The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2v2 Demigod Invitational Tournament

By on May 15, 2011 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Demigod_Logo

*graphic courtesy of r_munch –thx!

Background

Back quite some time ago when we were talking about tournaments… WAAYYYYY back when I had that oh so very annoying thread about DG players – tier 1, tier 2 and those to be avoided (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/372184)…

… I had an idea.  What if we had a tournament where every player was teamed up with every other player.  This means, the tournament will really be about individual excellence.  We mix and match teams.  You don’t try to form team super perfect – you get an assigned teammate that changes each round.  For every win, each player on the team gets 1 point.  If you lose, you get nothing.  We do this until we go through the combinations.  The winner is the person with the most points as they were clearly the most effective on each team.   In the event of a tie… well… I’ll figure something out.  So, as you can see, this tournament is going to be structured VERY differently than our previous ones.  If all is well with the brackets, you will play on the same team with every single person exactly 1 time.

The Brackets

Although it probably doesn’t sound all that challenging to pull off, we actually had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with a decent bracket that would enable us to have the tournament they way we wanted it.  Thankfully, sledge was kind enough to help out and take the time to develop the brackets so I wouldn’t be doing all of the heavy lifting here.  Please give him some karma if you think of it.  At any rate, here’s a link to the brackets.  Please take a look to help get a better understanding of how things will work.  https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An02sqdF5v-EdG1hLTI1d3prLWpnWUpSRnNrbG9RMFE&hl=en_US&authkey=CLWZtdgO 

Be aware that we will have EXACTLY 16 players in this tournament.  In the event that we only have 15 players, we will add in 1 enhanced AI, etc

What is the schedule?

We should spend some time discussing this.  Technically, we could start immediately.  As you can see from the brackets, all you need is 3 other folks online at the same time to get a game in.  I propose that we setup some specifics dates and times that will be considered game days.  We can all show up during this time windows, pair up, and get some games in. 

What are the rules?
  • The tournament is 2v2 and is invitation only 
  • The map is cataract using default settings (AI settings will be on low gold/xp and high HP)
  • When the brackets are created (this happens right at the start of the tourney), the team that is on the left side of the bracket will be on the light side and the team on the right side of the bracket will be on the dark side
  • Each team may declare 1 of the opposing team's Demigods and the player that must use that Demigod. 
  • The team on light will tell a specific player on the dark side what dg they are to use.  Then, the team on dark will tell one player on the light side what Demigod they must use.  Then, the other player on the light team may pick any Demigod they want (no doubles).  And last, the remaining player on the dark team will pick any Demigod they want (no doubles)
  • All players must use uberfix 1.05 (you can download it here:  http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • Replays for all games must be uploaded to the Jee site by someone on the winning team.  This can easily be done when you report your results in on the Jee site.

What is the prize?
  • 1st place – $20 – pacov appears to be the only sponsor.  If you’d like to kick in some prize money, pm me.

Payouts will be delivered by PayPal.  If you don’t have a PayPal account, get one.  If you can’t do that, then you will not receive a payout for the cash prizes if you win.  If you do win, provide me with your PayPal addresses via pm on these forums and I will get you sorted in short order.  If the needed PayPal email address has not been provided in 1 week, the prize money is forfeit.  Cash is rendered via PayPal in US dollars.  If you are from another country, the conversion is provided by PayPal.  Any fee charged by PayPal will come directly out of your winnings (so its possible the winners could receive less than the listed payout).

How do I report my wins?
  1. This section needs updated – all wins should be reported via replays on jeeplays

Disqualifications

Thankfully, we have not had a need to disqualify any teams yet during our tournaments, but here are the ground rules.

1. Intentionally desyncing a game will result in a forfeit.  If you believe this has occurred, send me a copy of your DemigodLog.txt file.  I’ll request some additional files if needed.  Hopefully we can continue to keep this nonsense out of our tournaments going forward.
  2. If you have not played at least 1 game within the first week of the tournament, you can be dropped and replaced by another player.
  3. If you have not completed your games in a reasonable amount of time, you can be DQ’d
Locked Post 272 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 17, 2011 12:29:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let's get moving on this - BRING ME 3 MORE PEOPLE!!!

Think of folks you regularly play with.  Ragnarock comes to mind for one.  If you see him before me, please give him an invite and direct him to this thread.

June 17, 2011 3:45:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Iz?

June 17, 2011 5:09:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Insidious left demigod at least for a while and went to LoL, because of connection issues, so he won't participate. I am doubting about participating myself though...

June 17, 2011 9:03:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why dont you just cut the numbers?

June 17, 2011 10:28:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting visca_el_barca,
why dont you just cut the numbers?

The brackets wont work. 16 is the easiest number to do it with. 

