The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Official "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" MEGAThread

Are you ready?

By on November 10, 2011 12:38:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

Skyrim's street date has been broken in Australia by a solid 10 hours, however - because Steam owns PC Gaming - it can't be installed until midnight.  So, until then, I get to stare at my legally purchased, worthless piece of plastic that amounts to little more than a Steam Activation code.  DRM's a real bitch.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still very, very excited - enough so to buy it regardless of the Steam bullshit it's shackled to.  Anyone else pumped for what has the potential to be Game of the Year?

Locked Post 228 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 2, 2011 2:24:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fallout has an awesome lockpick function. Why didn't they just have someone from Obsidian come over and show them how to use it?

December 2, 2011 4:44:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Btw tried the 85 fov ...good to go.
December 2, 2011 5:42:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bonscott, im with you on the lockpicking mini game.  I hate it.  In oblivion, I always used the auto-pic until I ran out of lockpicks. 

In skyrim, I just use the console... I havn't loaded any mods, nor any patches..... kinda shy about mods  /patches until I hear whet the community says... so far, I'm happy with starting skyrim in off line mode.... which i think i will lose when i patch the game, yes?

December 2, 2011 8:01:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Bonscott, im with you on the lockpicking mini game.  I hate it.  In oblivion, I always used the auto-pic until I ran out of lockpicks. 

In skyrim, I just use the console... I havn't loaded any mods, nor any patches..... kinda shy about mods  /patches until I hear whet the community says... so far, I'm happy with starting skyrim in off line mode.... which i think i will lose when i patch the game, yes?

Lockpick Pro mod is perfect for you then:  http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=219

There are just two files you put in a certain directory and they don't replace or modify any game/system files so it's about as clean a mod as you can get.

Offline mode...well the 1.1 patch fixed the exe so it requires Steam to run (the way it was intended in the first place, Bethesda screwed that one up at launch).  Once updated though you can still set Steam to offline mode so you can play without an Internet connection.  I would wait until 1.3 next week to patch though, 1.2 is buggy as hell.

December 3, 2011 3:44:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone know if they have made it possible to bind weapons to the number keys? I think it was supposed to be patched in at some stage...?

December 3, 2011 4:12:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can do that already, in the quick selection list (Q) press 1..8 while the mouse is over an item, be it weapon, potion, spell, anything. Why you can't do that from the inventory itself boggles the mind.

December 3, 2011 4:55:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting unacomn,
You can do that already, in the quick selection list (Q) press 1..8 while the mouse is over an item, be it weapon, potion, spell, anything. Why you can't do that from the inventory itself boggles the mind.

Cool, thanks.

December 3, 2011 11:26:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ Bonscott thanks....  when the 1.3 patch comes out, i'll add the lockpick mod.  Thanks for tip.   Missed the lockpick mod when i visited skyrimnexus...

December 3, 2011 11:45:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I liked Skyrim a lot! At least in comparison to Oblivion. I think its better "in-every-aspect", but i liked Morrowind so much, because of that "exotic" feeling the Vvardenfell isle has.

December 3, 2011 12:24:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Fallout has an awesome lockpick function. Why didn't they just have someone from Obsidian come over and show them how to use it?

Skyrim's lockpick mini-game is exactly the same as Fallout 3s.  That's where they got it from.

December 3, 2011 1:03:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well then what are you guys complaining about?

December 3, 2011 1:08:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally I kinda like the Fallout 3 method of picking locks. To each their own I suppose. I've been working hard on the Rav'N Review of Skyrim which is very in depth and in it I also cover the mods I'm using and the ones I've tested that turn out to be not so great. I also cover some of the more specific bugs. The 1.2 patch did bug some of the quests which means I may have to reset a couple of them through the console or if I can't fix them so I can do them the way they were intended to be done I may even have to start my current character over. I've now got over 120 hours into Skyrim. It would be more but there's been a few days since buying Skyrim where I had things to do and didn't get any play time in at all.

Look for the review to be posted later tonight if I get it finished, if not then definitely by some time tomorrow.

December 3, 2011 1:27:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting unacomn,
If I manage to fix my PC while I'm on vacation this month, I'm going to start the game again, and mod it to hell and beyond. The interface especially, I hated it to no end, but now I see there's a mod for that. I just wish there was a way to mod the Morrowind interface into it, sadly, that's impossible. Also, a minimap would have been nice, although... funny story. When I played Morrowind the first time for 3 months, I had a SiS 315 video card that didn't get along well with the game, so I couldn't see my character in the inventory, and the mini-map was just blank, but I think the little squares were still there.

Hey Unacomn, I know you've said you're running on a system that's way under specs earlier in the thread. Some of the performance problems you've mentioned though remind me suspiciously of some of the problems I was having before I did the "Speaker Output Fix" that's talked about on the official forums. Do me a favor to save my curiosity (and maybe fix some of your performance issues) and set your soundcard/speaker output to 24 bit, 48000 Hz and see if this fixes some of your issues. If it does seem to magically fix things for you then you might even be able to try to set some of your other settings up a bit higher and see what happens.

Just so I don't go insane wondering let me know if that helps you out any or if maybe you've even already seen it on the forums and tried it.

December 3, 2011 2:05:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Well then what are you guys complaining about?

Because after the 200th or 300th lock picked it gets annoying.  There's no skill or game about it.  Pick a random starting spot, carefully test if you have it right.  Repeat until you run out of picks or get the lock.  This works regardless of skill of the PC or the lock requirement.  

*YAWN*

December 3, 2011 2:37:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,
  Because after the 200th or 300th lock picked it gets annoying.  There's no skill or game about it.  Pick a random starting spot, carefully test if you have it right.  Repeat until you run out of picks or get the lock.  This works regardless of skill of the PC or the lock requirement.  

*YAWN*

True, it can get boring after the hundredth time or so. When you think about it though it is somewhat realistic for that type of old style lock, and, it's better then just a boring "under the hood" dice roll/skill check. Basically, it's better than nothing IMO. It could have been a lot worse I'm sure.

With the mod on Skyrim nexus it shows you a color coded bar on top and all you have to do is put your cursor in the right spot that it shows you exactly where it is. I'm sure sooner or later there will be a mod to remove the mini game completely as well. Was there one for Fallout 3 that did that? I don't know for sure I never checked.

December 3, 2011 2:50:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RavenX,

True, it can get boring after the hundredth time or so. When you think about it though it is somewhat realistic for that type of old style lock, and, it's better then just a boring "under the hood" dice roll/skill check. Basically, it's better than nothing IMO. It could have a lot worse I'm sure.

With the mod on Skyrim nexus it shows you a color coded bar on top and all you have to do is put your cursor in the right spot that it shows you exactly where it is. I'm sure sooner or later there will be a mod to remove the mini game completely as well. Was there one for Fallout 3 that did that? I don't know for sure I never checked.

I agree.  I've been using that mod since I discovered it.  

I don't claim to have a better idea for the lockpick mini-game.  I just know that the implemented method, while fun for a while, becomes stale not too long into the game and quickly progresses to tedious and then annoying.  

As for Fallout 3, I have no idea either.  I never found the game engrossing enough to go beyond one quick play through.  

December 3, 2011 5:15:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RavenX,

Hey Unacomn, I know you've said you're running on a system that's way under specs earlier in the thread. Some of the performance problems you've mentioned though remind me suspiciously of some of the problems I was having before I did the "Speaker Output Fix" that's talked about on the official forums. Do me a favor to save my curiosity (and maybe fix some of your performance issues) and set your soundcard/speaker output to 24 bit, 48000 Hz and see if this fixes some of your issues. If it does seem to magically fix things for you then you might even be able to try to set some of your other settings up a bit higher and see what happens.

Just so I don't go insane wondering let me know if that helps you out any or if maybe you've even already seen it on the forums and tried it.

Windows XP won't let me change the setting in that way, but I have tried every option in the compression and hardware acceleration sliders, with no effect. I was pleasantly surprised that the sound ran normally actually, in New Vegas it was a complete mess. 

Sound isn't really the issue for my PC. In interiors it gets up to a very high framerate, it's the loading of textures and map data in the outside world that causes the game to slow to a crawl frequently. That and the processor can't take a lot of things happening at the same time on screen.

Still, it looks very good considering it's running at about a third of the recommended RAM and half the CPU

December 3, 2011 11:49:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting unacomn,
Quoting RavenX, reply 188
 Windows XP won't let me change the setting in that way, but I have tried every option in the compression and hardware acceleration sliders, with no effect. I was pleasantly surprised that the sound ran normally actually, in New Vegas it was a complete mess. 

Sound isn't really the issue for my PC. In interiors it gets up to a very high framerate, it's the loading of textures and map data in the outside world that causes the game to slow to a crawl frequently. That and the processor can't take a lot of things happening at the same time on screen.

Still, it looks very good considering it's running at about a third of the recommended RAM and half the CPU

Sound has never been an issue for me either and one would think that a sound problem wouldn't even be tied to graphical performance. For some reason though before I "fixed" my sound by downgrading the output every time I'd try to actually play the game I'd get a black screen or blue screen and not be able to see anything. I couldn't get any graphics at all to show up in game. Just the starting menu and logo and the smoke, but no gameplay. I didn't know XP would limit being able to change it though. Maybe see if there's some software that will let you adjust it? Then again it's also possible you're output on XP is set at 24 bit, 48000 Hz by default (would depend on your sound care though mainly). I just know the "downgrading fix" fixed things and improved performance for a lot of people on launch day. Some people could get the game to play with the higher sound settings but we're getting lousy performance even though their systems far surpassed the requirements so I thought it might be worth a shot for you at least.

You're right though it is still impressive you can even run it on that system especially with it still looking as good as it does.

December 4, 2011 10:20:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

FYI that patch 1.2 last week fixed the sound issue (well it's supposed to anyway) so you shouldn't have to fiddle with it anymore.

For help running on lower end systems certainly keep an eye out on Tweek Guids:  http://www.tweakguides.com/

His guides are awesome and helped me a lot getting Oblivion to run back in the day before I would upgrade.

December 4, 2011 4:34:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey, can anyone tell me if chunks of soul crystals are anything but items to sell to vendors for coinn?

December 5, 2011 5:37:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Hey, can anyone tell me if chunks of soul crystals are anything but items to sell to vendors for coinn?

Chunks of Soul Crystals? Maybe I haven't run into them yet? I don't remember seeing any "chunks". There's your petty soul gems, lesser soul gems, common soul gems, greater soul gems, and grand soul gems, and black soul gems. Did you try looking it up the on the Skyrim Wikki?

December 5, 2011 6:02:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

I have a whole stack of them, but have found nothing to do with them yet.  I should sell them I guess, because as soon as I do I'll find the quest that uses them   .  At least then I can tell you what they do.   

December 5, 2011 6:20:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Those either unlock shouts or enchant certain weapons.

December 5, 2011 6:29:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wbino,
Those either unlock shouts or enchant certain weapons.

Soul Gems are.. Fragments of Soul Gems are not.  

Based on some quick research on some of the Skyrim wikis no one has found a use for them.  

December 5, 2011 7:52:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't have the game but I would guess a chunk can be crafted. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time: