The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Pacov's LoL page for folks that play or played Demigod and now play LoL (also)

Feel free to jump in and discuss lol even if you aren't Demigod alumni

By on August 17, 2011 12:29:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, during the (12 day or so) downtime with the MP servers, I decided to give LoL another go and have been enjoying myself.  I'm glad DG is back up and running, but the break was enough for me to try another competitive DoTa style game and start to enjoy it.  This thread isn't about bashing DG or any nonsense (so don't ffs).  Its simply a place for those of us that play or have played DG and now play LoL as a main or occasionally to discuss the game and keep in touch. 

So - chime in here if you have been playing LoL with your experiences or whatever you want to chat about.

I'll get us started.  I've been enjoying the F2P aspect of LoL quite a bit.  Remember WAAAAYYYY back when favor points in DG meant something?  Eg - remember playing games and looking forward to unlocking a favor item you wanted to try out?  It's like that all the time with LoL (well, it will be for quite some time anyway).  You get IP (favor points) for every game you play.  You can shell out some money if you really want to buy all of the characters, etc (the temptation is always there for the quick win), but you can also just play for fun and earn enough IP to unlock a new char, etc.  It's been very satisfying for me slowly earn enough IP to try out a new character, etc.

As it stands, I'm ok with 3 characters (card guy, silv, and viking pants - there are so many char it takes awhile to learn all the names).  I'm ok early, decent mid game, and utter SHITE late game with my characters.  It seems very diff from DG in that respect (if we are kicking ass early/mid, you can't harass like a god late game - that's gotten me killed more than a few times).  There are ALOT of reasonable builds (from what I can tell).  I started by trying out many diff char vs ai to learn them (that's why I'm like level 12 with "13 wins" or so).  Then I learned you get more IP from playing against humans, so I just switched up.

Anyway, I think the game is fun now and I'm looking forward to the new domination mode (it's a Demigod knock off imo) that is essentially holding points to get bonuses from what I understand.  Hearing about that mode is pretty much exactly why I started playing.  Oh, and pretty damn close to 100% of games end because another team beat you - not because someone dropped. 

Anyway, I'm going thru a learning curve.  I play with folks that are "experienced" and I often think they are retarded after my impressive 40 games or so (vs their 500+ games).  The strats often sound idiotic to me.  But that said, I fell into line in a game with jon, paint, obi, and 2 of jon's clan mates tonight and we scored a win when i thought we were done.  My biggest weakness (I think anyway) is not knowing what folks can do with their characters... I think there are like 70 char... as a new player, you have NO IDEA what each char can do until you play them or play against them enough... and that will take some time.  Anyway, I'm pacov on LoL if you play and want to add me as a friend.  I'm not exactly good, but I probably won't lose you the game at this point.  We should organize some LoL games and some DG games.  Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

+161 Karma | 581 Replies
October 14, 2011 2:47:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, i see young little Hedgie finally joined the LoLing ranks . Just when i was wondering if i should get Retribution with this weekend deal (i won't even mention Thunder here....   )

I wish you could transfer IP points, i have over 65k IP points sitting in my EU account, and i've never spent a dime in RP (I know, i'm such a cheapass [e digicons]'[/e] )

Lastly, a few words for darkliath : How could you betray us your EU pals for those Yankee hanky-pankies? Tsk-Tsk 

October 14, 2011 3:10:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nomilarac,
Lastly, a few words for darkliath : How could you betray us your EU pals for those Yankee hanky-pankies? Tsk-Tsk

EU servers were uber unstable (now they are not), so could get a game few times in a month. Another thing is most people I know played on US due to the same reason, so I went there. Then more people from demigod came there, etc. Oh well... I barely played with anyone on EU anyway and it's a tough game to play alone...

I gained ~1k RP from Riot due to those server issues, but can't transfer them either

October 14, 2011 3:52:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nomilarac,
Ah, i see young little Hedgie finally joined the LoLing ranks . Just when i was wondering if i should get Retribution with this weekend deal (i won't even mention Thunder here.... )

I'd say the same, just play a lot of games and ip will be no problem. Only spent money on skins. But i'm to cheap for that too^^

October 14, 2011 4:37:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well Retribution is F2P this weekend, nom. Better get in some playtime before they ruin it with 3.18. >> 

October 14, 2011 5:28:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nomilarac,
(i won't even mention Thunder here....   ) 

White women call this
"the silent treatment."

And we let 'em think we don't like it.

(snorts)

October 14, 2011 5:52:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

----------

What's so bad about 3.18 Hedgie? (In a nutshell if poss. )

I'm already downloading Ret, too bad i doubt these 2 free days will be enough to get a good grasp of the game. I might get it nonetheless since i've read about an absurdly cheap deal in a localstore that has Retribution Complete Edition for 6 € or so. We'll see.

October 14, 2011 6:23:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's completely gay. 

Basically, the current lead designer is good friends with a:

- FC player

- Ork player

- Chaos player

FC, Ork, Chaos get massive buffs and changes (Chaos did get a few slap on the wrist nerfs because they are one of the strongest races with several very favored matchups and only two bad matchups. They tend to either be really favored or really disadvantaged). 

The two races that the community whine about - IG and Nids, due to having a different playstyle - get ridiculous nerfs without compensation. Despite the fact that IG is massively disadvantaged against the 3 most popular races, and Nids only has one ridiculously favored matchup in 1v1 (though it is absolutely crazy favored for Nids), and equal at best against most of the rest of them, while being equal-at-best with every matchup in 2v2 or 3v3.

AND the fact the patch was supposed to address underpowered wargear options and also supposed to overhaul Nids (again). FC, Ork, Chaos, Eldar get wargear addressed. IG and Nids don't. Nids had one of the smallest change-logs out of all the races. 

Now, if balance gets upset in order to address certain matchup issues, toss up the meta, and make more builds viable that's all well and good. That doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that the designer is playing MASSIVE favorites and screwing up balance to make his friends happy.

October 14, 2011 7:53:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, that sounds reaaally discouraging. I hate it when balance changes seem THAT biased.

On the other hand, it confirms the impression i got from DoW II vanilla, it's a hell of a game to balance with so many races and choices. I'm not sure i'll even try it this free weekend, to think about all the different Wargear PER Hero PER Race and all that jazz makes my head hurt.

Ah well, thanks for the explanation, though,   for you Hedgie 

October 14, 2011 8:10:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, on the other hand the balance has gotten a lot better, and this is the first balance patch in a long time that I've disagreed with the majority of the changes (usually there are a few weird ones but not large enough for me to get worked up about). 

With 3.17 I'd say that most matches come down to skill and who can play better, not who is playing a stronger race (even the really fucked up matchups like NidvSM is only insurmountable at higher level play). 

October 14, 2011 9:56:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well it looks like they are also offering paid DLC skins for Chaos and IG. (A different studio does the skin DLC). Which is neat.

Also it looks like they are adding a /Tau/ commander to Last Stand. Which means that - excitedly - they may be doing a Tau expansion/mini-expansion in March. Rather than ditch it all for DoW III. 

I'd prefer Necrons (Tau are almost exclusively ranged, and I'm sick of the currently ubiquitous ranged armies in the current meta). 

Unfortunately, the Tau commander is not free, which is bad form imo At least he is half off for for awhile. 

October 14, 2011 9:58:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and BACK TO LOL (also I wish I could edit my posts).

Twitch got reduced to 3150? cool.

October 15, 2011 2:52:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Skarner Buffs!!!!

YAY!!!!

October 15, 2011 7:34:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, maybe. 

He can't even get blue at 1 without a leash + chain potting. He probably will still require one anyway unless they massively overbuff him or you start with E instead of Q (which means you can't gank until 3). But a +atk speed will help that still and help him jungle faster. 

Depending on how long they increase his ultimate... It's only 1.5 second right now but if you have your W up, +2 boots, and Ghost is on you can drag them across a quarter of the map basically... However, it is a bit weaker in terms of raw-killing power compared to a lot of Ults. 1v1 it's pretty much useless beyond the couple hundred damage you deal + free autoattack/ability while they are suppressed. I suspect they'll increase it maybe to 2 seconds, or 1.5/1.75/2. 

However, I'm still pretty excited about it. Talking with Thunder today and because of Everynamewstaken it's very likely I'm going to have to main a Jungler because of our team composition, so been eyeing Skarner a lot. But Anivia  

/wordswords. Theorycrafting in about 10 days after starting? Yes. Yes I am. 

October 15, 2011 9:06:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bah,

have we played together yet? I dont jungle, even though I heart Skarner. I dont care much if he still will suck. I'll still play him and lose like I have been.

But you never know, I may play him to death and be the worlds greatest Pokemon Skarner Summoner!!!!

Or I'll feed and do crazy teleports some more.

October 15, 2011 11:17:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just got my first referral bonus for 1 completed.... it's not as cool as I thought.  It's a 4 win IP boost.  Granted, its not bad or anything, its just not as good as a consistent IP boost even at a small rate.

October 15, 2011 7:03:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The rewards arent that great unless you get a ridiculous number of referrals.  Even the first skin that you get (at 50 referrals) is a pretty lame skin.

October 15, 2011 7:35:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
/wordswords. Theorycrafting in about 10 days after starting? Yes. Yes I am.

I would expect nothing less from ya Hedgie. 

October 15, 2011 8:30:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the 10 referral 975 rp. That about as high as I could manage >:

October 16, 2011 12:30:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

random interlude - the most important halo anniversary video you will ever see.  View and weep you suckers without kinect.

October 16, 2011 9:39:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I could NEVER see myself doing that lmao.

October 16, 2011 3:21:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Anyone watching/watched any of the Extreme Masters Tourny?

Ive learn a bit from it.

Shame most PUG's dont follow the feel of these.

October 16, 2011 11:01:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so that 4 game IP bonus I mentioned you get for referrals - just played and won a game with it enabled.  Got 145 IP for that bonus alone.  Not sure if that's just a static number or what exactly, but if it is static, then referring a person that gets to level 5 gets you 580 IP.  Not exactly awesome, but its something anyway.

October 18, 2011 12:53:46 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Random blahblah - so, I've been playing a variety of characters lately and am starting to get quite decent with several imo.  Been toying about in the middle lane with reasonable success (mostly as Brand).  Brand is excellent for team comp imo.  Very squishy if the other team can get at you in a team fight - but if they can't, the damage output is through the roof. 

Another character I worked on a bit (name elludes me atm, but she has a magician costume that you can buy and her ult is to cast any of her abilities a second time that does substantial damage - she also has a unique standard ability that makes her invisible for like .5 seconds and makes a duplicate appear in her place.  Anyway, she's awesome at nuking single targets and ok at chasing, but that's about it.  Super great for dueling and you can accomplish a hell of a lot if you are middle lane with meiji's soulstealer.  But if you don't rack up some early kills, I find her to be way too much of a waste.  She's excellent for roaming as well after level 6.  Anyway, seems HIGHLY dependent on those early kills (even without the soulstealer).  I think brand is a better choice due to being able to nuke AOE vs her ability to only nuke individual targets.  I really enjoy the playstyle with her, but its just not as good a choice as brand imo (if you had to pick one). 

Other random stuff - if i do get a chance to play a bit today, I'm only about 500 IP away from my 3rd health quint.  I'm looking forward to doing some jungling with that quint so I have enough durability to 1 side in like 5 minutes or so.  Without those quints, its pretty difficult to do so on many characters.  Anyway, I expect to start working my jungle again.  I played some with jungle trundle recently with quite a bit of success anyway; gotta say, though, jungling isn't my fav thing to do anymore.

AP sion - love it.  Was in a game with vlad and one of his buds the other day.  Vlad went tryn and his bud when ap sion.  At the end of the game, sion and tryn were soling their entire 5 man team multiple times.  They were even challenging the other team to meet in front of baron and whooped them there while we watched on and worked the lanes.  Anyway, this got me interested in playing some ap sion.  I've actually had alot of success with this too, though I'm still settling on the build I want.  Anyway, most games with me going AP sion have resulted in some pretty big wins.  That said, sion is currently my fav so I'll probably be playing alot more it. 

October 18, 2011 2:15:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LeBlanc is the one you were trying to think of.  She is really strong early but really weak late, which means that not a lot of people like playing her.

AP Sion is somewhat easily countered if the other team knows what they are doing and suffers from the problem that he doesnt fit into the meta real well.  He generally doesnt have the burst to really do a good job against the tanky DPS/sustain that gets put top, gets outranged mid where you cant really use bushes, and people want to put ad carries bot.  Back in the day when people put squishies top a lot he was really strong, but now its tough to say where he should lane.  If you can convince an ad carry to go top, he is really strong in bot lane with the right teammate though. 

October 18, 2011 3:06:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Krazikarl,
LeBlanc is the one you were trying to think of.

yup - spot on.  Be nice if they gave her some patch love. 

Re: AP Sion - I generally take the lane guesswork out of it.  I've just been beelining for bot lane immediately at the start - haven't had anyone complain to me about that yet.  Having a teammate that understands Sion's abilities makes it VERY easy to get early kills and get some additional AP into the build.  And having that stun is great for killing ults off (like kat, for instance).  Anyway, I've had mostly success - the only times when I've had issues so far is at mid during large team battles where I'm toward the front.  An 800 hp shield is great, but can only take so much nuking.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.