June 18, 2011 12:53:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

buck up dark - same with you visca.  I feel pretty confident I could win a game with either of you on my team.  I think both of you are in good company even if you might have had a few crappy games recently.  And besides, honestly, I think I could win the whole tournament - but I don't really care.  I just think it will be fun to play with the rules as they are (remember - you get teamed up with everyone.  Some games you will just kick ass - other games you will lose.  And its the same for all of us.  So, if you think it would be fun to play with everyone and give it your all, then do it and have fun.  If you are worried someone is going to bust your chops, mute the bastard with the new enhanced ui mod.  At any rate, odds are you'll enjoy at least 50% of your 16 or so games. 

Anyway, the bottom line question I'd ask is this:  even if you think you might not win, don't you think you'll enjoy the experience of playing with everyone?

edit - oh and a tree at r_munch's house caught on fire.  As a result, he's resigned from the tournament, but asked vixel to take his place.  I accepted.

mcbane?  In or out?

June 18, 2011 1:55:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

orcun would play if the tourney only takes 4 weeks, which seems unlikely

June 18, 2011 7:48:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I rarely get the time to play demigod nowdays so a tourney for me is out of the question at the moment.

June 18, 2011 8:24:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still I would like to back-up what Pacov said. If 16 play then 15 will lose. Means if you lose you are in the majority. Personally I dont even think I have the chance to win. Still you get presumably 15 good games and thats the only reason I would like to play. So to me not playing the tourney is like not wanting to play Demigod at all anymore. Now of course there are good reasons not to play like house cought on fire, only having 4 weeks to play but besides that if you play every day anyways then why not play the tourney?

June 18, 2011 11:11:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
edit - oh and a tree at r_munch's house caught on fire. As a result, he's resigned from the tournament, but asked vixel to take his place. I accepted.
lol i thought that they were one and the same person

June 18, 2011 3:16:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ironhide_facepalm

June 18, 2011 3:49:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol

June 18, 2011 4:58:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SLEDGE71,
if you play every day anyways then why not play the tourney?

Im not playing everyday and i wont cose i dont have the time anymore. Also, demigod doesnt interest me anymore [e digicons]:'([/e] . Unfortunate or not, this is whats happening.

June 20, 2011 5:18:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We could get this tourney started with less than 16 peeps without having to fill in any ai player. We could split the field in groups. With 13 you do three groups one with five players and two with 4. First two of each group and the third of the 5 player group and the best third in the four player groups go on to a 8 player field to play out the winner of the tournament. The other 5 could play another small tourney for the rankings. I have a schedule for 4, 5, 8 and 16 players so any combination is fine. Just a thought.

June 20, 2011 3:36:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was thinking about trying to get in on this tourney, since my connection situation has improved recently.

But... maybe I'm missing something, but this looks like a Reg/DA vs Reg/DA tourney.  Ummm... well... really?

June 20, 2011 4:53:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then you missed the changes during last week Thundercles. One of the players is forced to play a certain DG the other can freely chose. So unless you are a "I play only DA or Reg" player, that combo is even highly unlikely.

June 20, 2011 5:32:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah - I must have forgotten to update the OP with the new rules.  That's sorted now.  So, Thunder, you want in? 

Also sledge, that might be a good idea regarding breaking off into a smaller tourney if needed. 

June 21, 2011 2:58:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

man, look at you. I stop playing with you for one week and you're like BACK TO DEMIGOD~

Traitor. 

June 21, 2011 8:34:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
man, look at you. I stop playing with you for one week and you're like BACK TO DEMIGOD~

Traitor. 

Hey hedige?  IN YOUR FACE.

June 21, 2011 8:41:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heya

It looks like it will take a while to start the tourney, i have time until 13th of July pretty much . Then wrapping up and saying good bye to US of A. I will be back in Turkey for a while and i have no idea how the connection would be there. I would be glad if you can make a post on how long the tourney will likely to last Pacov once it is clear. If it is a short one like 2-3 weekends, i might be able to join but otherwise i don't want to commit and leave in the middle of it which would probably create problems. 

If i can't make it to the tourney, i would like to make a DG night to have a chance to say goodbye to all and play for the last time sometime soon.

June 21, 2011 10:40:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi, if you still need some players I would be interested in joining the tournament.

June 21, 2011 7:38:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[e digicons]:')[/e]

June 22, 2011 3:16:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You said 3 more people and we start.

Homer87

IN1

McShane said the day before yesterday for the second time that he will probably play.

Thats three.

June 22, 2011 3:48:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uh, wait a minute! I'd like to get a bit more practice beforehand -- that's for sure. Basically, I'm not too excited after familiarizing myself with the rules, as: (1) I suck 2v2; (2) I suck with all DGs, but three, maybe four. I would participate just to allow this whole thing to commence, though.

June 22, 2011 11:38:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are you better than a nightmare ai?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000688   Page Render Time: