to build characters
  • Use the rune combiner to get level 3 runes prior to level 20 if you like.  You will need 375 IP.  Buy any tier 1 rune that costs 15 IP.  You need to purchase 25 of these.  Click on your rune page.  In the bottom right hand corner there is a button called the Rune Combiner.  If you place 5 runes in there, you can get a random rune that is 1 tier higher (eg if you have 5 tier 1 runes, you will get 1 random tier 2 rune.  Anyway, the math works out such that you spend 375 IP ( buy 25 tier 1 15 IP runes) and you get 1 completely random tier 3 rune.  Some of the quintessences are 2k IP, so if you luck out and get one of those, you just won the lottery.  You can always keep the random tier 2 rune if you end up with something good and don't want to trade it out yet.
  • Consider setting aside IP for tier 3 runes (available at level 20 and above).  You can't purchase them with real money - only IP.  Keep that in mind.

Great site I visit every day for LoL related news - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends

pacov's misc info

Here's a guide I made

pacov's Guide to Improving at League of Legends and Moving Up in Elo

k - so I'm just going to put down some of my thoughts.  I'm not amazing at this game, but I do certain things that improve my odds of winning in ranked and so far its panning out just fine (bronze 5 to gold 5 in about a month or so).  We all have varied skill levels, so some of this might be useful and some not.  Caveat complete.

Prerequisite- you need to know how to play every single role.  You don't have to be a god at every single role (more power to you if you are - I'm certainly not).  You need to be able to play at a serviceable level in every single role and excel at least at 1 role (preferably 2).  In my case, I'm good at support and adc.  I'm not great, but have serviceable mids and jungles and so so tops.  Knowing what you are good at and bad at is very important.  If you don't know, I can probably tell you - but you really should know...  Anyway, you need to have enough champs to make solid picks in any role and you need to be able to cover any role if it comes down to it.  I'll talk about how to get better at specific roles in a bit.

Champ select advice - Don't be the "fill" guy unless you really feel like you are awesome in all roles.  Call your preferred role immediately when you hit the lobby.  Say "adc pref."  Do this as soon as you hit the lobby.  Some people believe that if you call a role you magically get it.  This is stupid, but if you call something out, folks will often accomodate your request.  If you are feeling wishy washy for whatever reason, call out multiple roles in order of what you want to play - "adc/mid pref."  In my experience, you generally do not want to call support.  It's a very important role, but you want to be in a position to carry every single game if possible.  If you aren't calling out a role, you are hoping that other players can carry you.  If you are hoping that folks will carry you, you don't deserve to win.  You need to know your best roles and you absolutely should request them.

Solo or duo in ranked? - Well, my 1st thought here is that you should solo.  If you solo, you have to rely on yourself.  IMO - its a much bigger test of skill to play solo and win than to duo.  Do you want someone to carry you or do you really want to know that you are actually good?  That said, provided you have the right duo partner, you can increase your odds of winning quite a bit.  The simple math is that instead of having 4 teammates as unknown quantities, you only have 3.  If you have a good duo teammate, you know what you can expect.  When you duo, you get the most bang for your buck by having complimentary roles.  Support/adc is good; jungle/mid also works.  Even if you don't have direct symmetry in roles, if you are an amazing mid and I'm an amazing adc, our odds go up quite a bit if we both get those roles.  Our odds go way down if we can't get those roles and are forced to play out of positions that we are weaker.  For example, Bryff is a good mid.  If he duo's up with me, the only way he will get to play that role is for me to call mid, take it myself, and then put myself into a position like support where I can't carry out of (I'm always 1st pick, Bryff is always last pick when we duo)... that and I have to show the mid I'm picking at the start which means Bryff gets hard countered.  In short, we can expect that we will be a disadvantage when duo queuing.  Now, if Bryff queued up with someone at a lower elo than himself that was solid, he'd likely be 1st pick and be able to get mid and have a better chance of carrying the game.  Anyway, you need to keep in mind where you end up in pick order when duoing if you aren't looking to go adc/support.  If you want that, you can usually get it. 

How do you get better in roles that you are not good at? - Well, here's what I do.  And this is really what I do on a regular basis.  I think about what I'm good at and what I'm not good at.  For instance, I realized that I don't play any hyper carry ads.  So, I read up on hyper carries like vayne and kog maw.  I look for guides on how to build them (most adcs are the same btw ), I look for vids on how people play them (eg how do I all in with a specific champ - is there a combo - when do I all in - what's the best way for me to burst - how should I behave in lane with this champ).  Then, I fire up a custom game and try out the mechanics of whatever champ vs AI.  Usually I learn a few tricks during that custom on how to position myself, etc.  Then, I'm off to normal games where I'll request the role or character I'm trying out.  Now, people still report your for being awful in normals, but it really is where you need to try out characters to see if you are any good or not as the bots are useless for proving your skill level to yourself.  So, fire up that normal and ask to play a role (again - after you've tried out the champ against bots).  If you don't know anyone you are with and you are quite awful, I suggest muting everyone at the start of the game.  Then, do your best.  Continue with this until you feel like you have a serviceable skill level in whatever role.  And keep in mind what you need to work on.  For me, I noticed I didn't really have alot of mids for ranked, so I started practicing some with gragas against and karth.  That way, I'll be able to get the job done if I need to play mid.  The next thing I need to do is put more time into being better top lane. Again, because while I prefer adc/support, I might need to play top for the team.  So, best to be ready for it.  Put your time in and practice roles. 

One last thought - there are certain things you can generally expect in ranked.  1 - if you are 1st pick, you generally can call whatever you want.  Common knowledge, I'm sure - but I'll add - CALL WHATEVER YOU WANT.  2 - if you duo queue, you generally can lock down both adc and support.  It works best if your adc is 1st pick, ofc.  I've bumped into like 10 random dedicated supports in all of my games of LoL.  People generally aren't going to call support. So, if you are 1st pick and duo'd, just call adc and then your duo partner can almost always get support.

Lol King profiles for ranked tracking

I'm not going to update this regularly, so just consider it a snapshot (I'll add a date when I update them).  Anyway, I enjoy seeing folks progress through ranked and keeping tabs on that sort of thing from time to time. 

Snapshot updated 05/28/2014

Character guides

Mid Ziggs by cow - http://www.lolking.net/guides/7906
Locked Post 5007 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 7, 2013 1:15:02 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

lol... was i really stupid, or do you only have that power?

June 7, 2013 6:40:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@Karl

Damnit, we've had this argument before haven't we?  It's not as fun debating with you as it is with other people since you tend to actually be right.  Yeah, truth is I slipped back into using Jayce almost exclusively because he's my best top laner and I'm playing ranked a lot.  Think I need to play some more normal games where I can be more assertive about playing a position I'm terrible at until I can get some other champs dialed in.

At least all that time spent playing Jayce isn't wasted... if you have an AP top, I don't know if there is ever not a reason to take him mid.  Dominates lots of traditional mids, punishes people for not having flat armor runes, goes well with almost every team if you have enough AP damage elsewhere, is great at ganking top and bot, and is fantastic at helping his jungler with friendly or enemy jungle invasions.

I agree that the big gator is a great go to top laner nowadays.  Here's a pretty good Voyboy treatise on him if you're interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/voyboy/b/406172356

Only thing that kept me from learning him so far is that Hedgie and Gotnades play him often and it's demotivating knowing people you play with a lot are already really good with a champion.  You ever feel that way about your friends favorite champs where you avoid playing them cause you want to have your own thing and also don't want to draw any comparisons?  I'm not ever going to try to learn to jungle WW any time soon or try and master Anivia, that's for sure. 

@Pacov

Usually my work internet is good enough to load up old streams fairly quickly, but some days it just feels like I'm back in the days of 5600 bauds.  So yeah, no need to load anything on YouTube on my account but thanks.

June 7, 2013 8:18:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so... I've been playing the marvel game a bunch today.  Quite a bit of fun.  I'll likely hop over to LoL in a wee bit.

June 7, 2013 8:46:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm streaming some of the marvel game now if anyone wants to check it out

June 7, 2013 10:23:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

duoing with my bronze pal in ranked.

June 8, 2013 3:07:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

super fast summary of my LoL client experiences of late.  All might not be related to client, ofc, just calling out.  I notice issues with my mouse a few weeks back.  Mouse is randomly lagging in LoL. No probs anywhere else.  Tis a new mouse.  Pacov goes apeshit and reinstall entire OS.  Loads LoL.  No issues by itself.  I add LoLreplay + fix and LSI.  Random crashes joining games.  Unpleasant.  I uninstall LSI.  Play and still get rand crash.  Remove LoLreplay.  Same rand crashes.  Uninstall LoL.  Reinstall LoL.  Game is fine w/o crashes.  Not a huge sample size of games, but let's say like 9 games w/o incident.  I install LSI.  Immediate crashes.  Remove LSI - crashes continue randomly.  That brings me to now - I uninstall LoL and am going to sleep while it installs.  In my mind anyway, this should get me back to even unless I have some underlying hardware problem.  No idea why I can't use LSI now.  I understood the LoL replay problem at least.  Anyway, me = not liking walking away when the load screen is due to come back to a shit be crashed screen.  Could be riot changed something that is impacting me as well, but w/e.  Hopefully this sorts meh.

I went 1/1 with my bronze level pal.  Side note - you know how some folks just get stuck somewhere and have trouble promoting even if they are better than that?  I think my buddy really is close to where he should be imo.  Really nice guy and a pal from growing up, but honestly I put him bronze 3 with some work.  Said his thresh was his best support and really didn't understand the mechanics behind a lot of things.  For instance, lantern appears to be mostly for grabbing spirits at max distance and not for escapes or ganks.  Must have used 90% of lanterns (cast almost always when up) to grab spirits.  3-4 ults where he hit no one.  I coached him on it, but I think I'll have to work a bit with him to get him up to par as support. 

Bronze-ish is a weird place.  Game 1 was lost I think almost entirely due to team comp.  Enemy team with 3 tanks.  Our team with zero.  I do ok laning and hard carry mid, but late game stall with a nasus on enemy team = hey great, your dmg can only hit the tanks while our "fake" tanks are in deep for some reason.  Game 2 was a win with me jungling nunu.  I really didn't think we'd win it based on how things were going.  I'd setup up multiple, what seemed to be incredibly easy kills and we just missed them.  My kass fugged up multiple times.  We even gave a penta because Kass wanted to go after Yi instead of clean up when I pushed out adc/support as nunu.  Kass had like random moments of holy crap awful and a few good moments.  Anyway, their trynd eventually screwed over their whole team when j4 got our of position and we took an easy inhib/push to win setup.  Tryn was literally 2 outer turrets out pushing into our base when we were pounding base towers with 3-4 and their entire team dead.  trynd = shithead = my summary of game 2. I think I performed ok.  Game 1 I really needed to be the amazing pacov, master of magic to pull off.  I needed to be like 2 fed vaynes to win that 1.  Game 2 I did what I needed to do based on what I had to work with. 

June 8, 2013 3:13:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Someone made a cartoon about Hedgie. 

http://elohell.net/chill/252964/a-badass-ranked-player

June 8, 2013 3:24:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's my "Proof" video. 

http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2394001

June 8, 2013 1:22:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Playing a bit of marvel heroes this afternoon.  add pacov in game if you are checking it out.

June 9, 2013 2:24:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just making notes for myself.  After reinstalling LoL, the game crashed on the 1st play.  I fully deleted LSI after that (it was not running, but it still existed unzipped on my hd).  I then played another game without issue.  Then I updated to the beta version of adobe air.  Zero crashes since then... maybe 6 games without issue or so.  Hedgie suggested I move my game install from my SSD to my mechanical drive (impressed he remembered my setup).  I'll try that if I have mixed results again.

Played a bunch of marvel heroes today and picked up a new monitor (old one was showing signs of crapping out soon).  New monitor is nice - getting used to it well enough anyway (same size replacement). 

That's it - off for bed.  Hopefully catch you folks tomorrow.  Night all!

June 9, 2013 2:49:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really great commentary from Stonewall on a lower elo game with him playing jungle nocturn - worth a watch imo... I was entertained anyway

June 9, 2013 2:51:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well i was thinking more your AppLocal file?

C:\Users\___\AppData

There are some registery settings and stuff you need to tweak. You can also just create a directory junction there instead. These are like Windows cache folders that get written to a lot - multiplie writes burn out SSDs. 

Tweak7 does it for you automatically (what i tell my friends to use). 

June 9, 2013 2:58:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you have any more details and are willing to share, hedgie, please do.  Don't think I follow... but I'm also about to go to bed, so maybe I'm just being a little slow.  Night! 

June 9, 2013 8:35:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well... supposedly I'm 15 minutes out from being able to play again... getting sick of this shit...

June 10, 2013 3:35:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still having on off issues with my client.  Did another fresh install.  Looks like a new version of LoL is due out soon (3.8 patch preview is out), so hoping that sorts me out.  Otherwise I'm looking at a hardware issue. 

Played some solo queue ranked last night and went 2/1.  That puts me to 95 points in gold 5, so if I lock down 1 win, I'll be start my promo series.  My pal schyster is in his promo series from bronze 5 to bronze 4.  Wish him luck. 

June 10, 2013 6:31:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

patch notes - http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-38-notes-0

things that caught my eye - the ash passive change is going live.  I made a vid a week or so about the differences for anyone that doesn't already understand how things work now and will work then

Karma's getting additional buffs

Inner Flame

• Mana Cost reduced to 50/55/60/65/70
  • Explosion radius increased to 250 from 230

Focused Resolve

• Now correctly gives vision of the unit while rooted
  • Mantra Bonus - Renewal
    • No longer heals over time for 25% Missing Health
    • Now heals Karma for 20% (+1% per 100 Ability Power) of missing Health immediately upon casting and another 20% (+1% per 100 Ability Power) of missing Health if the leash is not broken

Inspire

• Mantra Bonus - Defiance
    • Fixed a bug where Defiance's mini-shields weren't applying the Ability Power ratio

Lissandra is getting buffed - her ult gets a small dmg nerf at late levels

Ring of Frost

• Cooldown reduced to 14/13/12/11/10 seconds from 18/16/14/12/10
  • Mana cost reduced to 50 from 70
  • Fixed a bug where the root failed to apply if Lissandra died

Glacial Path

• Cooldown now begins upon initial cast rather than upon recativation or at the end of the missile

Frozen Tomb

• Self-cast duration increased to 2.5 seconds from 1.5
  • Slow increased to 20/30/40% from 20/20/20%
  • Damage reduced to 150/250/350 from 150/300/450

Sej nerfed

Northern Winds

• Bonus maximum Health ratio reduced to 10% from 16%

Permafrost

• Reduced slow duration to 1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5 seconds from 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3

Glacial Prison

• Reduced stun and slow duration to 1.25/1.5/1.75 seconds from 1.5/1.75/2

Sona is stronger early game and weaker late

• Base Health increased to 450 from 410
  • Base Armor increased to 11.3 from 9.3

Power Chord

• Base Power Chord damage changed to 13/20/27/35/43/52/62/72/82/92/102/112/122/132/147/162/177/192 from 8 + (10 x level)

