The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2v2 Demigod Invitational Tournament

By on May 15, 2011 2:14:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

Demigod_Logo

*graphic courtesy of r_munch –thx!

Background

Back quite some time ago when we were talking about tournaments… WAAYYYYY back when I had that oh so very annoying thread about DG players – tier 1, tier 2 and those to be avoided (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/372184)…

… I had an idea.  What if we had a tournament where every player was teamed up with every other player.  This means, the tournament will really be about individual excellence.  We mix and match teams.  You don’t try to form team super perfect – you get an assigned teammate that changes each round.  For every win, each player on the team gets 1 point.  If you lose, you get nothing.  We do this until we go through the combinations.  The winner is the person with the most points as they were clearly the most effective on each team.   In the event of a tie… well… I’ll figure something out.  So, as you can see, this tournament is going to be structured VERY differently than our previous ones.  If all is well with the brackets, you will play on the same team with every single person exactly 1 time.

The Brackets

Although it probably doesn’t sound all that challenging to pull off, we actually had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with a decent bracket that would enable us to have the tournament they way we wanted it.  Thankfully, sledge was kind enough to help out and take the time to develop the brackets so I wouldn’t be doing all of the heavy lifting here.  Please give him some karma if you think of it.  At any rate, here’s a link to the brackets.  Please take a look to help get a better understanding of how things will work.  https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An02sqdF5v-EdG1hLTI1d3prLWpnWUpSRnNrbG9RMFE&hl=en_US&authkey=CLWZtdgO 

Be aware that we will have EXACTLY 16 players in this tournament.  In the event that we only have 15 players, we will add in 1 enhanced AI, etc

What is the schedule?

We should spend some time discussing this.  Technically, we could start immediately.  As you can see from the brackets, all you need is 3 other folks online at the same time to get a game in.  I propose that we setup some specifics dates and times that will be considered game days.  We can all show up during this time windows, pair up, and get some games in. 

What are the rules?
  • The tournament is 2v2 and is invitation only 
  • The map is cataract using default settings (AI settings will be on low gold/xp and high HP)
  • When the brackets are created (this happens right at the start of the tourney), the team that is on the left side of the bracket will be on the light side and the team on the right side of the bracket will be on the dark side
  • Each team may declare 1 of the opposing team's Demigods and the player that must use that Demigod. 
  • The team on light will tell a specific player on the dark side what dg they are to use.  Then, the team on dark will tell one player on the light side what Demigod they must use.  Then, the other player on the light team may pick any Demigod they want (no doubles).  And last, the remaining player on the dark team will pick any Demigod they want (no doubles)
  • All players must use uberfix 1.05 (you can download it here:  http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • Replays for all games must be uploaded to the Jee site by someone on the winning team.  This can easily be done when you report your results in on the Jee site.

What is the prize?
  • 1st place – $20 – pacov appears to be the only sponsor.  If you’d like to kick in some prize money, pm me.

Payouts will be delivered by PayPal.  If you don’t have a PayPal account, get one.  If you can’t do that, then you will not receive a payout for the cash prizes if you win.  If you do win, provide me with your PayPal addresses via pm on these forums and I will get you sorted in short order.  If the needed PayPal email address has not been provided in 1 week, the prize money is forfeit.  Cash is rendered via PayPal in US dollars.  If you are from another country, the conversion is provided by PayPal.  Any fee charged by PayPal will come directly out of your winnings (so its possible the winners could receive less than the listed payout).

How do I report my wins?
  1. This section needs updated – all wins should be reported via replays on jeeplays

Disqualifications

Thankfully, we have not had a need to disqualify any teams yet during our tournaments, but here are the ground rules.

1. Intentionally desyncing a game will result in a forfeit.  If you believe this has occurred, send me a copy of your DemigodLog.txt file.  I’ll request some additional files if needed.  Hopefully we can continue to keep this nonsense out of our tournaments going forward.
  2. If you have not played at least 1 game within the first week of the tournament, you can be dropped and replaced by another player.
  3. If you have not completed your games in a reasonable amount of time, you can be DQ’d
Locked Post 272 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 28, 2011 6:11:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So you not playing tournament?

June 28, 2011 8:13:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SLEDGE71,
doggu answered very quick but "what game? I dont follow" and "sorry count me out I am on my way to work", but meanwhile I also have a good answer from him, so doggus answer was also something I can work with.

yeah sorry you caught me on the way out the door. Work is rather time consuming at the moment so I think that if the games need to be played around US prime, which would be mornings here, I really need to schedule for the weekends. I cant see this changing for a while. If you would like to cut me from draw that is fine also as I can see this being a problem - i.e. only being available 1-2 days a week.

Quoting OMG__IN1,
I've never been contacted by you, Sledge. Yes, I am sure. Yes, I usually get all my PMs intact. In fact, I don't even have you on my contact list

re. this, I have like 3 or 4 contacts for you in dg (IN1, OMG_IN1, OMG__IN1, OMG___IN1 and some other one) - are they all current?

June 28, 2011 8:23:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My nick on the forums is my main acc (which is logical, no? ) and I always check it. I have only 2 accs: OMG__IN1 (double underscore; was IN1 before OMG) and OMG_IN1_.

June 29, 2011 5:01:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... As stated, I have only 2 accs. Probably OMG_IN1 did not get deleted as a record when I transferred my acc to another email. See for yourself when that last game I played on OMG_IN1 was. Anyway, my nick on the forums is my main acc. Not complicated.

June 29, 2011 5:16:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

not the point

June 29, 2011 6:00:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, but I fail to see how your point is relevant to this discussion  Anyhow, now it's sorted out, Sledge has me on his contact list.

July 2, 2011 10:32:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... Not sure if there was any action yet, but at least nobody contacted me yet for a match in any way. I am available quite often lately, so it shouldn't be difficult to contact me. I am free since afternoon till late night Eu time (not whole time, but most of it). I am not often in game though, so to contact me the easiest way if through ventrilo. Hope to play some matches soon, because it looks like nothing is happening yet...

To all participants. I highly recommend ventrilo at least for contacting issues, as contacting in game is terrible. Laggy, no sound notification, requires launching the game...

July 2, 2011 12:04:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was hoping more would show up by now to play some games. Its saturday afternoon in US and evening in Europe. Only Dark on vent, ingame is only IN1 (or I have again the wrong nicks), no one posted here.

July 2, 2011 12:26:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now if only the bracket had the 4 of us playing each other

Anyway, I'm floating around.  The whole open games.asp issue is probably hurting this a bit (note - I found a solution - see other thread).

Other side note - this is the 4th of July weekend in the US.  That means a pretty good number of us go to parties, have people over, etc.  EG, this is probably not the best time for a game.

As awesome as it sounds, I'm thinking of making a big push for next Saturday and then cancelling the tournament if we can't get things going.  Barring that, I'll modify the brackets so that we can a least play a game with anyone that shows up. 

July 2, 2011 1:08:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand the part with the holiday weekend. Maybe we can later meet online and play a game with tourney rules even if it doesnt count.

July 2, 2011 3:20:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SLEDGE71,
I understand the part with the holiday weekend. Maybe we can later meet online and play a game with tourney rules even if it doesnt count.

I'm fine w that... I'm around for the next couple of hours or so.

July 7, 2011 11:14:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will be gone over the weekend (birthdayparty) and wont be able to play until sunday. Sorry for that.

July 15, 2011 5:09:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my opinion this tourney won't happen... Players are disappearing or very rarely playing at all. Nothing is being scheduled nor anything is talked about this at all. Haven't been invited yet to any single game and it's quite some time after the start... Don't even think that a single match has happened... If by some miracle this tourney still continues, I am very often available on ventrilo and don't think it's so difficult to contact me... However have no ideas how to contact most of the others, so I guess they are not too interested in this... I actually am getting less interested also...

Additional note. Players participating in tourney have greatly reduced their games played since opengames.asp removal.

July 15, 2011 7:11:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Additional note. Players participating in tourney have greatly reduced their games played since opengames.asp removal.

According to my observations, that is untrue. You are projecting your own feelings onto the rest of the community. Sorry if my reply sounds harsh, but this kind of false info, especially coming from you, does not help us at all. The only two players of note that are clearly affected by the disappearance of opengames.asp are you and Iz. All the rest managed to make the smooth transfer to Impulse.

July 15, 2011 7:48:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG__IN1,
According to my observations, that is untrue. You are projecting your own feelings onto the rest of the community. Sorry if my reply sounds harsh, but this kind of false info, especially coming from you, does not help us at all. The only two players of note that are clearly affected by the disappearance of opengames.asp are you and Iz. All the rest managed to make the smooth transfer to Impulse.

Well I checked how many games played tourney participants (didn't look all others). Sledge stopped playing (maybe just a pause, don't know). Tactical lowered amount of games played (maybe not because of that but still). Homer also plays less (also don't know the reason). Jona doesn't play. Mithrandar... not even sure if he is anywhere. Cow is also missing. Maybe reason is another so I might have stated false.

Also today I tried to get some games, but I guess i missed by hosting modded ones while others joined someone not modded. Or was he named full, because it was already played match? Not sure... I hate how "full" means game in progress with all players and also a full lobby... But maybe I don't understand something here... Moreover, the amount of players includes AI (as I noticed), so if I see a "waiting" 5/6 and join it. Then I might see only one other player and 4 AI...

Well maybe I was addicted to opengames.asp, but it greatly helped (me) to save lots of waiting time. Now without that... it's most often just a waste of time sitting and waiting for lobby  (not hosting, because alt + tabbing will crash).

I really want to know if we continue this tourney or should I give up with it... As it's weekend, I'll be available always EU evening to night time (-7-8 hours US time). So contact me through vent...

July 15, 2011 8:12:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Homer also plays less (also don't know the reason). Jona doesn't play. Mithrandar... not even sure if he is anywhere. Cow is also missing. 

In all honesty, I have seen Homer exactly once, and no Jona, Mith, or Cow (chatted with him on Vent, but that's it) since my comeback a month ago, so excuse me, your argument looks a bit... manipulated, should I say? These people haven't been playing for months, and I really doubt the absence of opengames.asp had any role in it.

July 15, 2011 8:34:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Darkliath,
Maybe reason is another so I might have stated false.

Read until the end.

But as you see participants... are not active...

July 16, 2011 5:52:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm active!

July 16, 2011 5:58:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting oO-DreamCatcheR-Oo,
I'm active
wb

July 16, 2011 6:36:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is this thing still active and if so, would I be allowed in? I accept if not since I am not a pro player. However, I am confident enough to start calling myself a "mid" player.

July 31, 2011 11:00:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think its generally clear that this isn't going to happen.  Scheduling issues and the format seem to make it somewhat impossible unfortunately.  So, thank you everyone for your interest and thanks to sledge for all that heavy lifting creating a schedule.  I'm all for doing this on a smaller scale in the future (6-8 people tops that are all available at the same time).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: