The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

You'll be able to download Windows 8 Dev Preview Tonight...........

By on September 13, 2011 8:05:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize ForumsExternal Link

Link to download above.............

News item on Neowin.........http://www.neowin.net/news/download-windows-8-developer-preview-tonight-at-8-pm-pdt

+75 Karma | 93 Replies
September 15, 2011 1:12:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
I've done about all I can with this version.

Quoting RedneckDude,
It was fun for a day....
???

Indeed... was only meant as a preview and as a platform for the app devs... long road ahead. 

September 15, 2011 7:07:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It just gets worse and worse... Who are the devs at Microsoft listening to when they come up with this garbage?

My personal experience with Windows says there's absolutely no reason to upgrade past XP unless you want to re-purchase almost every piece of software that you have been using for 10+ years.

It looks rediculous, are they trying to turn computers in-to cellphones or what?

Funny thing is they seem to be trying to revert to the old "program manager" look where there wasn't really a start panel just shortcuts...

Would be nice if someone at Microsoft would put an end to re arranging command and just make a good solid running OS that will still run programs, and hardware that have been around for a while... without choking.

Funny thing is they keep abandoning their OS versions to make a "new one" without even trying to fix the problems first.

Well that's my rant for the day...

Thanks for reading

September 28, 2011 9:28:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I reinstalled today. I must have gotten a bad install the first go round.

IE 10 works now, and so do some other things that didn't before. I'm gonna give it another day.

If anyone has any insight as to 2of3's problem, help him here:

http://forums.wincustomize.com/412297

September 28, 2011 10:30:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting vStyler,
Quoting vStyler, reply 43An ugly pile of steaming dog shit

This just in: Windows 8 gives steaming dogshit a bad name.

Actually, I'd rather step in the pile barefoot than run this..

Quoting BoXXi,
That is just the most horrible thing I have ever seen...... is it a joke?

If so, Apple may be laughing all the way to the bank.

September 28, 2011 10:49:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It really is Fugly

September 28, 2011 1:47:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,
It really is Fugly
I agree, it's too ugly for Word. The only thing that would make it look better is the Power Off button.

September 28, 2011 1:52:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

The only thing that would make it look better is the Power Off button.

Which indecently isn't immediately easy to find

September 28, 2011 7:36:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

personally I think that windows 8 will make vista look like the mona lisa(the painting)and yes I refuse to support vista, and it looks like I will refuse to visit customers that have win8 as linux and MAC (both of which I do not know) will be easier to support.

I find it slow, horribly UGLY(it reminds me of the BABY toys from the late 60's(when I was already in school)), totally incompatible( and this is with 1 generation old minimal  hardware(ie i3-550(oc to 4.95ghz) gigabyte mobo,4gb ddr3 1333, geforce 440 vga 120gb ssd & dvd drive), and also really HATE how mshit keeps fucking the user interface for essential things like the shutdown command, but have found the power on button on the tower does shut down shit8.

harpo

September 28, 2011 8:17:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Good way to do it.   

Not a 'real' version... just a 'Preview'. When it starts getting into the Betas and RC, I guarantee it'll have an expiration date. 

Also.. if you aren't doing it with a touchscreen capable device... you're probably missing a great deal of the 'experience' from what Sinofsky demonstrated.

Hmmm... Jim has an HP Touchscreen... lol. j/k. Don't do that...lol.

I have a new HP Touchsmart and love it.  Can't wait to learn more about what Widows 8 will bring to it in terms of touch functionality.

September 28, 2011 8:37:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've downloaded it but not installed. I want to partition a part of hard drive and install it on partition. Has anyone done this?

September 28, 2011 9:08:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
I've downloaded it but not installed. I want to partition a part of hard drive and install it on partition. Has anyone done this?

Well, I haven't tried it. The site says clean install.

September 28, 2011 9:36:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
The site says clean install.

Lifehacker has a how to on installing on a partition instead of over whatever your running. You would have a dual boot then. Just wondering if anyone else has done it that way or not.

October 2, 2011 5:09:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I tried to install windowblinds on 8......nope. Back to 7.  Maybe later, 8.......

October 3, 2011 5:23:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From the sounds of all the posts W8 has quite a long way to go. Maybe a good thing its still a year or so away. Who knows...Microstuff got it right with seven. Two in a row is not unheard of. But I'll wait till the movie comes out.

October 3, 2011 11:41:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,

yeah, and when I was done I didn't even bother deleting it, just told win7 to boot to itself and hid the drive letter.

Might as well leave that partition for the inevitable beta, even if I'll need to format it.

There are things I liked and things I didn't, but I considered it almost worthy of being my main OS.

Not quite, but I'm sure the beta will be

Too bad Protogon is broken, I definately want to see that.

October 3, 2011 10:21:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting tarokahn,
My personal experience with Windows says there's absolutely no reason to upgrade past XP unless you want to re-purchase almost every piece of software that you have been using for 10+ years.

Not so. XP is 'OK' but Windows 7 simply WORKS.  It FINALLY puts the 'O' into 'OS'.

As for proggies not working.....'most' will.

OK, so I still need DosBOX for Terra Nova...but then that's a Dos game and quite ancient..... doesn't run on XP natively either....

October 5, 2011 4:31:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kryo,
I can't even think of a single game that requires DX10 currently, so I don't think there's much risk of that any time soon.

Just Cause 2 and Shattered Horizon to name the ones I own, Renegade Ops is preordered and out shortly, Stormrise (I think) for one I don't plan to get.

And Battlefield 3 being the obvious first major title to do it.  I haven't preordered it but I'll definately get it.

I assume if there were any others I'd know, but stranger things have happened.

October 5, 2011 8:13:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
Lifehacker has a how to on installing on a partition instead of over whatever your running. You would have a dual boot then. Just wondering if anyone else has done it that way or not.

I had it dual booted on a separate partition and it worked fine, for what it was.

Just removed it last night.  All I was doing with it was playing that word game!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.