Aria of Perseverance

• Fixed a bug where Aria of Perseverance's Power Chord: Diminuendo was not decreasing damage dealt
  • Lowered the duration of Aria of Perseverance's Power Chord: Diminuendo to 3 seconds from 4
  • Bonus Armor and Magic Resistance to self and healed ally reduced to 6/7/8/9/10 from 8/11/14/17/20
  • Changed aura bonus Armor and Magic Resistance to 6/7/8/9/10 from 3/6/9/12/15

Cost changes of note

Boots of Speed

• Cost reduced to 325 from 350
  • Items that build out of Boots of Speed have had their recipe costs increased by 25

Doran's Ring

• Cost reduced to 400 from 475
  • Health reduced to 60 from 80
  • Mana restore on kill reduced to 4 from 5

Doran's Shield

• Cost reduced to 440 from 475
  • Armor reduced to 0 from 5
  • Health Regen increased to 10 from 8
  • UNIQUE Passive now blocks 8 damage from champion basic attacks from 6

Of note

Custom Item Sets

• Item sets will no longer be lost when a player changes their Summoner name.

Game Menus

• The Key Binding page has been reorganized to be easier to use

Added notifications to inform players when they are close to hitting LP decay for inactivity in ranked queues.

Behavior Alerts

The PVP.net client will display new warning alerts for players with spikes of negative activity, in order to help course-correct them as soon as possible with quick and direct feedback.

• Players with recently detected unsportsmanlike behavior will see a warning after the End of Game screen.
  • Alerts will not follow every player report; alerts are targeted toward players that exhibit uncharacteristic spikes of highly negative behavior.
June 11, 2013 1:34:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

interesting write up inbound.  Check here again in about 10-15 min

June 11, 2013 1:56:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm off to bed, but fast summary.  I did a billion things to try to make LoL stable for me.  So far, I'm stable after 5 games in a row.  Hoping it continues... I literally hold my breath and cross my fingers when I hit the load screen.  I love this game and it seriously makes me anxious when its fing up.  Glad I got a break after 2-3 days of go fug yourself. 

My quick interjection - hedgie - if there's ever a situation where you feel a need to tell the other team to report me... well... either you are justified in trying to get me banned from a game I've invested a large sum of money in or you are being an asshole.  Just unfriend me if you think I'm worth asking people you don't know to have me banned (this is from games yesterday btw). I've been a dick plenty of times, but I do apologize or try to make amends when possible. 

Back to the exciting positive stuff.  We actually got to play 2 in house games tonight.  Remember when I said "fast summary?"  Me too.... anyway, I'm playing with what a group of pals that I consider a bit of a ragtag bunch.  To clarify, if you are forming a team, you pick folks that are good at all positions.  You don't try to form a team with alex ich and froggen as they are both mids.  Anyway, I end up with a team that forces us to choose the assumed best case setup based on who we have which is less than optimal.  Here's our line up - we had pacov/bryff/karl/zen/brad wong.  This gives me a ton of restrictions.  I'm the best adc/support on that team.  Bryff/zen are likely the best tops.  karl/pacov are only candidates for jung.   Mid is flex, but I'd have thought they would put hedgie there, so we need some strength.  imo - since bryff started maining top, his mid has fallen off some.  Still decent, but not as good as it was before. Anyway, anytime I've seen zen, his top is much better than his mid.  And we are up against some folks we don't know that appear to be solid.  Anyway, choose to have zen top (he does fine), brad does so so mid, karl is the mvp with his jungle for 1 baron steal, bryff has some probs out of support and I do so so.  The enemy team's Diana actually ends up keeping us in the game due to some misplays.  I screw up 1 time in a major way when we have free 2nd tower mid and I don't listen well enough seeing 700 gold bot to farm.  Anyway, I certainly have less than a perfect game.  Bryff had some misplays as support, but had his late game ults in place.  And karl got us a smite steal on baron that I believe was the most critical moment in the game.  Without that, I think we were licked. 

I'll cover game 2 in a sec, but feedback for my team for both games 1st.  We need to not rub shit in to folks when they screw up. I did it.  Karl did it.  Brad did it.  We need to play as a team and not rub in mistakes and just push on.  I, for instance, knew I made the wrong call when I went to farm bot at one point when I should have helped take a second tower.  Bryff knew he didn't do what I asked when I reminded him of it a few times on a ward.  Anyway, there's a difference between helping someone get better at the game and rubbing a dogs nose in shit to clarify that they did bad.  We need to work on the helping part and not the rubbing nose in shit part.

Game 2 - well, we had the same roster but we replaced brad with hunny.  OK - so the other team got beat in game 1.  Imo, they got beat for 2 reasons (again, I don't know the mid at all - and I'll add that we won because of a clutch save on baron by Karl).  reason 1 - their mid made multiple bad moves regarding position.  He got caught a few times being overaggressive - likely assuming it was a won game.  He was easily the biggest reason we won the game.  The other factor was hedgie as adc.  IMO - hedgie is a much better mid.  Better than any mid we could throw at him based on who I had on my team.  They made that decision for whatever reason, but based on their mid's performance, I think it was a bad call.  Onto game 2... hedgie is now mid running as birdman.  Thunder is running support again (he's one of the best supports I know) with someone else as adc (vayne).  We have zen as blitz (this is a terrible idea imo), hunny top as trynd (also a terrible idea imo), bryff as mid (so so idea as he excels out of top now imo), karl jung and me adc again.  Bryff has some misplays here and there.  I get 1st blood on an early invade.  Enemy team totally misplays the start, but little else.  Zen hooks leona into me a few times. Karl is ww for we have super strength if we play the blitz combo right on ganks (we never do).  Anyway, vayne gets super strong and we get raped pretty hard.  Incredibly good support of bot lane and many misplays on our side.  Honestly, I only want to see zen running top.  His decision making process seems a bit erratic.  Bryff was already a little stressed after some missteps as support in the previous game and both karl and I were rubbing it in way too much.  If I could re-do the last match, I don't know how I could reconcile teammates.  I want bryff playing out of top, but zen needs to be there more.  That means I have to put bryff back in support as I think he's a little rusty and hedgie is a stronger opponent.  smeh - I just don't think I had the personnel to make things work. Too many negative trade offs.  Honestly, I likely needed to drop zen or bryff in favor of someone else more flexible.... because I want both bryff and zen top.  Anywho - that and the other team was just hedgie/thunder as known quantities.  Everything else was ????  Anyway, the short summary is that its bad news if you need more roles filled and 2 people have their best role as top. 

side stepping.  A better setup would have been zen top/karl jung/bryff mid/hunny adc/pacov support.  That would have probably been a much better call.  AND - we could not afford to have karl go ww in that setup.  We probably needed a jungler that could have more of a presence pre 6. 

and last - I'm going to be out of state for a funeral the next few days.  I should be able to check in via iphone, but that's likely about it.  Hopefully catch up soon.  I did stream the games, so you can check out the twitch vids from tonight for them.  I'll prob make a highlight of each game when I'm back in case anyone is interested. 

oh - and riot - plz give hecarim more mobility.  ok thx!

June 11, 2013 2:16:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My quick interjection - hedgie - if there's ever a situation where you feel a need to tell the other team to report me... well... either you are justified in trying to get me banned from a game I've invested a large sum of money in or you are being an asshole.

i don't want you banned (you're nowhere near a permaban anyway right) - but you when you do "that" kinda stuff (you know what i mean) and then say on the forum that you were intentionally trying to lose the game because someone made you mad - that is classified as Griefing.

That is a reportable offense. 

You could def say "yah you're right, but you're also an asshole" and sure that's a probably accurate thing to say about me. But like \: you've done that 3+ times in the past 2 weeks and it gets really obnoxious. 

So i'll apologize in that what i did was a pretty jerk move, but you're gonna need to stop doing that because you're doing it more and more. 

Obviously, everyone makes mistakes/gets caught/misses smite.

It's just a thing that happens. Losing/Throwing a game isn't reportable. 

But like you intentionally push a lane until you die, refuse to group/splitpush/etc, let the rest of the team die.

Or refuse to converage on someone who is an easy kill in a 3v5 situation, then walk to second enemy turret while we die 4v5... 

If we are all super behind, we should just surrender in that situation and move on. But if we're winning or it's a close game - it's really frustrating.

Obviously, this is different if like it is a "desperation" split or like you're on a really good split push champion like Signed/Nidalee. 

Keep in mind that you've reported PeterDumpTruck before on your steam for VERY similar behavior - and you report strangers in games for that as well. 

---

re #dreamteam

Behemod (the plat guy who was mid first game) mains top.

The problem was mostly that the guy we were putting top has a very limited champion pool and we were going to focus on mid/bot and global gold so we were triaging him from the get-go. 

Putting Behemod into mid was probably a weaker decision (and you can tell by his playstyle of being really aggressive split and then trading 1-for-1 is a toplane playstyle). But yeah he does make some... questionable choices at times. 

So while i do think you had some tradeoffs about what to do in your team, we were also having some give-and-take. 

Your last setup you suggested would probably have been the best. 

June 11, 2013 2:16:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So-so?!?! I will have you know I not only outfarmed their mid in lane, I killed him twice solo! He wouldn't haven been caught out much either if it weren't for me landing my charms on him. I do agree that the Karl baron smite was big and put us back in, but I feel Zen putting hedgie out of the game late played just as much importance.

June 11, 2013 2:32:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry for getting down on some people, but at the same time there were a lot of pretty bad misplays.

Now, I sure didn't play perfectly, especially as it got later in the night.  And I don't mind at all when people make misplays on split second stuff.  Anybody can make a not perfect decision if they are making fast decisions.

But there were some pretty big misplays on things that were drawn out.  Some of that stuff hurt me especially, and its tough for junglers to recoup that lost material.  It was especially frustrating because Diana was begging to be repeatedly ganked in that first game.

And Bryff - sorry for being not so happy about that mid dive on Anivia.  But for future reference, typically you will want your tanky jungler tanking the turret.  Especially if you are at low health and they are at high health.  If you drop the tower aggro and put it on me, we at least get the kill there (since you stay alive and do damage longer).  Anivia might have gotten one of us, but certainly not both without dying.

Your jungler usually knows they are going to be the ones taking the turret damage and are used to it.  Generally let them take it unless you are at much higher health (or if you are top).

June 11, 2013 2:45:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Re: Nice Compliment About My Supporting

Thanks man!  

Re: Getting Reported

I've watched streams where you've reported strangers for not doing what you asked them to.  Not for griefing... but just disagreeing.  We've all had games playing with you, where you do much worse than the randoms you've reported in the past because you've gotten frustrated.  Going on tilt is one thing and we've all been there, but being extremely reckless to be spiteful doesn't feel good to the teammates you're teaching a lesson to, even though we sometimes win despite your best efforts.  I've reached a point in ranked where teammates don't often just give up super easy and start almost-sorta-pretty much feeding kills to the enemy, so it sucks to choose to play with a friend and have them behave that way.

Re: Bryff Blaming

I remember when I first learned this game and played with all my old Demigod homies where people would get mad at me in game... and then after the game?  Nothing... no useful critiques or advice, just hit start again.  

Bryff is a talented player and could be really good, but he doesn't get useful help IMO after the game or in this forum.  I've begged you guys to help convince him to get to use better runes, but only Hedgie backed me up at all.  It's kind of a bummer to me that he gets pushed around mid lane because he doesn't do any damage with his scaling AP Quints and then ends up as a whipping boy because his enemy mid wanders around killing everyone... but no one wants to really be bothered to help him understand why he struggles against opponents he's actually mechanically superior to!

Re: Tonight's Games

We had a more flexible team for sure and I think you've got a good assessment of a lot of things that happened...

But I don't think you realize that you guys may have lost the game with that "successful" invade.  You got first blood... but man, I think myself and Vayne were level 2 when you and Zen finally showed up in lane?  We were very confused... but pretty stoked.  If there is anything in this game worse than being a Leona who is behind in lane... it is being a Blitzcrank behind in lane facing a Leona!

I'm gonna watch the replays cause it's the closest thing I have to LoL Replays to improve my game, so if I see anything else I'll let you know... but man, both games were a lot of fun!  We should do it again sometime.

Re: Funeral

Sorry to hear that... hope it wasn't someone too close to you and yours.

June 11, 2013 3:05:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
Re: Bryff Blaming

I remember when I first learned this game and played with all my old Demigod homies where people would get mad at me in game... and then after the game?  Nothing... no useful critiques or advice, just hit start again.  

Bryff is a talented player and could be really good, but he doesn't get useful help IMO after the game or in this forum.  I've begged you guys to help convince him to get to use better runes, but only Hedgie backed me up at all.  It's kind of a bummer to me that he gets pushed around mid lane because he doesn't do any damage with his scaling AP Quints and then ends up as a whipping boy because his enemy mid wanders around killing everyone... but no one wants to really be bothered to help him understand why he struggles against opponents he's actually mechanically superior to!

I think that Bryff is pointed in the right direction.  Somebody talked about how that Plat guy had a top personality rather than a mid personality, but Bryff is kind of the opposite.  I think that he has a top personality instead of a mid personality.

He likes to sit back and farm all day until fairly late in the game.  You can't really do that in mid since their mid will exert too much pressure over the map.  But you can do that from top.  Bryff is getting into Irelia, which is a good champion for his play style IMO.

Bryff also does really well in the lane and in teamfights, but isn't really the best at weird scrambling around fights that happen midgame (although he had one nice cleanup bot tonight when Pacov was yellling at him for some reason, but I told him that he made the right call).  Mid has to be good at those oddball fights, but top can just stick to laning and teamfighting more.

Regarding the invade: no, it worked out to our advantage.  Your Hec got put way behind.  Bot might have been a bit behind, but they kept it together OK, and you guys actually lost both your flashes in and around the completely unexpected early WW gank (nobody expects the crappy ww gank).  Vayne just got fed a bit in some wonky plays a bit later.

June 11, 2013 3:16:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

re: diving

also: it is pretty risky to dive someone with barrier while you have no ignite.

that said, you had some nice ganks Karl. i'd see you coming but holy shit WW is fast and you'd get me anyway  

He likes to sit back and farm all day until fairly late in the game.  You can't really do that in mid since their mid will exert too much pressure over the map.  But you can do that from top.  Bryff is getting into Irelia, which is a good champion for his play style IMO.

while some mids are totally that style (hell Anivia is like that), Kass... isn't. 

i also think Bryff has a really hard time knowing what to do when he falls behind. Everyone loses lane, but it's important to lose "gracefully". i think some of this comes from playing Kass so much while leveling (Kass lose lane post-6? unlikely). 

anyway, it's difficult to point out exactly what you should do while youre behind without a specific game to point to... 
June 11, 2013 6:16:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@Karl

Yeah, after watching the replay I see that being ahead in lane wasn't as helpful as I thought... but still, "kept it together OK" isn't the ideal result of having the most dominant early game lane bully ADC who got your team's first blood money go up against a late game ADC.  Hec was behind from the invade, but you fell behind a little as well having to save bot lane with a pre 6 WW gank.  

Was one of the wonky Vayne kills this one?

Karl: "Bryff, If you want to teleport to bot lane, now would be a good time."

-Bryff immediately teleports and dies-

ZenGod: "That's a little late Bryff!  Why did you teleport Bryff?  Why did you make Pacov miss his smite Bryff?  Why did you make Mountain Dew taste so bad Bryff?"

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time: