The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

You'll be able to download Windows 8 Dev Preview Tonight...........

By on September 13, 2011 8:05:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize ForumsExternal Link

Link to download above.............

News item on Neowin.........http://www.neowin.net/news/download-windows-8-developer-preview-tonight-at-8-pm-pdt

+75 Karma | 93 Replies
September 14, 2011 11:01:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, what I said before: We have like 1 GB or 2 GB graphic cards, 8 GB RAM , 8  cores and whatnot to look at plain boring pastel unicolored tiles with some white fonts and icons... Seems the 'Minimalist Neowhiners GUI Corps' has visted Microsoft to tell them what a GUI has to look like. 

Next big thing is MS bringing DOSShell back ?

No, honestly, Metro is good for cellphones...

September 14, 2011 11:06:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also I don't get why they don't finally bring a tabbed explorer...

September 14, 2011 11:09:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jim... here's some good stuff:

• Windows+F – Opens File Search
  • Windows+C – Opens Charms Bar
  • Windows+I – Opens Settings
  • Windows+Q – Opens App Search pane
  • Windows+W – Opens Settings Search app
  • Windows+Z – Opens App Bar

If you aren’t at the Start screen, all you have to do is hit the Windows key to get back to the screen, and then start typing to launch an application—it’s the same set of keystrokes you would use before, but a different interface.

Take a look here:  http://www.howtogeek.com/74089/windows-8-the-gigantic-how-to-geek-screenshot-tour/

Good stuff, bud.

September 14, 2011 11:33:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

disregard, sorry not my pc wrong log in.

September 14, 2011 11:35:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

sorry about the wrong log in.....

okay, thanks for those pics jim, that was cool.

and you guys are gonna take me out the back and bash me up for saying this , but i reallly do like what i saw!!!

September 14, 2011 11:38:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool, I finally. Can I use this with VMware? or Do I have to use a computer that I am not using?

September 14, 2011 12:15:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Hmmm... Jim has an HP Touchscreen... lol. j/k. Don't do that...lol.

September 14, 2011 12:19:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
It is also painfully slow for some reason.
Not seeing that here, tho I've not really done anything with it yet.

I see it as a toy, something to break the monotony.......for now...

I actually like the metro thing, from a user's perspective. But then it acts a lot like my tablet. You can use the Metro style with the mouse.

September 14, 2011 12:22:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
But then we are only seeing the Metro stuff and not the non-touch screen set up.

Ahem, see reply 3, screenie 4, and reply 6.

Non touch screen explorer style.

September 14, 2011 12:26:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ice27828,
Cool, I finally. Can I use this with VMware? or Do I have to use a computer that I am not using?

From Doc's link, an excerpt:

Various Install Notes:

• We were not able to get it working in VMware Workstation or Virtual PC.
  • If you do want to virtualize, try VirtualBox. Many readers reported luck with this.

September 14, 2011 12:34:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows+Z does nada for me.

September 14, 2011 12:36:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Quoting Philly0381, reply 25But then we are only seeing the Metro stuff and not the non-touch screen set up.

Ahem, see reply 3, screenie 4, and reply 6.

Non touch screen explorer style.

I was meaning the non-touch screen desktop or is the user going to be stuck with the Metro look for the desktop?  I know, change is coming, but unlike a lot of you I don't have a tablet or a fancy touch screen cell phone and I have not used this style of interface. 

September 14, 2011 12:37:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JcRabbit,
Am I the only one thinking that is ugly as hell?

It's like the South end of a North-bound camel.

And that Metro or whatever the f**k it is.... it's kin'orrible.

So Microsoft would want to put a proper OS in there with a better attempt at a UI than that feeble attempt at recreating an ad for an app store.

If I wanted that kind of app crap I'd get a 'so-called' smart phone.... and what's so f**king smart about them anyhow.  My supposedly less intelligent $29 Nokia makes calls and sends texts... receives them, too...  just as well as any of those $500 units that everything but do yer laundry and reheat leftovers.

Anyhow, I've recovered from my mental detour, so back to Win 8.  Given the little I've seen so far, I'm not impressed.  The idea of apps and the 'Cloud' replacing regular PC software does not appeal to me one bit, nor do those gaudy colours in that Metro mishmash, so if there's not a regular GUI that's fully customisable underneath that eyesore, then Win 8 will be staying on the shelf.

Yeah, I know, you're say that I need to get with the times, but for me, that [gaudy Fisher Price looking Metro thing] is going backwards... at a rate of knots  I moved from XP to Vista to get away from sickening colour schemes, so there's no way I'm going back.  Nope, as much as I like new toys, I'll be sticking with Win 7 if there's not a marked improvement on what I've seen so far.

September 14, 2011 12:47:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Absolute YUK! Don't want it at all at this point, and by the look of that Office 2010 looking explorer window layout, I never will.

September 14, 2011 1:05:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't like the Metro stuff either, but keep in mind that there is the option to not use it and just have what we are accustomed to, a wallpaper background and a bottom of the screen taskbar.  RedneckDude sent me a screenshot of it.  As long as it has that option than I think I am going to back off a little and wait for more screenshots. 

Also need to see and hear on what improvements have been made versus Windows 7.

September 14, 2011 1:05:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ok everyone....those who don't like what they see had better get it anyway...Windows 7 will be obsolete soon! And since Microsoft made this...You must have it! You must have it! You must have it! Windows 7 is old! Windows 7 is old!

September 14, 2011 1:20:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmm... I have tried with no luck getting it to run in vitualbox, and get the error " HAL INITIALIZATION FAILED" in Virtualbox and in Virtual PC.

So it seems running it in a VM is out of the question...

September 14, 2011 1:43:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

An ugly pile of dog shit

September 14, 2011 2:03:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
Ok everyone....those who don't like what they see had better get it anyway...Windows 7 will be obsolete soon! And since Microsoft made this...You must have it! You must have it! You must have it! Windows 7 is old! Windows 7 is old!

September 14, 2011 2:04:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just had to do a hard boot to get the lappy out of sleep mode. It wouldn't wake.

September 14, 2011 2:11:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Windows+Z does nada for me.

We haven't heard from the Redneck for some time. 

I think it's because he has "discovered" W8's new BSOD... or perhaps it discovered him:

September 14, 2011 2:13:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting vStyler,
An ugly pile of steaming dog shit

September 14, 2011 2:15:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ Doc!  

September 14, 2011 2:39:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, Philly will be glad to know I just disabled metro. I get the normal start menu, etc.

Windows 7, essentially...lol.

September 14, 2011 2:40:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is just the most horrible thing I have ever seen...... is it a joke?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.