Help me out (noobie here)

By on August 16, 2011 11:13:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ialreadykne...

Join Date 08/2011
+1

So I'm new to the game, I was always interested in it but heard internet connectivity was @!% at the time. I hear now that things are better, and have bought the game and it will arrive here in a couple days...

First things first: which demigod do you think is the most difficult to play? I tend to learn best with my first character, so whoever I end up using first I will learn quickly - for me, I think it's best that I learn the "most difficult" demigod to play.

second thing is my style of play. I've played a lot of games so I know what I tend to like and hate. Back when I played World of warcraft (which i hear is similar to this) My favorite hero to use was Demon Hunter for his mana burn. (just letting you get a feel of the style of pvp I like to play as)

I like Mages (namely for their huge AOE aka area of effect  damage)

I like to support allies and disrupt enemies. (very nice feeling knowing you stopped an important skill)

sometimes I like to heal. (everyone loves the healer)

The thing that has me confused is the whole General and Assassin thing I have also looked up some builds on the wiki and some of the demigods seem to not play as what the whole general/assassin thing would suggest.

from what I gather, Assassin mostly focuses on himself and killing the enemies

while the general focuses on more units and support.

Is this accurate?

I'm thinking the assassin type of demigod would fit me better. However while reading the sedna guide, I notice that most think yeti's are terrible, so she seems like she would play as more of an assassin role (while of course healing) most of the time. some other demigod guides seem to do the same.

The demigods I think fit me best are:

Oak (General, but he does support and shield)

Sedna (healer)

Torchbearer or Oculus (mage)

I'm not sure who would be the best disrupt guy...

Locked Post 22 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 17, 2011 12:38:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First things first: which demigod do you think is the most difficult to play?

It varies.  I'd say hybrid tb requires the highest level of skill (hybrid = using both fire and ice forms).  After that, Da and Reg are the hardest to use well.  If you aren't skilled with either and pick them, you will likely cost your team a win.

I don't think it's best to learn the "hardest."  I know like 2-3 hybrid tbs that are good in all of Demigod... and that's talking about everyone that EVER played the game.  If you are brand new, you probably won't get added to that list.  I think it's best to play a stronger DG first to learn the game, then branch off and start using other dgs.

I'd suggest 3 dgs to learn and practice:  unclean beast, lord erebus, and oak.  These are by and large the easiest dgs to use (imo).  I'd suggest playing against the AI for several games to just learn what abilities they have and then venture onto MP. 

I like to support allies and disrupt enemies. (very nice feeling knowing you stopped an important skill)

Sedna, oak, tb.

Re: generals and assassins - the only real difference is that generals can purchase minions for themselves.  That means they can buy 2 healers and send them to their teammates etc.  Assassins can't buy minions.  Pro tip - generals usually buy monks as their first item.  LEARNING TO POSITION THOSE MONKS TO HEAL YOUR TEAMMATES AND YOURSELF IS CRUCIAL. 

The best for interrupts and slow is erebus late game.  He can stun via AOE and bite for a slow and armor reduction.  What you will find, however, is that in pro games, its all about chemistry between dgs.  For instance, chaining stuns, etc. 

Anyway, hope that helps and WELCOME!

edit - oh, download the mod package here and ENABLE the enhanced UI mod.  You will notice a huge difference that should help you out quite a bit:  http://forums.demigodthegame.com/399399

August 17, 2011 2:41:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
I'd suggest 3 dgs to learn and practice:  unclean beast, lord erebus, and oak.  These are by and large the easiest dgs to use

This is wrong, people expect things with unclean beast, erebus, and oak because of how powerful they are and if you're not able to pull your weight than you're going to lose.  

I'd suggest starting off with Torchbearer and staying in fire form.  TB's a nice neutral character who can be powerful but doesn't necessarily have to carry the team.  Just focus on farming creeps, attacking towers and jumping into battles to unload all of your spells whenever you can; he's also usually faster than everyone so you have a little more room for error.  Once you start to get a little better you can work on integrating ice skills.  Occulus is another character similiar to TB but requires a little more finesse to get the most out of.  

