The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: What would you do?

By on April 7, 2011 2:55:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This month marks the two year anniversary of Demigod's initial release. It's time to start thinking about its future.

If you had your way, what would you do with Demigod?

For example: For a Demgiod v1.5, what key tweaks would you do in that?

For a Demigod expansion, what would you do in that?

For a Demigod sequel, what would you do in that?

We'd like to hear how you guys would like to see Demigod evolve in the future.

+891 Karma | 262 Replies
April 13, 2011 1:32:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game doesn't need 14 demigods. 

If each demigod had at least 5 viable skill tree/favor/item combinations then it's going to be way better. I'm way behind frogboy on that. I think 10 - 12 is the most we need, and any more than that should be a very, very low priority. 

Also, the game has extremely good balance. That is, when equally skilled players play different demigod compositions the chance of winning is generally around 50%. There are exceptions to this, mostly a case of just a bad demigod lineup (DA/Reg/TB). 

The game has very, very poor internal balance. That is, the choices you are presented in-game (skills, item, and favor) all generally have 2-3 options that completely overshadow the remaining dozens you have. 

External balance =/= Internal balance

April 13, 2011 7:39:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One more patch for DG would be good, installing all the community made mods and fixing little things like Occ not showing shield, DA doing the funky moon walk and priests not getting stuck in the cit.

I don't think any more expansions would be worthwhile to anyone, the online player base is too small now.

With Demigod 2 there must be a way for the studio & publisher to garner additional revenue from developing the game on an ongoing basis by charging for additional maps and DG's and what not otherwise the game will always eventually die out, not items though as then the rich would just pwn everyone else.

I still think you should charge for the initial purchase but the life blood of the game must come from micro transactions which in turn would help green light expansion packs. The only way to have a game that is continually improved and worked upon is to have that ongoing revenue stream. I am not really a fan of subscriptions, I think only epic games like WOW can get away with this.

Other gameplay styles could be introduced with maybe one of these basic styles being free to play and then you have to pay for the other styles of game or expansion of the initial game type.

I like the idea that each DG was supposed to have their own castle on the map, this could be one extra style. The DG's could be deployed as generals in a broader strategy type game a la kings & castles, this could be another game play style. If GPG were on board, you could just re skin the basic K&C with Demigod graphics for example. I do feel that the basic gameplay of DG1 should be held true to in any further installment at least as one section of a larger pie.

Fan designed maps could be approved & then rendered by professionals before being sold with the fan getting a slice of the income from the map sale as an incentive. I do like the art of the current maps so wouldn't want them looking too crap. I'm sure many people will argue that the maps should be simpler and rendered in tramp 3D or whatever so the community can provide free maps but I think this may be a wasted opportunity to bring the much needed revenue in. All that happens then is you get loads of low grade maps that not many people play on and it dillutes the online player base. Any new maps need to be available to all from a simple transaction.

Love them or loathe them, I think GPG are the only studio that can make DG2 work. The first DG was flawed, no doubt but the basic touch of genius was there. They're busy with AOE online at the moment and then have to finish K&C so can't see them being available for a while.

April 13, 2011 9:40:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok thread got TL;DR except the first page.

I have spent alot of time with moba games, coming from dota --> demigod --> modding demigod --> currently playing LOL

If you were to work on demigod V1.5

alot of stuff on connectivity has already been said, as has map creation costs (ie too pretty for its own good).

So my wishlist apart from those 2 things would be (as a player):

(for custom games)

Remove:

Ingame stats on opposing team

Ability to see opposing teams lineup (make it blind pick)

Add:

ability to "invite friends" to your team

This would GREATLY enhance the ability to find a game. I personally left demigod due to difficulty in lobbies with getting games with friends. people would complain about a premade and imba and we would get kicked (regardless of real skill). BLIND PICK is the only way to go in a MOBA game.

(As a modder):

Auto download of mods when you join a custom game with mods enabled.

As Frogboy has already stated that V1.5 is less likely than V2.0 then my wishlist for the next game is substantially bigger.

For demigod 2 here are my recommendations:

1. Reduce the number of skills per hero -- alot of ppl complain about the limited number of heroes in demigod. Currently if you were to compare to LOL demigod actually has 40 heroes worth of skills on the 10 heroes, not everyone sees it that way. Limit the number of skills per hero and increase the number of heroes. That way team makeup will define how you fight as much as builds.

2. Substantially increase the number of purchasable items (favormod has a large number of new concepts and there were plenty more i was playing around with). Ingame items variety is VERY important imo. Item variety allows an individual to feel unique in the way that they play their hero of choice and makes for a different game every time you play.

3. Free to Play with micro transactions:

Purchasable:

Heros

Maps -- if enough can be released with the game to allow this to not segregate the community

4. Out of game customisability 

Pls PLS look at LOL runes and masteries (they are not unique to LOL, they are infact present in every RPG for the last 5 years). This could be added to micro-transactions. Keep favoritems as ingame customisablity as well but make prices EQUAL for all favoritems.

5. See stuff for V1.5

Maybe some more stuff when i think about it for a while.

Cheers Exx

April 13, 2011 9:54:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Exxcentric,
Ok thread got TL;DR except the first page.

For demigod 2 here are my recommendations:

1. Reduce the number of skills per hero -- alot of ppl complain about the limited number of heroes in demigod. Currently if you were to compare to LOL demigod actually has 40 heroes worth of skills on the 10 heroes, not everyone sees it that way. Limit the number of skills per hero and increase the number of heroes. That way team makeup will define how you fight as much as builds.

I absolutley disagree.  I LOVE that demigods have multiple skill trees.  This allows you to put more love into each demigod, making better art and animations for each.  I personally hated the cheesey are in LOL, and more heroes would force DG2 to take a similar route.  Also, not knowing how people level there DG can have strategic implecations.  If I don't know your build, I can't pre plan a counter to the build, and you could suprise me with an unexpected build or tactic.  I'd like to see another skill tree for each DG and then some additional tweaks.  Frankly the biggest issues were networking, balance, and matchmaking.  Had those been taken care of, I imgine the metascore would have been much higher and the game would have had a much larger base.

April 13, 2011 10:06:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Frankly the biggest issues were networking, balance, and matchmaking. Had those been taken care of, I imgine the metascore would have been much higher and the game would have had a much larger base.

I can live with the overall balance, but yeah - imagine dg released with solid connectivity and good matchmaking (like sc2 or even LoL).  *dreams* 

April 13, 2011 10:37:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

I absolutley disagree.  I LOVE that demigods have multiple skill trees.  This allows you to put more love into each demigod, making better art and animations for each.  I personally hated the cheesey are in LOL, and more heroes would force DG2 to take a similar route.  Also, not knowing how people level there DG can have strategic implecations.  If I don't know your build, I can't pre plan a counter to the build, and you could suprise me with an unexpected build or tactic.  I'd like to see another skill tree for each DG and then some additional tweaks.  Frankly the biggest issues were networking, balance, and matchmaking.  Had those been taken care of, I imgine the metascore would have been much higher and the game would have had a much larger base.

The reason i suggested limiting the skills is so we can have more demigods. I think builds should be dependent on item choices as much as skill choices.

I personally would liketo see the number of active skills increased by at least 1.

Remove all passives bar 1 for each demigod.

This would allow for both your multiple skill tree options AND allow the developer to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the number of demigods on offer (i think about 20 would be about the optimum number to have). 

Conversely, if skill trees were increased to allow for exclusive skills to be take to allow for deeper build development (think tb ice/fire exclusive) i would be all for that as well. 

Edit: finished reading the rest of the thread now .

I forgot, quoting OMG-Jona: HIRE ME!!!

games are my passion, i would drop everything and move from AU to US to come work for a game developer especially in RPG/RTS areas. Even if that meant that i had to further my education.

April 13, 2011 12:44:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

All these pages and not one mention of a dressing room for Demigods. It would be a side-game where you can have them try on different outfits and hats, have them pose for screenshots, act out different emotes, etc. Then as an addon you could have them build their own houses, apartments, condos. The amount of items and upgrades available to them are directly related to how well they do in the main part of the game. During the fighting part, they earn points that can be used to purchase new outfits, unlock poses, obtain housing parts and so on.

On a MUCH less serious note, what killed the game for me was the network issues and the community being populated by so many people that just wanted to jack the system to try to obtain some sort of internet godhood by having the most wins in Demigod. Not much you can do about the people that play the game, just make it so they can't jack the system.

April 13, 2011 1:30:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Charvel1,
All these pages and not one mention of a dressing room for Demigods. It would be a side-game where you can have them try on different outfits and hats, have them pose for screenshots, act out different emotes, etc. Then as an addon you could have them build their own houses, apartments, condos. The amount of items and upgrades available to them are directly related to how well they do in the main part of the game. During the fighting part, they earn points that can be used to purchase new outfits, unlock poses, obtain housing parts and so on.

+1

April 13, 2011 2:11:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting miriyaka,

Maintaining and tweaking emerging metagame balance, fixing bugs, not botching your game's launch, and fostering a vibrant competitive scene with strong matchmaking and ladder systems are much better and more proven ways of keeping a game's sales strong than random new crap.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.  If there is a Demigod 2, I'm not really stoked on the F2P idea.  Demigod could have been an epic game that rivaled some of the classics, but... well... you all know, Frogboy knows, and GPG... well... who knows what they learned from the whole fiasco.  Frogboy, can the Demigod license be purchased from them so Stardock can just keep it in house?

In a perfect world for me this is what happens:

1) Stardock purchases the IR for Demigod and the rights to make all upcoming sequels.

2) Demigod 2 is announced as a future Stardock production.

3) Demigod 1 is made free at the same time a patch is released to fix as many issues as possible which would hopefully drum up some interest in the upcoming sequel as well as showing any bitter former Demigod players that things will be different for Demigod 2.

4) The Monk will be hired as a connection consultant for DG2, Exxcentric will be a designer/programmer in DG2, and Miriyaka's job will be to stay close to Frogboy and slap some sense into him should the need arise.

April 13, 2011 3:31:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

5) Find TheScottishAlien again and make him lead map designer

6) Steal GPG's art department no matter where they hide

April 13, 2011 4:37:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
5) Find TheScottishAlien again and make him lead map designer

6) Steal GPG's art department

Half of GPG like quit/got laid off since Demigod >.>

April 13, 2011 6:37:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kitkun,

6) Steal GPG's art department

Agreed +1000

April 14, 2011 11:01:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
6) Steal GPG's art department no matter where they hide

hehe.  That said, part of the "curse" of demigod is because of how good it looks.  I don't know all of the in's and outs, but I think granny 3d and perhaps licensing associated with that are the reason the community never received any map modding tools.  And I think it was pretty clear that if we ever had such a resource, we had folks in the community that would have very much taken advantage of it. 

Other things - there's no official word on whether or not Stardock is looking to just buy the IP and develop Demigod themselves, if they would be looking to engage GPG in a sequel, or if there is some other company they'd look to work with if they obtained the rights. 

Quoting Frogboy,
The network code in DG really needs to be redone imo. Supreme Commander (Forge) is a fantastic game but I don't think the net code in it is ideal for handling 8+ people at once in an action game. Peer-to-peer is a good networking model for 1 on 1 to 2 on 2 games (again, my opinion) but when you start to get beyond that a client/server model comes into play typically. Hence, why you have dedicated Counterstrike servers and the like.

Now, I don't know a substantial amount about game engines and network code, but is it even possible to revamp something like the supcom engine to a stable client server model?  And if that's not something that could be done, then it sounds like a different game engine would be required.  Like I said, though, I really don't know and certainly can't speak to that point.

With regards to free to play, I don't necessarily think they would end up going this route.  I like the f2p model in that we get continued support for quite some time, a larger player base etc, but the potential issues with the scope of something like that might be a bit over the top to manage if handled by SD alone.  They'd have to get increased staffing, the payday for the game wouldn't come in the same way they normally generate revenue, if it was client/server - well, just consider the volume of folks that will try a game for free.  Anyway, I personally doubt it will be a f2p game just based on that. 

Anyway, its been said by me and others - good networking/matchmaking is the most critical thing for a successful sequel.  Gameplay is already great.  Build on that and its a winner.

I agree that refining and even increasing the skill trees would be huge.  Even today (albeit the variety isn't exactly huge after >3k games played), I'm still trying out different skill choices on different dgs with diff favor items.  That said, there is so much room to make things even better.  I don't think it would be exceptionally difficult to come up with more varied/useful skill trees, though.  We can pretty easily tell you what doesn't work well at the very least. 

April 14, 2011 12:40:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Although i'm a big fan of GPG's artistic and creational talent at least for Demigod and what would have been kings & castles when & if that gets released, wasn't too keen on the rest of their stuff though. I can see that it would be good to have one house where the buck stops. One of the big problems with DG1 was the back & forth between Stardock and GPG to try and sort the problems out.

I can't see Stardock investing in the talent it would take to create an exceptional DG2 in house. Making ground breaking modern computer games is an expensive business, yes the rewards can be large if you get it right but if you get it wrong...

Isn't the way to sort the connectivity issues out for DG2 to just have the game hosted on servers that people connect to individually rather than P2P or am I being dumb.

If it gets green lighted, beta test it to destruction as I'm sure I don't need to point out a bad launch can can kill a game before it gets out of the blocks.

This may sting a bit but Elemental was supposed to be high confidence on launch bearing in mind the trials of Demigod. If you're not desperate for the cash, there really is no need to rush a game out. I wouldn't be too open about the developement of it either apart from some trusted & veted fan input with regards to video blogs or forum postings as you will just end up getting grief & stress from the community.

Not been keeping tabs on this but has Elemental been a commercial success for Stardock? I bought it on launch but thought it was going to be kings & castles with magic rather than what it was which isn't really my scene.

April 14, 2011 3:00:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
Now, I don't know a substantial amount about game engines and network code, but is it even possible to revamp something like the supcom engine to a stable client server model?

In a nutshell, no.  I'm not aware of any retail game that has ever made the transition from P2P to client-server, or vice versa, and for good reason.

100% of the UI and sim interaction depends on the P2P model, even in a single-player skirmish.  While it might be possible (with immense effort) to re-write that part of the engine to work with a server-arbitrated simulation, it would also require a complete re-write of how the game's render engine interprets sim data, a total re-write of most of the UI lua and some sim lua, and a complete re-envisioning of the gameplay model itself (the number of active objects in game would have to be greatly reduced - basically, there are totally game design different considerations you need to make with a client-server multiplayer model).

P2P-Lockstep 101:

In a P2P multiplayer game, every client runs their own identical copy of the sim, and independently simulates every single unit, projectile, etc in the game, creates a hash of the total sim state every tick, and communicates that with every other client it's connected to.  If it matches, the game continues on.  If it doesn't, you get a desync and the game is over, because the differences between sim states will exponentially compound into the tens of thousands within seconds.

This sounds like a really inefficient way to handle a multiplayer game, until you realize just what it's capable of that a client-server game isn't - for example, Supreme Commander 2 can have tens of thousands of projectiles simulated and in flight at any given time, without changing the size of the hash state that is communicated between clients, because each client simulates those projectiles identically and independently.  If you tried to simulate a fraction of that number in a client-server game where the server is authoritative and simply pushes the simulation data to all clients, even with a slower tickrate (moho's being 10 ticks per second, most client-server games being 30+ ticks per second), the network traffic would balloon into the hundreds of kilobytes per second per client, and the game would be unplayable.

While the engine does have a certain amount of 'base' lag present even in an offline game due to the sim/UI separation, the lag in an actual multiplayer game with ~100-200 ping isn't much worse, and everyone experiences the same amount of lag.  While this is obviously terrible when one person's computer or connection is slow, it allows a much more complex game with no serious lag fluctuations when everyone is up to spec.

So the advantages of this model for a big strategy game like SupCom are pretty evident, but its disadvantages are maybe more significant yet for a fast-paced MOBA like Demigod.

April 14, 2011 3:28:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good explanation -

But what sort of connectivity are games like starcraft 2 and LoL using then.  Not peer to peer?  Are they client server?

April 14, 2011 3:53:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting miriyaka,
If it matches, the game continues on. If it doesn't, you get a desync and the game is over, because the differences between sim states will exponentially compound into the tens of thousands within seconds.
Is it possible to establish a reconnection option with this model? Every once in a while everyone looses internet connection for a split second.

April 14, 2011 6:11:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

An other suggestion : make Halfgod , a Starcraft II mod...

April 14, 2011 6:37:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sequel(or an extension of the Demigod franchise:

I'd give it a multi-tiered level of gameplay. It would still primarily be played as it is, RTS-style but imprint that into a larger-scale dynamic world RPG. Something similar to Mount & Blade.

Instead of arenas with endless swarms of minions, campaign related battlemaps with a variety of terrain with a set army for either side. Again, impacting on an overarching world map with its own geo-political influences...which are of course, ultimately under the strings of The Pantheon...and the Demigods on that earth are like pawns as Achilles and so forth were to Olympus in the Illiad.

April 14, 2011 7:06:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,
But what sort of connectivity are games like starcraft 2 and LoL using then. Not peer to peer? Are they client server?

Nearly all true RTS games are P2P, for the reasons outlined.  It handles greater numbers of active objects much more gracefully than client-server.  I don't know about LoL - it could very well be client-server, since it's not an RTS.  Monday Night Combat and a few other hybrid MOBA/FPS games are client-server.  Generally speaking, the genre spectrum it's closer to (FPS or RTS) will determine the model used because of the advantages they offer.  The only client-server 'true RTS' I can think of was Shattered Galaxy (it had to be to allow you to join/leave battles in progress), which had a much smaller unit limit of 6 per player in a given battle.

StarCraft and StarCraft 2 obviously have much lower complexity, and a much faster tickrate than moho engine games.  That's why they're generally more responsive.  It's definitely possible to make a moho engine game with a faster tickrate and better response times, as well as (as Monk has outlined) improve overall connectivity by using some client-server architecture for lobby hosting and link maintenance.  But the former could not be done in a patch (it would require changing thousands of lines of lua code, even disregarding the engine changes) and the latter would be tough to pull off.

Quoting Zen_God,
Is it possible to establish a reconnection option with this model? Every once in a while everyone looses internet connection for a split second.

Yes, because any good P2P game engine should pause the sim for all peers the moment any peer loses connectivity with any other.  In theory, this allows the peers to reconnect to each other and resume the game, since their sims will still be frozen on the last beat while still in sync, but depending on how robust the game's network handling is, it may not be able to re-establish a connection in time, or at all.

Any time you experience a momentary (<1s) hiccup in multiplayer with a moho engine game, it's probably because connectivity was momentarily lost, or a sim command or state transmission failed, and the game had to freeze until things could be re-negotiated.  Why Demigod is so prone to dropping completely, I do not know.

April 14, 2011 8:38:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So - what we'd ideally need in dg2 would be to still have p2p... just a different engine?  Or perhaps a substantial reduction of "moving parts" with the current version?

April 14, 2011 8:50:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Demigod 2 would have to occupy some planned niche that does not have significant overlap with the more popular MOBA games (and upcoming DotA 2).

April 14, 2011 9:26:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melamine,
Demigod 2 would have to occupy some planned niche that does not have significant overlap with the more popular MOBA games (and upcoming DotA 2).

flag's get captured, yo.    So.... there. 

April 14, 2011 9:44:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To expand on the suggestions I made in reply #94.   I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I'm not convinced that creating the client-server/p2p hybrid I've been posting about wouldn't be that hard to pull off.  Certainly might not seem profitable in regards to DG1 but should definitely be considered for a DG2 (if in fact in the works).  Hell, even if it didn't bring in any money at all (adding the client-server model to take care of lobby and connection management) to DG1 at least SD would have a nice "test-bed" and a built-in community to perform the badly needed real world testing which was missing from DG1 and would be invalubale to any future project.

As miri pointed out, making the overall DG netcode more efficient would definitely require a huge rewrite which would not just be netcode-specific, however creating some kind of netcode addon-module (while not easy to pull off) shouldn't be that bad.  Even if you had to piece parts of existing "hybrid" net-tech together one should be able to come up with a workable product! 

April 15, 2011 1:29:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm all for ideas (and inexpensive ones - methinks we might find a sympathetic ear at SD).

That said - off topic moment.

Saw you had a game up monk.  Sorry I missed you.  Looked up your stats.

Current Favor Points: -120
Favor Points Spent: 700
Favor Points Earned: 580

How do you do that   heh

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000781   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.