The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2v2 Demigod Invitational Tournament

By on May 15, 2011 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Demigod_Logo

*graphic courtesy of r_munch –thx!

Background

Back quite some time ago when we were talking about tournaments… WAAYYYYY back when I had that oh so very annoying thread about DG players – tier 1, tier 2 and those to be avoided (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/372184)…

… I had an idea.  What if we had a tournament where every player was teamed up with every other player.  This means, the tournament will really be about individual excellence.  We mix and match teams.  You don’t try to form team super perfect – you get an assigned teammate that changes each round.  For every win, each player on the team gets 1 point.  If you lose, you get nothing.  We do this until we go through the combinations.  The winner is the person with the most points as they were clearly the most effective on each team.   In the event of a tie… well… I’ll figure something out.  So, as you can see, this tournament is going to be structured VERY differently than our previous ones.  If all is well with the brackets, you will play on the same team with every single person exactly 1 time.

The Brackets

Although it probably doesn’t sound all that challenging to pull off, we actually had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with a decent bracket that would enable us to have the tournament they way we wanted it.  Thankfully, sledge was kind enough to help out and take the time to develop the brackets so I wouldn’t be doing all of the heavy lifting here.  Please give him some karma if you think of it.  At any rate, here’s a link to the brackets.  Please take a look to help get a better understanding of how things will work.  https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An02sqdF5v-EdG1hLTI1d3prLWpnWUpSRnNrbG9RMFE&hl=en_US&authkey=CLWZtdgO 

Be aware that we will have EXACTLY 16 players in this tournament.  In the event that we only have 15 players, we will add in 1 enhanced AI, etc

What is the schedule?

We should spend some time discussing this.  Technically, we could start immediately.  As you can see from the brackets, all you need is 3 other folks online at the same time to get a game in.  I propose that we setup some specifics dates and times that will be considered game days.  We can all show up during this time windows, pair up, and get some games in. 

What are the rules?
  • The tournament is 2v2 and is invitation only 
  • The map is cataract using default settings (AI settings will be on low gold/xp and high HP)
  • When the brackets are created (this happens right at the start of the tourney), the team that is on the left side of the bracket will be on the light side and the team on the right side of the bracket will be on the dark side
  • Each team may declare 1 of the opposing team's Demigods and the player that must use that Demigod. 
  • The team on light will tell a specific player on the dark side what dg they are to use.  Then, the team on dark will tell one player on the light side what Demigod they must use.  Then, the other player on the light team may pick any Demigod they want (no doubles).  And last, the remaining player on the dark team will pick any Demigod they want (no doubles)
  • All players must use uberfix 1.05 (you can download it here:  http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • Replays for all games must be uploaded to the Jee site by someone on the winning team.  This can easily be done when you report your results in on the Jee site.

What is the prize?
  • 1st place – $20 – pacov appears to be the only sponsor.  If you’d like to kick in some prize money, pm me.

Payouts will be delivered by PayPal.  If you don’t have a PayPal account, get one.  If you can’t do that, then you will not receive a payout for the cash prizes if you win.  If you do win, provide me with your PayPal addresses via pm on these forums and I will get you sorted in short order.  If the needed PayPal email address has not been provided in 1 week, the prize money is forfeit.  Cash is rendered via PayPal in US dollars.  If you are from another country, the conversion is provided by PayPal.  Any fee charged by PayPal will come directly out of your winnings (so its possible the winners could receive less than the listed payout).

How do I report my wins?
  1. This section needs updated – all wins should be reported via replays on jeeplays

Disqualifications

Thankfully, we have not had a need to disqualify any teams yet during our tournaments, but here are the ground rules.

1. Intentionally desyncing a game will result in a forfeit.  If you believe this has occurred, send me a copy of your DemigodLog.txt file.  I’ll request some additional files if needed.  Hopefully we can continue to keep this nonsense out of our tournaments going forward.
  2. If you have not played at least 1 game within the first week of the tournament, you can be dropped and replaced by another player.
  3. If you have not completed your games in a reasonable amount of time, you can be DQ’d
Locked Post 272 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 8, 2011 2:40:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So here are the basic ideas:

1. Both teams choose the dgs used by the other team (likely da/reg wars)
  2. 1 player on each team is forced to play a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick whatever they want
  3. 1 player on each team is forced to play a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick what they want from a restricted selection list
  4. Each team can choose the 1 player on their team that will be forced to use a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick whatever they want
  5. Each team can choose the 1 player on their team that will be forced to use a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick what they want from a restricted selection list

So - if we go with the "whatever you want" options (2 and 4), we'll see erb/oak/ub/rook used in most circumstances as the 2nd dg.

If we go with a restricted selection list (options 3 and 5), we'll likely never see erb/oak/ub/rook as they will probably be restricted. 

sooo....

zen said 2 or 4.  Sledge seemed to want to stick with option 1.  I say 2 or 4.

Votey vote

let's finalize this and then we'll finalize our participants.

June 8, 2011 3:07:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Zen the list to pick from during the tourney is a nice idea in theory. How do you want to check and keep track who played what so far? What do you want to do if one player breaks that rule? It makes it way too complicated.

IF we go for only 1 player has to play what the other team wants then the enemy team should be able to pick the player who is forced to play a certain DG. So options 2 or 3.  Am not too picky on which one. 

The question is then though is the forced one determined first or the free to pick one? Think its more teamwork challenging to first determine the forced DG and then have the free pick. So light picks for Dark, then Dark picks for light. Then dark can pick freely their second and then light picks their free DG.

June 8, 2011 3:50:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Id like to resign from the competition. I realised im nowhere as good as i thought i am so no point in testing my skills in these games. Hope you can find someone else for my place. 

June 8, 2011 4:08:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
heh - bad example, though. I hear qot/reg vs reg/da and I think it will be an interesting game - I actually think reg/da have would win that match up with good players on both teams. Sure - the team without the qot wouldn't have any towers, but they'd have gold from the kills.
i wanna see how u kill qot with reg/da and how u handle to play without monks 

June 8, 2011 4:17:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nnnils,

sounds like a challenge.  Find yourself a qot.  I'll take a reg. 

June 8, 2011 4:19:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting visca_el_barca,
Id like to resign from the competition. I realised im nowhere as good as i thought i am so no point in testing my skills in these games. Hope you can find someone else for my place. 

Sorry to hear that, but its up to you, of course.  There are varied skill levels and its mostly just about having fun.  So, your call of course.  Once we finalize the rules I'll post the folks that are planning on participating.  If you want back in at that time, just chime on in.  You are welcome to play if you want. 

June 8, 2011 9:57:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zen_God,

Quoting OMG_ZEX, reply 124
Quoting Zen_God, reply 119

that's a big fat lie. Also there needs more finesse to be added, something like pacov suggested, otherwise every game will be da reg and queen 

How is this a lie?

Do you think oculus beats rook early game? LOL

Do you think Erebus beats UB late game? LOL as long it's not 1v1 yeah a lot of combos can beat your no monk combo noob

I am talking about if someone picks UB there has to be a UB on the opposing team

I am not talking specifically about the UB, rook combo. God you need to learn how to fucking read. 

June 9, 2011 3:04:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
I am talking about if someone picks UB there has to be a UB on the opposing team
i think i got an interesting combo with pacov and a third solid player that would blow your mind and your ub in a 3v3. 

June 9, 2011 7:58:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,

how about mines+swap combo? )

June 9, 2011 11:21:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it´s really a nice idea that the opposite side chooses the DGs!

Too bad I´m a newbie, it would be fun I guess.

But I can allow myself the simple hope that there will be one more in the future!

June 9, 2011 8:10:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any more feedback on the suggested dg selection rules?  If not, I'll just make a decision tonight or tomorrow and we'll move on.

June 10, 2011 2:03:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK folks.  As there wasn't a lot of feedback, I'm going to make a decision on the dg selection rules and then we'll move on to confirming who all is playing and recruit additional folks if needed, etc. 

Here's a recap of the proposed rules:

1. Both teams choose the dgs used by the other team (likely da/reg wars)
  2. 1 player on each team is forced to play a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick whatever they want
  3. 1 player on each team is forced to play a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick what they want from a restricted selection list
  4. Each team can choose one player on their team that will be forced to use a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick whatever they want
  5. Each team can choose the 1 player on their team that will be forced to use a dg of the other teams choosing - the other players get to pick what they want from a restricted selection list

We'll be going with option 2. 

And I'll flesh this out a wee bit just so its crystal clear.  Both teams will declare which player on their team will be forced to use whatever dg the other team chooses.  Once that is done, the team on dark will select one of the players on light and either have them pick a dg or force the player that was chosen to be whatever dg dark want's them to play as.  Then, the dark side will be told which dg one of them has to use.  Then the other dark player will pick whatever dg they want and ready up.  Then, light will go last for the final dg.

Any questions or any confusion on this?

June 10, 2011 4:38:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Corrected so now invalid.

June 10, 2011 5:46:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Woo!!!!!!! UB + whatever tourney!

June 10, 2011 7:37:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I edited that, sledge.  Let me know if I'm made it better or worse.  Option 2 is what we'll do.  Sorry!

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
Woo!!!!!!! UB + whatever tourney!

I don't think that's how it will be, though.  Not everyone has a solid ub and would choose to use him if they have the option. 

June 11, 2011 12:59:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK - so any remaining questions about the rules?  Reply here asap.  Then I'll post of a list of folks that want to play and we go from there.  Hopefully we can get started withing 5 days... we will see.

June 11, 2011 4:01:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with pacov that there are not enough good ub's. I would be more afraid of the rook. Furthermore, most likey the higher experienced player will take the weaker demigod than let the less experienced player play a demigod who he or she completely sucks with.

June 11, 2011 10:10:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you think about it a bit longer I think you will see that it will be not a lot of UBs or it will depend.

I think we need to specify the DG picking a bit more, pacov has corrected it but now some things are not clarified. So both teams are in the lobby, from the schedule it is clear who is on light and who on dark.

Step1: both teams declare which player on the other team will be forced to play a DG of their choice. I dont think it is really important who declares that first but I am 100% sure there will be someone who thinks its important so we should also determine which side has to declare the forced player first.

Step2: Dark now has the option to either tell light which DG they have to play or let the other player on light pick his free DG first.

Step3: Light would (in theory) have the choice to either tell the free player on Dark to make his pick and then tell the forced player his DG or tell the forced player first and then let the other player pick. I think no one will tell the forced DG first as it would give more options to the free to pick player.

Step4: Depending on Step2 Dark either has a free choice now or will hear from light which DG the player will play.

Now my point against the UB. I think in most cases you will have to pick your DG first and then hear what the teammate will play. It has some advantages to have at least one general on your team. As most probably the forced DG will not be a general, I think the free choice will be a general in most games. But it could also come different.

Pacov I think you should take these four steps and post them somewhere official so there is no discussion in game lobbies about it. You will have to rephrase them ofc.

June 11, 2011 4:08:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hrmmm... knowing you are going to get stuck with DA /REG and that you will be doing the same to them, aren't you going to be choosing LE if you make them play Reg, or Oak if you make them play DA?

What if someone "throws" the game to deliver points to their favorite player by choosing that their team play UB when the points at the final standing start to come to light?

Can we maybe have a tournament where the 2 gits don't get played so we can see some more interesting games?

eg: You can only tell them to play Occ / QoT / TB / Sedna

DA / Reg are sidelined (again you can't even choose to play them yourself to "throw" a game)

And you get to choose Rook / UB / Oak / LE

The order of DG descision steps for both teams goes like this simultaneously

1) You pick who you will make them play (this is revealed to the tournament staff, not the other team)

2) You pick who your "Champion" will be

3) You learn who you are getting as your weak(er) DG.

June 11, 2011 11:27:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would be in favor of eliminating UB and Rook from the tourney.

June 12, 2011 12:22:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oo... let's discuss.... rook ub removed.... is that good for the tourney?

June 12, 2011 4:47:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
I would be in favor of eliminating UB and Rook from the tourney.

I agree. Without them you can make more interesting combos, not only Rook\Ub + somebody.. 

June 12, 2011 8:23:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree that Rook and UB are the "best" DGs at least on cataract and that I cannot remember a game without at least one of them. Orions suggestion is too complicated in my eyes and would create confusion during the games. He mentions one important thing though. I hope everyone plays for him-/herself only and doesnt play crap on purpose so his buddy opponent gets the win. The players I know in the tourney have such a big ego that I doubt they would do that but I do not know all of them. Is that a problem or not?

June 12, 2011 3:39:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
oo... let's discuss.... rook ub removed.... is that good for the tourney?
lol removing is always a terrible idea. And the whole idea of your tournament was who is best with every demigod. Now it will be oak or erebus every game what a difference!

June 12, 2011 4:16:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had a more well thought out post that covered the pros and cons... but I managed to close my browser ( pacov).  So, a quick recap.  Consider the game where it will be me and darkliath.  I get forced to be da or something.  She can pick whatever she wants.  Do you think I want her to pick ub or rook?  Nope - I'd prefer to cater to her strengths and have fun.  Every match will certainly not have ub or rook or even erb or oak if we removed rook/ub as an option.  Remember, you have to factor in that every player is not excellent with all dgs.  What I expect to happen is that in every matchup, the strongest player on each team will likely be forced to play a weaker dg.  This will almost always mean that the best ub on the team won't get to play ub, etc.  Which is kind of the point.  THAT is what should make the difference in most matches - not the fact that you have to

So, let's just leave the rules as they are and get onto the roster.  Remember - we have exactly 16 slots available. 

Just a quick update - here is the final list of participants:

1. pacov
  2. zex
  3. r_munch
  4. nnnils
  5. sledge71
  6. darkliath? 
  7. HempRX
  8. mith
  9. zen_god
  10. jona
  11. Dreamcatcher
  12. doggu
  13. tactical

Is there anyone on this list that is no longer planning on playing or anyone that I missed?  If the list is correct, then we have exactly 3 openings. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: