The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

RPGs

By on April 3, 2011 5:03:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm in the mood for a new RPG. I will run down the basics of what I like and dislike, as to not bore you to death. I'm just wondering if they make any good RPGs anymore. Seems they are hard to come by.

Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Neverwinter Nights; party style, 3/4 top down, combat pause, D&D lore/character creation

Fallout 1 & 2; immersive world, lore, weapons, driving storyline, a plethora of side quests and choices

Oblivion + crap; not so much the interactive fighting system, immersive world and story, decent crafting, side quests, good graphics at the time seem dated now

Fallout 3; combining Oblivion and Fallout was a good idea...

(Final Fantasy 1; it's not a computer game, but it was my first love and I still play it)

Dislikes:

Witcher; not a fan of the combination fighting thing, 1/2 the game feels like running

Dragon Age: Origins; I really wanted to like this game but the character creation mini-campaign was more fun than the real game, the slow motion fatality shots got old fast, the party system was kind of cool but I found myself taking control of the characters during combat as they didn't seem to AI the way I had them set up, storyline wasn't enough to keep me coming back for more.

Mass Effect; I also really wanted to like this but I got bored with it, felt like a lot of running around, I got to the lesbian scene and quit 

I don't know, there's probably some other crap I forgot to mention, that I can't remember now.

Thanks for your help

+19 Karma | 38 Replies
April 3, 2011 5:15:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have you ever played Arcanum or Vampires the masquerade: bloodlines? They are both worth playing. Arcanum as it is one of the finest examples of the rpg genre and VtMB as it is just a solid rpg experience.  As for modern games, Mount and Blade: Warband is definitely worth trying just for the open ended game play and the insanely well thought out battle system.

April 3, 2011 7:43:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you like action RPG's, you could do a lot worse than Torchlight.

April 3, 2011 10:34:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Try Gothic 2 Gold and Risen.

Or Vampire: Bloodlines.

April 3, 2011 11:02:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga.

April 3, 2011 11:46:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In Arcanum, you can fuck a sheep.  Also, its a great game.  A great game that has sheep fucking.

April 3, 2011 11:59:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Divine Divinity.... good!!!!

its cheap on impulse too 

April 3, 2011 12:06:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Shunmaha,
Divine Divinity.... good!!!!

its cheap on impulse too 

Or you could support the developers by buying directly from them (same goes for Divinity II and the spin off Beyond Divinity).

April 3, 2011 1:35:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think Gothic 2 is the most all around solid of the games mentioned so far, though it's also a bit of a "safe" pick with nothing that exceptionally stands out about it. But it's a good game with a solid story and mechanics.

Arcanum and Bloodline are much less "safe", they both have horrible combat mechanics and no concept of game balance. But you may not care. Both have great worlds with lots of freedom to do stuff, and they stand out with their creativity. If you liked the fallout series there's a good chance that you will like these games.

Finally if you couldn't get into Mass Effect 1, it's possible that you'd like ME2 better. It's a lot better paced with less pointless running around and boring combat slogs. It does streamline a lot of things which many love or hate.

And of course there's also Planescape Torment if we are going into old classics....another game with amazing story and creativity and horrible combat and balance. But a definite classic still.

April 3, 2011 3:17:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FadedC,
Arcanum and Bloodline are much less "safe", they both have horrible combat mechanics and no concept of game balance. But you may not care. Both have great worlds with lots of freedom to do stuff, and they stand out with their creativity. If you liked the fallout series there's a good chance that you will like these games.

A good RPG should not be super concerned with balance, though honestly, I do not agree that Arcanum has horrible combat mechanics or balance. While most will bring up the real time combat as the biggest problem with combat, it is not the intended form of combat. The turn-based combat system is fairly well thought out, though some classes will find some parts harder than others. For instance, swordsmen will have a much harder time dealing with rock golems than a mage simply because their weapons break with each hit. However, combat is not why one plays Arcanum. The game features a quest system which allows players a high level of freedom in figuring out how to accomplish a given quest. In one scenario, the player is asked to acquire a boat, but is given several options on how to do this. One option is to help a pirate ghost, another is to buy one for a lot of money, and a last option is to win a boat in a gamble. On top of this, the story that is told is one of the best of any rpg.

April 3, 2011 5:17:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kenata,

Quoting FadedC,
reply 8
Arcanum and Bloodline are much less "safe", they both have horrible combat mechanics and no concept of game balance. But you may not care. Both have great worlds with lots of freedom to do stuff, and they stand out with their creativity. If you liked the fallout series there's a good chance that you will like these games.

A good RPG should not be super concerned with balance, though honestly, I do not agree that Arcanum has horrible combat mechanics or balance. While most will bring up the real time combat as the biggest problem with combat, it is not the intended form of combat. The turn-based combat system is fairly well thought out, though some classes will find some parts harder than others. For instance, swordsmen will have a much harder time dealing with rock golems than a mage simply because their weapons break with each hit. However, combat is not why one plays Arcanum. The game features a quest system which allows players a high level of freedom in figuring out how to accomplish a given quest. In one scenario, the player is asked to acquire a boat, but is given several options on how to do this. One option is to help a pirate ghost, another is to buy one for a lot of money, and a last option is to win a boat in a gamble. On top of this, the story that is told is one of the best of any rpg.

I disagree that a good RPG should not be concerned with balance. They don't necesarily need to worry about if say a warrior is a little stronger then a wizard. But if they are for example to give the wizard multiple spells they should make sure that one isn't so strong that there is never any reason to use the others. An example of this in arcanum is that one of the early guns you could craft was so strong that you would never use or craft any of the numerous other guns you could craft later on, and also so strong that it trivialized combat. This is a bad thing, although later patches did make it less severe (but still unbalanced).

Even the turn based combat was pretty bad in Arcanum in part due to the poor balance, but it was better then say the combat in planescape. The real time combat was the real train wreck though. Turn based combat wasn't so bad early on but it really broke down later in the game. But I agree that combat is not why you play the game,  as I mentioned though the combat is poor but it's possible to have a lot of fun with the game despite that because of how great the world, questing and options are. Some of the most beloved games had awful combat, and if you can tolerate them you can probably also tolerate arcanum.

I remember arcanum had a ton of game breaking bugs as well, but hopefully those have been fixed by someone somewhere by now.

April 3, 2011 5:32:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This mostly comes through my brother since he does more RPGs and I more RTS, but he loves the Gothic series, of which 4 recently came out. I advise the whole run largely because the story makes the most sense of you play the lot of them and because my brother was hooked from the get go and never felt shafted by any of the sequels. Apparently it's one of those that gets better as you go. Keep in mind that he graphics are pretty old on the first couple, so there's little to ooh and aah about there.

April 3, 2011 6:14:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you for the awesome response so far, everyone.

I have Gothic 3, somewhere, but when I got it at the time, it just wouldn't run on the computer I had. Should I revisit it?

April 3, 2011 6:21:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
Thank you for the awesome response so far, everyone.

I have Gothic 3, somewhere, but when I got it at the time, it just wouldn't run on the computer I had. Should I revisit it?

Just remember to avoid wolves, they (and to some extent other animals) are the most dangerous non-boss enemies in the game.

April 3, 2011 6:30:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lol, in gothic 3.  i remember I was strong enough to take on bunch of orcs, but still died against a boar in 1v1

The gothic series games are awesome

Gothic 2 was really fun, but make sure you play gothic 1 too, its excellent. Gothic 3.... a very good exploration game, and forsaken gods.... so buggy and with terrible optimization, but i think there is an enhanced edition out now

April 3, 2011 6:34:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gothic 3 and the expansion (Forsaken Gods) requires you to go in and remove a text type that causes it to lag. It's really odd, but if you do some searching on the net, you can get details on how to do it. Beyond that, worth revisiting.

April 20, 2011 12:14:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I downloaded the trial version of Mount and Blade: Warband, and I have to say I very much like it. Does the game get even more interesting if I were to get the full version? I mean I assume it would, but is it worth the $30? It seems like a more in depth and interactive (and better) version of The Guild, which isn't too bad.

Thoughts?

April 20, 2011 12:26:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know this is the pc gaming forum, but do you have any consoles, etc?  That opens up some other good options. 

April 20, 2011 12:36:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

nah i dont like consoles, not anything past NES/SNES and I have lots of RPGs for them and have beaten them all, many times, lol

April 20, 2011 2:44:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
I downloaded the trial version of Mount and Blade: Warband, and I have to say I very much like it. Does the game get even more interesting if I were to get the full version? I mean I assume it would, but is it worth the $30? It seems like a more in depth and interactive (and better) version of The Guild, which isn't too bad.

Thoughts?

In my opinion M&B:Warband is a great buy at any price. It is an interesting blend of the RPG, 4x, and sandbox genres with a great mod community.

April 20, 2011 10:16:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kenata,
In my opinion M&B:Warband is a great buy at any price. It is an interesting blend of the RPG, 4x, and sandbox genres with a great mod community.

Agreed. I picked this up about a few weeks ago, and just love it. I've put in almost 20 hours on it and still feel like I've barely even broken into the game yet. Great combat system. Good strategy elements. Empire building (of a sort). Better than expected RPG elements. Fun and distinct game phases.

Moral of the story: it's a real sweet game.

April 20, 2011 11:09:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have to admit, I bought it last night, and since I am calling in "sick" to work this whole week, I've been dumping tons of time into it and I absolutely love it. This is pretty much what I was looking for. I've found a good mod pack to add extra depth. $30 = great buy

April 20, 2011 11:26:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
I have to admit, I bought it last night, and since I am calling in "sick" to work this whole week, I've been dumping tons of time into it and I absolutely love it. This is pretty much what I was looking for. I've found a good mod pack to add extra depth. $30 = great buy

I wish I could do that. I use Diplomacy, and have turned off the stat loss for 'old age.' What mods do you use? I've been tempted to try out one of the Europe 1200 mods, but am afraid that my computer can't handle it.

April 21, 2011 3:04:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Diplomacy is one of the best mods. Especially for the late game when you are trying to do your own faction.

April 21, 2011 5:41:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Diplo is awesome, and imo "Battlefield Tactics" is a must have also.

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2743

"Native Mod Compilation - Full 0.9" is the name

April 21, 2011 3:45:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you have a strong enough computer, you should use a battle size modifier. Battles of 100 v 100 are ok, but 300 v 300 are wildly amazing

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.