I like to support allies and disrupt enemies.

I'm thinking the assassin type of demigod would fit me better.

From your quotes it sounds like you would like Oak the most, he's a general who's really an assassin with a very important support skill (shield) and a great fast interrupt skill.  After figuring out the basic gameplay with TB you could try moving on to him.  

Also most importantly, there are a ton of useless items in this game.  Every character really only needs some mixture of banded armor, unbreakable boots, nimoths chest plate, plenor battle crown,  vlemish faceguard, nature's reckoning, heuberk of life and boots of speed.  Then for later in the game, journeyman treads, hungarlians crown, and orb of defiance.  <<<There are a couple other items that can be useful, but you should stick to these for now.  Also don't forget to buy your teleports and sigils and get the blood of the fallen favor item as soon as you can!

I should warn you too though, you picked a depressing time to join.  The game just had a 2 week downtime which probably lost many of the few few players we already had.  

August 17, 2011 3:58:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First things first: which demigod do you think is the most difficult to play?

on noob lvl most difficult: queen, U-beast
on mid lvl most difffcult: erebus, deamon assasin (never seen a good one in mid games.)
on pro lvl most difficult: all of them, number one being Unclean Beast followed by Queen of Thorns (rarely see a good ub or queen on the highest gameplay)

In general for starters good demigods are Regulus, Torchbearer and Sedna. All the others you need extensive  knowledge of how to execute their skills right and how to build your items.

regarding demigods I have a pro replay thread, where you can study builds on demigods.

--> http://forums.demigodthegame.com/408072

IMO these replays will save you time and from error of any outdated guide you find.

Just keep in mind that in noob games a lot of things that "pro" players pull off might not work. But looking and copying the items used in the replays called "pro" should give you a head start to any other new player.

If you have any more questions just let us know:)

August 17, 2011 11:45:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting JUSThaveFUN,

regarding demigods I have a pro replay thread, where you can study builds on demigods.

--> http://forums.demigodthegame.com/408072

IMO these replays will save you time and from error of any outdated guide you find.

thanks, I tried downloading one... what kind of player or program do I need to watch it though? my comp doesn't recognize the file (if I need demigod first that's fine, I will it's busy arriving here lol.)

I have also watched some youtube vids to see how people play,

like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7rjclicnY

August 17, 2011 12:45:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

You need Demigod installed to watch replays.

August 17, 2011 3:02:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

cool cool, time doesn't fly when you wait lol. feels like forever to get here, though it's only been 4 days, so tomorrow or 2 more days tops.

August 17, 2011 4:51:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi there and welcome to us!

You should pick a demigod you feel is "you" and simply learn it. Some takes more time then others, but in my view there isnt any more "better" then any other Demigod. It depends who plays it and how you do.

Unclean beast is powerfull and easy. No fancy things other then Melee and kick the living **** out of things.

However, you take damage fast too.....

As I read your post, I would suggest you would go with Torchbearer (known as TB). He isnt the EASY to play, but if you like to blow things up and learn, then pick him, and pick the fire skills. Its not THE BEST, but you will learn, and you will see how you like to play.

Also. The rook is a good newbie DG, even though very few thinks so. The rook is from the start hard to kill, so you can do a few misstakes, but just dont expect yourself to do much killing before you learn him. The rook is like chess, takes a second to learn, but a lifetime to master.

I would say that you should stay away from these Demigods in the start: Demo assassin, Queen, The fat cow on a chair and Lord Erebus.

Welcome, and I hope to see you in games with us!

August 17, 2011 5:55:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why is everyone but McShane telling this feller lies?

Play Fire TB.

-You'll learn the basics of the game with an easy Demigod to play.  He's got natural speed so you can get out of bad situations easier and "decent" HP for a ranged Demigod.  You won't have an interrupt, but when starting out you wouldn't know when to use it anyway.  All your burst damage should be a little easier to figure out when and where to use.  

-You don't have any preconceived strategical obligations.  In other words you can play as a team in a lane, or go on your own.  However if you play lets say Unclean Beast, you kinda have to go where you can keep up with the other teams Beast in levels if that makes sense.

-No builds, every fire skill is good-fantastic.  Get Circle Of Fire 1 then don't upgrade the skill until you've maxed everything else.  Get 1 mana Helm (Vlemish Facegaurd) and the rest HP/Armor items.  Get speed boots if you have to.  There, you now know how to play Fire TB like a boss.

August 17, 2011 5:59:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Maulkin,
The fat cow on a chair

Fat cow on a chair?  Have you ever actually looked at Occulus, the guy looks like he slurps back a galloon of oatmeal and 2 dozen egg whites everyday then hits the gym for 18 hours straight.   http://draginol.stardock.net/images/DemigodPreviewOculus_118A6/009_hero_oculus.jpg

August 17, 2011 6:07:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't listen to these people, they are bamboozling you because of politics...

The difference between as assassin or general is minions and meta hits.
-All assassins have a meta hit skill (will kill regular Minotaur, Archer or Priest in one hit regardless of hit points)
-All generals have a minion skill, and can purchase minion idols.

Additionally, assassins and generals have a special set of favor items exclusive to each type.

Unfortunately, the meta game is completely busted in Demigod so the above is mostly never realized, so the real things you need to know are
1) Life stacking and items (banded, scaled, unbreakable, Vlemish, Nimoth, scaled -> Plenor) (Tah dah, you just learned 90% of itemization in demigod)
2) Maximizing skill damage (look for builds in the forums)
3) Not dying (knowing when to withdraw, and not getting stuck overextended in a 1 + X on X)

Then team play
4) You cannot function in a team until you can do the above things. At which point you need to learn when to chase, withdraw, or teleport based on team needs. That comes with experience, and also works better when you play with a regular set of people.

Why learn these demigods first? Because they make the above easier and more obvious (so learn these 3 in any order you want, the better you are at the above 4 things, the better these demigods will be for you)

1) Oak
-Good damage + snare on a fast ranged interrupt: Penitence
-Hard to die with a little practice: Shield III is 6 seconds of invulnerability, enough time to teleport out when you are about to die
-Team based damage nova: Surge of Faith: Speeds up allies, and when coupled with Divine Justice, also recovers health/mana killing creeps

2) Lord Erebus
- Good Damage + Heal + snare in bite
- Escape death with bat swarm or mist
- Mass stun to daze enemies for 4 seconds

3) Unclean Beast
-Insane damage output
-Ooze makes it harder to get killed when you are ganked because it slows auto-attacks alot
-Grasp allows chain stuns

After that, things require more skill to execute properly (probably best to learn in this order)

4) Rook, very strong on a good team, but easy to get ganked on a weak one. Rook requires a good deal of patience, and an ability to read the "plays" as they are happening. So get some "not getting caught in a gank" experience 1st

5) Fire torch bearer, very good burst damage, and is exceptionally fast. Also sort of fragile. You need to know lane mechanics well, how to wear someone down and when you can confront them.

6) Occulus: Incredible Spam firepower and no interrupt means you need to be bang on in mana management and late game teamplay.

7) Sedna, team support via strong healing and anti-healing and 2 skill blockers in Pounce and Silence: You need to know how the other main demigods work, because you'll probably be paired with one (Oak, Rook, UB and LE)

8) Frost TB: Good snares, good disrupting of enemy skills and can freeze towers... but you need to understand how to manage life and mana, and you are a little underpowered in the damage output department

9) Queen of Thorns: She has incredible awesome white damage potential thanks to ground spikes, has a very strong start and can be a real pain to kill when you cycle your modes correctly, but, you need to be an expert on when to fire her skills, lane mechanics, and what mode to be in... she is very unforgiving to any mistakes because she has no interrupt, and rapidly loses power after level 10. Not only do you need to know how to play QoT, but the people on your team need to know how to play with her. This is problematic for beginners.

10) Regulus; Cross lane firepower, excellent snares, and explodey goodness with mines. Unfortunately your damage output is on the low side, you are fairly easy to push around, and you have no interrupt. You really need to be a team player and be able to read everything that is happening in the game. You cannot be good with Reg without understanding how the game works, yet you can think you are good with Reg if the other people you play against do not understand how the game works. (pretty much a n00b trap)

11) Demon Assassin: Swap is all around gankaliscious and warp strike is one of the best skills in the game. But you need to be able to float to get x + 1 on X advantages because demon assassin cannot contest in a straight up even fight. You need to know how every demigod works to be good with DA,

12) Hybrid Torch Bearer: When you know everything about demigod, you can become a nasty little pain in the ass who has good burst damage and disruption potential, but you need to have the timings and management down, or you are going to look real stupid and be ineffective.

August 17, 2011 6:27:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LORD-ORION,
Don't listen to these people, they are bamboozling you because of politics...

lol - what politics....

August 17, 2011 7:31:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting doggu,

Quoting LORD-ORION, reply 10Don't listen to these people, they are bamboozling you because of politics...

lol - what politics....

Demigod politics of what is overpowered and what is not.

August 17, 2011 9:23:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lord Orion is right as always.

But since I was a newbie myself not long ago, I know what to look for. Your explination is exellent! But to "hard" to read and understand right away. Beginners needs something easy. For exempel, its not obvious for everyone what a Teleport is, how to use it...when to....and even use it fast enough.

One thing you did say that though I forgot.

DONT EVER DIE! For those who dont know multiplayer, its more important to not to die, then simply stand around doing nothing. No joke.

When you die, you give ALOT of gold to your killer, who upgrades and strenghtens their team against your team.

August 17, 2011 10:23:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Maulkin,
Lord Orion is right as always.

But since I was a newbie myself not long ago, I know what to look for. Your explination is exellent! But to "hard" to read and understand right away. Beginners needs something easy. For exempel, its not obvious for everyone what a Teleport is, how to use it...when to....and even use it fast enough.

One thing you did say that though I forgot.

DONT EVER DIE! For those who dont know multiplayer, its more important to not to die, then simply stand around doing nothing. No joke.

When you die, you give ALOT of gold to your killer, who upgrades and strenghtens their team against your team.

unlike a lot of newer players though, I do my homework before playing a game.

I know what a teleport is, know that it can get interrupted, even read at least one guide on each demigod to get a feel of it in my head to knowing what I like and dislike. I do this with any game I'm sufficiently interested in, so it's not like it's exclusive or anything to this one.

I could say something here about my screename, but I won't since it's meant to be taken as a joke...

I will of course play this in single player to learn it - for those worried that I might ruin my teams victory cuz i'm new, don't worry the bots won't care, and of course I won't be such a noob once I eventually transfer to online play.

August 17, 2011 10:32:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just make sure you use the "enhanced ai" mod. The native ai in this game is worse than useless.

August 17, 2011 10:49:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting doggu,
Just make sure you use the "enhanced ai" mod. The native ai in this game is worse than useless.

Yeah I plan to, just a little worried that maybe enough other people use it online, since if they don't I read it causes problems...

August 17, 2011 11:38:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you don't have to enable it. You can join games that don't use it just fine. I was just suggesting if you are going to practice using sp then the mod will help you a lot in preparing for mp.

August 18, 2011 9:13:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-McShane87,
Fat cow on a chair? Have you ever actually looked at Occulus, the guy looks like he slurps back a galloon of oatmeal and 2 dozen egg whites everyday then hits the gym for 18 hours straight. http://draginol.stardock.net/images/DemigodPreviewOculus_118A6/009_hero_oculus.jpg
true true

August 23, 2011 9:39:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a question about the mod package:

when I installed it it says to make sure to disable or delete any ui mod included in it.

by default I noticed everything was disabled.

should I delete the ui mod?

August 23, 2011 11:24:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No.  The 1 mod you want to make sure you have enabled in game all the time in the ui mod. 

I think the message you read doesn't apply anymore and should have been removed from the executable. 

September 9, 2011 12:34:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Minor necro - so, how has it been going?

September 9, 2011 5:04:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He contacted me once and I played with him once. Maybe half a week ago or maybe more... But I think he might be done as I've never seen him again. Our match didn't get recorded, because of today's awesome server.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000813   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.