The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Official "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" MEGAThread

Are you ready?

By on November 10, 2011 12:38:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

Skyrim's street date has been broken in Australia by a solid 10 hours, however - because Steam owns PC Gaming - it can't be installed until midnight.  So, until then, I get to stare at my legally purchased, worthless piece of plastic that amounts to little more than a Steam Activation code.  DRM's a real bitch.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still very, very excited - enough so to buy it regardless of the Steam bullshit it's shackled to.  Anyone else pumped for what has the potential to be Game of the Year?

Locked Post 228 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 5, 2011 8:55:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, cant use soul gem 'fragments' in crafting.... at least not at level 100....

December 5, 2011 9:16:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lame! I would mod it in, but I am making teh Vvardenfell mapz. 

December 6, 2011 12:29:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Xia  yes, the races do look better.   My avatar ran into an npc named masq yada yada.  I think its the same name as the quirky npc in oblivion.  In any case, he said that all the kajids (the cat people from elswehr) 'look so much better since he moved to skyrim.'  I think that was tongue in cheek humor... they do look better than they do in Cyrodiil.... lol.

December 6, 2011 7:14:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
@Xia  yes, the races do look better.   My avatar ran into an npc named masq yada yada.  I think its the same name as the quirky npc in oblivion.  In any case, he said that all the kajids (the cat people from elswehr) 'look so much better since he moved to skyrim.'  I think that was tongue in cheek humor... they do look better than they do in Cyrodiil.... lol.

M'aiq the Liar is one of the best easter eggs in any game franchise.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/M'aiq_the_Liar

December 6, 2011 8:16:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm tempted to go with this just for the voice reco.  It does make it even more clear how god awful the inventory system is.

December 6, 2011 11:42:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

kenect...is a non-pc console platform?  Seems that is one thing the consoles do have over the PCs.   Neat to watch.

December 7, 2011 10:31:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That video is of the PC version of Skyrim, the controls have just been modified to work with voice/motion gestures. It's a neat demonstration, but I guess I'm just to old school to appreciate fully motion captured games. Getting up and jumping around isn't what I want to do 90% of the time I feel like playing a game.

December 7, 2011 1:53:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Patch 1.3 is up on Steam.  Check the note that they will officially support 4GB in the next patch.

Update 1.3 Notes (all platforms unless specified)

• General stability improvements
  • Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
  • Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

We’re also planning on rolling out support for 4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware) next week for our PC users. Stay tuned!

December 7, 2011 1:57:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)"

If only that read:

"Optimized performance for the nutjob that played it on an Athlon 64"  

Nice to see them stepping up with the patches. 

December 8, 2011 4:45:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kinect...

If you really want to not enjoy the game AND look like a complete moron, why not go all in and use a dance pad?

December 8, 2011 4:54:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any minute now some hardcore motherfucker will finish it playing only by sound. Or playing without items and skills. On master.

December 8, 2011 5:26:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kodiak888,
That video is of the PC version of Skyrim, the controls have just been modified to work with voice/motion gestures. It's a neat demonstration, but I guess I'm just to old school to appreciate fully motion captured games. Getting up and jumping around isn't what I want to do 90% of the time I feel like playing a game.

yeah - my only interest in this would be for voice recognition... even then, bit of a hassle.  That said, when I release my mod that uses the Nintendo power glove, you'll all feel quite silly.  The level of immersion is amazing. 

December 11, 2011 7:27:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you haven't seen this one yet, give it a watch.  Just saw it today.

December 11, 2011 7:32:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and this...

December 15, 2011 11:55:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Question for those who have completed the thieves/assassins guild quests.  Please  tell me if there  are playable sewers undr the streets of Solitude.  I hear water flowing when walking over the sewer grates, but have found no way to access them.    Thanks

December 16, 2011 11:39:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No way to access the sewers as far as I can tell, and I've finished the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines.

December 16, 2011 12:00:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

Question for those who have completed the thieves/assassins guild quests.  Please  tell me if there  are playable sewers undr the streets of Solitude.  I hear water flowing when walking over the sewer grates, but have found no way to access them.    Thanks

If you want to be sure use NCL in the console and clip trough the floor. I personally don't consider that cheating, since it saved me from getting stuck in glaciers many, many times. 

December 16, 2011 8:53:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TLC thru the sewer cover?  Will work only if sewers are in same world spaces as town's walkways...  i'll try and see, when i also go see if the rest of cyrodiil is really over the mouintains....and past the 'you cant go that way message.'

January 18, 2012 10:28:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Windexglow,
After many more hours of play (turns out, I CAN put college h/w & studying till the next day, repeatedly!)

-Auto-leveling needs to go.  My level 20 character has as much trouble killing bandits as he did at level 1.  That isn't right. 

-Of the dozen caves & dungeons I've cleared, none gave me anything unique.  Staffed with the average generic enemies with a big bad guy at the end.  Reward : Sometimes a word, mostly a "Generic helm of +5 generic". 

-I don't feel unique.  My guy has gone from stealth to 2 handed, 1 handed, stealth again, archer, mage, 1 handed.  I don't feel like I'm specializing in any category - or need to.  In oblivion jumping around so much would yield a terrible guy.  Mine?  Not very challenging.

-Oh my god, bethesda hired more than 2 voice actors.  Hoozah!

-They hired 1 person to write the lines.  It seems being shot in your knee is an easy way to a city desk job in skyrim. 

-How am I not able to get myself below 250 weight?  What is taking up so much room?  I can't drop this, I need sell it!  Ughhhhthhhh

-Traps seem pointless.  Either it does no damage to you, or it's activated as you enter the room.

-AI still less useful than a baby full of bricks. 

-Monsters are in 2 categories : Things you 1 hit, and things that 1 hit you. 

Great game, and the modding community is already growing without the editor.  When that's released..dear lord. 

And there's work being done on replacing Skyrim's UI on the nexus forum. 

Really I'm Level 45, and the game is much easier now, I can kill sabre tooth cats and bears and all that in like 3 hits and I'm pretty much invincible to alot of them, and I'm playing on "MASTER DIFFICULTY" the hardest difficulty, and when I played on master at level 1, I couldn't kill a bear or sabre cat at all. Pretty much each enemy has their preset level, is that when you level up, harder versions of enemies start coming, but the weaker enemies stay, and none of the enemies level up, except for bosses, and guards (and guards level up with you until LEVEL 50).

And bandits are friggin easy to me now.

And I can finally kill those Draugr Wights without any challenge, and I can kill a Draugr Scourge, they are less challenging, but still a challenge.

AND THEY HIRED 75 VOICE ACTORS, but yet it still seems like 4!!!!

And the AI, helped me alot, well allies, unlike most games your followers are actually helpful. But yeah the AI is much better than oblivion, but still pretty dumb, and the bounty system is better.

And I'm pretty good assassin, I can kill anything one hit with a sneak attack on any difficulty, thanks so much for shrouded gloves that makes backstab do double damage and the daggers do 15x sneak attack perk and two powerful daggers, well that HAVE NOT been improved by a work table. Yeah I cleared an entire Giant and Mammoth camp with no challenge, because of me doing 60x sneak attack, yes I mean 60x because I attack with both daggers at the same time, and originally I do 30x damage. And I was playing on MASTER and all of them died one hit, it WAS SO FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!

Dragons still are somewhat challenging.

But yeah the loot is terrible I hardly get anything good, I normally just get cheap Ancient Nordic War Axes and crappy weapons. I can't wait until I level up to Level 46, because once your that level you start finding DAEDRIC ARMOR AND WEAPONS as random loot. But I doubt I have enough room in my inventory to carry that.

Too bad, I have the xbox 360 version so I cannot use mods.

January 18, 2012 11:05:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting Windexglow, reply 57...-Auto-leveling needs to go.  My level 20 character has as much trouble killing bandits as he did at level 1.  That isn't right.
I have noticed this, however it would be worse the other way - they provide no challenge of any kind.  Keep in mind, the idea is that some enemies level to a certain point.  Wolves level with you till like 8, or something.  Then they stop.  Bandits have a max level as well, it's obviously more than 20 however.

Quoting Windexglow, reply 57-Of the dozen caves & dungeons I've cleared, none gave me anything unique.  Staffed with the average generic enemies with a big bad guy at the end.  Reward : Sometimes a word, mostly a "Generic helm of +5 generic".
I think what's best about the dungeons is that each feels like it's telling it's own story.  The generic bad guys I can live with, since as I'm working my way through, I'm uncovering the "plot" of the dungeon.  As for the rewards, I usually just disenchant most of them anyway - the real fun is simply the exploration as far as I'm concerned.

Quoting Windexglow, reply 57-I don't feel unique.  My guy has gone from stealth to 2 handed, 1 handed, stealth again, archer, mage, 1 handed.  I don't feel like I'm specializing in any category - or need to.  In oblivion jumping around so much would yield a terrible guy.  Mine?  Not very challenging.
Because every character can essentially do everything, the issue comes with the Perks as you near the level cap.  There are 280 Perks, however you can only have 50 (soft level cap) as I understand it.  After this, you can still level your skills, but you don't receive any new perks.

Quoting Windexglow, reply 57-How am I not able to get myself below 250 weight?  What is taking up so much room?  I can't drop this, I need sell it!  Ughhhhthhhh
Increasing your stamina increases your carry weight.  A perk in the Pick pocket tree adds one hundred.  Carry weight is the biggest limitation - it's what defines how long my adventures can last.  However, traders just aren't common enough; most smaller settlement don't have one.

Quoting Windexglow, reply 57-Traps seem pointless.  Either it does no damage to you, or it's activated as you enter the room.
Agreed.  Trap damage needs to scale.

Quoting Windexglow, reply 57And there's work being done on replacing Skyrim's UI on the nexus forum.
The guy who fixes it is going to go down in history.

No, once you reach Level 50, leveling up is a whole alot slower, but you will still recieve perk points until you reached the actual MAX LEVEL 81, then you stop leveling up, and getting perks, and once you master all your skills, you are Level 81 and a half, so that makes me wonder, if there is a way to permenatly decrease your skills and level them again, maybe there is a way to get past LEVEL 81, and plus I've seen people at Level 99, either they decrease their skills, or they used CONSOLE COMMANDS for PC. But yeah if you level up you still get perks no matter what level you are. But then again there are mods, to make your skills level up pretty much forever so there are UNLIMITED LEVELS. So there really ISN'T a level cap for Skyrim. Is just that Level 81 is considered a level cap, because that's when you max all your skills.

January 18, 2012 9:21:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting skyrimmaster,
No, once you reach Level 50, leveling up is a whole alot slower, but you will still recieve perk points until you reached the actual MAX LEVEL 81, then you stop leveling up, and getting perks, and once you master all your skills, you are Level 81 and a half, so that makes me wonder, if there is a way to permenatly decrease your skills and level them again, maybe there is a way to get past LEVEL 81, and plus I've seen people at Level 99, either they decrease their skills, or they used CONSOLE COMMANDS for PC. But yeah if you level up you still get perks no matter what level you are. But then again there are mods, to make your skills level up pretty much forever so there are UNLIMITED LEVELS. So there really ISN'T a level cap for Skyrim. Is just that Level 81 is considered a level cap, because that's when you max all your skills.

In oblivion you could use the prison glitch, but I believe they fixed that little exploit in Skyrim. Oh! and if anyone ever has a question a particular quest/achievement/item, shoot me a pm! A long with getting all the achievements, I do also have the guide. This way you don't have to spend money to buy the guide to find X of Awesomeness.

As a good legit money making trick, make iron daggers and then enchant them with petty soul gems. This is the most efficient way to level blacksmithing (since Iron is cheap and all you gotta do is kill bunnies for soul gems... oh yah I'm that heartless to kill poor rabbits). It doesn't seem like theres a difference in exp between iron and ebony. Also, if you do this with a good enchant (like paralyze) they'll make you 400 gold a pop.

February 7, 2012 7:47:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
I just downloaded the 4 yada update... (via steam, of course) and skyrim is slower now, had to ditch the HD textures just to get the frame rate up to a playable level. Anyone else have the most recent update nurf their game? Any possible fixes?
February 8, 2012 12:02:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
had to ditch the HD textures

Also to clarify if folks have been on skyrim hiatus, there is an HD texture pack that went live on steam today or yesterday.  I think the mod tools also just went live. 

That said, I haven't played it since the update.  I hope the performance hit you encountered is something easily resolvable. 

February 8, 2012 4:11:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yea, I haven't played it since Christmas.  2 months straight and I needed a break. LOL   I'll probably dive back in this summer or when the first expansion comes out.

February 9, 2012 1:38:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

clarification, the HD textures I was using, and had to ditch, were downloaed by modders, using the download manager for skyrim, on the tesnexus site.  Many mods there... and all were pre- creation kit made mods.  I'm going to look into the tweeking guides for win 7, pc gaming, and skyrim (nvidia put one out), and see if that lets me run with the HD textures, etc. 

Yes, Beth does offer a HD tex pack along with (not bundled with) the creation kit.  I'm not using the beth HD. 

Will keep you posted if you like...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: